Elderly couple disappears during cruise

derf5585

I heard 2 passengers never re-boarded the ship causing delays and

shifting of ports of call. Aruba was scrubbed and St.Thomas was put

in its place. Has anyone heard if the passengers were ever found??

This happened last week.

I am sad that they disappeared but I think I would be a little upset that they skipped Aruba because of it. after all that would be the only reason I went on the cruise as far as ports go.

Should a cruise ship join in the search or continue on?

There is no way to accidently fall off the ship--unless you exhibit a behavior that improves your chances. (e.g. climbing up on the rail): or you are the victim of foul play. The only people I am sympathetic toward is their family. Please enlighten me if there is another way to fall overboard.

From Events At Sea:

From a passenger: Two passnegers jumped from the Carnival Destiny on Thursday May 12th between 8:30 PM and 4 AM while the ship was going from Barbados to Aruba. The ship turned around to search for the missing passengers. Their belongings were found in a pile on one of the decks. The belongings included thier passports. There was apparently a suicide note from the approximately 70 year old couple. US and Venezulan coastguards took over the search on Friday May 13th at 1 PM. The ship was discharged and had to change ports. The passengers were brought to St. Maarten on Saturday the 14th. The couple were US citizens who were of Vietnamese decent. Their 3 children were also on board. The children were in their 30s. The FBI met the ship in San Juan Perto Rico as the investigation continued.

cheeky where did you find out that info? I have been watching hte news and reading papers and never saw that info. WE were on the ship for this cruise and they never mentioned that

Im not making lite of the situation, but there's ALWAYS things family doesnt know. They could have lost all their money in investments or gambling, or maybe they were diagnosed with cancer...who knows....

wish the best for them, though

Im not making lite of the situation, but there's ALWAYS things family doesnt know. They could have lost all their money in investments or gambling, or maybe they were diagnosed with cancer...who knows....

wish the best for them, though

I agree, while things like this are very sad, it seems that is the family's response everytime. "Oh no, it wasnt suicide, they were fine, nothing was wrong with them" There are things that people go through that not even their closest family and friends may know about. I guess the reaction comes from grief, the negative stigma of suicide in general that the family tries to avoid. It really is sad. I pray that the family finds comfort.

Something like this always makes people wonder: is it suicide, foul play or an accident. One never always knows the inner workings of a human being's mind, even family members often times do not know. I happened to check out "The Events at Sea" page just last night, and did not realize the number of people (including crew members) who do end up either missing and assumed overboard or were seen falling from the ship. I guess when you think of the number of people who travel on a ship every year, the number is not that great. But it still is kind of shocking to me.

Archived