NCL Jade Cruise Review - March 27th - April 6th 2013

kikki21

Hi everyone! :)

Just flown back from Rome today after a 10 night cruise on the Jade in the Med!

I will be writing a review and also posting photos - I have 5 memory cards worth eek! :eek:

Pre cruise: Flew into Rome from our local airport with Ryanair, it's worth booking the extra fee for priority boarding, we did it on the way there but not on the way back.... I would say, just do it! :)

We had a taxi transfer with InLimoRoma from Ciampino Airport for 40 euros, they were waiting for us - we had a delay of an hour.

We stayed at the Town House Fontana Di Trevi for 2 nights pre cruise.

We had a taxi transfer again with InLimo Roma which we shared with Pauline and David from CC and we shared a taxi company back to Rome with them with the same company.

We sailed from Civitavecchia and had a day at sea, followed by Katakolon, Athens, Izmir, about a day and a half (overnight) in Istanbul and then a final stop in Naples before disembarking in Civitavecchia again.

Post Cruise

We stayed in Rome for 2 nights after the cruise at the Residenza Torre Colonna and again taxi transferred to Ciampino with InLimoRoma.

In my write up, I will also review the restaurants we ate in as there were quite a few CC people wanting tips everywhere! :)

Hi everyone! :)

Just flown back from Rome today after a 10 night cruise on the Jade in the Med!

I will be writing a review and also posting photos - I have 5 memory cards worth eek! :eek:

Pre cruise: Flew into Rome from our local airport with Ryanair, it's worth booking the extra fee for priority boarding, we did it on the way there but not on the way back.... I would say, just do it! :)

We had a taxi transfer with InLimoRoma from Ciampino Airport for 40 euros, they were waiting for us - we had a delay of an hour.

We stayed at the Town House Fontana Di Trevi for 2 nights pre cruise.

We had a taxi transfer again with InLimo Roma which we shared with Pauline and David from CC and we shared a taxi company back to Rome with them with the same company.

How did you do with the baggage allowance with Ryanair?

Tiggertastic - we have digital weighing scales so this end we weighed both cases - I had one at 15kg and paid the extra for one at 20kg and they were fine and also weighed the hand luggage..... on the way back both cases were over but the queues at Ciampino were that busy that the check in staff were not bothered at all and I didn't see anyone getting pulled off over luggage so "sigh of relief" we were ok but we had been fully prepared to pay the extra.

Indeed June123! :) Thank you!

It was quite a tense weekend as not only do I hate packing with a passion but we had the worst snow of the winter and Ryainair had cancelled the Rome flights from our airport 2 days running before we were due to fly so I was getting a bit nervous as to whether we would make it out there at all or with a big delay!

As it happens, we were an hour late going out and that was because the plane was late coming in and not the bad weather so phew!!!

glad you managed to get to Rome with all that bad weather just before you left .:)

Hi!

Glad to hear the rest of your trip went well! It was nice meeting you at the M&G and around the ship:)

I got back Sat evening & today was back to work... I still have more than a few things to unpack:eek:...and haven't even begun to look at photos...

But.... I'm already hoping to return on the Jade this summer:)

Lmk if you ever plan on visiting the north of Italy!

- Liana

Hi Liana

It was great meeting you too, hope your mum and daughter had a great cruise too!

I am just downloading my pics - I had 835 pics on my first memory card alone and have got 4 more to do lol! :)

I hope you manage to sweet talk your hubby to get on the Jade in the summer, I wouldn't mind the same trip! :)

Monika and Martin :)

Hi!

Glad to hear the rest of your trip went well! It was nice meeting you at the M&G and around the ship:)

I got back Sat evening & today was back to work... I still have more than a few things to unpack:eek:...and haven't even begun to look at photos...

But.... I'm already hoping to return on the Jade this summer:)

Lmk if you ever plan on visiting the north of Italy!

- Liana

Hi Liana

It was great meeting you too, hope your mum and daughter had a great cruise too!

I am just downloading my pics - I had 835 pics on my first memory card alone and have got 4 more to do lol! :)

I hope you manage to sweet talk your hubby to get on the Jade in the summer, I wouldn't mind the same trip! :)

Monika and Martin :)

Actually... Ex ... So it'll be just me & my daughter :D

Anyway... He didn't like the one cruise we took ... So better for me;)

He he..... I think you need to find a fellow cruise addict like I did! :D

Let's hope you and your daughter manage to get on the Jade again then and I will hope for some good fortune that we can swing it too! :)

Actually... Ex ... So it'll be just me & my daughter :D

Anyway... He didn't like the one cruise we took ... So better for me;)

OMG, do I have a lot of pics to go through! :rolleyes:

Anyway, so we managed to get packed and then we nervously hoped that we would have a clear night on the Sunday before we flew to Rome on Monday morning! As it happened, there was no further snow, the weather warmed up a little, we said bye bye to our 2 cats, Kikki and Kali and the taxi picked us up and we were on our way to the airport and where my holiday usually begins, the duty free area! ;)

This time, I did pick up quite a bit of stuff..... yes I like shopping, cats, food, landscape pics, travel and cruising so that's what you'll get in my review!

So... we left a rather snowy UK behind, they had just finished ploughing the snow off the runway and aprons the day before we flew!

?set=a.10151386189104677.1073741825.591574676&type=3

?set=a.10151386189104677.1073741825.591574676&type=3

It was quite the snowy scene but we soon cleared off over Europe and much better weather!

Edited by kikki21

So happy to hear that your flight was able to take off after all that snow you got. I know you were quite worried for a while. Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip and your review is off to a good start. Can't wait to read the rest and look forward to seeing your photographs. Good luck going through them all and sorting out the best. :eek:

Regards

Cdn in KC

Yes we were pretty relieved.....! :)

It doesn't look like a lot of snow but to the UK that's a lot of snow lol!!!

I am having trouble uploading my pics at the mo... looks like I need to upload them to Photobucket or something similar as it just lets me upload 1 pic at a time as an attachment which is NOT good!

So happy to hear that your flight was able to take off after all that snow you got. I know you were quite worried for a while. Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip and your review is off to a good start. Can't wait to read the rest and look forward to seeing your photographs. Good luck going through them all and sorting out the best. :eek:

Regards

Cdn in KC

c5dc4466-7680-4372-b447-2b0b1ffd3287_zps54138fb9.jpg?t=1365712914

Somewhere over the Alps... all pics taken on a digital camera, quite an old Panasonic Lumix but it has 10MP so was ahead of the times in the day....

Edited by kikki21
Added text

We stayed at the above B&B hotel for 2 nights prior to joining the Jade and the place was literally 50 paces from the Trevi Fountain so very well situated indeed for exploring Rome on foot - we did a lot of walking on this holiday lol! :eek:

It was certainly a very nice place to stay in, the rooms seemed to be all over the place in the building with reception on the 1st floor and our room was on the 4th floor but it was all good and a lift which was needed for our cases!

We basically freshened up and went off to explore Rome!

a7721bf3-4065-49ef-9699-af3c8be186eb_zps3fe844ea.jpg?t=1365715727

As we were very close to the Fountain, we started off there first!

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1233_zpsd89b7852.jpg

We then proceeded to head to Piazza Navona via the Panthenon and The Temple of Hadrian

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1229_zps50e74293.jpg

Edited by kikki21

Although it was drizzling a bit, the weather was still a lot warmer than the UK so we were happy viewing the sights, we stopped at the Piazza Navona for the legendary and hideously expensive Tartufo from the Tre Scalini cafe.... it is that good, actually it's not bad but it's not 9 euros worth good! :eek:

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1235_zpse7d0b739.jpg

The Piazza wasn't that busy due to the weather and we were also staking out places to eat later that evening....Pietro Del Panthenon has been recommended on these boards and on Trip Advisor and we went past and asked when it was open in the evening which was 6pm....we went back to our hotel to freshen up a bit more and get ready for dinner so we were there by 6.30pm, the first ones in, by 7pm, it was about full!

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1249_zpsf932ba98.jpg

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1257_zpsc23515ff.jpg

ROMEANDCRUISEMARCH2013PART1291_zpsc494a5d1.jpg

My cheese stuffed ravioli with ragu sauce was delicious! We shared a mixed bruschettta to start and my fiance had the spaghetti carbonara which was also good but quite dry for his taste... we then went to Giolotti for a gelato!