Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Is is possible to see Keukenhof and Rijksmuseum on same day?

We are on the Tulips and Windmills cruise on Skadi leaving on April 8, 2013.
An excursion to the Keukenhof Gardens is scheduled for April 16. We also would like to visit the Rijksmuseum, however, it doesn't re-open until April 13 and we will be in Antwerp.

So, is is possible to visit both on the same day (April 16)? The Rijks is open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Does anyone know how long the Keukenhof Garden tour lasts?

If the tulips start to bloom, we will schedule a trip there on April 7, and that would solve the problem, but I guess there's no way to know for sure if they will be in bloom.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Update site on Keukenhof

Here is a link which will give you up-to-date information on Keukenhof on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k6291950-Flower_update_1_Start_of_Spring_2013-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Looks unlikely to be able to view tulips on April 7 but things should improve by April 16.

You should be able to do both in one day.

Old March 24th, 2013, 03:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico

Weather in The Netherlands is extremely colder then normal. It is almost impossible to see blooming tulips outside in the beginning of April, so it will be to visit Keukenhof later that month.

1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam", after that various cruises to different destinations on H.A.L, Celebrity and Orient Lines.

1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Old March 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default We are on the same sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardianne View Post
We are on the Tulips and Windmills cruise on Skadi leaving on April 8, 2013.
An excursion to the Keukenhof Gardens is scheduled for April 16. We also would like to visit the Rijksmuseum, however, it doesn't re-open until April 13 and we will be in Antwerp.

So, is is possible to visit both on the same day (April 16)? The Rijks is open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Does anyone know how long the Keukenhof Garden tour lasts?

If the tulips start to bloom, we will schedule a trip there on April 7, and that would solve the problem, but I guess there's no way to know for sure if they will be in bloom.

Any advice is appreciated.
Hello Dianne!

We are on the same sailing of the Skadi - April 8. I'm hoping if we are lucky (and if it really warms up a bit!) we will have some outdoor tulips by April 16 at Kuekenhof and the surrounding fields. Maybe the earlier varieties...

The info received from Viking says we have the option to remain at Kuekenhof if we want to extend our day there. If we are going to try to see the Rijks it will be after we exit the ship on the 17th.

We arrive on April 6 and are still considering our touring options for pre-and post cruise as we fly back the 19th.

See you on board!
2009: Aug - HAL Amsterdam to Alaska ***** / Nov - HAL Ryndam to Western Caribbean (central America) ****
2010: Feb - Celebrity Century to Key West & Grand Cayman ****1/2 / May - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda ***1/2 / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal *****
2011: Jan - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean ** / Mar - HAL Westerdam to Southern Caribbean ***** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Solstice to Western Mediterranean ***1/2
2012: Jan - HAL Eurodam to Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May - HAL Ryndam to the Fjords & North Cape ****1/2 / Sept/Oct - Celebrity Summit to Canada & Maine **
2013: Jan - HAL Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer **** / April - Viking Skadi "Tulips & Windmills" *** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Constellation to Turkey & Greece ****
2014: Feb - HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May/June - HAL Prinsendam Kiel Canal and Baltics ****
173 cruising days and counting!

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM
5,000+ Club

This is just my opinion, but I really wouldn't try to do Keukenhof and another tour in one day. We were at Keukenhof 5 hrs and still didn't see everything. It is spectacular, and I would have felt cheated if I'd had to leave early to try to squeeze in something else. After all, it is "Tulips and..." I know there are so many wonderful things to see in Amsterdam, it is tempting to want to see them all, and when conflicts of dates limit your options, it makes it frustrating, but don't shortchange yourself on one end by rushing through to get to another. JMO, of course.