Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Honestly, it didn't take much time or effort on the Mariner to arrange the M&G. All the staff was open and helpful, some came to the get togehters - just not a big deal here.

Speaking of the minimum number, I was on the Navigator and we were only 7 ( think). We just agreed to meet after the lifeboat drill in Galileo's. Easy, end of story. No big deal.

Bill, I'm sorry the staff wasn't friendly on the Voyager - that was not the case on the Mariner. All the Officers and other Management people - at all levels - were open and very nice to chat with.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Honestly, it didn't take much time or effort on the Mariner to arrange the M&G. All the staff was open and helpful, some came to the get togethers - just not a big deal here.

Speaking of the minimum number, I was on the Navigator and we were only 7 ( think). We just agreed to meet after the lifeboat drill in Galileo's. Easy, end of story. No big deal.

Bill, I'm sorry the staff wasn't friendly on the Voyager - that was not the case on the Mariner. All the Officers and other Management people - at all levels - were open and very nice to chat with.

Last edited by xrvlcruiser; March 30th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Peggy,

Disagree strongly. Personally ran three (one with the help of another CCr) meet & greets on board the voyager last yr (24 days in April (Dubai to Istanbul) and then 18 days (Mumbai to Bali) in December. Easily I spent 20+ hrs organizing the meet and greets before we boarded. Ask any CCr who attended and they will tell you they had fun and enjoyed these M/G's. The difference (IMO) in the success of our M/G's was not the F& B manager but the CD, Willie Aames our CD (Dubai to Istanbul) hit a Grand slam for Dubai to istanbul (we held two M&G's). On the other hand Paul Reynolds (Mumbai to Bali) as CD hit a foul ball. My experience in running a half dozen of these on regent, is the CD is the center of gravity on whether they run well or not. Host Dan has it right, Regent relies on CC guests to organize when again, IMO, Regent should foot the bill--they don't contract with Cruise Critic, because Regent/PCH is very, very cheap.

Pix of one of the three Meet & Greets (we organized not Regent):

ps. am running three MG on Silversea this year, but the difference is when I engaged (last fall) the President of Silversea and I explained the logic behind supporting the M/G for Silversea (after six months when she engaged all six hotel directors on SS) she agreed. Now SS is working with CC to host formal Meet & Greets. They join Crystal, RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara (who have formal M/G's with CC) who put their money/where their dedication to their CC guests are.

Last edited by WesW; March 30th, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel(Ret.)Wes View Post
outstandingly well (no perfectly well) said Dan, thank you.

Still feel very, very strongly Regent (and Oceania) for that matter due to the tremendous amount of $$ they make indirectly via cruise critic, should give back to cruise critics (guests) and cruise critic (this website).
Sadly FDR seems to only read the Oceania board, as he has next to no presence on the Regent board. So feeling like Regent is once again a step child that is not "loved" by her parent.

DH and I, after strongly looking at booking with Oceania and due to Regents continuing price creep have decided to book with Silversea. I will report back our impressions.

Sad but looking forward to a different adventure!

Last edited by nana541; March 30th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Nana - I completely agree with what you're saying. It's nice when/if there's some customer loyalty to a particular company - but if any company takes that customer loyalty for granted, they do so at their own risk! For a company to remain successful and profitable they have to "love" their customers (and seriously listen to them) as much (or actually more so) than their customers love them.

The "Museum of Now-Defunct Companies" is filled with the names of those organizations which, over time, took it's once-loyal customers for granted or failed to meet their changing requirements and desires. Can anyone say, "Eastman Kodak, or Poloroid, or Bosch & Lomb, or Honeywell, or TWA, or Pan Am, etc., etc.?"

In the price range that Regent operates, they are dealing with a very discriminating, sophisticated, and an affluent customer base, who don't have to "just accept" whatever is being offered to them by one particular company. They are not spending "next week's grocery money" on these cruises! They can, and often do, investigate other choices; particularly if they come to believe their requirements, requests, and suggestions are being ignored.

Be sure to let us know how you like Silversea! Best Regards.

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
10,000+ Club

Oh my goodness....... this thread continues to deteriorate. First I must say that I LOVE CruiseCritic (and am not kissing up). Host Dan -- this may be the first time we may agree to disagree. It is a matter of numbers... 5% of Regent guests vs. 5% of RSSC is a big difference. I discount Silversea here for reasons I would rather not go into. Just look at the numbers:-)

Secondy, FDR reads every single post on the Oceania and Regent boards. Based on the responses some of us get, do you blame him for not posting?????

Nana541 -- suggest you read the SS board before you book (or email me when I am at home)

Wes, we are really going to disagree here. The CD you mentioned first was useless in our opinion. However, Paul Reynolds has done everything in his power to make our Meet & Greet the best it could be. Again, I could give more specifics -- not on the Regent board.

Having planned my own M&G (aka M&M), I can say that every moment of effort put forth was worth it. I even had magnetic calendars with the Mariner and dates of our sailing made for attendees (not my idea -- this was done at a M&G on the Mariner two years ago by a CC member.) Also made nametags with a picture of the Mariner, dates and "Meet and Greet".

Regent would never make the effort that the wonderful CC'ers make. We do a far better job that any corporation can do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Travelcat2; March 31st, 2013 at 09:38 AM.

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlondon View Post
Sorry to come late to the discussion and maybe I misunderstand. I, however, found the friendliness of the Regent officers or management way lacking on our Sydney-Hong Kong cruise. In addition I commented on it on our first mid cruise card, our first final cruise card and our last final cruise card. My impression is that at that level Regent doesn't care.
If I had a dedicated group I would find a way to relate. If I were competing with SS, I would find a way to relate and if I had been told during a cruise the officers were stand-offish I would find a way to respond and finally I would make an effort to change the attitude.
Why no bridge tour? Why no RSSC sponsored galley tour? Why no effort by passing officers to stop and talk? As I said on my critiques this doesn't happen on SS.
If Mr. Kamlani is listening; and as we all know he gets these messages, love to hear a response. I sure didn't get one to my onboard replies despite a $50k outlay.

Captain Dag is GONE.No one like him serves as The Master on the RSSC ships.

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by getiton View Post
Captain Dag is a lovely man and a wonderful Captain. However, there are other Regent Captain's who also do a wonderful job.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Slightly Different Take

Aloha All,

Just a few thoughts to share here on a few items mentioned in this thread.

First, comments on Regent Management not posting on Cruise Critic:

I completely understand PCH management not posting regularly on CC. We own a very busy business in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry in Hawaii, and we get regular reviews on sites like Trip Advisor and Yelp. Posting on sites like CC is a really slippery slope as these sites can eat up a great deal of time because, if one replies once, every poster begins to expect a reply from the owner/President, and this is just not possible.

In our case, in the event of a negative review, if possible, I contact the poster directly to follow up, and generally, I apologize for not meeting expectations and offer a full refund for the poster's purchases (of course this is not possible on a 20k cruise!). Fortunately, we have a great staff and rarely get negative reviews.

Next, Regent's reluctance to enter into a contract to officially sponsor Cruise Critic Meet and Greet functions:

I understand PCH's position here as well. I have only been reading Cruise Critic for about a year and a half, and in that time, I have learned a great deal and have read some really good critiques of various cruise lines, shore excursions, ect. but I have also read some quite mean and petty comments between posters. Aside from these comments, I have also read a number of things on CC that were simply factually incorrect. By "officially" sponsoring CC Meet and Greets, one might argue that PCH would be implicitly approving of Cruise Critic member-created content, some of which is incorrect or reflects negatively on the PCH brands. For these reasons, our business would choose not to sponsor a similar TripAdvisor group (I believe TripAdvisor owns CC) event at our business if we were approached.

Third, are Cruise Critic members really part of a group?

I have read that PCH has hosted many events on their ships for various "groups;" these seem to be one-off events for members of certain groups or organizations who are cruising together. One example which comes to mind might be people who contribute to NPR and learned of their cruise on NPR Programs; these people would have certain things in common, such as financial support for NPR and interest in the NPR personnel and their chosen lecture topics for the cruise. So for Regent, these kinds of events are targeted to a certain audience with common interests, and they are one-cruise only events.

Cruise Critic members are simply people who participate in a free online discussion forum; yes, they may have a common interesting in cruising, but other than that, there is not really a common purpose for Cruise Critic members, and of course, on top of this, there will be at least a few Cruise Critic "members" on nearly every single cruise. This would seem to be a huge commitment on the part of PCH to officially sponsor an event on every single cruise.

I have a few other observationns, but it is Easter Sunday, and I am very busy at work, so I will leave it with a suggestion: Why not approach PCH management again and request that they put in place a systematic means to arrange general small-group informal functions aboard their ships?

This could simply be creating a request form and the means of contacting the appropriate personnel in order to find a time and place at which to meet, and the possibility of getting some refreshments. This way, Regent could help to systematize the process without the responsibility of managing a Meet and Greet on every single cruise. This would also have the advantage of CC'ers not bothering to contact Regent if there are only a few members on the Roll Call; they could simply arrange to meet in a lounge on board.

No offense meant to anyone here--just a way to look at this from a different perspective.

Aloha from Hanalei.

Old March 31st, 2013, 05:35 PM
Prestige Cruise Holdings

nana- WRONG again!
FDR

Old March 31st, 2013, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjdelrio View Post
nana- WRONG again!
FDR
Nana...you just got cyber slapped in the face! You will love Silversea....much like the old Radisson.

Old March 31st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjdelrio View Post
nana- WRONG again!
FDR
How disappointing.

Surely FDR could have made an apporpriate reply to the thread topic instead of slamming a poster.

Makes one wonder.

Old March 31st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is FJDLERIO really FDR? Of Oceania, etc? No way! Maybe Junior But not FDR!
Is this a pseudo CC?

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBirdCruiser View Post
Is FJDLERIO really FDR? Of Oceania, etc? No way! Maybe Junior But not FDR!
Is this a pseudo CC?
Actually, I think it is really him. I doubt that Prestige Cruise Holdings would allow someone to represent themselves, since 2005, as such with it being true.

Here is the CC profile page link and here is a link to all his posts.

j

Old April 1st, 2013, 03:33 AM
10,000+ Club

It is definitely the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Frank Del Rio that is posting. And, I do not feel he slammed anyone (although he is often slammed). He has always stated that he reads every post on Regent and Oceania and he does not lie. While I do not always agree with FDR, I have the highest respect for him.

Fizzy, I suggest that you read the food review on the Silver Shadow and the general review on the ship -- posted in the last few weeks. We have cruised Silversea and found them to be a good product (not quite as good as Regent but good). Something seems off with Silversea lately -- ships not being refurbished -- watered down orange juice, etc. I am sure that many of us are awaiting the "huge", "game-changing" announcement that should come forth from Silversea tomorrow, April 2nd. Whatever it is, I truly hope that Silversea will become the product it was two years ago.

Last edited by Travelcat2; April 1st, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I just got off a Silversea ship lastweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
It is definitely the CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Frank Del Rio that is posting. And, I do not feel he slammed anyone (although he is often slammed). He has always stated that he reads every post on Regent and Oceania and he does not lie. While I do not always agree with FDR, I have the highest respect for him.

Fizzy, I suggest that you read the food review on the Silver Shadow and the general review on the ship -- posted in the last few weeks. We have cruised Silversea and found them to be a good product (not quite as good as Regent but good). Something seems off with Silversea lately -- ships not being refurbished -- watered down orange juice, etc. I am sure that many of us are awaiting the "huge", "game-changing" announcement that should come forth from Silversea tomorrow, April 2nd. Whatever it is, I truly hope that Silversea will become the product it was two years ago.
My own impressions from last week are recent enough for me. Corporate must get very irritated with comments like yours about "watered down orange juice" and may we ask what the "etc." is? There is a link mentioned on this thread regarding all of FDR's comments over time and it appears that you got rebuked a couple of times by the great one yourself for spreading misinformation. You seem to always say that he does not lie. Who cares? We have spent many fabulous vacations on the Navigator and Mariner and find the products very similar, including the outstanding crews. I am looking for an exuse to return at some point but I also agree that the excursions were the deal breaker. You have so clearly stated OVER and OVER that you have canceled your SS cruise because of your special information. If these forums are for sharing, I ask again......What is your inside info and what is the source? thanks...Fizzy

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post

Having planned my own M&G (aka M&M), I can say that every moment of effort put forth was worth it. I even had magnetic calendars with the Mariner and dates of our sailing made for attendees (not my idea -- this was done at a M&G on the Mariner two years ago by a CC member.) Also made nametags with a picture of the Mariner, dates and "Meet and Greet".

Regent would never make the effort that the wonderful CC'ers make. We do a far better job that any corporation can do!!!!!!!!!!!!
We had the magnetic calendars given to us at our M & G which Ann, (Eager2Travel) organised at the beginning of this crossing.

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:45 AM
10,000+ Club

Default read Cruisecritic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzy View Post
My own impressions from last week are recent enough for me. Corporate must get very irritated with comments like yours about "watered down orange juice" and may we ask what the "etc." is? There is a link mentioned on this thread regarding all of FDR's comments over time and it appears that you got rebuked a couple of times by the great one yourself for spreading misinformation. You seem to always say that he does not lie. Who cares? We have spent many fabulous vacations on the Navigator and Mariner and find the products very similar, including the outstanding crews. I am looking for an exuse to return at some point but I also agree that the excursions were the deal breaker. You have so clearly stated OVER and OVER that you have canceled your SS cruise because of your special information. If these forums are for sharing, I ask again......What is your inside info and what is the source? thanks...Fizzy
Respectfully, 99 percent of your answers are on CC.

1. "etc" is clearly spelled on the SS board.

2. FDR acknowledged the misunderstanding approximately three years ago. I did not lie..... I repeated posts made by someone else on CC. I take FDRs comments graciously as he accepts mine.

3. As with anyone who reports information, sources are confidential. Again, read CC and you will learn a lot. Note, I cancelled my latest SS cruise while on board the Mariner. You can certainly look up my posts and determine where I repeated this information over and over.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Last edited by Travelcat2; April 1st, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by getiton View Post
,,,I was on the same exact cruise(Sydney-Hong Kong) and in my opinion you are so wrong in your asessment that there is no way to reasonably reply...

Old April 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry awed23, I was on the same cruise and I don't understand what your point is. Please enlighten so I may comment