Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

Just borded the golden, any alcohol in your luggage is now being removed and destroyed. Its just happened to me. Major arguments going on down on deck 4. The new alcohol policy is now in full force. Be warned.

Just borded the golden, any alcohol in your luggage is now being removed and destroyed. Its just happened to me. Major arguments going on down on deck 4. The new alcohol policy is now in full force. Be warned.

This was in San Pedro?

Mike:)

Sorry. I find this almost impossible to believe. Removing stuff from people's bags, destroying liquor (even though its against policy). That would create way more negative towards Princess and therefore lost revenue than they would ever lose in lost liquor sales. They are way smarter than that.

Just checked our boarding pass and it does state "discarded":

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

Vodka and champagne. Just had the empty vodka bottle delivered to the cbin, it was a collectors type

You had champagne destroyed too? While the vodka was 'understandable' under the new contract (see other postings), the champagne should have been allowed with a corkage fee assessed if it was more than that allowed on initial embarkation. Please clarify. Thanks.

Vodka and champagne. Just had the empty vodka bottle delivered to the cbin, it was a collectors type

Just checked our boarding pass and it does state "discarded":

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine orchampagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkagefee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagnebottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespectiveof where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

So why was the champagne destroyed as stated in the OP's post? :confused:

When it comes to alcoholic beverages, how do the carry-aboard policies of the major cruise lines compare today? (Per USA Today article November 2012)

Carnival Cruise Lines

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: One bottle of wine per person (age 21 and up).

Corkage fee: $10 in the main dining room; $14 in steakhouses.

What you can’t bring onboard: Spirits, beer.

Celebrity Cruises

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: Two bottles of wine per cabin.

Corkage fee: $25

Cunard Line

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: There are no restrictions on alcohol brought onboard, but the number of wine or champagne bottles will be “at the port authorities discretion.”

Corkage fee: $20

What you can’t bring onboard: Nothing specified.

Disney Cruise Line

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: Alcohol is permitted but must be hand-carried in carry-on luggage. Carry-on alcohol may not be consumed in public areas but can be opened at Palo and Remy restaurants (with corkage fee).

Corkage fee: $20

What you can’t bring onboard: Nothing specified.

Holland America Line

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: Wine may be brought onboard but cannot be consumed in any public venues, except for bars and restaurants (with corkage fee).

Corkage fee: $18

What you can’t bring onboard: Spirits (no policy specified for beer).

Norwegian Cruise Line

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: Wine—no limitation specified.

Corkage fee: $15, regardless of whether opened by a crewmember or passenger or not at all.

What you can’t bring onboard: Spirits (no policy specified for beer).

Princess Cruises

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: One bottle of wine per adult.

Corkage fee: $15

Royal Caribbean International

What you can bring onboard at embarkation: Two bottles of wine per cabin

Corkage fee: $25

Oh no! Anyone know HAL's policy on wine?

As of today you can bring all the wine you want on HAL. If you consume in your stateroom there is no,charge but will have the corkage fee if you take to dining etc... I am a big wine drinker and love their policy. You can also get wine in port to bring to your cabin. We are considering princess in the future just for a change and wish they had the same, but not a deal breaker.

Sorry. I find this almost impossible to believe. Removing stuff from people's bags, destroying liquor (even though its against policy). That would create way more negative towards Princess and therefore lost revenue than they would ever lose in lost liquor sales. They are way smarter than that.

WELL BELIEVE IT. its just happened, i dont lie, i wouldnt waste my elite minutes making stuff up. Yellow tag on cabin door telling me where to get our bags back. Told to open bag in front off staff, asked to remove bottles by your self. Placed in large grey bin in front of us. Massive arguments going on. Security brought empty bottle back to cabin about 30 mins later. If you dont believe this please do not comment on this thread because its put a little sour taste on the start to the cruise. My bil is with us in another cabin happened to them too, made a pact not discuss it again. Everyone is a bit wound up

Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

At least the hooch won't go totally wasted . . . the crew will have one GREAT sailaway party! :eek:

I believe antsp (OP). They have been on the board for years and have no reason to make this up. It is not like a new poster posting this.

Because it wasnt in a carry on.

antsp - thanks for taking the time (and using your minutes) to let everyone know your experience. While I don't think any of us should be surprised about the liquor since we have been forewarned for a couple of months now (although it sure would have been nice - and good business practice - if Princess had announced the the policy would be enforced beginning on MM/DD/YY) no where has it been said (or at least I haven't seen it) that the additional bottles of wine/champagne subject to the $15 corkage fee have to be in your carry on. Begs the question of why couldn't you pay for it when they confronted you (or your BIL) after scanning your checked luggage.

Did you notice how they were handling it if you had carried it on? Where folks being shunted off to another area to pay the corkage?

Sorry your cruise is starting off so unpleasantly. May the rest of it be all you hoped for!

It would appear that the newly enforced policy includes the assumption that placing otherwise legal wine and champagne in one's checked bags is an attempt to circumvent the corkage fee. And it appears that there is no second chance to 'fess up and pay the fee.

It would appear that the newly enforced policy includes the assumption that placing otherwise legal wine and champagne in one's checked bags is an attempt to circumvent the corkage fee. And it appears that there is no second chance to 'fess up and pay the fee.

I am curious how they handled the corkage fee collection. I honestly would have expected them to send you to the naughty room to collect your wine / pay your corkage fee if in checked luggage. That is pretty crappy that you dont get a warning ahead of time to keep things in carryon. Sounds like they are turning on Gestapo TSA mode.

Archived