Bringing wine onboard

ranchette

Do I put the bottle(s) of wine in my suitcase, wrapped very carefully? Or is this asking for trouble?

Last cruise we had the cabbie stop at a wine store for us but this time we're taking the SAS shuttle from FLL to the MIA port.

Thanks,

Shane

Do I put the bottle(s) of wine in my suitcase, wrapped very carefully? Or is this asking for trouble?

Last cruise we had the cabbie stop at a wine store for us but this time we're taking the SAS shuttle from FLL to the MIA port.

Thanks,

Shane

Do not pack the wine in your packed luggage. It it supposed to be in your carry on bag. That's the policy.

Thanks,

Shane

Just a slight correction to what info you have already received: You may indeed pack the wine in your checked luggage/suitcase. There is nothing in the Celebrity policy that states you can't. As you stated...just make sure it is well protected/wrapped....As others have reported in the past...Security MAY hold your bag for inspection...if perhaps they are unable to identify the bottles as wine...as opposed to other banned liquids.

Have often packed wine in the suitcase...and it has always arrived at the cabin without a problem; and have never been called to the "Naughty" room to claim it.

Enjoy

Woody

Do not pack the wine in your packed luggage. It it supposed to be in your carry on bag. That's the policy.

Just a slight correction to what info you have already received: You may indeed pack the wine in your checked luggage/suitcase. There is nothing in the Celebrity policy that states you can't. As you stated...just make sure it is well protected/wrapped....As others have reported in the past...Security MAY hold your bag for inspection...if perhaps they are unable to identify the bottles as wine...as opposed to other banned liquids.

Have often packed wine in the suitcase...and it has always arrived at the cabin without a problem; and have never been called to the "Naughty" room to claim it.

Enjoy

Woody

Obviously one of these statements is wrong. Based on my experience and understanding Woody is correct.

KeywestK, perhaps you are thinking about a different cruise line?

Also, although the policy states 750ml bottles, many people bring boxed wines (which hold more than 750ml) onboard without issue. The last time we cruised, I brought on a 1 liter bottle and it was fine as well.

Karen may have gotten confused with some other cruise line. Celebrity doesn't state that your allotted two bottles must be in carry on. Packing carefully, perhaps with bubble wrap or a wine bottle "diaper" as extra protection, but you can definitely put them in the checked luggage if you so desire.

Thanks,

Shane

Is there such a policy and if so do you know where it is published? I've never noticed it, so if there is I'd like to know about it.

From my own experience: We've never had issues one way or the other carrying wine either in our suitcase or in a carry-on. We've never had a bottle break in our suitcase and if you pack it in the middle of your clothing they are pretty well protected. Some people buy wine protection bags, available on Amazon or other online retailers, which are designed to further cushion the wine and contain any breakage or spill as well.

More recently we've always carried our wine on board and that is to prevent a possible diversion of our luggage to the security inspection room (sometimes called the "naughty room" here on Cruise Critic) which would delay our receipt of the luggage and require us to go there to open it for inspection. This can happen if during the standard security scan the bottles are detected but the scanner can not determine if the bottles are wine or liquor without a visual inspection.

Also, although the policy states 750ml bottles, many people bring boxed wines (which hold more than 750ml) onboard without issue. The last time we cruised, I brought on a 1 liter bottle and it was fine as well.

While most reports I've read are like yours and reflect no issues with boxes or large bottles of wine, there are some reports where people have had these confiscated. I don't know if the issue is confusion by ship staff over the policy or just inconsistend enforcement. But the bottom line is that if one wants to be certain of having no issues bringing their wine on board they should stick to one or two bottles under 750ML and avoid large boxes or bottles. I've also seen that in some places the written polices specify 750ML or smaller, at the same time that there nothing about bottle size in other places, so this might be a recent change in the written policy which hasn't spread to all places it is published yet.

Does Celebrity allow passengers to bring wine and/or beer purchased from Port visits (not from duty-free establishments) to your statemroom for consumption or do they hold it until the end of the cruise?

We are on a Baltic Cruise later this year and wondered if it would be okay to buy German wine / beer, Swedish aquavit (sp?) or Russian vodka for immediate consumption on the ship? [i guess we may buy some for later consumption too :)]

Does Celebrity allow passengers to bring wine and/or beer purchased from Port visits (not from duty-free establishments) to your statemroom for consumption or do they hold it until the end of the cruise?

We are on a Baltic Cruise later this year and wondered if it would be okay to buy German wine / beer, Swedish aquavit (sp?) or Russian vodka for immediate consumption on the ship? [i guess we may buy some for later consumption too :)]

The rules state only 2 bottles per stateroom, and only during initial embarkation.

It seems to be a crap shoot. Sometimes they stop you and sometimes they don't. You have to really play it by ear and be prepared to give it up if asked.

The policy is only wine and only two bottles per SR at embarkation only, not other ports.

We have had times in ports when our wine is taken and others it was not and we've always had it out in the open or in an obvious bag. Heck, one time our friends in front of us in line walked through security w their bottles w no problem and we were motioned over to the steward who took and marked it for return at the end of the cruise.

One point, on B2B cruises, they've returned the wine and liquor at the end of the first cruise and it was avail for the 2nd. At least that happened up to last Nov.

Den

One point, on B2B cruises, they've returned the wine and liquor at the end of the first cruise and it was avail for the 2nd. At least that happened up to last Nov.

Den

I think Celebrity has gotten wise to that. On our TA on Equinox last November, the B2Bers said they kept it until we arrived Ft. Lauderdale. Additionally, I asked the guy at the liquor store who confirmed they were doing that.

Here's the official policy, per the Celebrity website:

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you at the beginning of the cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

• Celebrity Century: April 27, 2013, and Sept. 26, 2013

• Celebrity Infinity: Sept. 6, 2013 - Oct. 12, 2013

• Celebrity Millennium: Sept. 13, 2013

• Celebrity Solstice: May 6, 2013, and Sept. 13, 2013

On the sail dates above, those who book a company-sponsored winery tour are permitted to bring two bottles of wine from the winery onboard per stateroom on the day of the tour. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee.

If you receive a bottle of wine that was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is enjoyed in the dining room or any public area. If you receive a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25 corkage fee per bottle will apply if you wish to enjoy the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

I think Celebrity has gotten wise to that. On our TA on Equinox last November, the B2Bers said they kept it until we arrived Ft. Lauderdale. Additionally, I asked the guy at the liquor store who confirmed they were doing that.

So much for that....

Here's the official policy, per the Celebrity website:

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you at the beginning of the cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

• Celebrity Century: April 27, 2013, and Sept. 26, 2013

• Celebrity Infinity: Sept. 6, 2013 - Oct. 12, 2013

• Celebrity Millennium: Sept. 13, 2013

• Celebrity Solstice: May 6, 2013, and Sept. 13, 2013

On the sail dates above, those who book a company-sponsored winery tour are permitted to bring two bottles of wine from the winery onboard per stateroom on the day of the tour. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee.

If you receive a bottle of wine that was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is enjoyed in the dining room or any public area. If you receive a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25 corkage fee per bottle will apply if you wish to enjoy the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Notice that there is no mention of bottle size. I have always brought two 1.5L bottles and never had a problem.

Does Champagne come under the description of 'wine', would I be allowed to take 2 bottles of that on board with me?

Champagne is allowed but be careful of the bottle size if u bring 2 as some are greater than 750 ml; tho they may not call u on it. We brought a large bottle of champagne and a bottle of red wine on our last X cruise and we had no issues.

Thx all for all of your responses and reminding me of the no beer or hard liquor rule!

Archived