Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM
sailingmickey sailingmickey is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80
Default Burgundy & Provence from Cote d' Azur to Paris

We are considering the Burgundy & Provence from Cote d’Azur to Paris aboard Avalon Scenery. Has anyone taken this cruise recently? If so, what did you think of the ship and itinerary? Also, on day 9 once we get to Chalon-sur we disembark and I presume are bused to Paris. Day 10 and 11 of the cruise are in Paris; however, there is no indication as to where we stay in Paris.
Thank you for any and all comments.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:43 PM
cbb cbb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 931
Default

We took the reverse Sept '11 (having first done Paris to Normandy) and highly rec'd it. You probably won't know the hotel until nearer the time since Avalon uses a couple of hotels.

Yes, you are bussed to Paris since the Saone River doesn't go into Paris but it's kind of neat to see the countryside. It is a lovely cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:45 PM
sailingmickey sailingmickey is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80
Default

Thank you, it is sort of obvious that we would have to be in a hotel, just wanted to make sure.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmickey View Post
We are considering the Burgundy & Provence from Cote d’Azur to Paris aboard Avalon Scenery. Has anyone taken this cruise recently? If so, what did you think of the ship and itinerary? Also, on day 9 once we get to Chalon-sur we disembark and I presume are bused to Paris. Day 10 and 11 of the cruise are in Paris; however, there is no indication as to where we stay in Paris.
Thank you for any and all comments.
If you book this for next year, you are actually transferred from Chalon-sur-Saone to Paris via train. We are booked for June 2013.

Fran

Last edited by franski; March 19th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM
cbb cbb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 931
Default

wow...going by train would be awesome. I wish that we could have done that in '11. Amazing what a difference ~18 months makes! I. Love. Trains.
I envy y'all. c
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
If you book this for next year, you are actually transferred from Chalon-sur-Saone to Paris via train. We are booked for June 2013.

Fran
Sorry - June 2014.

Fran
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM
sailingmickey sailingmickey is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80
Default

Actually we are planning on next year. But the question remains as to where do we stay once we get to Paris. Do you have any idea? Hope you have a great trip!!!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:21 PM
cbb cbb is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 931
Default

If you're going to do Paris as a DIY, one of the things we do is to look at where the hotel's location is and the nearest metro station. Try Tripadvisor.com for info on great Paris hotels/metro.

Avalon uses a couple of hotels; ask your TA what Avalon has listed. They might have already decided for your cruise. If you can, go a couple of days early; one: it allows you to recover from your flight, two: it allows your luggage to catch up if there is a problem, and three: Paris is fabulous and needs all of the time you can give.

We did go to the Moulin Rouge, which is an extra excursion, but it was a "cultural/historical event" that I wanted to see and I did not have to twist Mr. Wonderful's arm!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Talisker92 Talisker92 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Santa Paula CA
Posts: 2,932
Default

We did that cruise last year with Vantage and loved it. If you will be in Arles, it is worth the cost of a taxi to see the "Carriers de Luminaires" (Careers of Enlightenment) sound and light show inside an old quarry. They were featuring Van Gogh and Gauguin when we saw it. You can Google it to see what will be featured.
The story and pictures of our cruise are on our website.

Last edited by Talisker92; March 20th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmickey View Post
Actually we are planning on next year. But the question remains as to where do we stay once we get to Paris. Do you have any idea? Hope you have a great trip!!!
Not sure where we will stay. We will (most likely) take a look at the hotel Avalon will put us up in for the last 2 nights - and decide if it is worth moving. I am sure they won't be able to confirm until next spring - which leaves us lots of time to plan.

On previous trips, I have stayed close to the Opera (old one, not new one...), not far from the Tuilleries and in the Latin Quarter --> so have many more areas to visit. Close to metro will be a priority.

Fran
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:46 AM
sailingmickey sailingmickey is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 80
Default

Thank you again to everyone who replied. Great to have so much input!!!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
mytravels mytravels is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 53
Default Avalon Cote d' Azur to Paris

We are doing this river cruise with Avalon this June and hope to let you know how it was. The hotel that we are supposed to stay at in Paris is the Pullman Montparnasse. This is a little away from the main tourist sights. So we have decided to extend in Paris a few days at a hotel in the Rue de Cler area. We have been on 2 river cruises previously - one with Avalon and the other with AMA. We enjoyed both of them with the edge to AMA. I hope this information helps you.

mytravels
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytravels View Post
We are doing this river cruise with Avalon this June and hope to let you know how it was. The hotel that we are supposed to stay at in Paris is the Pullman Montparnasse. This is a little away from the main tourist sights. So we have decided to extend in Paris a few days at a hotel in the Rue de Cler area. We have been on 2 river cruises previously - one with Avalon and the other with AMA. We enjoyed both of them with the edge to AMA. I hope this information helps you.

mytravels
Thanks - will be looking for your review.

Fran
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
toger toger is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9
Default Arrival in Paris?

Quick question to those who've done this cruise:

What time, approximately, do we arrive in Paris at the end of the cruise? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the fee (24€) to have our Museum Passes mailed or attempt to grab them when we hit Paris. If we come in after 6pm the tourism office will be closed as will the Musee de la Poste (alternate pick-up site). We're planning to use them first thing the next day.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:16 AM
franski franski is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toger View Post
Quick question to those who've done this cruise:

What time, approximately, do we arrive in Paris at the end of the cruise? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the fee (24€) to have our Museum Passes mailed or attempt to grab them when we hit Paris. If we come in after 6pm the tourism office will be closed as will the Musee de la Poste (alternate pick-up site). We're planning to use them first thing the next day.
I can't answer your question about the arrival time in Paris - but I did want to make an observation about the cost to mail the Museum Passes....

If it costs 24 euros to mail the passes - on top of the cost of the passes themselves - are you really saving anything on the entrance fees??

What about contacting the hotel you will be staying at - and see if the concierge can expedite the passes for you. They might have a way to work with the tourism office to have them waiting when you arrive.

Might be worth asking....

Fran

Last edited by franski; March 31st, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:12 PM
toger toger is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9
Default Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
I can't answer your question about the arrival time in Paris - but I did want to make an observation about the cost to mail the Museum Passes....

If it costs 24 euros to mail the passes - on top of the cost of the passes themselves - are you really saving anything on the entrance fees??

What about contacting the hotel you will be staying at - and see if the concierge can expedite the passes for you. They might have a way to work with the tourism office to have them waiting when you arrive.

Might be worth asking....

Fran
That's something I hadn't considered, Fran! Thanks for the brilliant idea!
__________________
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.