Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Arnhem

Many itineraries to The Netherlands include a stop in Arnhem as does our upcoming Springtime Tulips trip. We have a choice of the Kroller-Muller Museum or the WWII Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek. We have already been to the Kroller-Muller on a past cruise, but how can one tire of the outdoor Rodin Sculptures or Van Gogh paintings, or the beautiful setting of De Hoge-Veluwe National Park? On the other hand, The Airborne Museum tour sounds equally as compelling due to Operation Market Garden and "A Bridge Too Far". In addition, that tour gives those passengers more time to hang out in Arnhem's town square and stroll through the town. Is there anyone who has skipped the tours entirely and just explored Arnhem on their own?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

The WWII Airborne museum is definitely worth the stop. The most impressive part was that there were hosts there how watch the operation as it occured.

I would definitely go there again.

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

We visited the Museum in 2011, and agree that one cannot possibly absorb everything in one visit....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

We also visited the Palace t'Loo, an unexpected treasure.

Old February 4th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

NorthernPhoenix, I assume the museum you are referring to is the Airborne, not the Kroller-Muller Art Museum?

Old February 5th, 2013, 09:16 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOShrink View Post
Many itineraries to The Netherlands include a stop in Arnhem as does our upcoming Springtime Tulips trip. We have a choice of the Kroller-Muller Museum or the WWII Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek. We have already been to the Kroller-Muller on a past cruise, but how can one tire of the outdoor Rodin Sculptures or Van Gogh paintings, or the beautiful setting of De Hoge-Veluwe National Park? On the other hand, The Airborne Museum tour sounds equally as compelling due to Operation Market Garden and "A Bridge Too Far". In addition, that tour gives those passengers more time to hang out in Arnhem's town square and stroll through the town. Is there anyone who has skipped the tours entirely and just explored Arnhem on their own?
When we were on our 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise last April, we had an included tour of the Palace Het Loo in the morning and then optional tours of the Kroller-Muller Museum or the Airborne Museum in the afternoon. Alternatively, we could opt to spend the afternoon exploring Arnhem on our own, which is what my husband and I decided to do. We returned to our ship for lunch after the Palace tour, and then walked into Arnhem. It is an interesting town to explore, with lots of shops and cafes and some churches as well.

Old February 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOShrink View Post
NorthernPhoenix, I assume the museum you are referring to is the Airborne, not the Kroller-Muller Art Museum?
No, the Palace Het t'Loo. We visited the Canadian WW2 cemetary very early in the morning, then on to the Mueller museum, and then the Palace. We hired a private tour guide, and he made the arrangements for us. We were staying in Amsterdam after our Baltic cruise, aboard the HAL Rotterdam. I have two uncles buried in this cemetary,
Marilyn

Last edited by northernphoenix; February 9th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Old February 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

So now I have a logistical question. Does anyone know where the boat docks in Arnhem? Do they dock on the outskirts of town in an industrial area or close to the center of town? We are thinking of skipping the museums excursions and renting a car to drive to GIETHOORN, an idyllic picturesque lakeside village with thatched cottages, canals, humpbacked footbridges where you can rent flat bottom punts for the canals or bikes for the footpaths (no cars allowed). This place is the best kept secret (well, not anymore!) in the Netherlands. People actually live here in cottages with perfect lawns and flowerbeds. I felt like I was on a movie set when I was there 2 years ago. The drive looks like a straight shot on the A50 highway maybe 50 miles or so. Maybe if there a lot of repeat passengers on this Uniworld Springtime Tulips and Rhine April 16th sailing, we can rent a minivan and share expenses! Yes, I know it will make the Cruise Director very nervous as they don't like it when we venture off too far!....