Salaverry, Peru and Quito, Ecuador

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:41 AM.
Staten Island, NY
1,346 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Just booked a cruise starting in Lima and looking for information on what to do and see in Salaverry, Peru and Quito, Ecuador. Thanks in advance to our CC family!
1,233 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We returned a few days ago from an Oceania Cruise that stopped in these ports, ending in Lima. I presume that for Quito you mean the port of Manta. Quito is quite far inland and you have to fly there.

In Manta we paid $10 each way for a taxi to take us to Monticristi. This is the town where the Panama Hats are made. The ships excursion which was a bus ride was $89 per person. There is not much in Monticristi except to shop at the stalls and to walk in to a few small shops where they have one person showing how the hat is made by hand. There was one old church in the town square that we also walked throught. We did not go to Manta itself, although the ship offered a free shuttle. All in all Manta is not an exciting port. A maximum of 2 hours would be needed in Montecristi (the taxi wanted $20 roundtrip and they would wait an hour but we did not know how long we were going to stay so we paid $10 each way).

In Salaverry we arranged for a private excursion that due to our roll call ended up with 12 people. $100 per person if it was only 2 of us and it went down to $65 per person for 12. This was a spectacular tour including the temple ruins of the sun and moon, the museum, the town and the beach to see the reed boats. Our friends on Oceania charged an astounding $285 per person for the same trip (same company). We were on a 29 passenger mini bus. At the ruins we purchased a small booklet with pictures and the author was our guide, it doesn't get much better.

This is the info and contact info
- We go out from the Port to Huacas del Sol and La Luna.
09:00 a.m. - We arrive to the temple of the Moon (Luna) to visit the new Museum and the archaeological site.
10:40 a.m. - We go to the historic center of Trujillo.
11:10 a.m. -Visit of the Main Square, Cathedral, Urquiaga and Emancipation houses.
12:20 p.m. - This is the time to go to Chan Chan.
12:40 p.m. - We are in the archaeological site of Chan Chan. The tour is for about one hour.
13:40 p.m. - We go out to the fishing village of Huanchaco.
14:00 p.m. - We are in Huanchaco to see the reed boats "Caballitos de Totora".
14:30 p.m. - Return to Salaverry port.
The operator:
Alfredo Rios Mercedes
Official Tour Guide
949657978 RPM: *728475
email: [email protected]
86,489 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Just in Salaverry, I would visit the Chan Chan which is the largest pre-Colombian city in South America. You can either book it through the cruise line or at the pier you could book a private tour.

In Manta, you could go to Montecristi which we did. I would go to the shopping area that is right in Manta. You can get the same items that are in Montecristi at prices that are just as good.

Keith
cary, north carolina
12 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
On your review, we are booking with him tomorrow as well. Thanks for answering my question about Mantra so easily. Hoping your cruise was as wonderful as Oceania always does it. They are remarkable, truly care and listen to our comments all these years. The Marina, in particular, has a crew that mesh perfectly with Boris as their lead! Cruised on it in fall. Appreciate your comments.
NSW
2 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Hi Loum140:

Try contacting Paul Cusinga, his website has tours which include the 4 ports in Peru (Trujillo City - Salaverry Port; Lima City - Callao Port; Ica City - San Martin Port and Arequipa - Matarani Port). I am sure he will sort something out for you for one or two days depends on your time.

We booked different tours with Paul when we were in Lima, Ica and Trujillo from the Star Princess last year, and he was wonderful. It wasn't one of his advertised tours, he's quite happy to 'tailor made' your day for you. Speaks better English than I do!! He picked us up from right beside the ship and returned us in good time for sailing and we paid in cash on the day.
His details are:

Email: [email protected]

I hope that, whatever you decide to do, you have a fabulous trip.

Norwegian Wind - Alaska - Sept. 2002
Norwegian Crown - New England & Canada - Oct. 2004
Regal Princess - Manaus to F.L. - April 2006
Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal - Feb.2007
Norwegian Jade - Egypt & Greek Islands - Sept 2009
Star Princess - Chile to Fort Lauderdale- March 2012

1 Posts
Joined May 2010
Just a warning on Alfredo Rios Mercedes
Official Tour Guide
949657978 RPM: *728475
email: [email protected]

We were in Salaverry, Peru, two weeks ago and had booked a tour with the above firm. When we arrived in port we were advised that the port authorities were going to close the port at noon due to the threat of high seas. We were not allowed to leave the ship, all tours were cancelled, and we sailed on before noon.
Of course the cruise line, Oceania, refunded all tour payments for tours organized by them. But, Mr. Mercedes refused to return the deposits of any of his guests.
We emailed him of the very short-sighted nature of this decision but he refused to refund our money. So, we're out our deposits. Really bad decision on his part.
Other threads have praised his tour, which is why we booked…just be aware of the risk.
Pacific Northwest
659 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Not sure if the tour operator up-dated his Refund info after 2014, but when I recently contacted him, his email stated there was a down-payment of $30.00pp w/ a 50% down-payment return if the ship is unable to dock (ie, a $15.00pp split for booking out the date for the cruise passengers). I found this true in a few other S American ports from the independent tour guides as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
26 Cruises, 65 Countries, 316 Nights @ Sea
Cruise lines: 17 Celebrity, 3 RCI, 2 HAL, 1 Princess, 1 NCL, 1 Carnival, 1 MSC
Denmark
1,749 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Some inspiration for Quito on my Quito Pre- and post cruise stay blog:
quito-2013.blogspot.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog mogenshallas.com - email: [email protected]
RCCL Diamond Plus and Celebrity Captain's Club Elite member

Past cruises: 24 RCCL and 4 Celebrity - 20 ships and 100 Ports - three future cruises: two Serenade of the Seas Caribbean cruises in November 2017 and February 2018 and a Uniworld French River Wine Cruise April 2018.
Sovereign of the Seas, East Caribbean Nov 1996; Enchantment of the Seas, West Caribbean Feb 1999; Splendour of the Seas, Brazil and Rio Carnival Feb 2001; Adventure of the Seas, East Caribbean Mar 2004; Rhapsody of the Seas, West Caribbean Mar 2005; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal Mar 2006; Jewel of the Seas,East Caribbean Feb 2007; Brilliance of the Seas, Hawaii Oct 2007; Voyager of the Seas, Mediterranean Nov 2008; Legend of the Seas, Asia Feb 2009; Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean Feb 2010; Briliance of the Seas, Suez Canal and Dubai Jan 2011; Vision of the Seas, 3 nights Berlin Cruise from Copenhegen June 2011; Serenade of the Seas, 7 night from San Juan, February 2012; Vision of the Seas, 4 night St Petersburg from Stockholm, June 2012; Celebrity Millennium, 14 Nt Gems of Southeast Asia from Singapore, Jan 2013. Liberty of the Seas, Western Mediterranean from Barcelona; April 2013, Vision of the Seas, Norwegian Fjords from Copenhagen, June 2013; Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos itinerary B, November 2013; Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, March 2014; Legend of the Seas, Baltic Cruise, June 2014; Quantum of the Seas, TA Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2014; Quantum of the Seas, 12 Nt. Southern Caribbean, Jan 2015; Anthem of the Seas, 3 Nt Royal Cruise from Southampton, April 2015; Splendor of the Seas, 7 Nt. Greek Isles & Turkey, Nov 2015; Celebrity Equinox, 11 Nt.Ultimate Caribbean Feb. 2016; Anthem of the Seas, 9 Nt.Canada and New England, Sept. 2016; Legend of the Seas farewell , 23 Nt. from Singapore to Barcelona, March 2017. Hurtigruten Midnight Sun June 2017.
No. Virginia
1,033 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
We stopped in Salaverry in November. The cruise line led us to believe that there would be limited taxi service available and offered a $20 pp shuttle to town. We decided to take our chances and once we got off the ship, we easily hired a van to take a group at a cost of $15 each for transportation and we paid our own admissions. The tour included Chan Chan, a brief stop in the center of Trujillo, and the Huacas including time at the museum. With transportation, entrance fees, tips, and tour guides it was around $32 per person. Since we went to Chan Chan first, it was very uncrowded.
Melbourne, Australia
10,650 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by mbaker1953
Hi Loum140:

Try contacting Paul Cusinga, his website has tours which include the 4 ports in Peru (Trujillo City - Salaverry Port; Lima City - Callao Port; Ica City - San Martin Port and Arequipa - Matarani Port). I am sure he will sort something out for you for one or two days depends on your time.

We booked different tours with Paul when we were in Lima, Ica and Trujillo from the Star Princess last year, and he was wonderful. It wasn't one of his advertised tours, he's quite happy to 'tailor made' your day for you. Speaks better English than I do!! He picked us up from right beside the ship and returned us in good time for sailing and we paid in cash on the day.
His details are:

Email: [email protected]

I hope that, whatever you decide to do, you have a fabulous trip.

Norwegian Wind - Alaska - Sept. 2002
Norwegian Crown - New England & Canada - Oct. 2004
Regal Princess - Manaus to F.L. - April 2006
Celebrity Summit - Panama Canal - Feb.2007
Norwegian Jade - Egypt & Greek Islands - Sept 2009
Star Princess - Chile to Fort Lauderdale- March 2012

Thanks for mentioning Paul. Until I read your post I was going to go with Alfredo Rios Mercedes. We used Paul in 2011 when we were in Lima for 2 days and he was an excellent guide. I didn't realize that he would travel to Salaverry. I will get in touch with him for our visit next year in April.

Jennie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Cruises:
2017 Sea Princess Sydney to Sydney via Hawaii, Tahiti & New Zealand
2017 Emerald Princess Sydney to New Caledonia & Vanuatu
2016 QM2 - New York to Southampton
2016 Marina - Papeete to New York
2016 Golden Princess Melbourne to New Zealand & Return
2015 Sun Princess - Brisbane to New Guinea
2015 Ocean Princess - Singapore to Cape Town
2015 Celebrity's Solstice - Sydney to New Caledonia & Vanuatu
2014 Diamond Princess - Kyushu & Onsens Mystery Cruise around Japan due to 2 typhoons
2014 Ocean Princess - Australia & Asia
2013 Noordam - Adriatic & Roman Explorer
2013 Ocean Princess - Land of the Midnight Sun
2013 Celebrity's Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
2012 Emerald Princess - New England Cruise Tour
2011 Royal Princess - Tahiti to Ft. Lauderdale via Sth America - Farewell Cruise
2010 Ocean Princess - Capetown to Dover - via West Africa
2009 Prinsendam - Athens to Ft. Lauderdale - Transatlantic
2009 Azamara's Quest - Hong Kong to Beijing - Far East Asia
2008 Tahitian Princess - Vancouver - Vancouver - Alaska in depth
2008 Oceania's Nautica - Hong Kong to Athens - the Pirate run!
2007 Tahitian Princess - Tahiti to Hawaii
2007 Pacific Princess - Sydney - Sydney - the Pacific Islands
2006 Veendam - Vancouver to Tampa via the Amazon
2006 Galapagos Explorer ll - Galapagos Islands
2006 Regal Princess - Rio de Janeiro to Valpariso via Antarctica
2005 Maasdam - Boston to Rotterdam via Greenland, Iceland & Norway
2004 Prinsendam - Athens to Venice via the Black Sea
2004 Tahitian Princess - Tahiti & the Cook Islands
2003 Noordam - Copenhagen to Rome
1999 Maasdam - Dover to Copenhagen via Russia (Baltic)
1995 Olympic - Greek Islands & Istanbul
1982 Oriana - Pacific Islands & New Zealand.

Future Cruises:
September, 2017 - Scenic River Cruise - France 21 days
December 2017 - Southern Cross Explorer - Oceania's Regatta - 34 days
Florida
2,370 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Even though this is an older thread....last post two years ago, I appreciate the great information being shared. I don't know if any of the posters will see this but thank you! This is the most informative thread I have seen for Salaverry/Trujillo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage