Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
10,000+ Club

Default FoS makes UK Press

Biker group on board..... sigh. Link here.
Oasis of the Seas - B2B - Barcelona - Barcelona - Rotterdam - Sept 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Not called a blog but it is one :
Day visit to Celebrity Eclipse July 5th 2014 here
Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014 Bit of a blog here
Adventure of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - 4th November 2013 Bit of a blog here
M/S Chardonnay : Cote d'Azur - Paris : 1st August 2013 Bit of a blog here
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 17th March 2013 Bit of a (surprise) blog here
Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012 Bit of a blog :here
Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog :here Link to pics : here and here
Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010
Bit of a blog : here
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here
Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here
Link to pics : here
Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here

Where I'm Going :
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3rd May 2015 : Singapore - Dubai
Celebrity Solstice - 14th February 2016 : B2B : Auckland - Perth (Fremantle) - Sydney

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It looks like everyone except the family that was complaining had a great time.

HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014
RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004

Old December 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Not good press for Royal Caribbean at all.

Had I been onboard that cruise with my family, I would also been absolutely horrified.

I am relatively good with doing picture reviews. You would certainly be seeing my picture review of that cruise right here on cruise critic!!

Last edited by Iluvcruising2; December 29th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Old December 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Bikers cruises are from what I heard lots of fun. have been hoping I would eventually luck into one of their cruises, though I'm not going to go out of my way looking for the charter.

Radiance of the Seas07/03/15
Oasis of the Seas 10/26/13
Oasis of the Seas 6/8/13
Brilliance of the Seas 2/23/13
Freedom of the Seas 11/27/11
Liberty of the Seas 1/10/10 Flurries in Mia the evening before we left
Carnival Liberty 1/24/09
Explorer of the Seas 4/22/07
Jewel of the Seas 12/10/06
Fantasy 4/29/06
Explorer of the Seas 10/24/04
Dawn Princess 10/12/03
Voyager of the Seas 12/01/02
Adventurer of the Seas 4/21/02
Sea Breeze 06/98
RHMS Atlantis 06/72

Old December 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The video looked like the same one that Royal does but with more spectators!!

Just goes to show-It's not your ship and other people may be on, in large groups having a great time.

Great press for Royal. Loved this:

A spokesman said: ‘We welcome all groups who choose to sail with us and we are not prejudiced against any guests.
‘On this particular sailing, the majority of customers had a great holiday.’

If Royal would only cater to the Mrs.Empsons of the world, that would be bad press!!!
RCCL Serenade of the Seas 2010
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2012
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2013
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2014
Next Up:
Thinking Breakaway!!

Last edited by Debde; December 29th, 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Location: South Florida (previously lived in NYC, Washington DC, Israel, Cuba, Uruguay, & NJ)

That is alot of bikers and looks like they were the majority on the cruisers, however, all cruises have groups on board where the ship blocks sections or rooms for "private events". Every ship, regardless of cruiseline, does this.

Royal is knows for its belly flop, Miss Bicep, Sexiest Man, hairiest leg contests. And I have seen some complete strangers (female judges) getting very frisky with the competitors. I look forward to these fun afternoons, although I admit sometimes I cringe at the behavior, but its all good in the end. I've also seen some couples get amorous (no sex though) in the hot tubs and pools. She didn't exactly say she saw that so why its been reported is vague.

I sympathize for the complainant, although she and her kids look a little uptight in the pictures, and wonder if this was their first cruise. Cruising is no longer for the newlywed and nearly dead. She expected a cruise filled with retirees??? Where has she been the last 10 years. I think it was nice of Royal to give them anything.

The world is not going to come to you. The sooner you realize this, the more time you'll have to pack. Get out there!

Upcoming Sailings
I have no cruise control; it's like the cruises book themselves
11/6/2014 - Regal Princess - U.S. Inaugural (Inside) Princess virgins
4/6/2015 - Rhapsody - Queensland (JS) BOGOHO precruise to Sydney, Adelaide, McLaren Vale & Barossa wineries, Melbourne and Kangaroo Island
9/18/2015 - Brilliance OTS - 9 night New England/Canada (corner aft) BOGOHO

Upcoming Business land based
October - Mexico[/color]
November - Mexico

Past Cruise History
RCI - Enchantment 2X, Navigator 2X, Mariner; Grandeur, Jewels 2X, Majesty 6X, Allure 2X, Oasis 2X, Radiance, Liberty 6X, Independence, Monarch, Serenade 2x, Legend, Adventure
Celebrity - Reflection, Constellation, Infinity
Carnival - Glory; Destiny; Celebration
Disney - Disney Dream
Other Travel History
North America (includes Central & Caribbean): United States (45 of 50 states plus DC & PR), Canada (5 Provinces), Mexico (21 of 31 states) plus Mexico City, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba (work related), Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Dominica, Belize, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Cayman
South America: Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil
Europe: Germany, France, Finland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Vatacin City, Austria, Greece
Africa: South Africa
Asia: China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Philippines, Korea, VietNam

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bikers

I happened to be in Panama City Beach FL during an annual bike rally. There were a lot of professional people, doctors, lawyers, teachers etc. that were part of the group and spent more money on their bikes and trailers that I spent on my car. So contrary to popular belief not all bikers are not Hell's Angels.

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

What she doesn't realize is that the High Seas Rally is an extremely succesfull fundraiser. There are a number of dialysis patients on board getting a great vacation and their needed treatment (nurses, equipment etc...) provided by the money raised by that "rowdy" group. That group also pays a premium for their cabins in order to take part, raise money etc... I am waiting for the time I can catch one of those trips and plan on having a ball. Just goes to show you can't please everyone. When is the next one??

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM
10,000+ Club

Is she serious? I am all for "family cruising" but she was "disgusted by the bellyflop contest". She needs to stay away from any mainstream cruise.

I can imagine that ANY group that size would take over a cruise but come on - she seems a little dramatic.

And they are a fundraiser cruise.

Am I the only one who googles my sailing date and ship name before I leave to make sure we don't have large groups?

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
she seems a little dramatic.
Considering the article wasn't exactly printed in the New York Times, I guess we need to consider the source. Gotta love the UK press. (No offense, Brits--we have our share, too!)

Teddie

Last edited by teddie; December 29th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddie View Post
Considering the article wasn't exactly printed in the New York Times, I guess we need to consider the source. Gotta love the UK press. (No offense, Brits--we have our share, too!)

Teddie
I was thinking the same thing - isn't the Daily Mail like our National Enquirer?

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing - isn't the Daily Mail like our National Enquirer?
I think you are correct

Teddie.

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

She sounds like a stuck up prude to me....

Can't wait to see the fall out from the Carnvial Drag Queen cruise
Adventure of the Seas Feb 23-March 2
Adventure of the Seas March 2-March 9 *Emerald*

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykitteh View Post
she sounds like a stuck up prude to me....

Can't wait to see the fall out from the carnvial drag queen cruise
lol!!!

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have a good friend that cruises annually on this Hogs of the High Seas fundraiser. While it may be a tad intimidating, the bikers on these cruises are all fairly wealthy professionals and generally are paying rates 2 and 3 times the amount that the rest of us pay. It really is a very charitable group doing some great work. I know some of the activities may be unconventional, but I could not imagine them being out of line. I think this woman's complaints might be on some of the activities that normally occur on cruises (like the belly flop contest and other pool side activities). I do believe the dress code is changed though to be more casual.

Their work with Dialysis patients is wonderful. Among other things, they pay for some patients to come onboard with them:
"We also bring approx.16 bikers onboard every cruise that are on Kidney dialysis machines. Since they are unable to travel, we pay for and bring the dialysis machines and medical staff onboard for their treatments, give each of them a Balcony Suite, pay for their round trip airfare and give them $400 to spend during the week….all FREE. Because, they need to have fun too."
7/12 Sapphire Princess-(Alaska) | 11/12 RCI Mariner | 1/14 RCI Allure | 2/14 NCL Sky |
7/14 Island Princess-(Alaska Again!) |2/15 Caribbean Princess |8/15 RCI Serenade (Norwegian Fjords!)

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with you all - nothing in the description or photos is over the top or unusual for a Royal Caribbean cruise. Of the many times that we've sailed Royal Caribbean, we've never seen the belly flop or sexiest man contests because they're just not our thing, but we've been able to successfully avoid them by doing something else on the ship. I wonder why this family didn't do the same? It's way too easy to find alternative activities - one of the many reasons we love RCI.

@crusinmama06: Nope, we google our cruises as well to see if there are any large groups or themes. Our next cruise turned out to be a Cajun Music cruise, which might be fun!

PS - that's so great that the Biker group was raising money for a good cause.

Past Cruises
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2014 - Eastern Caribbean / Explorer of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2013 - Caribbean (Review) / Vision of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2013 - Scandinavian and Russia (Review) / Navigator of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2013 - Caribbean / Seven Seas Mariner - Regent Seven Seas - 2012 - Honeymoon! - Mediterranean / Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2011 - Caribbean / Queen Mary 2 - Cunard - 2010 - Transatlantic / Solstice - Celebrity - 2010 - Caribbean / Explorer of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2009 - Bermuda / Adventurer of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - 2008 - Caribbean / Explorer - Gap Adventures - 2007 - Antarctica! / Elation - Carnival - 2002 - Mexico Rivera / Century - Celebrity - 2001 - Caribbean / Can't Remember - Carnival - 1998 - Alaska

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope she didn't go to The Quest. It can be quite shocking.

I sympathize with someone who planned a relaxing cruise and found themselves surrounded by a specialty group that booked out a large number of cabins. It as not the vacation they planned. But I think they missed a chance to discover a vacation unplanned by talking and getting to know some of the group members and finding out why they like doing such a cruise.

Bikers, Christians, and many, many more groups take over cruise ships, hotels for a weekend, and so on. If you really do not want to cruise with such a group, you need to do your own research. Cruise lines make money off these groups. They know if they disclose, others will not want to book the remaining cabins. So you need to use a search engine and determine yourself if that ship and date coincide with any special group offers.

LoneStarJeffe

Our Cruises
1990 - 3 night on the "Mardi Gras" (Caribbean)
1993 - 7 night on the "Westerdam" (Caribbean)
2005 - 12 night on the "Galaxy" (Panama Canal)
2008 - 7 night on "Voyager of the Seas" (Caribbean)
2009 - 7 night on "Voyager of the Seas" (Caribbean)
2009 - 7 night on "Radiance of the Seas" (Alaska)
2011 - 7 night on "Voyager of the Seas" (Caribbean)
2013 - 12 night on the Enchantment of the Seas (Caribbean)
2014 - 7 night on Navigator of the Seas (Caribbean)

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well... If you book a cruise on a +3.500 passenger ship... There are gonna be some other passengers onboard.

Frequent CC board readers realize it could just as easily have been a group of noisy teenagers blocking the stairs who ruined her cruise.

Of course one could easily argue a group of bikers tend to be a bit louder than your average stateroom neighbor. But a cruise is a cruise. There are gonna be a lot of people with other values than you onboard.

If it's that important not to be disturbed by people pushing the limits of fun, maybe cruising is the wrong kind of vacation.

With that said I'm sure I would have made a lot of new friends and have the time of my life on that cruise.

My personal web page about Caribbean Cruising (in swedish):
karibienkryssning.com

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Loved it

We were on a Freedom cruise with a bunch of bikers, had a great time. On the cruise from the OP, Twenty five hundred of them, wow, what a party and who ever was the travel agency who booked them, almost a full ship. I wonder how far in advance this was booked.

"Without change, there can be no NOSTALGIA"
(Ghost Train To the Eastern Star)

Completed travel videos, more to to come????
https://www.youtube.com/user/nansea1/videos

Old December 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddie View Post
I think you are correct

Teddie.
I wouldn't consider the Daily Mail anything like the National Enquirer which, according to Wikipedia is considered a supermarket tabloid. The Daily Mail is a daily national newspaper, although also considered a tabloid, but a middle market one, whatever that means

They got a full credit for a future cruise, so they just need to be careful next time, not bad though 2 cruises for the price of 1

Last edited by peteukmcr; December 29th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.