Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!
Taking E. Med cruise on Magica from Rome in End of March.
1) My cruise starts at 7PM. What is the safe time to depart from Rome. I will be taking a train which will take 1:30 hours to get there. My hotel is 8 minute walking distance from the Terminal.
2) Is water drinkable on this ship?
3) Do they allow alcohol? Carnival officially allowed a bottle of wine per person.
4) Do people buy alcohol on the excursion ports?
5) Are there self serve washing machines on the ship?
5) Are there any shuttle service from Train station to Civitvecchia port itself?
First of all remember your cruise leaves from Civitavecchia, not Rome. The distance between the two cities is considerable and takes about an hour or more either by car or train.
1) Your ship SAILS at 7 pm. Boarding will begin probably around 2 or 3 so I'd plan on leaving Rome around 12 or 1 pm.
2) The tap water on the ship is drinkable.
3) Officially you can't bring on board alcohol or any drinks including water. One bottle well packed in your checked luggage will probably go through okay.
4) Certainly people buy it and drink it ashore. But everything you bring back on board will go through the xray machine and they can confiscate prohibited items.
5) No self service laundries on Costa ships. The laundry service is however quite good and in line with hotel laundry prices.
6) Best to take a taxi from the Civitavecchia train station directly to the ship. Should cost around €15. If you're really travelling light you can walk it to the port entrance where there are free shuttle buses going to the ship. Hauling heavy luggage down and up through the underpass at the train station is a real pain though.
11/2014 Costa neoRomantica - Ancient Mediterranean (11) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Malta)
3/2015 MSC Fantasia - West Med/Atlantic Islands (11) (Italy/Spain/Morocco/Canary Is/Madeira)
6/2014 MSC Magnifica - Norwegian Fiords/North Cape (11) Germany/Norway/Holland)
3/2014 MSC Sinfonia - Capetown-Civitavecchia (19) (S. Africa/Namibia/Senegal/Canary Is./Morocco/Corsica/Italy)
9/2013 Costa Pacifica - Aegean Costa Club Cruise (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey)
2/2013 Costa Magica - East Med (12) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Turkey)
9/2012 Costa Luminosa - Magic Europa (10) (Denmark/Germany/UK/France/Spain/Portugal/Italy) B2B:
9/2012 Costa Luminosa - Verde Lime (5) (Italy/Spain/France)
6/2012 MSC Magnifica - North Cape-Svalbard (15) (Germany/Denmark/Norway)
1/2012 MSC Fantasia - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Madeira/Canary Is./Morocco)
10/2011 Costa Atlantica - East Med (10) (Italy/Egypt/Cyprus/Turkey/Greece)
9/2011 Costa Atlantica - Central Med & Black Sea (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Ukraine/Romania)
5/2011 MSC Melody - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Portugal/Morocco/France)
4/2011 MSC Melody - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Cyprus/Lebanon)
2/2011 Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean (14) (Mauritius/Seychelles/Madagascar/Reunion)
10/2010 Costa Mediterranea - East-Central Med (11) (Greece/Cyprus/Egypt/Malta/Libya)
6/2010 MSC Poesia - North Europe (14) (Germany/Norway/Iceland/Faroe & Shetland Is.)
3/2010 Costa Marina - Atlantic Islands (14) (Spain/Morocco/Canary Is./Madeira/France)
1/2010 MSC Splendida - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Egypt/Tunisia)
8/2009 Costa Serena - East Med (7) (Greece/Turkey/Croatia/Italy)
4/2009 Costa Concordia - East Med (11) (Greece/Turkey/Cyprus/Egypt/Italy)
1/2009 Oberoi Philae - Nile River Cruise Luxor-Aswan (7)
12/2007 Costa Europa - Savona-Dubai Repositioning (18) (Egypt/Suez/Jordan/Yemen/Oman)
5/2007 MSC Opera - Norwegian Fiords (7) (Germany/Norway/Denmark)
6/1994 MSC Monterey - East Med (12) (Egypt/Israel/Turkey/Greece/Italy)
We had a nice relaxing cruise. Food was adequate. Buffet lines were not to bad.
We were living close to Termini station. We rolled our luggage to the station and bought first class ticket for Civitvachia. About an hour ride from Rome. From the station it was about 10 minute walk to the port and than their shuttle picked us up. Cost of the taxi was about 140 Euro. Ours was 15 euro. With all the food we were about to consume, needed to walk a bit. The train at Termini Station departs from platform 24,25, or 26.
Thanks for your help. Things looked kind of confusing but it all worked out.