Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Will an ocean cruise line buy a river cruise line?

I was wondering. As river cruising is booming and ocean cruise lines are continually faced with a search for new itineraries - is it likely that one of the ocean lines might acquire a river cruise company? Europe has been a booming market over the past decade, but itinerary boredom can set in. (From personal experience, we did E Med, W Med and Baltics already and are doing our first river cruise in April)

Certainly, the business and economics are different from ocean cruises (especially labor costs) - but I still think that river itineraries could be a profitable addition to Princess, HAL or Celebrity/RCI.

By the way, I'm not necessarily a proponent of this (I'd appreciate payment terms more in line with US standards, but I'd hate to see creeping fees) - I'm just wondering why it hasn't happened yet or if it is likely to occur soon.

AMACello - Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011,
Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009,
Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007,
Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005,
Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001,
Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000,
Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999,
Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997,
Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991,
Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989,
Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987

Last edited by MarkBearSF; January 11th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

What about a river cruise line buying up an ocean line or even starting its own ocean-bound itineraries?

General discussion for
Viking's China itineraries: PART 1 (read-only but still helpful) and PART 2 (the active discussion continues)

PHOTOS: CHINA'S CULTURAL DELIGHTSVIKING CHINA PHOTOBLOG • BUENOS AIRES TO VALPARAISO • BALTIC CAPITALS/St.PETERSBURG • FOOTSTEPS OF THE COSSACKS PHOTOBLOG •

JOURNALS: CHINA WITH VIKING • Footsteps of the Cossacks (Ukraine with Viking)

E-mail Peregrina651

AT SEA: 1983
-- NCL
Caribbean •
1985 -- Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise 1997 -- NCL Alaska • 2000 -- Renaissance Istanbul to Athens 2001 -- Celebrity Horizon - Southern Caribbean • 200? -- NCL Boston to Bermuda 2005 -- Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean • 2006 -- RCCL - LA to Ensenada 2007 Celebrity Century --Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals •2009 Celebrity Infinity-- South America around the Horn ......

RIVER DAYS
2010 --Viking River Cruises 'China's Cultural Delights' • Viking'Footsteps of the Cossacks

"Caminando no hay caminos, se hace el camino el andar." Miguel de Unamuno

Old January 13th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Peter Deilman tried that with the Deutschland, mainly for a German clientele. They ceased operations on river cruising some time ago, but are talking about reviving it. Unfortunately, their ships are out of date compared to AMA and the Viking longships.

Old January 13th, 2013, 04:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Yes, Deilmann had both. But they went bankrupt and had to sell all river cruise ships. In the meantime the company has been sold and noone of the Deilmann familiy is involved anymore. The new Deilmann company is now offering river cruises as group cruises on one of the former Deilmann river ships. I wouldn´t say that the DertourMozart is out of date. Yes, it´s an older ship. But cabins are 20 or 22 sqm. So by the time she was built in the mid 1980ies she was way ahead. River cruise cabins had a standard of 11 to 15 sqm for decades. Now as more and more ocean cruisers are trying out river cruises there´s a demand for larger cabins. But remember the ocean going vessels 20 plus years ago? Cabins weren´t large either. I´ve been on the Majesty of the Seas in an 11 sqm sized outside cabin (no balconies unless you´ve booked a junior suite).

But let´s say it like this: There´s a developpment going the other way round. Viking River Cruises is currently building two ocean going vessels.

steamboats

Delta Queen 08/95 Pittsburgh - Cincinnati * Delta Queen 05/98 Cincinnati - Paducah (Nashville) * Delta Queen 07/01 St. Louis - Ottawa * Delta Queen 10/02 St. Louis - Clarksville (Nashville) * Delta Queen 07/03 St. Louis - St. Paul - Mississippi Queen 11/04 New Orleans roundtrip / Thanksgiving - Mississippi Queen 06/05 New Orleans - St. Louis / Great Steamboat Race - Columbia Queen 08/05 Portland roundtrip - Empress of the North 09/05 Juneau roundtrip - Deilmann´s Mozart 03/06 Passau roundtrip - Mississippi Queen 07/06 St. Louis - St. Paul / 30th Anniversary - Deilmann´s Dresden 05/07 Dresden - Hamburg - American Queen 08/07 Pittsburgh - Louisville - American Queen 08/08 St. Louis - Red Wing - MS Belvedere 12/11 Passau roundtrip - Queen of the Mississippi 08/13 Cincinnati - St. Louis - MS Amelia 12/13 Köln roundtrip

Grandeur otS 04/07 - Western Caribbean / New Orleans -Norwegian Gem 05/08 Barcelona / Western Med - Norwegian Jade 12/08 Barcelona / Eastern Med - Serenade otS aka MOS II 05/09 Vancouver / Alaska -Liberty otS 08/09 Miami / Eastern Caribbean - Oasis otS 11/09 Fort Lauderdale Pre Inaugurals -Celebrity Eclipse 04/10 Hamburg Pre Inaugural - Oasis otS 05/10 Fort Lauderdale / Eastern Caribbean - Majesty otS 05/10 Miami / Bahamas - Celebrity Summit 08/10 New England/Canada - Allure otS 11/10 Fort Lauderdale Pre Inaugural - Mein Schiff 1 01/11 Canary Islands / Morocco - Vision otS 04/11 Lisbon to Southampton - Norwegian Epic 06/11 Western Med - Celebrity Silhouette 07/11 Hamburg Pre Inaugural - Voyager otS 09/11 Venice - L´Austral 01/12 Antarctica - Norwegian Jade 05/12 Venice - Columbus 2 08/12 Norway - Celebrity Reflection 10/12 Eemshaven/Amsterdam - Splendour otS 05/13 Venice / Greece, Turkey - QM2 06/13 Southampton-Hamburg - Navigator otS 10/13 Eastern Med check our website for reviews (all German)

Old January 14th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboats View Post
Yes, Deilmann had both. But they went bankrupt and had to sell all river cruise ships. In the meantime the company has been sold and noone of the Deilmann familiy is involved anymore. The new Deilmann company is now offering river cruises as group cruises on one of the former Deilmann river ships. I wouldn´t say that the DertourMozart is out of date. Yes, it´s an older ship. But cabins are 20 or 22 sqm. So by the time she was built in the mid 1980ies she was way ahead. River cruise cabins had a standard of 11 to 15 sqm for decades. Now as more and more ocean cruisers are trying out river cruises there´s a demand for larger cabins. But remember the ocean going vessels 20 plus years ago? Cabins weren´t large either. I´ve been on the Majesty of the Seas in an 11 sqm sized outside cabin (no balconies unless you´ve booked a junior suite).

But let´s say it like this: There´s a developpment going the other way round. Viking River Cruises is currently building two ocean going vessels.

steamboats
Hi
Vantage river cruise company contracts w. HAL and Hurtigruten for Vantage ocean cruises. On my Hurtigruten trip, there were 62 Vantage pax and 2 Vantage reps.
Tom

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Viking invests in two ocean going vessels afaik. Didn't bookmark the notification though.

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

A few years ago, Grand Circle and Vantage co-owned the Paul Gauguin.. They have since sold it. The 2 companies are owned by brothers, who had a falling out. Grand Circle also owns several small ships that operate in the Mediterranean and charters small ships that operate in the Panama Canal and the Galapagos. It also books passengers on ships in South America and Scandinavia.

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Oh God I hope not!!!! Don't ruin the intimate feel of a river cruise with a mega-river ship that the scale of profit would dictate in a Cruise Line mentality.

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand isle joe View Post
Oh God I hope not!!!! Don't ruin the intimate feel of a river cruise with a mega-river ship that the scale of profit would dictate in a Cruise Line mentality.
Croisieurope has one small ocean going ship operating Med, Adriatic and around the Canary Islands. Being only a 200 capacity it is run in the same way as their river cruises plus more evening entertainment.

Old January 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Rest assured, river cruise ships are limited by locks that they must go thru--max about 170 pax.

Old January 15th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Rest assured, river cruise ships are limited by locks that they must go thru--max about 170 pax.
Ships need to be max. 135m x 11.45m in order to cross the Rhine Main Danube Canal. Maximum pax ranges around 190-200 (Viking Longships or A-Rosa). Compared to a ocean cruise ship these 30 pax do not sound like a big deal, but for the ship it means an extra bus, guide etc..

Old January 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Oh, I so agree, I do hope not!

Old January 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post

Oh Thank you Tom47. I always worry when some "executive" thinks he/she can make it better thus cutting service and charging for everything they can think of.....All that comes into my mind is a long chain of ships lashed together with people yelling and drinking,dancing to YMCA.

Old January 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

If they "own" it, but don't change anything about them....fine. I think it's more the other way around as Viking announced that they are building two "ocean liner" ships, one to debut in 2014 the other in 2015. I'm anxiously awaiting info on them. Problem is......if they are going to offer pretty much the same experience on their "ocean liner" ships as they do on their river cruise vessels, the per diem is going to have to start at around $250 a day pp. Are people going to opt for that? Folks who have gone on river cruises may, but filling every sailing with 1500 people might be tough. However, I'd rather see them offer the same quality they do on their river cruises and not just be "another cruise line". We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Old January 17th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Viking deal is for 2 ships with a passenger capacity of 944 each. See http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...#axzz2IGfLGSPY.

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

If it does happen, I would hope it would be more on the lines of Azamara or Oceania and not Celebrity or Princess.