Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival Freedom Category 8B or 8C

I have noticed this morning that an 8C Balcony cabin is the same price as the 8B that I have booked now....is it worth even trying to get the upgrade? One of the cabins that is available is only a few cabins down the hall (not sure what makes one 8B & one 8C).....I am on the Empress Deck now and they have 8C's on the Empress Deck and also on the Verandah Deck. Just thought I would ask what people that had changed from one category to another thought.
Carnival Inspiration - July 4, 2009
Carnival Fascination - August 21, 2010
Carnival Fascination - December 5, 2011
Carnival Dream - May 19, 2012
Carnival Fascination - December 3, 2012
Carnival Freedom - May 26, 2013
Carnival Fascination - November 16, 2013
Carnival Sunshine - May 17, 2014
Carnival Paradise - October 13, 2014

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've heard so many different stories, I would call Carnival

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMOM4 View Post
I have noticed this morning that an 8C Balcony cabin is the same price as the 8B that I have booked now....is it worth even trying to get the upgrade? One of the cabins that is available is only a few cabins down the hall (not sure what makes one 8B & one 8C).....I am on the Empress Deck now and they have 8C's on the Empress Deck and also on the Verandah Deck. Just thought I would ask what people that had changed from one category to another thought.
This thread explains the difference between cabin categories:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1590170

The Freedom is a Conquest class ship, so scroll down to Post #15, which details the categories on that class of ship.

Cat. 8B is a balcony on Deck 6 Midship, or Deck 7 Forward or Aft. Cat. 8C is a balcony on Deck 7 Midship, or Deck 8 Forward or Aft. It sounds like you are currently on Deck 7 forward or aft (the Empress Deck is Deck 7). Switching to Cat. 8C will allow you to move to midship on that same deck. It would mean less motion, and you'd be in a more centralized location on the ship, so that would be a good upgrade, unless you prefer a particular location. Cat. 8C would also allow you to move up to Deck 8 (Verandah Dech), but you'd be either Forward or Aft. On that ship, I would not recommend Deck 8 Midship or Aft since you would have the lido deck and/or buffet above you, which could be noisy. Deck 8 Forward is fine, but I don't see much of a point in upgrading.

Hope this post and the thread I linked you to answers your questions.

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

The Freedom is a Conquest class ship, so scroll down to Post #15, which details the categories on that class of ship.

Cat. 8B is a balcony on Deck 6 Midship, or Deck 7 Forward or Aft. Cat. 8C is a balcony on Deck 7 Midship, or Deck 8 Forward or Aft. It sounds like you are currently on Deck 7 forward or aft (the Empress Deck is Deck 7). Switching to Cat. 8C will allow you to move to midship on that same deck. It would mean less motion, and you'd be in a more centralized location on the ship, so that would be a good upgrade, unless you prefer a particular location. Cat. 8C would also allow you to move up to Deck 8 (Verandah Dech), but you'd be either Forward or Aft. On that ship, I would not recommend Deck 8 Midship or Aft since you would have the lido deck and/or buffet above you, which could be noisy. Deck 8 Forward is fine, but I don't see much of a point in upgrading.

Really good explanation

Old March 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

That is a very good explanation! Now I understand how the categories are divided out....I may just stay where I am because there may be a better chance of more price drops on a 8B than on a 8C and since I am paid in full...that would be OBC!
Carnival Inspiration - July 4, 2009
Carnival Fascination - August 21, 2010
Carnival Fascination - December 5, 2011
Carnival Dream - May 19, 2012
Carnival Fascination - December 3, 2012
Carnival Freedom - May 26, 2013
Carnival Fascination - November 16, 2013
Carnival Sunshine - May 17, 2014
Carnival Paradise - October 13, 2014