Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Uniworld River Ambassador questions

I understand from the Uniworld website that the River Ambassador does not have an elevator and, except in the suites, does not have beds which can be pulled apart. Reading other posts I found one mention of the lack of elevator but nothing about the bed situation.
I can manage without the elevator although my knees will complain. For two women traveling together, one of whom is a very poor sleeper, sharing a bed is out of the question. Yet this ship seems to be the one used for the places I would like to go.
I would like to hear from anyone, particularly friends, sisters, etc traveling together as to whether this was a problem for them.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I found this on another site.

River-view Stateroom
Deck: Rhine Deck
Category: 1
Size: Approximately 128 sq ft.
Occupancy: 2 guests standard
Amenities: A queen-sized bed that can convert into two twin beds, French balcony with river view, private bathroom with shower and chair. All staterooms also include fine, European-style comforters and duvets, luxurious 100% Egyptian cotton sheets, choice of pillows including down, plush, terry-cloth robes, soft, extra thick towels from Christies of Manchester, old-fashioned umbrellas, aromatherapy bath amenities by L'Occitane, flat-screen TV, complimentary bottle of water, hairdryer, individually-controlled AC, direct-dial telephone and in-stateroom safe.

As far as I know, all the beds that are pushed together can be separated.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

BTW, Welcome to CC. There are a lot of very experienced river travelers on here and they welcome sharing their experiences with others.

Sharon

Old January 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

The River Ambassador has a stairlift between the 1st-2nd deck. I am not sure about a lift from 2nd deck to sundeck.

Old January 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've been on the Ambassador a couple of times. I "think" it has the stairlift going to the top deck but I'm not 100% sure.

I do know that you can separate the beds.

We have had great cruises on the River Ambassador. It is one of Uniworld's smaller ships but does super itineraries and has a really great crew.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

The beds on other Uniworld ships are two narrow beds next to each other and each bed has its own linens.

That's where I got the idea to get one twin-sized comforter and one twin-sized electric blanket for our king-sized bed at home. Ahhhh - peace at last.
cb

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for you help. What exactly is a "stair lift"?

It's odd about the beds, I've only been on the River Duchess and the beds there were two single with separate linens, but the Uniworld Website under River Ambassador Ship Facts states: " All Staterooms have a queen sized bed; therefore the bed cannot be separated. All Suites have two mattresses on bed frames that can be loosened and slightly separated except Suite 214 whose frame cannot be separated"

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stairlift

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Recommend you phone Uniworld. The bedding might have changed after the rebuild.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks again. I would have our TA check it out if we decide on this trip, I was just hoping for info from travelers who had actually been in the staterooms on this ship. Of course, I guess we could also go with a suite.

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Yes the beds separate

They put a board between the beds which gives you privacy to some extent. Our daughter and I cruised on the Ambassador last Fall (2012) and it was fabulous. The crew was super and we loved it. Highly recommend the Ambassador.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. I had written Uniworld directly and that is what they told me also. The picture looked like it really broke up the room though. We would be fine as long as the beds have separate bedding, which she said they do.

I understand there is no elevator, but there is a chair lift. Is this what you observed?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes there is a chair lift both down to the dining room and up to the observation deck

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks.