Liberty Review and Pics 02.23.2013

In the airport FLL waiting for flight. Have to go through JFK and PIT before I get home. We had a great cruise. Rain all day yesterday for day at sea but we still had fun.

Great staff and beautiful ship. We had lots of fun at the ports. Have lots of photos to share when I get home. More details to follow....

We are also at the Miami airport just off the Liberty. This was one if our best cruises. Time to start planning the next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked on Pride for october while on the ship. Another countdown begins!:cool:

Hello Uniontown neighbor! Can't wait to read your review! At least you aren't coming home to lots of snow, we just have a dusting and the sun is out:)

In the airport FLL waiting for flight. Have to go through JFK and PIT before I get home. We had a great cruise. Rain all day yesterday for day at sea but we still had fun.

Great staff and beautiful ship. We had lots of fun at the ports. Have lots of photos to share when I get home. More details to follow....

Can't wait to hear about it. We're on the Liberty three weeks form today!! I can't wait!

We are also at the Miami airport just off the Liberty. This was one if our best cruises. Time to start planning the next!

that is great to hear!! We are boarding the Liberty one week from today!

Can't wait to hear all about it. We board the Liberty one week from today!!!!

Welcome Back to reality :) Have a safe flight.

We're one state over and it's overcast and 28` today. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear after basking in warm weather for the past week.

Nothing like nasty weather to help start planning your next cruise.:D

Hello fellow NE Ohioian! Looking forward to your review. We have under 60 days until we go on the Liberty! :D

:( Its cold here.

We finally got in last night around 9. What a mess that was! We had to change planes at JFK and the next gate involved going downstairs, going outside, getting on a crammed shuttle bus, hanging on for dear life, and an outdoor maze --- but we finally made it to Pittsburgh!! We dropped our friends off on the way home and I tried to unpack a little - but was zapped!

Anyway, I will try to give an overall "picture" of the review. This way, if you are not interested in the things we did, you don't have to read any further. Or if you are interested in the things we did not do, you won't be looking for it!

Here are things we did not do:

SPA. I did not use any spa services. I did use the gym one time though.

STEAKHOUSE. I do not like steak anyway, and am not a foodie. Give me pretty much anything and I will eat it when I am hungry. Just so long as it fills the void, its great.

SHOWS - We only went to one of the main shows. We started to fall asleep. Found it boring. I can only take so much singing and dancing. IMO, you've seen one show, you've seen them all. OH wait - we did go to another one. It was not singing/dancing - some type of a juggler. I am having a hard time remembering exactly what he did. How soon I forget. He did keep us entertained though. I really don't cruise for the shows, though.

BINGO - I am not a bingo player nor do I do table games. I do slot machines once in a while just for fun.

BUFFET - We only ate buffet once for breakfast, one time for lunch and I grabbed a salad around 8:00 one night. I can't really comment on the food there - pretty tough to ruin a salad. I will say that I am in the minority though and like the eggs at the buffet for breakfast.

COFFEE SHOP - I did attempt to purchase a coffee one morning, but the employee was very kind when she saw my tender ticket and advised it would be called soon, and I would not be allowed to take the coffee out on the tender boat. Glad I listened - soon after, we were called and off we went to GC.

LAUNDRY OR LAUNDRY SERVICE - That is the last thing I think about while on a cruise.

Here are the things we did:

We went with our friends - another couple the same age as we are. We are all aged 49...however, I started the cruise at 48! For the first few days, I sang a song: "one of these people is not like the other, one of these people is just 48" LOL. That quickly changed, though.

We did the Western Itinerary on the Liberty so the ports were:

Cozumel - we did Paradise Beach

Belize - we did cavetubing with Vitalino Reyes (cavetubing.bz)

Roatan - we did Jungle Top zipline and saw monkeys. (this was not preplanned)

Grand Cayman - we shopped around, had a local beer, and went to 7 mile beach for a while.

We had good service in the dining room, Anytime Dining. We ate there the majority of the time for breakfast and dinner. Our wait staff for dinner: Yaco, Antonio, and Aleksander. Even though we had anytime dining, we were seated at the same table every night, therefore keeping the same staff. They were friendly. Yaco asked about what we did at the ports, etc. When we missed on two different nights, they always said that they missed us. I wondered about this. Did they really? LOL

Our room steward was excellent. He was Castro from Costa Rica. He was friendly and efficient.

Oh, and we had an interior room on the Main Deck. We figured we wouldn't be in the cabin much - and we weren't.

Guys Burgers - Oh MY! Delicious. We ate these burgers on 4 different occasions! Wonderful. I want to add this: Guys Burgers closes at 6. NO Burgers offered at Lido for the late night snack (11;30-1:30). Choice of hot dogs, or some type of half-sandwich that appeared to be maybe ham and cheese. I did not try this. NO fries either at the late night snack - only chips. Still had cookies and the terrible brownies though. I skipped on both of these last two.

Pizza - we tried and I did not like. No calzones or salads offered, just the pizza with the ultra thin crust. I just did not care for it. DH had this late night a couple of times.

Drinks - I tried some of the drinks I had on my list to try such as: Dirty Banana, Twilight Zone, and French Martini. Found a few other new ones to try also - Punchliner - awesome! Drinks are Carnival are just great. So much better than anywhere else, or is it just because I'm on vacation???? And no, I don't want to think about the calories I consumed! Oh, and we did the Martini tasting at the Alchemy Bar. The employee there, Gabor, seemed a little standoffish, snide and sarcastic. We would have gone back for another drink there but he was always working and we just as well would have avoided him. One good thing - Martini tasting was lowered from $17 to $16! There's a shocker! I loved the chipotle martini and the "40 is the new 20". A couple others I had weren't so great, but I managed to get them in :D

Future Cruise Desk - we booked our next cruise for Pride in October. I think you should know ahead of time what you want to book and what cabin, etc. We didn't have any problems booking the cruise, but our friends went to inquire and they said that the woman was not very friendly and seemed to lose patience with them. But, they had not even looked beforehand and had no idea really what cruise they would like to choose. They did not book, as they want to think about it first.

Comedians - Average. We had Cowboy Bill in the beginning, I would say he was best of all of them. Also in the beginning was Marla Shultz. Fair. Later in the week, Valerie Storm and Doug Funk. Mediocre. Valerie was much funnier the first time we saw here. Doug, I just couldn't get into.

Comedy Brunch - we went twice at 9 am, for breakfast mostly. The first time we didn't even see a comedian. The second time, last sea day, Doug Funk came on at 10:00 am and wasn't all that great. I just find it really stupid that they do this in the first place. Just give me breakfast and be done with it. Why even mix breakfast and comedy? Doesn't make sense in the least to me.

Now, just some random thoughts before I get to photos:

Karl with a K, cruise director. He was great and very involved. Saw him many times, have some photos with him. Nice to have a CD that is involved and has some personality, IMO.

Lido Deck Parties - We didn't go to the Mexican buffet on Cozumel day, because we were tired and went to bed at 11! But, we did go to another deck party and found mostly teenagers...the Club 02 or whatever its called. They were basically taking over the party. It just seemed to me that instead of being a deck party, it was the teen party, they should have just advertised it as that in the fun times???

Ship general maintenance and staff - mostly friendly, Found a couple of sourpusses. LOL Ship was mostly clean. I had the roughest and ugliest lamp shade in my cabin! I have pictures of it. It had stains and it was torn in places. I have photos of it, DH said, wow, that should be just in the general maintenance. Minor detail but noticed. Also, I found a spot on the carpet near the edge of the bed that looked like food had been stuck there, with mold growing on it (yuk). I tried to ignore it and wasn't going to let it bother me. Our friends had problem with the drain backing up in the shower, so it was flooding their floor. They called and it was promptly attended to.

Okay, so I'm importing photos to Facebook and only 215 out of 555 came in?? Going to have a look and see what's up....then will get on with it - even before laundry ;)

Butterbean, didn't see ya on the cruise! Were you at the meet and greet?

No, I couldn't remember what time it was for. I kept doing "drive by's" on the lido all afternoon and couldn't find it. We also had Yaco and his team for dinner. We loved him. Our canon steward never introduced himself to us and we rarely saw him. He did keep our cabin well stocked and clean. I think his name was Carlos. We were on the port side of the Panorama.

FEBRUARY 22 2013:

We awoke very early. We're talking middle of the night early. We arranged to pick up our friends on the way to the Pittsburgh Airport, so we told the we'd be there at 4:30 AM. We collected them and went to a nearby Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a donut.

We then proceeded to Pittsburgh and dropped our trailblazer off at Charlie Brown's parking. Love them. They have a shuttle bus to the airport terminal, and they are always prompt.

We get through security and on to our 7 AM flight. I was hoping to sleep a little and maybe dozed for 10 minutes, that's it.

We had a slight layover in Atlanta. We grabbed a bite to eat and waited

Here is DH with friend, waiting around

208540_10151467551713958_1408000215_n.jpg

Finally, we make it to FLL! I had rented a car with Thrifty. We catch a shuttle to the rental car location and pick up a vehicle. I had reserved a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "or similar". LOL. We all kept joking about the "or similar" part. I said maybe we will get a smart car, who knows? LOL

In the end, we had a Chevrolet Traverse LTZ and it was nice, leather seats and all. I got in on a sale, it was 49.99 for the day (we returned next day at Miami), but with taxes, fees, and this charge and that charge, and because my name is Brenda charge, (lol) the FINAL GRAND TOTAL was around 80.00. Not bad, since we had another couple to split the cost with.

856224_10151467551703958_1217669896_o.jpg

Don't know why the picture of the vehicle posted so large! That's the thing, sometimes when I copy photos from Facebook, some of them are larger than others. So I guess you will just be surprised at the size of the photos!

Anyhow, after we were all loaded up in the car, we used our phone GPS to find our hotel. We had made reservations through the Last Minute travel website. We didn't want to go too pricey since we just wanted to sleep there for one night. We found LaQuinta on Peters Road in Plantation area for $93 a night. This was not the best hotel, nor the worst. It was fine for one night. Next time, I think it would be worth paying slightly more if I could find something a little nicer. For February though, in Fort Lauderdale area, this was very inexpensive.

I chose a double room, rather than a King. I like to stretch out in my own bed at night.

857534_10151467551653958_1527666900_o.jpg

We were given a room on the fourth floor, and I originally thought, great higher level = less traffic, less used room = better. Not so, burn holes in floor. Very well used.

Sorry this is dark

885325_10151467551923958_1559221979_o.jpg

574755_10151467552043958_1036305845_n.jpg

522724_10151467552128958_1449837827_n.jpg

856161_10151467552868958_623755275_o.jpg

After a while at the hotel, we decided to venture out. We found our way over to Hollywood Beach area. We were so happy to be in sunshine and warm weather. And of course we were very excited to start our vacation.

886829_10151467553738958_535209920_o.jpg

859415_10151467553508958_2026404895_o.jpg

859021_10151467555728958_340238547_o.jpg

885669_10151467555713958_642288779_o.jpg

859479_10151467554608958_2044480857_o.jpg

858236_10151467554173958_117645942_o.jpg

Archived