Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Ship Maintenance Schedule

Okay, so we know they are going to do some much needed maintenance on the ships. I am glad about that. Safety first I would however, like to have them make public the schedule for the maintenance on the other ships.
If my week for cruising, is going to be the maintenance week for my ship, I would rather know now, so I can rebook on another ship. I don't have air yet, and am afraid to book it now.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:49 PM
20,000+ Club

I would think that most extensive maintenance takes place during drydocks.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzn buckeye View Post
Okay, so we know they are going to do some much needed maintenance on the ships. I am glad about that. Safety first I would however, like to have them make public the schedule for the maintenance on the other ships.
If my week for cruising, is going to be the maintenance week for my ship, I would rather know now, so I can rebook on another ship. I don't have air yet, and am afraid to book it now.
I actually spoke with CCl a few days ago. They told me (for what that's worth) that they were all scheduled to go in. I asked about the Freedom and they said it was scheduled for November/December time frame. I believe if you call them they may give you that schedule. Worth a try!

Disney Magic 3rd Sailing - 4 Day / Carnival Destiny / Carnival Sensation
Grand Princess - Least Favorite
Carnival Imagination / Carnival Victory / Carnival Pride / Carnival Glory - 4/06 and 4/08
Carnival Legend 4/2009 / RCCL Rhapsody OTS 6/2009/ Carnival Dream 7/2011/ RCL 1/2012 (4get the ship because I hated it) Carnival Freedom 6/2013 (platinum finally)

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:26 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockee4055 View Post
I actually spoke with CCl a few days ago. They told me (for what that's worth) that they were all scheduled to go in. I asked about the Freedom and they said it was scheduled for November/December time frame. I believe if you call them they may give you that schedule. Worth a try!
Thanks! I will give them a call. If Carnival has the schedule, it would be nice if they would make it public.

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I just spoke with Carnival and was told that Freedom is scheduled for nov 30 to dec 12. Nothing yet for Freedom or Victory. I asked them if that was the normal drydock time and they said yes. So I am not confortable believing this. Drydock times for the number of ships they have could go out for quite a while. And I thought they were stepping it up.
I don't do facebook, so if anyone here could check with JH on his page if these maintenance fixes are going to be done during the ships drydock or sooner , it would be appreciated. Please check the drydock schedule, if this is when it is happening and post it here. Thanks to all!

Last edited by cruzn buckeye; March 20th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
All ships are scheduled for drydock times, so they gave you the already scheduled drydock times.

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:28 AM
5,000+ Club

Also, I am thinking they will change the drydock schedules so that those ships already having propulsion issues will get their drydock first. This would include Victory, Legend, and Ecstacy.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are scheduled on the Freedom 12/14/13. Having a "refreshed" ship sounds great, but hopefully they don't run into any problems during the dry dock. Has anyone ever heard of a situation when the ship was not placed back in service as scheduled, following the dry dock?

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I just spoke with Carnival and was told that Freedom is scheduled for nov 30 to dec 12. Nothing yet for Freedom or Victory. I asked them if that was the normal drydock time and they said yes. So I am not confortable believing this. Drydock times for the number of ships they have could go out for quite a while. And I thought they were stepping it up.
I don't do facebook, so if anyone here could check with JH on his page if these maintenance fixes are going to be done during the ships drydock or sooner , it would be appreciated. Please check the drydock schedule, if this is when it is happening and post it here. Thanks to all!
John posted the following on his page:

The cruise line is making significant investments to enhance the level of operating redundancies and the scope of hotel services that can run on emergency power, and further improve each ship’s fire prevention, detection and suppression systems.

And quoted Gerry Cahill on the following:

“I would like to provide continued assurances that all of our vessels have fully effective safety systems, equipment and training in place. Additionally, our ships receive regular inspections from the United States Coast Guard and other regulatory authorities. The changes we are implementing are focused primarily on improvements to better support continued power and hotel services should unexpected issues arise...... Going forward, the review will focus on the balance of our fleet.

So it sounds like the improvements will take place during dry docks for the most part.

Festivale 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008,
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008, Glory 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009, Conquest 9/2009,
Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010, Conquest 9/2010,
Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011, Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012,
Conquest 9/2012, Breeze 1/13/13 & 1/19/13, Conquest 4/2013, Magic 10/2013, Sunshine 2/2014, Magic 8/2014

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuridog View Post
We are scheduled on the Freedom 12/14/13. Having a "refreshed" ship sounds great, but hopefully they don't run into any problems during the dry dock. Has anyone ever heard of a situation when the ship was not placed back in service as scheduled, following the dry dock?
Cost them a bloody fortune if they had to cancel cruise at last minute so everything they plan to do is ready for the ship when it pulls into drydock station.

Have heard that sometimes construction gets started the week before on the last cruise.

For that reason we wouldnt knowingly cruise the last one before drydock.

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone heard any more about the Dream? I'm booked on the Dream in July.

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think some dry dock schedules have changed. I was looking at the Pride and wanting to sail after drydock and was told that is was 2014 when I thought it was 2013.
Carnival Breese Exotic Caribbean 1/2013
Carnival Pride CruisetoNowhere 11/2012
Carnival Spirit Alaska 5/2012
Carnival Pride Bermuda 11/2011
Carnival Triumph Canada 6/2009
HAL Zaandam E. Caribbean 3/2005
Carnival Sensation E. Caribbean 7/1998
Carnival Celebration W. Caribbean 12/1996
SS Lurline Hawaii to LA

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

One of the reasons for the delay with Triumph and Destiny is that the last minute decision to make these improvements (not extra Maintenance to ships systems) necessitates ordering and awaiting delivery of the new parts. For other ships with the parts ordered ahead of time much of the work can be done whilst in port/under way and the rest during already scheduled dry dock time.

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Has anyone heard any more about the Dream? I'm booked on the Dream in July.
Checked with my PVP since I'm on her in July. She said all the ship systems are working. They are only replacing the emergency generator which is a backup to the main system. Also, the Dream will be ready for this weekends departure scheduled for the 23rd.

Carnival Legend (NYC) July 2006
Carnival Spirit (Awesome Alaska!!) July 2009
Carnival Freedom (FLL) July 2010

Carnival Splendor (LGB) July 2011

Old March 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I don't understand why they would book a cruise on ships scheduled for down time. As a Princess cruiser,(my wife is platinum) the ships down time is noted.

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiselvr1 View Post
I don't understand why they would book a cruise on ships scheduled for down time. As a Princess cruiser,(my wife is platinum) the ships down time is noted.
There have been many times that cruises were booked, then drydock was announced and changes had to be made. What I mean is, we are booked on the Victory. She is scheduled for drydock next year. However, she has been having propulsion issues recently. So, for the cruise lines sake as well as the passengers, I would think they would bump up the drydocks on those ships that are already having issues. Before it becomes a bigger problem and they end up canceling more cruises. Just would really like to know ahead of time, instead of right before cruisetime. So many airfares have high change fees.

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_duck View Post
One of the reasons for the delay with Triumph and Destiny is that the last minute decision to make these improvements (not extra Maintenance to ships systems) necessitates ordering and awaiting delivery of the new parts. For other ships with the parts ordered ahead of time much of the work can be done whilst in port/under way and the rest during already scheduled dry dock time.
I understand what you are saying Duck. But since Ecstacy and Victory have already had propulsion issues, I am thnking they may change the drydock time to take care of it.

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:11 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
I understand what you are saying Duck. But since Ecstacy and Victory have already had propulsion issues, I am thnking they may change the drydock time to take care of it.
Not sure that Carnival knows at this point. Perhaps you ought to cruise on another ship that is not having any problems.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfadj View Post
Not sure that Carnival knows at this point. Perhaps you ought to cruise on another ship that is not having any problems.
I was thinking that too... but I am looking at 6 people here, in three cabins. I don't think anyone really wants to change, but then again, I am sure they don't want to be on a ship that gets cancelled. I guess we will just have to wait a bit and see... but I do think they should get a plan, and announce the changes way ahead of time.

Old March 21st, 2013, 06:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I spoke to my Carnival cruise rep and she said the Victory is scheduled for drydock and upgrades for 2013. I saw a thread on here that said it had been pushed back to 2014 & called her immediately to verify. (Part of the reason we booked the Victory was b/c it would have the upgrades.) Anyways, she said they just had a BIG meeting (this was prior to the issues w/the last 2 ships) and were not informed of any changes to the drydock schedule for the Victory.
Schedule:
YEAR*
SHIP NAME
Carnival Destiny
Carnival Legend
Carnival Pride
Carnival Victory
Carnival Elation
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor
Carnival Magic
Carnival Paradise

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blo...-schedule.aspx

This is a link to the schedule someone else posted on here. Of course it could have changed but I would think it would cost a fortune to do that so they would avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Victory 1/6/2014 - Counting down!
Liberty 1/19/2013
Destiny 6/12/2011
Liberty 1/2010
Glory 1/2009
Glory 1/2007
Valor 9/2005

Last edited by joyful34; March 21st, 2013 at 06:16 AM.