Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old January 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Primary difference between 'regular' and 'sideways' cabins are that 'sideways' are generally more square-shaped than rectangular...

On some other lines, such as HAL, certain 'sideways' cabins are considerably larger than 'regulars' in the same class....not sure about the ones on NCL.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

For what its worth, I was just in a sideways room on the Dawn last week and there was no couch. Also, as for not having much room to get out of bed because of the table/stool at the foot - just move the bed! We rearrange our room as soon as we get into them,lol.

For the sideways one to make more room with the queen set up, just turn the bed so the head of the bed is against the wall with the pull down bed on it with the bed centered.

You will have more than enough room on the mirror wall side to get out and around the foot of the bed and still have room for both night stands if turned longways.

There is even room in the standard rooms to do this to make more floor space by the desk/chair/vanity.

Sailed:
Norwegian Sun 10/2010 Transatlantic Dover to Orlando

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug & Sprouts View Post
We rearrange our room as soon as we get into them,lol.

We seem to always rearrange as well.

For the sideways one to make more room with the queen set up, just turn the bed so the head of the bed is against the wall with the pull down bed on it with the bed centered.
Holy cow...I never thought of this. We always end up pushing one side of the bed toward the wall in order to have a bigger walk way on one side and the other person that sleeps up against the wall just climbs out at the bottom (no biggie for us). But I had never thought about turning it sideways for even more room. Thanks!

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We moved EVERYTHING in my parents cabin last week,lol. the room steward (who was AWESOME by the way) looked into their cabin right after we did it and just goes, "oooh, you moved! very nice!" lol!

They had a regular setup obst ocean view and we turned the bed so the head was centered as I said before so my mom could put her fan on the ledge under the window and my dad could put his cpap machine on the vanity table.

on our first cruise(on the Sun) I had a inside with my friend and when we got there it was set up with the beds next to each other and the couch parallel to the beds under the pull down. So we moved things so the beds were each against opposite walls with the couch longways between them.

It made a TON of floor space. Literally you could have stood 10 people in the open space. We just put the nightstands together like a coffee table in front of the couch.

Sailed:

Old January 19th, 2013, 09:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
We moved EVERYTHING in my parents cabin last week,lol. the room steward (who was AWESOME by the way) looked into their cabin right after we did it and just goes, "oooh, you moved! very nice!" lol!

They had a regular setup obst ocean view and we turned the bed so the head was centered as I said before so my mom could put her fan on the ledge under the window and my dad could put his cpap machine on the vanity table.

on our first cruise(on the Sun) I had a inside with my friend and when we got there it was set up with the beds next to each other and the couch parallel to the beds under the pull down. So we moved things so the beds were each against opposite walls with the couch longways between them.

It made a TON of floor space. Literally you could have stood 10 people in the open space. We just put the nightstands together like a coffee table in front of the couch.

LOL, that is AWESOME!! You sound a lot like me.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your countdown clock says your on the jewel next year- what port/sailing date? we'll be on her jan 5th out of Nola

Sailed:

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Your countdown clock says your on the jewel next year- what port/sailing date? we'll be on her jan 5th out of Nola
I'm on the Jewel this year. Dec 15th. My countdown says 10+ months.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

yeah, I suck at math. didn't even try to add it up, just seemed like it should be next year.

We SHOULD be cruising every Jan from now on. Weve decided not to do xmas anymore and just go on a cruise.

January works well for all of our sceduals and its off peak season so its cheaper. My cabin for the Jewel will work out to be only $440 including taxes.

And its a sideways one again, of course

Sailed:

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
yeah, I suck at math. didn't even try to add it up, just seemed like it should be next year.

We SHOULD be cruising every Jan from now on. Weve decided not to do xmas anymore and just go on a cruise.

January works well for all of our sceduals and its off peak season so its cheaper. My cabin for the Jewel will work out to be only $440 including taxes.

And its a sideways one again, of course
That sounds like an awesome deal. We got ours for $1450 for 3 people, which I think it was $556 for the first 2 and then $338 for the third person. We sailed the week before Christmas this past year (2012) and it was HECTIC!!! I said I probably wouldn't do it again, but I had already booked the one on the Jewel for this year before going on that one. I have a friend from our previous Epic cruise that has booked it as well, so no turning back now. It will just be another hectic Christmas. hehe

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Noise

Can someone tell me if you notice more noise from the hallway? I'm assuming since the cabin door opens right near the feet of the beds that any noise from the hallway is pretty noticeable? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if this type of cabin is worth it to me. Thanks.

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamsterNJ View Post
Can someone tell me if you notice more noise from the hallway? I'm assuming since the cabin door opens right near the feet of the beds that any noise from the hallway is pretty noticeable? I'm a light sleeper and wonder if this type of cabin is worth it to me. Thanks.
Welcome to Cruise Critic .

I did not notice any difference in noise.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain
NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !

Old January 20th, 2013, 11:36 AM
10,000+ Club

I did not notice any noise in ours either. Actually I have never noticed any noise in any of the cabins we have ever been in other than our last cruise, which was the Star and a regular cabin and I think we must have had some very loud talking neighbors around the times that we returned from port each time. They must have had a great time in port.

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am an EXTREMLY light sleeper and I had no problem with noise waking me up. And I don't drink either so I wasn't just knocked out,lol.

Actually the reason I decided to get the sideways cabin last cruise was so that there wasn't people on both sides of me. Just crew closets on both ends. That way there wouldn't be anyone to keep me awake at night.

My cabin for our next cruise is also sideways set off all by itself. I think Im officially hooked on "lone" cabins

Sailed:

Old January 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll reiterate most of what's already been said with a few helpful notes for others.
  • Sideways cabins have a better layout. This makes them feel larger. I prefer the sideways layout.
  • They MAY be handicapped. Check this on a deck plan, they will look (and are significantly) larger and have a handicap symbol.
  • The size may be slightly larger (a few square feet) then other insides. This is dependent on the ship.

L.A.S.T.

Last edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy; January 20th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Old January 21st, 2013, 04:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default newbe with ?? for the Star

Do all the rooms have the bathrobes and a coffee maker on the Star. Which places to eat are included in your fare. TIA

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:14 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruse2loose View Post
Do all the rooms have the bathrobes and a coffee maker on the Star. Which places to eat are included in your fare. TIA
No, all of the rooms don't come with bathrobes. It depends on the room you book and your "status".

The 2 main dining rooms are Versailles and Aqua. The Blue Lagoon is open 24/7, the buffet, you can find hot dogs, nachos and popcorn at Kings Pub. Then they have cook outs on the pool deck on certain days and times along with a small buffet out there.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:29 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsugirly View Post
No, all of the rooms don't come with bathrobes. It depends on the room you book and your "status".
insides don't usually have coffee pots either but if you ask your room steward, they can usually obtain both for you.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed:PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014/NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
98 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=Bug & Sprouts;36760485]I am an EXTREMLY light sleeper and I had no problem with noise waking me up. And I don't drink either so I wasn't just knocked out,lol.

Actually the reason I decided to get the sideways cabin last cruise was so that there wasn't people on both sides of me. Just crew closets on both ends. That way there wouldn't be anyone to keep me awake at night.

My cabin for our next cruise is also sideways set off all by itself. I think Im officially hooked on "lone" cabins [/quot

We just got off the Jewel and had a sideways cabin, 9651 aft. I haven't been in an inside cabin since 2001, but this was the smallest cabin I have ever seen. I opened the door, and I could have literally fallen into the bed. The picture someone put up without the couch was exactly like ours.

Old January 21st, 2013, 12:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruse2loose View Post
NCL now only has coffee pots in balcony and higher categories.
Other cabins can request one from the steward and IF a pot is available you could get one.

Eating in the two main dining rooms, buffet, and Blue Lagoon are included in fare.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by NMLady; January 21st, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old January 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question

I love the idea of moving furniture!

If you have beds apart, is there a way to move one sideways against the wall? I'd love to see a photo of beds apart sideways inside.