Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Disney Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disney Cruise Line
Read Disney Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Disney Cruise Deals.

Old December 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bed Bugs on Fantasy?

Has any one had any trouble with bed bugs on the Fantasy? or any type of biting insects?

We just got home from an Eastern Carib cruise Dec 15-22 on Fantasy.

On the 20th I woke up with a bunch of bites on my ankle. I mentioned it to my mom and son, but neither of them had any bites. While waiting for the rest of my family to get ready to leave the room I lied down across the pillows on the bed. When I got up I had four more bites on my arm. I went to guest services who sent me to the nurse. All of which accomplished nothing. They did send a sanitation guy to check our room and remove the bedding. They told me no bugs were found. Honestly I would not have expected them to tell me the truth if they did find any bugs.

After they removed the bedding I didn't get any more bites.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYRCR View Post
Has any one had any trouble with bed bugs on the Fantasy? or any type of biting insects?

We just got home from an Eastern Carib cruise Dec 15-22 on Fantasy.

On the 20th I woke up with a bunch of bites on my ankle. I mentioned it to my mom and son, but neither of them had any bites. While waiting for the rest of my family to get ready to leave the room I lied down across the pillows on the bed. When I got up I had four more bites on my arm. I went to guest services who sent me to the nurse. All of which accomplished nothing. They did send a sanitation guy to check our room and remove the bedding. They told me no bugs were found. Honestly I would not have expected them to tell me the truth if they did find any bugs.

After they removed the bedding I didn't get any more bites.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues.
Had you been on a beach that day? Could be sand fleas.

Or any of a mirad of other insects that live on the islands you were visiting.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think I'd believe them if they said the didn't find any bedbugs.

Old December 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Fantasy the week before you (12/8 sailing) and had no problems. We were part of a very large (300+) group on that sailing and have heard no reports of bug bites.

Old December 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo here View Post
Had you been on a beach that day? Could be sand fleas.

Or any of a mirad of other insects that live on the islands you were visiting.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think I'd believe them if they said the didn't find any bedbugs.

I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse Slide Show...http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...are=1&cs=&lb=1

Disney Dream - August 15-18, 2013; Celebrity Solstice - May 6-15, 2013; Celebrity Eclipse - March 10-17, 2012; RCI Oasis of the Seas - June 18, 2011; Carnival Conquest - December 26,2010; Celebrity Infinity - July 16, 2010; Celebrity Century - January 16, 2010; RCI Monarch of the Seas - March 13, 2009; RCI Adventure of the Seas - July 27, 2008; Disney Magic - July 25, 2009, May 27, 2006 & June 9, 2000

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Our son had what appeared to be bites on his legs but after a couple of disney cruises (and other hotel stays), we determined it to be sensitivity to some laundry product/process. We bought him a sleep sack (washed at home) and all issues disappeared.

I believe that the cruise ship laundry process is a very aggressive process with high water temp and detergents that (a) kill just about anything that could be killed and (b) create an opportunity for sensitivity not usually experienced elsewhere.

/Jeff

Old December 31st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just removing the bedding would not remove bed bugs..they are in and on the mattresses and other parts of the bed, and would move back to the new bedding pretty fast.

We were on the Fantast Nove 1-8, no one reported anything that we heard of.

This does sound more like sand flies.................

AKK

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Just removing the bedding would not remove bed bugs..they are in and on the mattresses and other parts of the bed, and would move back to the new bedding pretty fast.

AKK
I agree. Removing the bedding does nothing.

I was just on for Christmas and we were fine. No bed bug bites.

Old January 6th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We werent on the Fantasy, but the Dream in late September. My son had what looked like small bite marks on him and they itched him horribly. We talked to housekeeping and they use very, very strong industrial detergents on their bedding. My son has very sensitive skin, so we were sure it had to be that. They gave us extra bedding and we washed it with a packet of tide free and clear and then dried it with no dryer sheets. He was fine after that -

Old January 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

It was not bed bugs based on what you described. Most likely a reaction to the detergent in the linens which can often mimic tiny bites. In fact it is your skins reaction to the chemicals. Or as others have said, you brought some hitchhikers back from a shore excursion.
RCL Mariner of the Seas
RCL Independence of the Seas
RCL Oasis of the Seas
RCL Allure of the Seas
NCL EpicX2
Disney FantasyX2
Disney DreamX3
Princess Royal Princess
NCL Getaway 3/14
Disney Magic 4/14
Seabourn Sojoum 8/14

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

AKK
+1 Word.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ok well.. we were on the Fantasy this past June. The day after our Cozumel Mayan Ruins tour, I had what looked like a mosquito bite on my ankle. I didn't think much of it, figured it was from being in the jungle. A week after getting home, I was covered in bites. And yes, I found live bed bugs. It cost us a TON of money to take care of it.

I do not know if we picked them up at the hotel before the cruise, if they were on the cruise, or just managed to have one get on my suitcase in the airplane.. or... something.

I was one of the people who always think "it doesn't happen that much, or certainly would never happen to ME". I have always put my suitcase on the bed in the hotel and ship, and then at home as well. Never again. What a nightmare.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Did you stay in a hotel the night before your cruise? Bed bug bites can actually take a day or two to show up.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzkdz View Post
Ok well.. we were on the Fantasy this past June. The day after our Cozumel Mayan Ruins tour, I had what looked like a mosquito bite on my ankle. I didn't think much of it, figured it was from being in the jungle. A week after getting home, I was covered in bites. And yes, I found live bed bugs. It cost us a TON of money to take care of it.

I do not know if we picked them up at the hotel before the cruise, if they were on the cruise, or just managed to have one get on my suitcase in the airplane.. or... something.

I was one of the people who always think "it doesn't happen that much, or certainly would never happen to ME". I have always put my suitcase on the bed in the hotel and ship, and then at home as well. Never again. What a nightmare.
Please do us all a favor and call DCL to tell them what happened and give them your stateroom number. They should inspect and change the mattresses if necessary.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Mick View Post
Please do us all a favor and call DCL to tell them what happened and give them your stateroom number. They should inspect and change the mattresses if necessary.
I agree, I would definitely let the cruise line know just in case it was from the cabin. It could also be from the airplane as well. My hubby is an aviation mechanic and told me that there are plenty of times that the planes have bed bugs.

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agreed,

Report it to DCL so they can investigate it even if it was sand fleas etc.
Dont let more families suffer if someone had brought BB onboard!

ex techie

EX DCL CM
extechie3 @ gmail dot com

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Having been on a number of Cozumel Mayan Ruins tours and seeing the local bugs, I wear bug spray, but I known many who haven't and got similar reactions a few days later.
  • Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western.Trip report. Here
  • I have a RCI blog as well here.
  • Disney Magic Cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
  • Over 16 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We talked to our local vector control, found live bugs on our mattress here at home, and I've already talked to Disney. As I said however, I don't have any proof that it was one particular place that we got them. Could have been the hotel in Florida, could have been the ship, one of the places we visited or the airplane/airport. No real way to tell. Just an unpleasant and expensive little problem to take care of!

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just got off Fantasty..no bugs for us.

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. The first thing I did when we got the room was check the mattress. I've heard that if you lift the sheets and look at the mattress you would see little black specks. Our room was clear. We did get a couple of bites prob sand fleas while on shore at the beach. I don't think it was at the room.

Kapsgirl

Cunard Countess August 1984
Daphne Sept 1986
NCL Norway Nov. 2001
Carnival Pride April 2005
NCL Star January 2009
Disney Fantasy August 2013

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapsgirl View Post
We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. The first thing I did when we got the room was check the mattress. I've heard that if you lift the sheets and look at the mattress you would see little black specks. Our room was clear. We did get a couple of bites prob sand fleas while on shore at the beach. I don't think it was at the room.
I do the same thing. Whether a cruise ship, hotel room or luxury resort. I always check the mattress before anything. Any place no matter where can have bed bugs.