Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Thomson Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecttr View Post
Well I am back home and everything is so sad really. They had a short service aboard for the crew yesterday and some passengers did attend although it was really for the crew. To be honest I don't think i had the guts to go, just too emotional.

They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.

Getting everyone home was well handled with only a couple of glitches. The majority flew home yesterday and the last 650 today. After we left at 1pm I was told that most of the crew will be stood down and can do whatever they want.

I found it humbling that, even after all that had happened the crew went on doing their jobs with the normal efficiency and even managed to smile.

The damaged number 9 lifeboat remains on the dock at La Palma and the twin number 10 on the port side is also out of service. Passengers allocated to those boats were reassigned to others, and had to attend another lifeboat drill.

I would not speculate on the ultimate cause of the accident as it will be a long business to determine if anyone was to blame or if there was a fault in the cable etc etc. Sadly, the only ones to profit out of this may well be the lawyers.
Welcome back Dave! Glad to hear you're back safely. Must have been a horrible few days. Good to see Thomson handling the situation well though with getting everyone home.

Hope you're well. I know many on here are feeling quite upset about the recent events, so it must have been awful being onboard with it all happening.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Thomson Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM123 View Post
Why are the passengers that have witnessed the poor safety standards of Thomson and then been sat waiting on dockside for 3 days been asked to pay for flights. Flights that were bought as a package but ended up using 4 different airports to sit in a dock
Hi HM,

Customers on a package holiday with us are being given a full refund of their holiday cost, including their flights.

For those who are on a cruise and stay holiday, they're being given a 50% refund of their total holiday cost to cover the cruise element of their holiday. They've also been taken to Tenerife to continue the stay.

All customer's who've been affected by the curtailment of the cruise will be contacted by our After Travel Customer Support Team within 28 days to confirm their refund.

Regards,

Dan.

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thomson travel alert 13/02/2012

Update at 22:00 on 13 Feb.
http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/a...vel-alert.html

Ship's automatic positioning data shows it still moored in S. C. de La Palma this am. However it could still reposition to Tenerife by Friday.

Old February 14th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrybrow View Post
Update at 22:00 on 13 Feb.
http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/a...vel-alert.html

Ship's automatic positioning data shows it still moored in S. C. de La Palma this am. However it could still reposition to Tenerife by Friday.
Checkout marinetraffic.com

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your update Davecttr.

"
They were testing all the lifeboat falls today which involved lowering the boat, sailing it away and attaching a huge bag to each fall, this was then hauled up and pumped full of hundreds of tons of seawater. If they all pass I believe they are hoping the ship will get a safety certificate and can cruise again from friday.
"
It's good to know that the lifeboat cables are being tested. I'm sure a lot of people will be relieved to hear that. Wonder why Thomson can't share the news that this is being done to reassure future pax?

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

glad to have you back dave....many thanks for the update....a shocking, horrible thing to happen....hopes you are well

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3globetrotter3 View Post
I think this is unacceptable. I am aware that the drill now has to take place before the ship sails but you should at least have had the opportunity to attend the drill next day. Even passengers who have changed cabins would be required to attend the drill if they were on board for a second week.
This was not a one off, the Doncaster flight arrives in Tenerife after lifeboat drill every week. So every week there are passangers on board Majesty, some who are new cruisers, who haven't taken part in a drill.

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Great customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson Cruises View Post
Hi HM,

Customers on a package holiday with us are being given a full refund of their holiday cost, including their flights.

For those who are on a cruise and stay holiday, they're being given a 50% refund of their total holiday cost to cover the cruise element of their holiday. They've also been taken to Tenerife to continue the stay.

All customer's who've been affected by the curtailment of the cruise will be contacted by our After Travel Customer Support Team within 28 days to confirm their refund.

Regards,

Dan.
Hi Dan

Thanks for this reassurance and I just wanted to state again what brilliant customer service we have received. I will without doubt choose Thomson for future holidays as you have managed this awful incident so well.

We flew back yesterday to Newcastle airport where a coach was waiting with Thomson staff who were so helpful to transfer us back to Leeds. The pilot was apologetic, the free food and drink a great gesture and this reassuring message about refunds has made what could have been an awful days travel with a cranky dissapointed 5 year old a much more bearable situation.

Well done again to the Uk team and the ships crew.

Nix111

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome back Dave

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome home, Nixx and Dave.

You have experienced a terrible situation and I want to send you my best wishes.

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome back Dave, a very poignant and compassionate post by you. My heart really does go out to all those affected by this.

Shirley, I hope you can salvage the rest of your holiday and enjoy and relax as much as is possible.

Nix, glad to hear that you too are back safe and well and hope your little one was not too affected

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Welcome home Dave. It was good to meet you on the ship. So dreadful, what happened later. Glad Thomsons handled a terrible situation so well. Take care
Thomson Celebration x2, Thomson Dream x3, Thomson Majesty, Thomson Spirit, Fred.Olsen Braemar x3, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Ocean Village.

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix111 View Post
Hi Dan

Thanks for this reassurance and I just wanted to state again what brilliant customer service we have received. I will without doubt choose Thomson for future holidays as you have managed this awful incident so well.

We flew back yesterday to Newcastle airport where a coach was waiting with Thomson staff who were so helpful to transfer us back to Leeds. The pilot was apologetic, the free food and drink a great gesture and this reassuring message about refunds has made what could have been an awful days travel with a cranky dissapointed 5 year old a much more bearable situation.

Nix111
So glad you got home OK, thanks for all the updates and hope your little one is OK
Thomson Celebration x2, Thomson Dream x3, Thomson Majesty, Thomson Spirit, Fred.Olsen Braemar x3, Celebrity Eclipse, Jewel of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Crown Princess x2, Sea Princess, Ocean Village.

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome back Dave and Nix and thank you for your updates.
I just wanted to send my best wishes to you.

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]

Thomson Majesty 31.8.2012. Pearls of Aegean
Thomson Majesty 1.3.2013. Canarian Flavours
Thomson Majesty 13.4.2013. Colourful Coasts
Thomson Majesty 6.9.2013. Adriatic & Thomas Bay

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I wonder why a discussion on Thomson cruise FB started by a lady due to go on Majesty tomorrow, has disappeared? .

Thomson Majesty 13.4.2013. Colourful Coasts
Thomson Majesty 6.9.2013. Adriatic & Thomas Bay

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Good to hear first hand how well Thomson have looked after you all and pleased to know the crew are on stand down, they will need it.

Great to get an update Dave of what is currently going on out at the ship hopefully Thomson will make a statement very soon on any findings and update those meant to be travelling out Friday. I suspect decisions are out of Thomson hands at the moment.

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Dave, its lovely to have you back !!

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix111 View Post
Hi Dan

Nix111
Hi Nix , welcome back and great to hear your comments about how Thomsons looked after you all, they always seem to come up trumps when things go wrong and im sure it must have been so upsetting for everyone involved.
Well done Thomson !

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakanne1 View Post
I wonder why a discussion on Thomson cruise FB started by a lady due to go on Majesty tomorrow, has disappeared? .

The one wondering if to pack or not ?
Yes def gone, she must have deleted it for some reason, very strange

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgirl1957 View Post
The one wondering if to pack or not ?
Yes def gone, she must have deleted it for some reason, very strange
Has she deleted it or has someone else?