The Family Circus at Sea - a BREEZE BC6 pictorial review - 1/19/13

jimbug

The Family Circus at Sea – a BREEZE photo review!

January 19-27, 2013

819332_10101215941380617_729052366_o.jpg

Welcome to my Carnival Breeze review! Be prepared—this might take awhile! Here are a few things before we get started…

1. We booked this cruise way back in January 2012, before it ever became the John Heald’s Bloggers Cruise (BC6). Had I known in advance it would be BC6, we probably would have chosen a different sailing. I don’t want to spoil anything in the review, so I promise to cover how I felt about it after the cruise, but I was not looking forward to having a huge group onboard during “our” sailing.

2. We were traveling in a group of 14 (four families). We are in our late 20s/early 30s, and most of us attended college together at the University of Oklahoma just about a decade ago. We decided a cruise would be a fun little reunion and allow us to meet each other’s spouses and let our kids run wild play together.

3. We were in Cloud 9 Spa Oceanview Cabin #11203, and some of our friends were next door in #11201. I know these cabins are highly-requested for photos and reviews, so stay tuned—there will be plenty to read and see about them. (Quick preview: They are HUGE!)

4. We had four toddlers age 2 and under in our little group. Only one of the kids had actually hit her second birthday by sailing, so she was the only one able to participate in Camp Carnival. Unfortunately, this was not my kid, so I don’t have much to say about the actual kids’ programs. What I will cover, however, is how to survive a cruise with the under-2 set. :)

Pre-Cruise/Planning

I sort of took the lead on organizing all of our shenanigans, and last January, we all decided we wanted to go on a cruise together. We narrowed down our choices to a handful of cruises, then narrowed down once more to this Carnival Breeze sailing, and a Disney sailing out of Galveston. Ultimately, we went with Carnival, mostly because of price and itinerary. One of the port stops on the Disney cruise was only 3 hours long – barely enough time to get off the ship! All that said, I was kind of kicking myself for not choosing Disney or one of Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class ships, simply because of all the “stuff” to do onboard with the kiddos. By the time I had those thoughts, however, it was too late to cancel (and it would have been dumb/impossible to change things up with such a large group of friends sailing), so I stuck it out and hoped for the best. I knew that no matter what ship/line we were on, we would have a good time simply seeing our friends and spending time together.

Each family booked individually—some with travel agents; some direct with Carnival—and then one of the ladies in our group (thank you, Jessie!) was kind enough to call Carnival and link all of our reservations together for dining purposes. It was a pretty seamless process—we had booked early enough that we were all able to request (and receive) the 6:00 pm assigned dining time.

Otherwise, we basically just planned our own things in the ports. I’m a travel research junkie, so as I found a fun-sounding excursion or information, I shared with the group. I think it worked out well, because we were able to share our port adventures with various members of our motley crew. :)

Okay, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride, because here we go!

Thursday, January 17 – Getting to Florida

Our little group was scattered all across the country. Before I go too much further and confuse everyone with names and who’s who, here is a breakdown of our motley crew:

- Myself and DH (Jimmie and Aaron), plus our 22-month-old daughter, Zoey. We live in North Dakota.

- Minnesota Friends: Kristen, Michael, and their 2-year-old daughter, Sarah.

- Oklahoma Friends: Liz and Jeff.

- Texas Friends: Jessie, Chad, and their 23-month-old twins, Brady and Chloe. Also traveling with the Texas crew were Kathy and Phyllis from Virginia, who are the grandmother and great-aunt of the twins.

Fortunately, we were blessed with clear weather that day, as we made the 5-hour trek down to the twin cities to meet our Minnesota friends there. We were flying together on Spirit Airlines, with a direct flight to Fort Lauderdale, but the only catch was that the flight left at 1:15 a.m. on Friday morning. Yes, you read that correctly—we flew with two squirrely toddlers at one o’clock in the morning.

We got to Minneapolis just about 5:00 p.m., and headed straight to the Mall of America to introduce the kiddo to Rainforest Café and browse the shops. After making the rounds at the mall and killing more time than we thought humanly possible playing at the Lego Store, we then made our way over to the Marriott TownePlace Suites in Eagan, where we had booked a reverse park-n-fly package through ParkSleepFly. We would be able to park our car there while we were gone, and then have a hotel stay on the back end of our trip since we had a late flight in after the cruise. It was a quite a bit cheaper than airport parking.

We arrived at the airport, checked in, and were through security before 10:00 p.m. Early, yes, but we had nothing else to do so we figured we might as well wait it out at the airport. Thank goodness for the indoor playground across from our gate! We met our Minnesota friends there, and the two girls kept each other entertained until we boarded. The flight itself was fine, but it was surprisingly not the quiet, peaceful, overnight flight we were expecting. Zoey slept the whole time, but the passengers in our area of the plane broke out the booze and got a little wild! It was like riding the party bus to Florida. Before we knew it, we landed in Ft. Lauderdale, 55 minutes early thanks to an early departure and a kick-a$$ tailwind. Nice!

Friday, January 18 – Miami

After claiming our bags, we shuttled over to the Rental Car Center at the airport, where we had a minivan reserved with Alamo. After some frustration with getting the van to start and then getting two car seats installed while the two toddlers screamed, we were finally on the road. We piled into the Chrysler Town & Country, and were on our way at about 6:00 a.m. First stop: breakfast. We intended to eat at the Moonlite Diner in Hollywood, as this was my third cruise out of south Florida and I had hoped for it to be my third time eating there, all for tradition’s sake. Well, they were not open (what?!?), so we just went to the McDonald’s down the road. What should have been a quick, uneventful meal turned into disaster when Zoey banged her face on the table while getting into her high chair and ended up with a bloody nose. Cue freaking out, by both kiddo and mom. Fortunately, she was no worse for wear—not sure we can say the same about me, though!

We finally got put back together and headed south on I-95, towards our hotels. I was initially worried about hitting Miami rush-hour traffic on Friday morning, but the Sun Pass express lane to the MIA airport was fabulous! It took no time at all. We were staying at the Courtyard Miami Airport, and our Minnesota friends were staying at the Element by Westin Miami Airport. Although it was a bummer that we were not staying at the same place, they had Starwood points, we had Marriott points, and who can turn down a free hotel stay? Not I!

Our first stop was to drop our friends at the Element. Perhaps they can give you a better review since they actually stayed there, but our initial impressions were that it was soooo not the nice, eco-trendy hotel pictured on their website. We’re not sure if this was the case, but it seemed like they came in and renovated a much older hotel and tried to make it nice and new. Some of the changes turned out really well, and others looked like they ran out of money and/or time during completion. It was just…weird. We spent about an hour and a half there before trekking over to the Courtyard to see if our room was ready.

Our hotels were only a couple of miles apart, but due to a road closure on 25th Street where the Element is, we had to take a roundabout back way and tack on a few extra miles to get between the two properties. No big deal, though. We arrived at the Courtyard, and I pled my case with the lovely front desk employee and she hooked us up with a handicap-accessible room since it was all they had available that early in the day. Whew! We wanted to sleep. Of course…the almost-2-year-old traveling with us did not want to sleep. Dang. So, after a couple of hours of futile resistance, I threw in the towel and decided it was time to do some shopping to stock up on our necessary cruise supplies for the week.

I got in contact with Liz, our Oklahoma friend who was staying in the Marriott next door to us. We met up and went back to the Element to pick up Kristen, and off we went to the Target in mid-town Miami. Diapers and other sundries procured, we headed back towards the airport and to the Publix in the Airport Plaza shopping center, just a few miles away from the Marriott hotels. Traffic was gnarly in that area, and I wouldn’t recommend heading down that way unless absolutely necessary. The good thing to come of our little excursion to Publix was that we all got to enjoy those famous Publix sub sandwiches for lunch. Highly recommend the Cuban, and it made for a nice little lunch for hubby, kiddo, and I back in the hotel room when I returned.

397618_10101197808224607_1493607742_n.jpg

Picture of the Marriott Residence Inn and the Miami skyline. Photo stolen from my friend Liz. She took this from the Marriott. The Courtyard (where we stayed) was just to the left of this picture, and there was a Fairfield Inn just to the right of the Residence Inn. Highly recommend this complex of hotels for a pre-cruise stay in Miami!

We spent the rest of the afternoon trying to rest at our hotel, and greeting our Texas friends when they arrived. They stayed at the Residence Inn next door. It was nice having most of our group within walking distance, as these hotels are literally right next to each other, inside the same gated complex. They also offer free 24-hour airport shuttles to MIA, and a Port of Miami cruise shuttle for $11/person (register upon hotel check-in).

792211_10101215894739087_875109615_o.jpg

Zoey watching planes land at MIA from our hotel window at the Courtyard.

We ended the night by ordering California Pizza Kitchen for everyone. We ordered from the location in Coral Gables, which was SUPER easy to get to from the Marriott complex. The only problem was that there was no parking, so I had to circle the block nearly a dozen times while my friends ran in and picked up our order.

After eating, Chad and I made one last run to Publix (we found a better one in Coral Gables) to pick up diapers and such for the twins, returned the van at the Miami airport, then grabbed a cab back to the hotel. We all called it a night and looked forward to getting on the ship the next day!!

Saturday, January 19 – Embarkation Day!

Finally, after over a year of planning, the day was here – we were getting on the ship!!! We had a light breakfast at Starbucks in the Marriott lobby, then gathered all of our things to wait for the 11:15 a.m. shuttle to the Port of Miami. The hotels in the Marriott complex all contract with Prestige Transportation to provide port shuttle service. It is $11/person (lap children free), or included if you book their pre-cruise package.

The day was overcast and cool, but to us North Dakotans, it was heavenly! In fact, it was so pleasant out that we spent most of our time waiting outdoors on the Courtyard’s patio area, watching planes and hanging out with the Texas crew.

550086_10101215894873817_2043703002_n.jpg

Waiting on our hotel's patio for the cruise shuttle. Love what the humidity does to her hair!

At 11:00, we herded our luggage to the front of the hotel and looked for the white Prestige van, as instructed. It was rather chaotic out front, and I was starting to wonder how this was all going to go down. Fortunately, it was not bad at all. The crowd of people turned out to be one big family going to the airport, so once they left, it was not so bad. Right on schedule, a white Prestige van pulled around the circle drive…and then promptly drove off. Uhhh, what? We were kind of left standing there scratching our heads, and after a few minutes, Aaron and I were debating about whether we should go in and ask the hotel front desk if another shuttle was coming, or what…but, just as we were thinking about going inside, a Prestige mini-bus pulled in, and we were all set. It turned out to be just the three of us, plus two other ladies going to a Celebrity ship. Once we were all loaded up, we made a stop at the Residence Inn to pick up our Texas/Virginia friends, and then we were on our way! There was a separate Prestige shuttle that stopped at the Marriott for Liz and Jeff, and they had left just a few minutes before us.

250774_10101215894798967_1829494309_n.jpg

Is it time to go yet??

Originally, I had hoped to be on an earlier (10:00-ish) port shuttle, but 11:15 was the earliest available. I had visions of a crowded cruise terminal and lines galore, but I knew we would end up onboard the ship eventually—it just wasn’t ideal. We were even (somewhat jokingly) scheming on the bus ride to the port how we could hop into the VIP check-in line with our Texas friends, since they had a suite. Just about 20-25 minutes later, we pulled into the port facility. Seven ships were in port today, and traffic was cra-zy. We dropped off the Celebrity passengers, and then our driver pulled around in front of the Breeze. This was where I was so pleasantly surprised—not a crowd or a line in sight!!! We handed our luggage off to a helpful porter, and then went to the front of the building where we showed our boarding pass to enter. Once inside, we were directed to another agent for passport verification, and then we were sent through the metal detectors. Just like the airport, but they’re pretty much only looking for contraband booze or weapons. At this point, we entered the waiting area of the terminal, and I was shocked to find it completely empty. This meant they had already started boarding the ship, and we would be able to walk right onboard! Sweet!! We just had one more stop to pick up our Sail and Sign cards (room keys/onboard credit cards), and we were all set! We took the elevators up to the gangway since we had a stroller, avoiding the embarkation photo line, and just a few steps and a “ding” of our S&S cards later, we found ourselves in the Breeze atrium. Wahoo!

Just wanted to add a note here that I am also writing this for some friends who are not very familiar with cruising, so please forgive me for some of the explanations I go into. I know most of you here on CruiseCritic don't need the extra info, but maybe it will help a newbie or two!

408386_10101215895497567_477767733_n.jpg

First glimpse of the ship!!

598884_10101215895692177_371802785_n.jpg

Heading into the terminal, Jersey shore-style? haha

71831_10101215897488577_1410007177_n.jpg

Breeze atrium.

The embarkation staff told us that our cabins wouldn’t be ready until 1:30 p.m., so we hopped on an elevator up to Deck 11 with intentions of finding some lunch. Well, it just so happened that our cabin was also on Deck 11, so we decided to take a quick peek down our hallway in case it was ready a little early. (I think it was about 12:15-12:30 by this point?) Sure enough, it was, so we stopped to unpack our carry-ons and check out our new digs for the week.

64266_10101215895886787_384444065_n.jpg

486083_10101215895881797_1129887366_n.jpg

485997_10101215895871817_1624804642_n.jpg

23340_10101215896051457_2001468336_n.jpg

Okay, I have plenty more written and organized, but I will be away from the computer for a few hours, so look for more tonight! Thanks for reading, and I will be back to answer questions, as well!

I am a teacher in Minnesota and school was closed today due to extreme wind chills (-30 degrees!) :eek: A perfect day to read cruise reviews! Just wanted to tell you I am enjoying your review...but wanted to ask if you could make the font larger...pretty please? I read my reviews on my iPad and the small type is hard on my old eyes. :rolleyes:

We did a cruise this same week last year and I remember what a shock it was to come back to the cold. I'll bet you are really suffering with the frigid temps in North Dakota!

Looking forward to more of your review...

We loved this room. It was a Cloud 9 Spa oceanview stateroom (#11203), which meant several things. One, the entire section of our floor (including those with balconies) was non-smoking, which was nice. Two, we got “priority” access to the spa and fitness center with a private elevator located just down the hall from our room. This allowed us to use the thalassotherapy pool and the thermal suites, and we also received free yoga/pilates classes, fancy robes for in-cabin use, and two free pairs of Cloud 9 slippers. The pool/thermal suite pass is sold to other guests at $149/week.

I think that was it…as cool as all of those benefits were, however, they were not the primary reason we booked the cabin. The main reason we chose it was because of its size. It was technically a handicapped-accessible cabin, and whether you agree with it or not, we all know Carnival's policy is that anyone can book the room. If they needed to move us to accommodate a handicapped guest, they would have to move us to an equal or better cabin. I was willing to take that risk – the only way to go was up, to a spa balcony or suite, so it would not have been a bad move if we were asked to do so. Fortunately, we got to keep the room, and with a toddler—the extra space came in really handy throughout the week. We did not have a balcony, and we did not really miss it this time. There was a “secret deck” just outside our cabin door, where we could look out over the front of the ship. It was very under-utilized by other passengers, so it was kind of like having a semi-private balcony.

398100_10101215897832887_2105373918_n.jpg

I wanted to add, about our room...it is well worth searching out the oddly-shaped, oddly-placed, and/or handicapped rooms if you are thinking about booking a cruise. If you check out deck plans, nearly every ship has some of these "weird" cabins...you just have to know where to look and how to book them! Because this room was oceanview (no balcony), it was quite inexpensive. Aaron and I have decided we'd rather have a cabin that is this size than have a balcony any day.

Our Minnesota friends were right next door in spa oceanview stateroom #11201. The Texas/Virginia crew were down on Deck 7 in a suite and an inside across the hall, and our Oklahoma friends were on Deck 2 in a cove balcony. I think everyone was pretty happy with their cabin selection, but boy, was I glad we had the extra space with Zoey in the room. We stopped by Liz’s cove balcony (standard-size cabin) one morning, and we were quickly reminded how TIGHT normal cruise ship cabins are. Holy moly, that would have been one loooong week with a toddler!

Anyway, after we unpacked our carry-ons, we went back in search of lunch. On our way, we ran into Liz and Jeff, so we decided to all dine together. Our first meal onboard was at Cucina del Capitano, the ship’s Italian restaurant. It is a free pasta bar at lunchtime, or a nicer order-from-the-menu restaurant at night with a small cover charge (reservations required). The pasta was GREAT! When you get seated, they hand you a little notepad to mark off the items you want for your order, and then a waiter brings everything to you a few minutes later. I had bowties with alfredo sauce, chicken, and spinach. Zoey had bowties with sausage, mushrooms, and eggplant (my kid is weird), and I have no clue what anyone else got, but I was really impressed. The food was very flavorful (I find most cruise ship food to be bland), and the service was great. I was hoping this would set the tone for a great week of dining onboard!

64956_10101215896081397_172043970_n.jpg

First meal onboard.

69674_10101213752791567_1676144016_n.jpg

Another one from Liz. I loved the light fixtures in the Cucina.

We then decided it was time to get the party started, so our next destination was the Red Frog Pub (not to be confused with the Red Frog Rum Bar) for Caribbean Coladas. Yum! One thing I have to say about Carnival—they do not skimp on the booze, no sir-ree!

46818_10101215896290977_657373102_n.jpg

We enjoyed our drinks outside on deck, then went back to the cabin and see if our checked luggage had arrived yet (it had not). Zoey went down for a nap, and we relaxed for a bit. Kristen and I went to the spa tour in order to enter the raffle (more on that later). We had about an hour and a half until the required safety drill, and I was dreading waking Zoey up from her nap. I even got a text from Chad asking if we had to go to the drill, since the twins were also sleeping. Sadly, the answer was yes, there was no skipping muster drill.

In the meantime, we called housekeeping to request a crib…which they promptly brought…and promptly made as much noise as possible setting it up while my child was sleeping. I felt so bad for the poor steward—he was trying his best NOT to make noise, and it was only hilarious because Zoey did not wake up. ;)

A little later, our stateroom steward, Constantin, came by to introduce himself. He was SO nice, and so great with Zoey throughout the week. Best steward I have ever had, hands-down. He advised us to ahead and make our way to the theater, our assigned muster station, so that we could get a seat before it got too crowded. We followed his advice and easily found a seat in the Ovation Theater. This was the one space on the Breeze that really felt like old-school Carnival. For those that don’t know, the Breeze is Carnival’s newest ship, and the first one in…well, ever…that wasn’t designed by Joe Farcus. Farcus ships typically have lots of gaudy brass, neon, and wild colors, and interesting “themed” spaces. The Breeze had a really subdued/neutral palette, and was toned-down most everywhere…except the theater. It was royal blue and gold, and totally screamed Carnival of the 1990s. I kind of liked it.

Ovation_Theatre.JPG

Stolen from the internets, but I just wanted to show the theater for those who haven't seen it.

The muster drill started late, and once it got going, it was over fairly quickly, but Zoey was a squirmy little beast, and was quickly losing patience with having to sit still and be quiet! Apologies to any fellow passengers who happened to be sitting near us and might have been the recipient of a rogue flying sandal, toddler size 5. :D

It was then getting close to sailaway time! We went up on deck to watch the parade of ships leaving Miami. Zoey got pretty excited at the “Mickey Mouse boat” sailing by, and the adults in our group had a few crass jokes as we passed the Costa Mediterranea. Too soon? ;) Anyway, we soon learned that our luggage had been delivered, so we headed back inside to start unpacking and to get ready for our 6:00 dinner seating.

424854_10101215897508537_776143250_n.jpg

321332_10101215897673207_1577966232_n.jpg

164427_10101215897458637_1748637209_n.jpg

Bye bye, Miami!

408496_10101215898366817_1036252421_n.jpg

Hope you had a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to the rest of your review. We are booked in Room 11201 in July and am quite interested in what you have to say about this room. Also, did you feel more motion in these rooms as compared to rooms on lower floors? Thanks.

We were assigned to Table 566 in the Blush (aft) dining room. This was, apparently, the place to be since Ken, the maitre’d, serenaded the entire restaurant each evening in song. He was pretty good…but it was cheesy. I think most of our group, myself included, was really looking forward to our dining time together. All 14 of us were assigned to the same table, and our past experiences in cruising usually had us getting to know our waiters, and having them dote on the kids, and just providing all-around great service. Unfortunately, this was not to be the case on this cruise. Our waiters were just not very personable, and they were very slow. In their defense, they were clearly short-staffed/over-worked, but it was just wasn’t a very enjoyable dining experience, and I was sure to express this to Carnival in the post-cruise survey they sent me.

We were the only table in our section with any children, and for a table with four toddlers, we were consistently the last ones to be served or attended to. Not cool! The first night, they had one high chair waiting for us…so they had obviously checked their passenger list…but where were the other three high chairs? It took at least 30 minutes to round up chairs for everyone. Kid’s menus were only distributed on the first night, and I guess we were just expected to remember what was on it the rest of the week. I didn’t dare ask for a new one, as I didn’t want to delay the ordering process even longer.

It was during dinner on this first night that we hit the open ocean, and the ship really started rocking. Shortly after the first course was delivered, I started feeling really sick, so I had to excuse myself thinking I would just go to an open deck and get some fresh air. Nope, it’s a good thing I left when I did, because I barely (and I mean just barely!) made it to the restrooms right outside the doors to the restaurant. Pretty sure I shoved some poor woman aside to get into the stall, but I hope she appreciated that I did not barf all over her dress, haha. I went back to our cabin to lay down and take some more medication, and I ended up just staying in bed the rest of the night. Aaron and Zoey came back a little while later, and he informed me that others were not feeling well, and that no one made it all the way through dinner that night. Fun times! I hoped the next day would be much better for everyone…

Before I close out our first night onboard, I wanted to talk about the “Bloggers” thing. Prior to sailing, I joined the CruiseCritic and Facebook roll-call groups for this cruise. I wasn’t super-active, as it was seemed to be a bunch of people who knew each other prior, and there were lots of different "cliques" with the Crazies, the Evil Crew, and whatever else. That said, there were some REALLY nice folks in the group, and I looked forward to meeting them at least once. They were all really welcoming, even to us BC newbies.

Additionally, we had signed up online on John Heald's blog to be a part of the “official” Bloggers group, which meant we would get three in-cabin gifts, and would have access to the bloggers-only activities. When we got to our cabin on embarkation day, the first of our three “gifts” were waiting for us--lanyards with a bloggers group i.d. that would serve as our entry ticket into the exclusive events. There was also a printed schedule for the bloggers-only activities left in our cabin. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to attend any/many of the events, as we had other plans (and a toddler in tow), but I liked having the option. Apparently I somehow missed on said schedule that the third gift (t-shirts) would be handed out at an event on the last day of the cruise. Whoops...I was bummed not to have received mine, but it was totally my fault.

During muster drill that first afternoon, I looked over and saw five of the Bloggers group members I knew from the FB page. I had hoped to go over and say hi, but it just didn’t work out—and I didn’t see another member I recognized for the entirety of the cruise! Oh well…

Sunday, January 20 – First Day at Sea

We woke up fairly early this morning, and I tentatively got out of bed, waiting for the motion sickness to hit me again. Even though the ship was still rocking hard, I was pleased to see that the meds were working and I felt fine! We got dressed and went in search of breakfast. The buffet was crazy-busy, so we ended up at the Blue Iguana Cantina (again, not to be confused with the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar…I'm not sure how I feel about Carnival’s new branding—it’s kind of confusing with the similar names everywhere!). At breakfast, the Blue Iguana served made-to-order breakfast burritos, huevos rancheros, and arepas. The rest of the day, they were set up more like a Chipotle, and did custom burritos, tacos, and burrito bowls. They also had a pretty elaborate salsa bar.

Anyway, Aaron was a big fan of the breakfast burritos, but I couldn’t get past the powdered scrambled eggs found everywhere on the ship. Gross! The only way to get around it was to go somewhere where you could order poached, boiled, or fried eggs. Even the omelets were made from powdered eggs. Blech. What Zoey and I really liked for breakfast at Blue Iguana were the arepas. Yum! They were sweet corn pancakes filled with melted cheese, and they were delicious! I will definitely be re-creating these at home sometime soon…

After breakfast, we decided to brave Waterworks, the Breeze’s onboard water park and splash pad.

819432_10101215898511527_36034404_o.jpg

793639_10101215898571407_1045599627_o.jpg

She thought it was fun to lay down in the water, haha.

485936_10101215900158227_1855993762_n.jpg

550354_10101215900113317_333152353_n.jpg

(Note: it costs nothing to pose. They will print out proofs to display at the photo gallery the next day, and you can choose from those to purchase.)

Hope you had a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to the rest of your review. We are booked in Room 11201 in July and am quite interested in what you have to say about this room. Also, did you feel more motion in these rooms as compared to rooms on lower floors? Thanks.

I snatched this picture from my friend who stayed in #11201. I wish we had thought to take more pics of her room for a cabin comparison, but alas, we did not. You'll see it's a bit smaller than #11203, but it's still huge compared to a standard room!

295297_10101213101132497_496718390_n.jpg

As for the motion, yes...we definitely felt more motion in those rooms. Even our steward commented on that. We were eating dinner one night in the Cucina del Capitano (Deck 11 aft), and I felt zero motion whatsoever. We walked from the Cucina to our room (Deck 11 forward), and it felt like we were on a roller coaster with all the rocking and rolling. Go figure. The lower decks feel even less motion, but I think the size of the cabin far outweighed the negatives of the motion.

Archived