Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Princess Saying Future Cruise Deposit Non-Refundable

While on our last Emerald cruise in 2010 my husband and I did a $200 future cruise deposit to be used before 4/14. We had booked a cruise on the Royal for Nov this year but have unfortunately had to cancel. We will not be able to take advantage of the $200 deposit before the allowed time so I requested the deposit back. My travel agent just informed me Princess will not refund the deposit but we can use it for another cruise. When we made this FCC it clearly stated is was fully refundable if canceled before final payment or unable to use before required date. Has anyone else had this problem getting their FCC refunded?

Ruby Princess 3/09

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd call Princess directly and ask them.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

No. I had about a year left on a FCC but with a son on college I decided it will probably be 2 years before I cruise again. I called and they credited my account in Decenber.
I noticed you said your travel agent told you. I would call Princess about this.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess your TA did not advise you very well I am a TA myself how it works is ike this. If you put a FCC down and do not use it ie apply to a booking then they will refund you at the time it expires to the card you used. If you apply it to a cruise which it seems like you did for Royal then you take the risk of loosing it. However princess will hold onto it and apply it to a future cruise. Once that FCC is applied and you book through a TA it tells the ta on Polar online princess booking engine that it can not be reversed. Hope this helps.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would call Princess directly. Not all TA's get the correct information.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Get a new TA.

REGAL PRINCESS
GRAND MEDITERRANEAN
SEPT 23RD 2014
PRE CRUISE WITH FAMILY IN MILAN!

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba98 View Post
I guess your TA did not advise you very well I am a TA myself how it works is ike this. If you put a FCC down and do not use it ie apply to a booking then they will refund you at the time it expires to the card you used. If you apply it to a cruise which it seems like you did for Royal then you take the risk of loosing it. However princess will hold onto it and apply it to a future cruise. Once that FCC is applied and you book through a TA it tells the ta on Polar online princess booking engine that it can not be reversed. Hope this helps.
Now this is interesting... Am I misreading, or are you saying if we use a TA and cancel a cruise before final payment date we won't get the FCC back, but if we book direct we would?? If so - doesn't seem fair to TA's.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would interpret this as that you did actually use your cruise credit when you booked the Royal cruise. If you had not booked it, then you would get a refund on your unused cruise credit.

I may be wrong, but this is how I think that Princess is regarding this, and therefore as it was "used" when you booked the cruise, they therefore aren't obliged to refund it.

I am sorry you had to cancel and hope you can cruise again soon.

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM
10,000+ Club

In the past, an FCC that was used on a booking which was later cancelled was put back in your account to be used on another cruise. I believe you could do this twice and then the FCC cost was automatically refunded and you lost out on the OBC. But at no time did you lose the cost of the FCC.

The OP should check to see if the FCC is re-banked in their My Princess account and if it is, they can call Princess directly to cancel it and be refunded the cost. I think the 'issue' here is that the TA cannot direct the FCC inside of the booking...but the OP can once it is returned to them.

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toberman View Post
Now this is interesting... Am I misreading, or are you saying if we use a TA and cancel a cruise before final payment date we won't get the FCC back, but if we book direct we would?? If so - doesn't seem fair to TA's.
This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment. My TA is looking into it further and if she does not get it back I will call Princess directly.

Ruby Princess 3/09

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba98 View Post
On my Captains Club Acct it is shown as a future cruise deposit. There are also OBC's that I understand I will lose, but am fully expecting to get the deposit back as I will not be able to cruise within the 4 year timeframe and canceled way before the final payment was due

Ruby Princess 3/09

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShapeinFL View Post
This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment. My TA is looking into it further and if she does not get it back I will call Princess directly.
I agree. I'd call Princess directly and ask two things: can you extend the FCC another year or two; or, can you get a refund. This is the first I've heard about an FCC being non-refundable so something doesn't sound right.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShapeinFL View Post
This was a deposit not an OBC and should be refunded like any other deposit is before final payment.
We understand that, but, as suggested - go to your My Princess account.. it may already show up there. If not and your TA can't resolve the issue, call Princess - as I know you will !! Let us know how it turns out.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Was this booking perhaps made during one of the "non-refundable" sales Princess has been so fond of lately?

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietemann View Post
Was this booking perhaps made during one of the "non-refundable" sales Princess has been so fond of lately?
I was just going to ask that question. I've been curious how Princess will handle the FCC booked under these new sales.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Very good question.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

When I tried to use a FCC a few months ago I was told that normally it would be refundable if I canceled, however the cruise I was looking to use it on was a sale and if I applied it, it would be non refundable. I ended up using it on a different cruise so there was no issue.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
They said the booking was on Royal, would they be putting her on sale already?
April 15...Hawaii Land Trip
Oct 15...Celebrity Equinox. Spain & Portugal cruise

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last year I had to cancel two cruises that I had reserved with FCCs. I canceled both cruises and then told Princess to refund the FCCs to my credit card. They did with no argument.

Worst case If you were to have waited 4 years from the date you bought it, it would be refunded automatically. Princess does not keep FCCs. That is one of the bonuses of buying one.

Truthfully, it sounds like your TA is trying to get you to book another cruise. I agree, call Princess tomorrow, tell them to refund the FCCs, and then call your TA and tell them they are fired.

Next Cruise

Past Cruises
Pacific Princess - Tahtiti - 1 April 2014
Caribbean Princess W Caribbean Feb 15 2013
Royal Princess Innagural 10-29-2013
Crown Princess W Caribbean 1-26-2013
Ruby Princess Grand Europe 7-3-2011
Emerald Princess S Caribbean 2-6-2011
A bunch of other ones before getting on Cruise Critic

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

2 years ago we had a cruise booked using a future cruise credit and paid in full. 2weeks before the cruise departure I was admitted to hospital and forced to cancel. Because we had trip cancellation we did get our money refunded. A small amount of reimbursement came from Princess. Thinking that our FCC would be returned to just that, we were surprised to see that in crediting our credit card we also received the FCC credited to the card. ...thus cancelling the FCC. We did not lose the $100 each