Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old February 17th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bathing Suits w/ Waterproof Pockets

So we are leaving on the Gem in 2 weeks for the Caribbean and due to the amount of beach/sailing excursions planned we really dont want to carry anything other than cash/cards if we can help it. We are looking for some sort of bathing suit that has waterproof pockets that zip... I cant seem to find anything online - any recommendations for something that i can pick up locally? Or maybe another suggestion? We want to avoid having to carry something around or have it hanging around our neck.

Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey07850 View Post
So we are leaving on the Gem in 2 weeks for the Caribbean and due to the amount of beach/sailing excursions planned we really dont want to carry anything other than cash/cards if we can help it. We are looking for some sort of bathing suit that has waterproof pockets that zip... I cant seem to find anything online - any recommendations for something that i can pick up locally? Or maybe another suggestion? We want to avoid having to carry something around or have it hanging around our neck.

Thanks!
You could try a waterproof waist pouch made by Aloksak. I'd put my things in a small baggie and then into the pouch.

Waterproof up to 200 ft.
Navy Tested
Waist strap adjust to 46"
No metal parts
Two Sizes:
Reg. 6" x 6"
Large 6" x 9"

Last edited by NLH Arizona; February 17th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ziplock baggie´s work well. Especially the thicker freezer bags.

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I acutually bought a swiss army brand vicotorinox pair of bathing shorts and they came with a pouch that was resealable and air and water tight. It was a pleasant surprise
I also use and otter box that is small and waterproof as well
I discovered the otter box way before they started making cell phone cases
Enjoy!!

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLH Arizona View Post
You could try a waterproof waist pouch made by Aloksak. I'd put my things in a small baggie and then into the pouch.

Waterproof up to 200 ft.
Navy Tested
Waist strap adjust to 46"
No metal parts
Two Sizes:
Reg. 6" x 6"
Large 6" x 9"

I was going to ask where you found this, but I found it on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/LOKSAK-Splashs...aterproof+bags. I like the teal.

We've enjoyed every ship on which we've cruised!

Rollcall/event info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

** 20+ Cruises on Norwegian Cruise Line ** 250 point milestone achieved!

Finally made it to "Ruby" on Princess.

Coming up:

Carnival Dream: 7 day Western Caribbean
Norwegian Dawn: Boston to New Orleans - Beans to Beads Reunion Cruise with our Cruzin Cuzins
Grand Princess: 10 day Mexican Riviera plus La Paz & Loreto
Celebrity Equinox: 10 day Caribbean (first time on Celebrity)
Norwegian Jewel: Alaska with our Cruzin Cuzins

Last edited by OceanDreaming2; February 17th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I really like the Victorinox shorts but for what I'm after they are a bit pricey. The Otterbox and pouch options seem like they would work well

Thanks!

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I really like the Victorinox shorts but for what I'm after they are a bit pricey. The Otterbox and pouch options seem like they would work well

Thanks!
I think the pouch I posted about is about $20.

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: A perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zokov islands.

I second double and triple bagging with good zip lock baggies. Can't hurt to be extra safe!

Same goes for liquid meds etc. in your bags/luggage for that matter.

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I leave my cash, ID and room key in my zipped bathing suit pocket. The water never ruined anything and I've never had a bartender turn down wet money!

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt Rider View Post
Thats what I use. Works great!
December 2010 NCL Epic - Eastern Carribean - Penthouse Suite
October 2011 NCL Sky - Bahamas - Balcony cabin
February 2013 NCL Epic - Eastern Carribean - 2 bedroom Haven suite

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozinCruizin View Post
I leave my cash, ID and room key in my zipped bathing suit pocket. The water never ruined anything and I've never had a bartender turn down wet money!

This is what I was going to say -- although I'd probably put mine in a ziplock baggie to keep them together, if you're just carrying cash/credit card/ID/ship card you don't really need it to be waterproof as none of these things will be harmed by the water.

Norwegian Epic -- Western Caribbean -- January 2015 (Baby's First Cruise!)

Norwegian Gem -- Bahamas and Florida -- May 2013
Caribbean Princess -- Southern Caribbean -- March 2013
Norwegian Dawn -- Bermuda -- June 2012 (Wedding Cruise Review)
Grand Princess -- Eastern Caribbean -- March 2012
Norwegian Dawn -- Bermuda -- July 2011
Norwegian Star -- Alaska -- May 2010
Norwegian Dawn -- Western Caribbean -- March 2010
Majesty of the Seas -- Bahamas -- June 2004

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks!
I was shopping in Kohls today and stopped to look at the swim trunks for the partner. The pair I ended up buying has a feature very similar to what you are looking for as well as some other neat safety features.

The shorts are made by zeroxposur. All the trunks they had on the rack has a special security pouch sewn inside the waistband to hold things like money or cards (its exactly the shape and size for credit cards/sign and sail.) The venom model has a zipper pocket on the leg, and it also came with a built in waterproof pouch that sits in the side pocket. (Its basically a plastic pouch on an elastic cord with enough slack so it slides perfectly in the pocket. I believe all the models may have this but I did not check.)

This is not exactly what you are looking for - but it sounds like it might be a compromise? I loved the inside security pocket bc I do not care about money getting wet, but I though the waterproof pocket insert was also a nice touch. They retail for 46, but were on sale (and I had a coupon) so I ended up purchasing them for $22. Not a bad price I thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.jpg (10.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0063.jpg (7.8 KB, 40 views)

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmativeDame View Post
I was shopping in Kohls today and stopped to look at the swim trunks for the partner. The pair I ended up buying has a feature very similar to what you are looking for as well as some other neat safety features.

The shorts are made by zeroxposur. All the trunks they had on the rack has a special security pouch sewn inside the waistband to hold things like money or cards (its exactly the shape and size for credit cards/sign and sail.) The venom model has a zipper pocket on the leg, and it also came with a built in waterproof pouch that sits in the side pocket. (Its basically a plastic pouch on an elastic cord with enough slack so it slides perfectly in the pocket. I believe all the models may have this but I did not check.)

This is not exactly what you are looking for - but it sounds like it might be a compromise? I loved the inside security pocket bc I do not care about money getting wet, but I though the waterproof pocket insert was also a nice touch. They retail for 46, but were on sale (and I had a coupon) so I ended up purchasing them for $22. Not a bad price I thought.

My problem is what do I do with my camera(s) while under water during an excursion? I don't feel comfortable leaving it in my tote bag above water without someone I know watching it.

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt Rider View Post
If you use a Ziplok baggie....where do you put it??

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser52888 View Post
My problem is what do I do with my camera(s) while under water during an excursion? I don't feel comfortable leaving it in my tote bag above water without someone I know watching it.
They do make waterproof seal-able camera cases, if you really want to take it in the water with you that could be an option. Personally, I have a cheap camera that I take with us (or my older digital that still takes great pictures) and use a new flash card each day. If someone walks off with my camera I haven't lost many photos and I don't have to lament the loss of an expensive camera. They do make "travel safes" and other things that you can place small items like cameras in and then lock them to something stationary on the beach like a lounge chair. Perhaps that would an option for you? You can also call/email/inquire about lockers at your excursion location as well.

I don't take anything I would be heartbroken to lose off the ship. No matter what you do there is always the chance something can break, get lost or be stolen. I have never had anyone steal anything from my beach bag as a wide variety of beaches on the east coast or abroad. Don't advertise yourself as a target and you will be less likely to be one.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLH Arizona View Post

I found a similar one on Amazon that is clear and has a shorter strap. I can put my stuff in it, wrap it around the shoulder strap of my suit, and tuck in inside (under the arm or on top of the breast). It works fairly well, IMO.

DML

Last edited by DMLyons; March 9th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.

Old March 9th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default waterproof camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser52888 View Post
I bought a kodak waterproof camera, about $60., takes great underwater pics and videos as well as great regular pics, lots of settings, came with wrist band/strap, I leave my regular camera on the ship.

NCL Dawn 3-2-2014
NCL Sun 12-1-2013
NCL Dawn 1-6-2013
NCL Sun 1-2012
NCL Sun 1-2011
HAL Westerdam 2010
HAL Westerdam 2009
HAL Zaandam 2008
RCCL 2007
Carnival 1992

Old March 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by coscab View Post
I bought a kodak waterproof camera, about $60., takes great underwater pics and videos as well as great regular pics, lots of settings, came with wrist band/strap, I leave my regular camera on the ship.
I should have mentioned that the underwater camera is not a throw away, it's a regular digital camera that uses an sd card.

NCL Dawn 3-2-2014
NCL Sun 12-1-2013
NCL Dawn 1-6-2013
NCL Sun 1-2012
NCL Sun 1-2011
HAL Westerdam 2010
HAL Westerdam 2009
HAL Zaandam 2008
RCCL 2007
Carnival 1992

Old March 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coscab View Post
If you don't do much travel to places you need a waterproof, Amazon has a four-pack of the disposable underwater cameras for $28. Then lock up the good camera aboard and take it under with you. Shrug. That way, you can have several people in your group with underwater cameras at the same time.

DML