Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anyone know what percentage and or number of passengers/crew coming down with the Noro it takes for the QM2 to go into a CODE RED ?

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi grandsix. Sorry, I don't know anything about CODE RED...what happens during CODE RED? Thanks, S.

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Hi grandsix. Sorry, I don't know anything about CODE RED...what happens during CODE RED? Thanks, S.
Ship is taken out of service until CDC approves for it to sail again. Has happened on other lines when there is a severe outbreak of the NORO

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for your reply Grandsix. I guess I've been very lucky - 13 or 14 cruises in the past 5 years (10 or 11 on QM2) and none had a Noro outbreak. That's one experience I'm happy to have avoided Regards, S.

Last edited by Salacia; December 28th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi
I wonder does anyone have any information of the situation regarding noro on Queen Victoria? Also I wonder if Cunard monitor passengers who transfer from a ship which has been infected to a ship which isn't. For example, I know there are people transferring from the 3rd January crossing from New York to southampton (either QM2 or QE) to Queen VIctoria for the voyage back to New York.
Sandie

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Thanks for your reply Grandsix. I guess I've been very lucky - 13 or 14 cruises in the past 5 years (10 or 11 on QM2) and none had a Noro outbreak. That's one experience I'm happy to have avoided Regards, S.
Speaking from the experience of a ton of sea days, keep sailing, it is just a matter of time. Not a pleasant experience to be in and around a heavy NORO breakout much less coming down with it. There is a good chance you have already cruised on a ship with minor breakouts without knowing it.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhw View Post
Hi
I wonder does anyone have any information of the situation regarding noro on Queen Victoria? Also I wonder if Cunard monitor passengers who transfer from a ship which has been infected to a ship which isn't. For example, I know there are people transferring from the 3rd January crossing from New York to southampton (either QM2 or QE) to Queen VIctoria for the voyage back to New York.
Sandie
Good question. There is a possibility that those moving to the Victoria could be denied boarding. It is their option. Not sure management would want potential carriers.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The guilty people..............

Outbreak after outbreak of this virus are reported and the blame tends to be put at the door of the ships crew or the ships owners. I am sick of saying on many forums that in my opinion the major contributor to the virus on board cruise ships are the passengers....

Hand sanitisers are not used, in fact deliberately avoided, by some passengers and I have witnessed, time after time that basic hygiene such as washing of hands in the toilets is not carried out by passengers. Mt wife has confirmed that she witnesses similar lapses in the ladies toilets.

I have no axe to grind with either cruise lines or cruise passengers, but I am appalled at the lack of common sense or the downright nasty habits of some passengers whom I presume will be some of the first to be chasing compensation for the "ruined" holiday which they themselves have contributed towards.
Canada & New England - Grand Princess - October 2008
Fjords & North Cape - Grand Princess - May 2011
Mediterranean - Queen Victoria - October 2011
Europe, Arts & Craft Cruise - Ocean Countess - May 2012
Fjords & Waterfalls - Queen Victoria - June 2012
Azores & Canary Islands - Celebrity Eclipse - Oct 2012
Atlantic Isles Discovery - Queen Victoria - May 2013
Fjords & Waterfalls - Queen Victoria - June 2013

Future Cruises:
Wonders of the Mediterranean - Queen Victoria - October 2014

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsix View Post
Ship is taken out of service until CDC approves for it to sail again. Has happened on other lines when there is a severe outbreak of the NORO
That's only when the ship travels over at least two voyages with the number of confirmed norovirus patients at high levels and not significantly decreasing. The QM2 is nowhere near that stage yet. It will be interesting to see what happens with the norovirus levels during the next voyage.

You can be sure that Cunard will be very vigilant for the start of the world cruises. The norovirus outbreak on the 2010 Christmas cruise did not carry over into the subsequent QM2 world cruise commencing in early 2011.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajo5601 View Post
Outbreak after outbreak of this virus are reported and the blame tends to be put at the door of the ships crew or the ships owners. I am sick of saying on many forums that in my opinion the major contributor to the virus on board cruise ships are the passengers....

Hand sanitisers are not used, in fact deliberately avoided, by some passengers and I have witnessed, time after time that basic hygiene such as washing of hands in the toilets is not carried out by passengers. Mt wife has confirmed that she witnesses similar lapses in the ladies toilets.

I have no axe to grind with either cruise lines or cruise passengers, but I am appalled at the lack of common sense or the downright nasty habits of some passengers whom I presume will be some of the first to be chasing compensation for the "ruined" holiday which they themselves have contributed towards.
Agreed. Too many passengers (male and female) sadly do dot wash their hands after going to the bathroom. This is also a reason most if not all of the ships officers on any line will go back to their cabin to attend to their bathroom needs.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Agreed. Too many passengers (male and female) sadly do dot wash their hands after going to the bathroom. This is also a reason most if not all of the ships officers on any line will go back to their cabin to attend to their bathroom needs.
True, but sometimes it is just bad luck that an outbreak occurs. On either the QM2 world cruise 2009 or 2010 there was an outbreak of severe gastrointestinal disease that started after the ship left Singapore. Subsequent investigations established that the illness was introduced by a group of passengers who had all travelled together to Singapore on the same plane to board the ship.

PS - None of this is reported officially as there is no obligation for Cunard to report such outbreaks to the CDC when the ships are not in the vicinity of the US waters.

Last edited by Louise D; December 28th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Sanitizers are of little effect against viruses. No objection to the rest of your post.

I've begun washing my hands before I wash my hands, after which I wash my hands...

Past:
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2013
Carnival Pride (Bahamas) - October 2013
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2012
Caribbean Princess (Scandinavia) - July 2012
Queen Victoria (Hawaii) - February 2012
Queen Mary 2 (Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing) - October 2011
Queen Victoria (Panama Canal Transit) - March 2011
Queen Mary 2 (New England/Canada) - September 2010

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwatr View Post
Sanitizers are of little effect against viruses. No objection to the rest of your post.

I've begun washing my hands before I wash my hands, after which I wash my hands...
They are against noro as it is usually spread by touch and transfered to the mouth. It is not caught, as most viruses, by airborn germs.

Old December 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovccruiser View Post
They are against noro as it is usually spread by touch and transfered to the mouth. It is not caught, as most viruses, by airborn germs.
Although ethanol-based sanitizers are effective against some viruses, this may not be true of the dreaded Norwalk virus and related strains. That, at least, is the conclusion of this interesting study. http://bitesizebio.com/articles/does...emove-viruses/

I'll still avail myself of the sanitizer onboard. After all, anything is probably better than nothing, and you never know what other bugs may be lurking. But scrupulous hand washing would seem to be the safest route.

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default ABC News Story

Appeared on TV in the US:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/noro...s-ill-18086141

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Speaking from the experience of a ton of sea days, keep sailing, it is just a matter of time. Not a pleasant experience to be in and around a heavy NORO breakout much less coming down with it. There is a good chance you have already cruised on a ship with minor breakouts without knowing it.

Hi grandsix. No doubt you are correct.

On one QM2 voyage, three passengers at the same table of six ordered the same desset. After taking two bites, we knew there there was something wrong. It was the last night of the cruise. I was sick to my stomach that night, and one tablemate who ate the same dessert later e-mailed that he was sick to his stomach on the flight home. It wasn't Noro, it was a food gone bad, in my opinion.

I was on the QM2 'Caribbean Fiesta' last year. The problem I encountered was not with Noro virus, but rather a rampant upper respiratory infection. The CDC requires reporting of gastro-intestional illness, but there is no requirement to report respiratory infections. Curious that is.

Last edited by Salacia; December 28th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Old December 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwatr View Post

I read your post, then I decided to read the rest of your sentence before I washed my hands again...I did not touch my face, or any living creature before I made this post...and now I will go wash my hands again. Only kidding. I'm wearing latex gloves

Edited to add: Best wishes for the new year to you and Ms. Underwatr

Last edited by Salacia; December 28th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Old December 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just announced on a NY tv station about the QM2 and noro. Said that 194 passengers are affected. Didn't make a big deal of it -- just said that the QM2 was on a Christmas cruise to the Caribbean. Hope all are well.

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Virus will reproduce at any given chance. No need to assign blame, just be aware of the facts.

copied from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/faq/faq.htm#spread?

How does infectious gastroenteritis spread?

Infections causing gastroenteritis can be spread by contaminated food or water or through an infected food handler. Individuals who are symptomatic with gastroenteritis can spread illness to others by touching handrails, elevator buttons, and shared utensils, as well as through direct intimate contact with others while they are ill.

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:48 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxted View Post
Although ethanol-based sanitizers are effective against some viruses, this may not be true of the dreaded Norwalk virus and related strains. That, at least, is the conclusion of this interesting study. http://bitesizebio.com/articles/does...emove-viruses/

I'll still avail myself of the sanitizer onboard. After all, anything is probably better than nothing, and you never know what other bugs may be lurking. But scrupulous hand washing would seem to be the safest route.
Quite right. Hey, wouldn't Pol Acker serve as a great disinfectant? It's ethanol based, isn't it? Crikey, it's not only good for a sip at sailway, but also a great mouth wash, hand sanitizer, and toilet bowl cleanser all one! Make that bottle last through the voyage - it's multi-purpose! Cheers, -S