Hi there! Why haven't you registered yet?? You are missing out on our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY! Register Now!
I thought that many of you might be interested in some of the Crystal Cruises You Care, We Care volunteer programs scheduled for 2013 which are mentioned in this press release from Crystal Cruises.
FIVE WAYS TO GIVE BACK GLOBALLY IN 2013
LOS ANGELES, February 7, 2013 – Crystal Cruises has reaffirmed its commitment to its You Care, We Care program by offering complimentary opportunities for guests and crew to volunteer around the world in 2013 while sailing aboard Crystal Serenity or Crystal Symphony. Enlightening shoreside experiences are planned for California to Croatia, allowing Crystal travelers to:
AID ANIMALS: Assist in the rescue and care for animals, ranging from dolphins to cats, at rescue and rehabilitation centers throughout Europe, in:
Barcelona -- CRAM Marine Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Center
Rostock, Germany -- Rostock Zoological Garden
Bergen, Norway -- Animal Protection Rescue Center
SUPPORT DISADVANTAGED COMMUNITIES: Provide company, gardening, dining, or decorating assistance for disabled and elderly residents of caretaking facilities, ranging from a 650-year-old elder-care home to a 400-year-old Italian charity brotherhood, in:
· Dubrovnik -- Domus Christi Home for the Elderly
· Livorno -- Luigi Scotto Foundation
· Naples -- Charity of Pio Monte della Misericordia
· Valencia -- AIDEM Association
3. CARE FOR CHILDREN: Help underprivileged children around the globe, from playing with homeless kids rescued from the streets to teaching tots how to read, in:
· Odessa -- The Way Home
· Singapore -- LIFE literacy program
· Boston – Cradles to Crayons
4. FEED THE HUNGRY: Feed those less fortunate via orchard-picking, food-serving, or donation-organizing and distribution, in:
· Halifax -- Feed Nova Scotia
· Tallinn -- Estonian Food Bank
· Santa Barbara -- Backyard Bounty
5. GIVE GREEN: Keep natural landscapes clean via conservation efforts, in:
· Astoria, Oregon -- Fort Stevens State Park
“Our voluntourism program provides a vehicle through which the Crystal family can come together and connect more intimately to the destinations we visit,” says John Stoll, vice president, land and port operations. “...not to mention, support the locales that welcome us so generously.”
Crystal’s You Care, We Care program was launched in 2011. Since then, the cruise line has planned to offer at least one volunteer excursion on every cruise and covered all logistical arrangements and costs for guests and crew to participate. Some charitable organizations have been visited just once a year, while others have been visited several times a season, and returned to the following year, building goodwill over multiple visits. This year, the program will extend outreach in Europe, New England/Canada, South America, and Asia.
A cornerstone of Crystal Cruises’ culture is its genuine hospitality and service that has been internationally celebrated for two decades. This spirit of generosity extends to its respectful treatment of the environment, oceans and communities in which it travels.
My husband and I participated in the Food Bank project in Tallinn, Estonia. It was very rewarding. I would highly recommend participating in these programs, particularly if you have already visited a port and do not want to see the usual tourist spots.