Yes..another "This is my last cruise with Carnival" Thread

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:51 PM.
615 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I have a cruise for two people in one stateroom scheduled on Carnival Dream for May 18, 2013. Unfortunately, I didn't book Early Saver and for that "privilege" paid a bit more. Now that we're within the cancellation penalty phase, many of my fellow Dreamers are getting price drops and OBCs. Many of them have the same stateroom category. At last count, some people are now effectively paying almost $300 less than I am for the same category! I even did a mock booking and found a room just three doors down the hall from mine that was $430 cheaper.

Although I knew it would probably be a wasted effort, I called Carnival to discuss the issue. Mostly I called because others in my same situation claimed they had received at least a refund of the difference. For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.

After being on the telephone with Carnival for 35 minutes, and the representative trying to accommodate the price reductions, the line disconnected while I was on hold. It was not my phone that disconnected. Rather, it was on their end.

So, I called again, made my way through their voice-recognition/menu system, and after 3-4 minutes got to speak with a different person. I explained everything all over again. While the new representative was very pleasant, she also very pleasantly informed me that there wasn't anything she could for me.

Bottom line, and I shared this with her as well before hanging up, it may be the practice of a cruise line to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category, but that doesn't mean I have to patronize that cruise line. And, it may be that other cruise lines do the same thing. If so, well then maybe they can just cruise without my money.

I am not happy with Carnival. I am within the penalty phase, so will not cancel. But I am 99.9% certain I will never cruise with Carnival again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Carolina
2,132 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Those that book Early Saver are risking a nonrefundable deposit (with a charge to change dates, etc) to get that price protection. I was willing to take that chance, but not everyone wants to do so. Other fares without that price protection are fully refundable (up until the final payment date). Airlines don't refund the price difference if someone books a lower fare than me, so I'm glad Carnival offers this as an option via Early Saver. If I wasn't happy with the price I paid (this is true for any product or service), I simply won't purchase it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Summerville, SC
6,794 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Sorry for your frustration.

I can think of a million good reasons to not be happy with Carnival, but following their own policies would not be one of them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past/Upcoming Cruises:
Song of Norway -1981
Fair Sky -1985
Nordic Prince -1990
Norwegian Sea -2004
Celebration -2005
Norwegian Majesty -2006
Mariner of The Seas - Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star -April 2008
Carnival Glory -November 2008
Celebrity Constellation - April 2009
Carnival Spirit - August 2009
Celebrity Mercury -March 2010
Celebrity Constellation -March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette -March 2012
Freedom of The Seas -April 2013 (two Back-to-Back cruises)
Carnival Fantasy -August 2014
Celebrity Silhouette -March 2015
Carnival Sunshine - May 2016
Carnival Sunshine -November 2016
Carnival Magic - February 2017
Oasis of The Seas - October 2017
MSC Seaside - January 2018
Celebrity Edge - January 2019

818 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
The way I read your post is that you booked a cruise without understanding the fare rules, and it's Carnival's fault. Hm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

08-13-2012 Carnival Triumph
11-03-2013 Carnival Magic
TX
599 Posts
Joined Dec 2010
So, correct me if I'm wrong...you booked a cruise. You DID NOT book Early Saver but you want OBC for the difference on the now "discounted" room category?

It doesn't work that way. You book Early Saver and get that price protection. If you don't book Early Saver, you don't have price protection. Period. Sorry, but Carnival isn't at fault. At least you're cruising out of a port with that chance of a price drop. Galveston never price drops!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ecstasy 8/20/11
Triumph 6/22/13
Dream 8/16/15
17 days at sea and counting
Grand Rapids, MI
150 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I take it you have never bought a car before. Not all things in life are fair. The people that booked Early Saver gave up options you had, they have restrictions as you do. Just because it doesn't work in you favor, does not mean that it is wrong o dishonest.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic 10/16
Carnival Splendor 7/16
Carnival Splendor 3/16
Carnival Liberty 1/16
Carnival Breeze 9/15
Carnival Liberty 6/15
Carnival Breeze 2/15
Carnival Liberty 1/15
Carnival Splendor 11/14
Carnival Legend 7/14
Carnival Breeze 1/14
Carnival Legend 10/13
Carnival Breeze 1/13
Carnival Legend 1/12
Carnival Legend 1/11
Carnival Liberty 10/08
NCL Dreamward 4/99
NCL Windward 4/93

Chicago, IL
2,560 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
You don't say what category room you are in (that I recall), but if a category above yours has dropped in price to what you paid for your category, you can still get the upgrade. You won't get onboard credit but can upgrade. So check out some prices of cabins higher in category than what you have.

Maggie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Escape 11/17
NCL Pearl 8/16
Carnival Breeze 11/14
Carnival Splendor 6/13 (DD2's Graduation!)
Carnival Dream 8/12
Carnival Dream 8/11 (20th Anniversary!)
Carnival Legend 06/10 (DD1's Graduation!)
Carnival Imagination 8/08
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 8/07
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 6/06
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 6/05 (First cruise!)
Chandler, Arizona
535 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
It does suck, but I never book the early saver fares because I feel more comfortable being able to cancel before final payment. It is a bummer because, yes there have been lots of price drops I have missed, but I know going in when I book my fare that, that is a good possibility.

What I don't like is how Carnival treats people differently depending on who you get on the phone. I do believe that they have given people (who have not booked early saver) obc or something else for the price difference and don't give it to others. That's not fair.

But when you book the non early saver you know going in that you are not going to get the price drop difference after final payment, which I'm sure Carnival waits for that date to pass before really dropping fares.

I have in the past been able to get a room upgrade when calling to ask about the fare difference, but I think I just got lucky and was very persisent while being nice.

Maybe try to call back one more time, but don't let it ruin your vacation! Go, have a good time!
Central California
323 Posts
Joined May 2011
You had your chance to book Early Saver, you declined for whatever reason and are now literally paying the price for it. Don't blame Carnival or their reps for the decision you made or their policies.

I'd be upset with Carnival if they bent the rules for you and gave you the onboard credit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<br>
<br>
526 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by zenful6219
I have a cruise for two people in one stateroom scheduled on Carnival Dream for May 18, 2013. Unfortunately, I didn't book Early Saver and for that "privilege" paid a bit more. Now that we're within the cancellation penalty phase, many of my fellow Dreamers are getting price drops and OBCs. Many of them have the same stateroom category. At last count, some people are now effectively paying almost $300 less than I am for the same category! I even did a mock booking and found a room just three doors down the hall from mine that was $430 cheaper.

Although I knew it would probably be a wasted effort, I called Carnival to discuss the issue. Mostly I called because others in my same situation claimed they had received at least a refund of the difference. For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.

After being on the telephone with Carnival for 35 minutes, and the representative trying to accommodate the price reductions, the line disconnected while I was on hold. It was not my phone that disconnected. Rather, it was on their end.

So, I called again, made my way through their voice-recognition/menu system, and after 3-4 minutes got to speak with a different person. I explained everything all over again. While the new representative was very pleasant, she also very pleasantly informed me that there wasn't anything she could for me.

Bottom line, and I shared this with her as well before hanging up, it may be the practice of a cruise line to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category, but that doesn't mean I have to patronize that cruise line. And, it may be that other cruise lines do the same thing. If so, well then maybe they can just cruise without my money.

I am not happy with Carnival. I am within the penalty phase, so will not cancel. But I am 99.9% certain I will never cruise with Carnival again.
My question to you is, why did you not choose early saver? If you did, then you would not have this thread started. Most of the folks that get OBC are the ones who most likely booked Early Saver, or changed before the penalty.
I had always booked what ever rate I felt I could afford, and had always had a wonderful cruise. Then I joined this forum and really understood what all those deals actually were. Now I book early Saver! I have to admit you have to continually check pricing, because it does change quite often, but when you can save, it feels good.

I would put all that anger behind you, and anxiously await all the fun you are going to have on the cruise, then the next time book the early saver rate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12/18/17 Carnival Victory
12/18/16 Carnival Sunshine
10/8/16 Carnival Sunshine
1/3/2016 Carnival Conquest
4/4/2015 Carnival Valor
11/10/14 Carnival Victory
12/19/2013 Carnival Victory
12/16/12 Carnival Sensation #10!!!!!
11/3/12-Carnival Dream
1/2/11-Carnival Legend
2/13/10-Carnival Inspiration
1/3/09-Carnival Glory
2/21/08-Carnival Inspiration
12/17/07-Carnival Miracle
3/01/07-Carnival Sensation
4/29/06-Carnival Triumph
4/01/05- Carnival Fascination
Leesburg, VA
1,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
You say you are 99% sure you will never cruise with Carnival again because of their policies, I get that. Will you cruise on another line? What other lines offer price protection for every customer regardless of how and when they booked and with absolutely no restrictions? I would certainly be interested in checking them out!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

Pittsburgh, PA
10,897 Posts
Joined Jan 2005

I am sorry that you are "not happy with Carnival".

But it really sounds like you wants the benefits ES and whatever rate you chose - the refundable deposit AND the price protection. Sorry...but it just doesn't work that way!

YOU made the choice when you booked not to choose ES which would have given you the price protection. Not sure how now that can be Carnivals fault.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

21 Cruises
Total Days at Sea: 148

Carnival: 113 (with 7 booked)
MSC: 0 (with 14 booked)
NCL:
35 (with 21 booked)

Up Next:
Carnival Pride - September 2017
MSC Seaside - February 2018
NCL Escape - September 2018
NCL Bliss - November 2018
MSC Seaside - February 2019

Completed:
NCL Epic - February 2017 - Platinum!!
Carnival Breeze - September 2016
Carnival Pride - June 2016
NCL Escape - February 2016

Carnival Victory - May 2015
NCL Getaway - February 2015
Carnival Miracle - February 2014
NCL Breakaway - September 2013
Carnival Breeze....again! - August 2013
Carnival Breeze - February 2013
NCL Epic - February 2012
Carnival Magic - December 2011 - Platinum!!
Carnival Miracle - January 2011
Carnival Dream - January 2010
Carnival Spirit - February 2009
Carnival Splendor - November 2008
Carnival Legend - February 2007
Carnival Triumph - February 2006
Carnival Destiny - February 2005
Carnival Glory - February 2004
Carnival Pride - February 2002

Wasilla, AK
834 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
You didn't book that rate for a reason so I wouldn't be upset. I prefer the peace of mind knowing that if I have to cancel I will have less issues. I usually try to get past guest or military rates and I never pay more than what I think the cruise is worth.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stephanie
FUTURE CRUISES:
Celebrity Millennium 6/2/17 Alaska Southern 7 night no kids
NCL Jade 11/6/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night no kids
NCL Sun 11/28/17 Southern Caribbean 10 night with kids

PAST CRUISES:
Celebrity x4
Carnival x11
HAL x1
Louis Cruises x1
RCCL x1
4 hours and 38 minutes from the closest cruise terminal
10,611 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
For some odd reason, Carnival will not give OBC to people in our situation.
That "odd" reason is that you didn't book a qualifying rate. I know you may think you're being penalized, but if Carnival made an exception with you, then they would need to make an exception with everyone else. It would be unfair for those who took a risk by booking Early Saver.

Have you thought about upgrading to a higher category? Although Carnival will not give you a refund or OBC, they'll give you the option of moving to a higher category. I don't book Early Saver EVER, but I have taken advantage of category upgrades on our last two Carnival cruises when the rates dropped after final payment...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

TAPI

PHOTO REVIEWS
Our 10th wedding anniversary cruise aboard: Golden Princess
Legoland and the Bahamas aboard:Enchantment of the Seas
Eastern Caribbean aboard: MSC Divina

SAILED:
1981 Cunard Princess / 1982 Cunard Countess / 1984 The Victoria / 1991 Carla Costa / 1993 Monarch of the Seas / 1994 Tropicale / 1996 Royal Majesty / 1998 Viking Serenade / 1999 Dolphin IV / 2000 OceanBreeze / 2000 Carnival Destiny / 2003 Carnival Fascination / 2004 Empress of the Seas / 2005 Carnival Fascination / 2005 Carnival Liberty / 2006 Carnival Imagination / 2006 Carnival Fascination / 2007 Carnival Sensation / 2007 Holiday / 2008 Carnival Liberty / 2009 Carnival Imagination / 2010 Carnival Fascination / 2011 Allure of the Seas / 2011 Carnival Dream / 2013 Westerdam / 2014 Enchantment of the Seas / 2014 Golden Princess / 2016 MSC Divina

NEXT:
2017 DISNEY FANTASY - Virgin Islands and Castaway Cay / 2018 NORWEGIAN BLISS - Mexican Riviera

Tallahassee , FL
14,471 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
The OP's situation is similar to booking airfare via the airline's website and then winding up seated next to the person who spends half th flight bragging about the great deal on hotwire that got the round trip for 1/3 of the one way fare. Flight Attendent isn't going to give you an extra pillow or blankety or free cocktail to make up the difference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Costa Maya/Mahahual Malecon Beach Clubs and Maps (posts 26-36)

Carnival Inspiration, January 2006
Carnival Sensation, February 2007
Carnival
Carnival Legend, May 2009
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012
Carnival Valor,January, 2016
Carnival,Vista,January,2017
Bradenton, FL
5,308 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
So you knowingly booked a non-Early Saver rate, but want Early Saver perks?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

MSC Seaside - Eastern Caribbean - 6/9/18-6/16/18

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean -3/19/16-3/26/16

Pittsburgh, PA
10,897 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by cardqb
You had your chance to book Early Saver, you declined for whatever reason and are now literally paying the price for it. Don't blame Carnival or their reps for the decision you made or their policies.

I'd be upset with Carnival if they bent the rules for you and gave you the onboard credit

Excellent point!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

21 Cruises
Total Days at Sea: 148

Carnival: 113 (with 7 booked)
MSC: 0 (with 14 booked)
NCL:
35 (with 21 booked)

Up Next:
Carnival Pride - September 2017
MSC Seaside - February 2018
NCL Escape - September 2018
NCL Bliss - November 2018
MSC Seaside - February 2019

Completed:
NCL Epic - February 2017 - Platinum!!
Carnival Breeze - September 2016
Carnival Pride - June 2016
NCL Escape - February 2016

Carnival Victory - May 2015
NCL Getaway - February 2015
Carnival Miracle - February 2014
NCL Breakaway - September 2013
Carnival Breeze....again! - August 2013
Carnival Breeze - February 2013
NCL Epic - February 2012
Carnival Magic - December 2011 - Platinum!!
Carnival Miracle - January 2011
Carnival Dream - January 2010
Carnival Spirit - February 2009
Carnival Splendor - November 2008
Carnival Legend - February 2007
Carnival Triumph - February 2006
Carnival Destiny - February 2005
Carnival Glory - February 2004
Carnival Pride - February 2002

2,939 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
to penalize people like myself by charging them $300 more than someone else for the exact category,
I think you would be hard pressed to find any two sets of people on a cruise or an airplane (and possibly even in a hotel!) who paid the same rate for the exact same product.

If you wanted price protection, you could have booked Early Saver. But then, if you had wanted to cancel, would you have been complaining about how you didn't get your deposit refunded?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Spirit- Mexican Riveria 01/01//08
Carnival Freedom- Eastern Carribean 01/01/11
Carnival Triumph- Progesso/Cozumel 4/14/12
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos 9/28/14
Carnival Magic- Western Carribean 09/20/15
32 miles from Galveston cruise terminal
1,870 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by txponycruiser
So, correct me if I'm wrong...you booked a cruise. You DID NOT book Early Saver but you want OBC for the difference on the now "discounted" room category?

It doesn't work that way. You book Early Saver and get that price protection. If you don't book Early Saver, you don't have price protection. Period. Sorry, but Carnival isn't at fault. At least you're cruising out of a port with that chance of a price drop. Galveston never price drops!
I was lucky last July had $1,369 OBC on the Magic out of Galveston. So it does happen, you just have to check daily for price drops.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
29 Carnival cruises 157 Days

5 more Carnival cruises booked = 39 Days
Need 4 more days to become Diamond!!!

2 Royal Caribbean 14 Days

Loved the 21 day Journey cruise out of Galveston to the Southern Caribbean so much. We booked the next one. A 14 day Journey cruise out of Galveston to Jamacia, Aruba, Curaçao, Columbia South America, Panama Canal & Costa Rica & Cozumel.