Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Royal/Regal Obstructed View Balconies on Emerald Deck

Has anyone figured out just how obstructed these views are? I see some say obstructed and some say partially obstructed. Also, some say you can't access the balcony if the bunk is down. From looking at pictures, it appears that the lifeboats are below the balconies, but I'm not sure. Will there be a lifeboat completely blocking the view or is it just sticking out below? Does anyone know? Thanks. BTW, I did try to search the Everything Royal thread and couldn't find the answer if it's there.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruzPrincess View Post
Has anyone figured out just how obstructed these views are? I see some say obstructed and some say partially obstructed. Also, some say you can't access the balcony if the bunk is down. From looking at pictures, it appears that the lifeboats are below the balconies, but I'm not sure. Will there be a lifeboat completely blocking the view or is it just sticking out below? Does anyone know? Thanks. BTW, I did try to search the Everything Royal thread and couldn't find the answer if it's there.
Unfortunately, the current answer is that no one knows. It is certain that the lifeboat davits will extend almost to the bottom of the Dolphin deck.

It also appears that the full width of the lifeboats will extend past the balcony. The only question appears to be where the top of the lifeboat will be in relation to the top of the balcony railing. Most of the lifeboats are smaller tenders, but there are several larger lifeboats that will probably be higher than the others.
Upcoming Cruises: 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Our Anniversary in Venice), 10/14 - Crown Princess - CA Coastal (DSIL's Retirement Cruise), 03/15 - Golden Princess - Valparaiso to LA, 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera
Past Cruises: 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF,
01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina, 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic, 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal, 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal, 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm), 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal, 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers, 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise), 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise), 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera, 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston, 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL, 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan, 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post
Unfortunately, the current answer is that no one knows. It is certain that the lifeboat davits will extend almost to the bottom of the Dolphin deck.

It also appears that the full width of the lifeboats will extend past the balcony. The only question appears to be where the top of the lifeboat will be in relation to the top of the balcony railing. Most of the lifeboats are smaller tenders, but there are several larger lifeboats that will probably be higher than the others.
Thank you for the picture. This really helps me a lot. I can see from this picture that I won't be happy with the cabin I booked. I'll have to pick a new cabin. I booked on the Regal, so I still have options. Thanks so much.

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruzPrincess View Post
Thank you for the picture. This really helps me a lot. I can see from this picture that I won't be happy with the cabin I booked. I'll have to pick a new cabin. I booked on the Regal, so I still have options. Thanks so much.
We are about three months away from getting information from actual passengers. For most Regal itineraries that should give you enough time to make a cabin change.
Upcoming Cruises: 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Our Anniversary in Venice), 10/14 - Crown Princess - CA Coastal (DSIL's Retirement Cruise), 03/15 - Golden Princess - Valparaiso to LA, 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera
01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina, 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic, 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal, 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal, 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm), 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal, 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers, 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise), 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise), 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera, 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston, 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL, 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan, 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Someone should start a thread with peoples submitted photos of the view from specific cabins, like the wonderful link with photos of obstructed view outside cabins on the Princess ships.

For our specific sailing on the Royal, the obstructed view balcony cabins weren't much less than the unobstructed view. At this stage, unless I was sure my view was oK, I would not risk it.

Upcoming: Hal Prinsendam, Amsterdam to Barcelona, Sept. 2014

Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Last edited by sunsetbeachgal; March 16th, 2013 at 07:26 AM.

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IECalCruiser View Post
We are about three months away from getting information from actual passengers. For most Regal itineraries that should give you enough time to make a cabin change.
Agreed. It will be good to see the real thing, but from the construction pictures I can't see how I would be happy there. I know some would, but it appears they just turned the obstructed oceanview cabins into balconies for increased revenue. That's OK, but I wouldn't be happy in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
Someone should start a thread with peoples submitted photos of the view from specific cabins, like the wonderful link with photos of obstructed view outside cabins on the Princess ships.

For our specific sailing on the Royal, the obstructed view balcony cabins weren't much less than the unobstructed view. At this stage, unless I was sure my view was oK, I would not risk it.
I'm with you. This is my first T/A and I want some view. At the price I'm paying it's worth it to pay a bit more for the view. On the Celebrity Solstice class ships the lifeboats are sticking out below the balconies which causes a partial obstruction. I could have lived with that, but from the pictures this will be much more obstructed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

It appears to me that most of the balconies on Emerald Deck only extend out about half as far as the balconies on the other decks. Even the ones that are not obstructed.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by billco View Post
It appears to me that most of the balconies on Emerald Deck only extend out about half as far as the balconies on the other decks. Even the ones that are not obstructed.
My impression is that the Emerald deck balconies extend out the same as the balconies on all the decks above them.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default .... can you See the Sea?

From what I read - it appears that the obstruction is a solid balcony railing as in "you can not see through the balcony railing panel" rather the usual clear-glass see through railings - possibly an obstruction in addition to the life-boat/tender issue. Can that be? Really like the new Deluxe-Balcony Cabin Layout - but IF when sitting on the balcony all you can see is sky - why?

Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can see from the pictures that the railing will not be solid - like the Baja and Caribe balconies on the Sun Class (regardless those were never considered obstructed, nor are the "sheltered" balconies on the QM2, which are sort of similar).

Looking at the davits, it looks like the tenders and rescue craft will be directly in front of these balconies, not just below them. Until we see otherwise, I would avoid.

Coming Up: Queen Mary 2 Aug 18 Hamburg - Southampton
Queen Mary 2 August 20 Southampton to NYC
Royal Princess March 9 2015

Norwegian Windward 12/94 (E. Carib.), Star Princess 9/96 (AK), Regal Princess 11/97 (Classic PC), Sun Princess 5/98 (AK), Grand Princess 11/99 (E. Carib.), Ocean Princess 5/00 (AK), Crown Princess 11/01 (HA), Sun Princess 1/01 (Classic PC), Ocean Princess 3/02 (S. Carib.), Golden Princess 8/02 (Transatlantic), Coral Princess 3/03 (Partial PC), Sun Princess 5/03 (AK), Dawn Princess 12/03 (S. Carib.), Dawn Princess 12/03 (S. Carib.), Grand Princess 5/04 (Baltic Heritage), Sun Princess 12/04 (E. Carib.), Sun Princess 2/05 (S. Carib.), Diamond Princess 3/06 (Aus/NZ), Sun Princess 2/07 (S. Carib), Emerald Princess 3/08 (S. Carib), Ruby Princess 10/09 (Transatlantic), Ruby Princess 2/10 (S. Caribbean), Ruby Princess 11/10 (E. Caribbean), Coral Princess 4/11 (Partial Panama Canal), Queen Mary 2 8/11 (WB Transatlantic Crossing), Emerald Princess 3/12 (S. Caribbean), Royal Princess 2/14 (E. Carib.)

Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, guys,
I finally booked E110 on Royal, it's an obstructed balcony, and my TA said it's only non-glass one, no other obstruction. Is it right?

RCL, 2009-12, Independence, W. CARIBBEAN,
RCL, 2010-03, Adventure, S. CARIBBEAN,
PCL, 2011-07, Coral Princess, ALASKA,
RCL, 2011-12, Allure, W. CARIBBEAN,
PCL, 2013-12, Royal Princess, E. CARIBBEAN,

Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobecool View Post
Hi, guys,
I finally booked E110 on Royal, it's an obstructed balcony, and my TA said it's only non-glass one, no other obstruction. Is it right?
Looking the photos of the finished product, that is correct.

Old March 24th, 2013, 01:17 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafish View Post
From what I read - it appears that the obstruction is a solid balcony railing as in "you can not see through the balcony railing panel" rather the usual clear-glass see through railings - possibly an obstruction in addition to the life-boat/tender issue. Can that be? Really like the new Deluxe-Balcony Cabin Layout - but IF when sitting on the balcony all you can see is sky - why?
If you are speaking of the Emerald Deck cabins, all of them will have a glass panel and not a steel wall with the exception of those five cabins all the way forward. Those behind tenders and lifeboats will have varying degrees of obstruction, and as best as we can determine it will be at least as high as the hand rail. Those between lifeboats and tenders will have the davits to deal with. Here are two pictures that were enlarged from those that were recently released. The decks are abbreviated by a single letter (A=Aloha, D=Dolphin, etc). You can see the glass panels already installed.

Aft: Lifeboat tenders not yet in place to show the 'obstruction'

Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobecool View Post
Hi, guys,
Your cabin and balcony:

Last edited by dmwnc1959; March 24th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Old March 24th, 2013, 01:55 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwnc1959 View Post
If you are speaking of the Emerald Deck cabins, all of them will have a glass panel and not a steel wall with the exception of those five cabins all the way forward. Those behind tenders and lifeboats will have varying degrees of obstruction, and as best as we can determine it will be at least as high as the hand rail. Those between lifeboats and tenders will have the davits to deal with. Here are two pictures that were enlarged from those that were recently released. The decks are abbreviated by a single letter (A=Aloha, D=Dolphin, etc). You can see the glass panels already installed.

Forward

Your cabin and balcony:

So it does appear that these balconies will be about twice as large as all the other balconies on the sides of the ship??

Old March 24th, 2013, 02:23 AM
5,000+ Club

The balcony sizes will vary, but the largest, E109/E110, will be about about 110 sq ft compared with 45 sq ft for a standard balcony and 45 sq ft will be covered.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Forward

Your cabin and balcony:

Where can I find the original photos that were just released?
Allure of the Seas 5/29/2011 Eastern Caribbean
Emerald Princess 10/25/2009 Eastern Caribbean for yet another...Spooky Cruise
Crown Princess 10/26/2008 Spooky Cruise,Too to the Eastern Caribbean
Crown Princess 6/8/2007 New York to the Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/06 Spooky Cruise to Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 12/04 New Year's Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean
Star Princess 8/03 Alaska
Coral Princess 3/03 Panama
Disney's Wonder 12/01 Bahama's
RCC Majesty of the Seas 11/99 Southern Caribbean

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:10 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyv View Post
Where can I find the original photos that were just released?
A link to the pictures was originally posted back on March 18th by Cruise Critic member Captain Rhone on the 'Everything Royal Princess' thread.

Here is where the pictures were posted and a 'large' version of each:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...postcount=1015

The gigantic size versions from Marine Traffic are HERE and HERE.

The bottom two pictures posted above are from the Royal Princess Float Out out album on Princess Cruises Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/princesscruises/sets/

Last edited by dmwnc1959; March 24th, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Old March 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Your cabin and balcony:

Loved seeing these photos as we've booked a guarantee for this category. I'm anxious to see where we are assigned.

Thanks for the great work!

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM
5,000+ Club

I read these posts everyday. I have subscribed to the thread and enjoy all the pics, etc.

I have been really wanting to see where my cabin is and would appreciate it if you could show me.

Cabin C622

We still are on a loooong waitlist for upgrade to balcony cabin mid - to - aft for either a mini or deluxe balcony.

Sorry, I thought I was on the Everything you want to know thread. Would I be better to post there as I am hoping
we are not obstructed.

Royal Princess - Oct. 9th, 2013
Ruby Princes - April 3, 2014
Star Princess - April 29, 2015

Proud Member of the Red Sox & Patriot Nations.

Boston Strong

Last edited by Northender; March 24th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

dmwnc1959 ,

Thank you SO... much for your pics and info. I think it's not a bad choice to choose, E110, is that right? It's my first time to book balcony, I really don't want to be regret.

RCL, 2009-12, Independence, W. CARIBBEAN,
RCL, 2010-03, Adventure, S. CARIBBEAN,
PCL, 2011-07, Coral Princess, ALASKA,
RCL, 2011-12, Allure, W. CARIBBEAN,
PCL, 2013-12, Royal Princess, E. CARIBBEAN,