Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old January 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile sea sickness question

Are there any sea sickness tablets you can buy that don't cause you to have a dry mouth?
I went on a 2 night cruise from Sydney to Brisbane in May and the sea was quite calm but for a short time I felt a bit queasy (when I was in a bar watching an art auction. Maybe it was because the room was so stuffy and I was sitting on a high bar stool) so I went back to my cabin and took a tablet, that I bought from the chemist before my trip. It worked and I felt better within half hour but had an unbelievable dry mouth that lasted for ages! I was also wondering if it was the tablet that made me better or lying down in my cabin!
I am going on a 7 night cruise in Feb to New Caledonia and am a bit concerned that if the sea is a bit choppy I will definitely need to take something. (hope we don't hit a Cyclone!)
I have also tried the bands don't know really if they worked or not. I ended up taking them off as they were really tight on my wrist and left marks and were annoying.
Also am I better off taking something only when I feel the sickness coming on or taking something from day one?
Any tips or pointers on this will be very much appreciated
Sailed Dawn Princess 18th May 2012

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you like taking pills for sea sickness, take ginger pills. These help tremendously and dont give you dry mouth. I have also heard (from our head waiter in the MDR on last cruise) that if you are feeling sick to your stomach, eat a green apple. I dont know why this works but it truly did for my wife. She ate the apple and felt better in 30 minutes. Hope this helps... enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Carnival Freedom 2009 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Dream 2011 - Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean FOS 2013 - Eastern Caribbean

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

full strength ginger.. all natural, won't put you to sleep or cause any other side effects. I start taking mine a day or two before even getting on board then twice a day even if the seas are calm.

comes in pill form, chewable tables, even candied ginger works.

and I second the green apple thing..

Last edited by spookwife; January 17th, 2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: to agree with another poster

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am an avid offshore fisherman and sometimes get seasick if we hit 8-12 foot seas. The best thing out there requires a prescription though. But all the people where I live that fish a lot and run charters swear by it. Its the the scopolamine patch by Transderm Scop. Also dry mouth is pretty much going come with any seasickness medicine prescription or over the counter.

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Another vote for ginger! You can buy the capsules filled with powdered ginger, drink ginger ale or (my favorite) buy and snack on candied ginger. This is sometimes called crystallized ginger in the stores. As I am very prone to motion sickness I start taking meclazine 2 nights before the trip and continue taking it 2-3 nights after the trip and carry ginger as well. Have a super cruise!

HAL Westerdam, 10/21/07, Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale, Grand Turk, St. Marten, Tortola, Half Moon Cay)
Star Princess, 10/7/04, Transatlantic (Venice, Naples, Rome, Cannes, Barcelona, Cadiz, Lisbon, Azores, Ft. Lauderdale)
Grand Princess, 2/8/04, Western Caribbean
Star Princess, 8/30/03, Alaska (Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican, Victoria)

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Having been prone to travel sickness (ships / boats / ferries / cars / buses / coaches, but not, interestingly aeroplanes or trains) for all of my life (my mother reports that I was sick when they brought me home from hospital and EVERY time she took me out in my pram!) I have tried many remedies with varying success.

I don't find Seabands or other acupressure devices particularly helpful (and didn't find them good in pregnancy either) but do find ginger effective to some degree. I haven't tried ginger capsules, but will nibble a ginger biscuit or some crystallised ginger.

After much trial and error (horrible dry mouth, heavy sedation etc) I have found cinnarizine 15 mg to be the most effective with fewest side-effects. This is sold over-the-counter in the UK, often under the brand name of Stugeron. I find it prevents me feeling sick, I still feel the 'motion' but feel sort-of dissociated from it. DH finds this too. It causes me minimal, if any, sedation, and dry mouth is not a problem. I bought some in Portugal (well, Madeira to be precise) prior to a minibus trip into the mountains, and did find it sedative - when I looked it was 25 mg dosage, so check this.

Most recently we crossed the Bay of Biscay in a storm, and, with our trusty Stugeron, had no problems at all. And this is from someone who has previously made her self travel sick reading a book in a rocking chair!

2015: Oceania Marina: Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro
2015: Seabourn Quest: Route of the Conquistadors (Manaus to Caribbean to FLL and TA to Barcelona)
2014: Celebrity Eclipse: Icelands and Fjords (Round trip from Southampton)
2013: Seabourn Quest: Route of Magellan (TA Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro)
2012: Grand Princess: Canary Islands (Round trip from Southampton)
2011: Seabourn Quest: Adriatic Coast (Athens to Venice)
2009: Cunard QM2: Southampton to NYC and back
2008: Emerald Princess: Eastern Med and Greek Islands (Venice to Rome)
1964: Cunard Queen Elizabeth to NYC, back on Queen Mary - does that count?!?

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Alot of the anti Nausea drugs do dry up secretions and hence cause a dry mouth, but thats part of the way they work. They do sell dry mouth products, (Biotene having a whole range) if the dry mouth would prevent you taking the medications

RCI - Voyager of Seas - Dubai to Singapore 15-28 May 2012
Blog address: Dubai cruise
www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/bluekat/Trips/19473

Old January 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have taken Bonine the past 2 cruises I've been on and haven't noticed any dry mouth problems. My hubby took it as well and didn't experience any problems, either. It worked great for us!

Good luck!

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with the Bonine. I start taking it the night before we leave and take it each nite before bed. Works perfectly!

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy62 View Post
Are there any sea sickness tablets you can buy that don't cause you to have a dry mouth?
I went on a 2 night cruise from Sydney to Brisbane in May and the sea was quite calm but for a short time I felt a bit queasy (when I was in a bar watching an art auction. Maybe it was because the room was so stuffy and I was sitting on a high bar stool) so I went back to my cabin and took a tablet, that I bought from the chemist before my trip. It worked and I felt better within half hour but had an unbelievable dry mouth that lasted for ages! I was also wondering if it was the tablet that made me better or lying down in my cabin!
I am going on a 7 night cruise in Feb to New Caledonia and am a bit concerned that if the sea is a bit choppy I will definitely need to take something. (hope we don't hit a Cyclone!)
I have also tried the bands don't know really if they worked or not. I ended up taking them off as they were really tight on my wrist and left marks and were annoying.
Also am I better off taking something only when I feel the sickness coming on or taking something from day one?
We have been on several cruises and I do feel seasick at times when the waves get to be a bit much. I have tried ginger tablets and candy (did not work for me); the wrist bands (did not really work and left a mark for days after removing them); tried Maxolon (mainly for nausea after the fact I found and made me sleepy); looking at the horizon did nothing for me; breathing the fresh air did help but that was when I was also taking the below mentioned Avomine...fresh air by itself did not work. Then after reading lots of threads here on CC got my answer I decided to try Avomine and it worked great for me!! It is available here in Australia at Chemist Warehouse...no prescription needed. You have to ask for it at the counter. It worked best for me by starting to take it several days before the start of the cruise and then one hour before bedtime each night on the cruise (that eliminated the drowsy feeling). I had no problems with dry mouth. I also found I only needed it the first few days of a cruise or when the captain notified all passengers that rough seas were ahead...then I resumed for that day.just to be safe. On one cruise I did have to keep taking it after I got home because my "sea legs" would not revert back to "land legs" for about 2 weeks... One last thing...you are not supposed to drink alcohol while taking it.

Hope this helps because it is the worst thing to feel "seasick".

Barbara

Previous cruises:
QM2 - Mediterranean Delights May 2009
QE - Aegean Introduction Nov 2010
Volendam - Pacific Treasures Feb 2012
QM2 - WC Segment SIN to MEL Feb 2013

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy62 View Post
A lot of questions here.

One - I favor ginger. I get motion sickness easily and ginger works for me. I don't recall any dry mouth issues. However, you will feel a burning sensation if you don't drink some water with the ginger.

As a preventative I took one ginger tablet (with water) before boarding the ship. Then one tablet (with water) before breakfast and one tablet (with water) before dinner and I was fine on a ship where several others were getting seasick.

Two - seasickness / motion sickness is caused by a conflict between the eyes and ears. If you are inside then your eyes will not detect any motion, however, your ears will. This can work in reverse. I became sick while sitting on a couch on land. The couch of course was not moving. However, the video game I was playing on a large screen TV was showing motion. So in this case my eyes saw motion but my ears did not detect any motion and I got sick.

Three - thus you want to be outside where you can see the horizon. That way your eyes and ears will both sense motion.

Four - most drugs only work if you take them before you start to feel sick. Fortunately ginger will work even after you start to feel sick.

Five - eating bland foods (bread, crackers, water ...) will help.

Six - Here is some reading material for you ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Motion-...es/Causes.aspx

http://www.medicinenet.com/motion_sickness/article.htm

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/m...topic-overview

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/motio...article_em.htm

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...ess-000110.htm

Last edited by Cuizer2; January 21st, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

does anyone know if this is avail in the US? sounds like a miracle pill!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:05 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclengrace View Post
Which "this" are you referring to?

Last edited by Cuizer2; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was referring to Avomine, as mentioned above.

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
I was referring to Avomine, as mentioned above.
My post is above yours and my post is about ginger, not Avomine. If you use the quote button there would not be any confusion.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I haven't tried to get in the US but the info online says it should be available as Avomine in the US. I would ask a pharmacist.

Previous cruises:
QM2 - Mediterranean Delights May 2009
QE - Aegean Introduction Nov 2010
Volendam - Pacific Treasures Feb 2012
QM2 - WC Segment SIN to MEL Feb 2013

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
My post is above yours and my post is about ginger, not Avomine. If you use the quote button there would not be any confusion.
I apologize, please forgive me

Old January 24th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all your replies you all been a great help. I will stock up on ginger. And avominethis week. 2 weeks to go and counting Yay
Sailed Dawn Princess 18th May 2012

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Subscribing so I can refer back to this thread. I'm quite worried about feeling nausea on our first cruise.....

Old January 25th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ginger Chewing Gum

I found ginger chewing gum at a US Walgreens Pharmacy but I had to ask where it could be found. It tastes good and gives a continuous dose.

If the seas stay the same, your body should adjust by the third day.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/
Brindisi - Pireaus, Greece Jun 1983 (3 days)
Greek Islands, June 1985 (3 days)
Pireaus - Venice, Italy Dec 1985 (3 days)
Oosterdam - Alaska May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern and Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska (Inside Passage) - Sep 2011 (Back to back 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Niew Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska Inside Passage - May 2013 (Back to back 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (Back to back 14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Alaska Inside Passage - May 2015 (Back to back 14 days)