Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1 Adult, 2 Kids, 2 Cabins - Can I do this?

Hi guys- I'm looking at booking a cruise at the end of March with my 2 DDs ages 9 and 11. Right now, DH says he doesn't want to go and there are no more cabins left that sleep 3. Can I book 2 connecting cabins for me and the 2 kids? We regularly book 2 connecting cabins, but on the reservation, I always put one adult and one kid in each cabin. I'm wondering with just one adult, if I can do the same thing.

I know I'd have to pay the single supplement, but I'd be paying that much if I could talk DH into going anyway, so no harm.

Thanks!

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

My understanding is that it is fine as long as you are adjoining or opposite. If you plan on being adjoining, then you are essentially one big cabin anyway once the door is open!

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Connecting

If they are connecting you should be able too but do you have a friend or relative that might wanna go instead of dh
NCL Dawn 2006 Blizzard Cruise

05-02-2010 Carnival Conquest Our Honeymoon
02-2012 b2b Carnival Triumph
052012 Carnival Magic
02-03-2013 Mariner of the Seas
02-10-2013 Mariner of the Seas 2nd leg of our b2b
08-24-2014 Carnival Dream
08-31-2014 Carnival Dream 2nd leg of our B2B

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

My three were ages, 22, 17 & 14. We were not allowed to have them in a room by themselves, they told us an adult over the age of 25 is required in all rooms. I always thought this was odd... how would a young couple under the age of 25 be able to cruise with this rule?

Carnival Ecstacy - January 2012
Carnival Imagination - December 2011
Carnival Freedom - December 2010

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi3284 View Post
My three were ages, 22, 17 & 14. We were not allowed to have them in a room by themselves, they told us an adult over the age of 25 is required in all rooms. I always thought this was odd... how would a young couple under the age of 25 be able to cruise with this rule?
That must be for your Carnival cruise, not your Royal Caribbean cruise. You can book a cabin on your own at 21 for a RCL cruise.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins View Post
Hi guys- I'm looking at booking a cruise at the end of March with my 2 DDs ages 9 and 11. Right now, DH says he doesn't want to go and there are no more cabins left that sleep 3. Can I book 2 connecting cabins for me and the 2 kids? We regularly book 2 connecting cabins, but on the reservation, I always put one adult and one kid in each cabin. I'm wondering with just one adult, if I can do the same thing.

I know I'd have to pay the single supplement, but I'd be paying that much if I could talk DH into going anyway, so no harm.

Thanks!
Here is a link to the age policy, looks like you can put them in a connecting cabin with no problem.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/before...ame=Top+10+FAQ&

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks!

We traveled on RC and got two connecting cabins. We registered on adult and one child in each, but the kids were in the connecting cabins. No discount, we paid for two adults in each cabin. I would "assume" they would charge you for two adults even if only one occupy's the cabin. As one poster suggested, if you bring a friend and they reimburse you a discounted rate- better then nothing!
Carnival Liberty,Carnival Victory 6/02,Carnival Legend 8/04, Carnival Glory 06/09
Crown Princess 8/07, Caribbean Princess 8/09, 08/11, Celebrity Eclipse 12/12, Celebrity Equinox 1/11, CelebrityReflection 3/13, Celebrity Solstice 1/09, Celebrity Infinity 8/03,
Celebrity Silouhette 1/14, 3/14, FUTURE CRUISES: Quantum of the Seas 3/13/15 , Celebrity Eclipse 1/15, 3/19/16 Anthem of the Seas, 8/9/15 NCL Breakaway, Celebrity Silhouette, 1/16 Back to Back

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

The website won't allow a booking with no adult in a cabin, so you have to call. They will certainly allow it if there is a connecting cabin.

I booked 1 adult and 1 child in 2 connecting cabins and called and they switched it around for us. It just has to have a human to authorize.

Would it be the same price to book it this way? That way if DH decides to go, his "soul" will be counted. If he doesn't you can deal with that later. I would hate for my DH to decide later that he wanted to go, but the maximum soul count had been reached.

Last edited by sunnysavannah; January 24th, 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the quick replies!

You've actually made me think of a follow up question ... DH has been pretty clear he's not going. We just sailed in December and he says he'd rather stay home (I know - he's got issues!). But there is the possibility that he could have a last minute change of heart when we are all packing our sunscreen. If I book two cabins - DH and I in one, and 2 DDs in the connecting room - and he decideds he's not going, will we have issues at the port or can he just be a no-show? The cost difference is pretty insignificant and it would give me time to see if I could change his mind.

Old January 24th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
That must be for your Carnival cruise, not your Royal Caribbean cruise. You can book a cabin on your own at 21 for a RCL cruise.
You are correct, I didnt think of that difference... It was our Carnival in 2010. Sorry

Carnival Ecstacy - January 2012
Carnival Imagination - December 2011
Carnival Freedom - December 2010

Old January 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi3284 View Post
Perhaps you already noticed in the policy, but if the couple are married (proof of marriage req'd), then they can sail in a cabin by themselves if they are under 21.

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com

Last edited by Toddcan; January 24th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Old January 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think I would book my Dh anyways on the chance that he would have a change of heart. Going by what I have read here at the boards, I dont think him being a no-show would affect the rest of the family.

FWIW, with carnival you can book your children of any age either next door or across the hall and they do not need to be in a connecting cabin.
Thats the rule for under 13's. 13-17's can be booked with up to 3 staterooms between parent/child. Recently booked a family cruise this way.
Tracy in Missouri
☻ ♥ ☻
/♥\./█\
.||. .||

Old January 24th, 2013, 11:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise a holic View Post
We traveled on RC and got two connecting cabins. We registered on adult and one child in each, but the kids were in the connecting cabins. No discount, we paid for two adults in each cabin. I would "assume" they would charge you for two adults even if only one occupy's the cabin. As one poster suggested, if you bring a friend and they reimburse you a discounted rate- better then nothing!
Why would there have been a discount? Prices are per person whether the person is six months or sixty years of age.

To the OP - by all means book your DH. If he decides to stay home, you can probably get the port fees refunded.

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think Cruise a holic meant that if the OP books her husband but he doesnt come, she can invite a friend/family member along at a discounted rate, thereby cutting her losses significantly. That was my interpretation anyway.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athankfulheart View Post
FWIW, with carnival you can book your children of any age either next door or across the hall and they do not need to be in a connecting cabin.
Same with Royal Caribbean and Princess. We have ALWAYS booked our kids into an inside cabin directly across the hall from our balcony cabin. No age requirement, and no need to book an adult in each cabin.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
I cruised with three kids once on Carnival and we had NEXT DOOR, but not ADJOINING rooms. We had no issues at all.
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peardrop View Post
I think Cruise a holic meant that if the OP books her husband but he doesnt come, she can invite a friend/family member along at a discounted rate, thereby cutting her losses significantly. That was my interpretation anyway.

Unless she got a special deal, typically a single pays 200% of the cost of the cabin less port fees for one. Sometimes a single passenger can nab a deal for 150% or 175% but not all the time. So it's pretty much the same cost for one or two.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

But if DH is serious and he really isn't going, make sure you try to cancel him before sail so you can at least get your port fees and taxes back. If he's just a no show, you don't get them back.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise a holic View Post
We traveled on RC and got two connecting cabins. We registered on adult and one child in each, but the kids were in the connecting cabins. No discount, we paid for two adults in each cabin.
This is because Royal charges the same no matter the age of the passenger. There is no "children's rate." Usually in cabins that accommodate 3-4 pax, the price of the 3rd/4th pax is less than the price of the 1st two, but it still doesn't matter the age of the pax. If there's a discount for 3rd/4th passenger, the discount will apply whether the 3rd/4th pax are 1 or 100

Quote:
If I book two cabins - DH and I in one, and 2 DDs in the connecting room - and he decideds he's not going, will we have issues at the port or can he just be a no-show?
No shows are not a problem. Last spring my BF's nephew was booked with his GF. At the last minute, she couldn't go. He showed up without her, told them she wasn't coming and that was that. As someone mentioned though, to ensure that his port taxes/fees are properly refunded, it might be best to cancel ahead of time, but it won't be a problem for you to check in and board without him if you don't.

Remembering 28 past cruises:
20 Royal Caribbean, 4 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Oceania

Anticipating 3 future cruises:
Quantum of the Seas--3 night Sampler, 11/2014
Brilliance of the Seas--4 night Western, 3/2015
Celebrity Equinox--7 night Greece & Italy, 7/2015

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Since no one else has offered to take one for the CC Team i'll be the first

If you would absolutely hate to pay for a person without a physical body showing up for the ship - I hereby offer my services of being the 4th

Already Sailed:

April 27, 2014 NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean Repo
May 11, 2013 Rhapsody of the Seas Hawaii to Vancouver Repo
Apr 14, 2012 Oasis of the Seas
Jan 30, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part II)
Jan 26, 2012 Liberty of the Seas (B2B part I)
Dec 5, 2010 Allure of the Seas Inaugural
Apr 19, 2010 Grandeur of the Seas
Dec 5, 2009 Oasis of the Seas Inaugural