Photo Tour of the Riviera - March 2013

computerworks

Photo Tour of the Riviera - March 2013

We have just returned from our 10-day Caribbean Hideaways cruise on the Riviera, out of Miami to five great islands.

My wife and I are pretty seasoned cruisers, with 25+ cruises... but never on an upscale line.

As we ran out of options for itineraries on our cruise line of choice (Norwegian), we began to explore other lines.

The Oceania experience seemed to be a very good fit for us. Rather than make our first try on a long or exotic voyage, we chose this trip from Miami to see how close we came to finding a good match for us.

It was a bullseye. We throroughly enjoyed every aspect of the trip and found the Riviera to be nearly the perfect ship in every way.

I will post my Cruise and Port Review on a different thread, but this thread will address my impressions of the Riviera in pictures.

I enjoy taking pictures and sharing them. When we were in the discovery mode, like so many other rookies, I spent hour upon hour crawling over every post on this forum, looking for insight and advice.

I hope by creating this thread, I can pay it forward to some newbie down the road who also wants to see just what is this ship all about.

We certainly are now Oceania fans, booking our Winter trip onboard...and planning our 2014 cruise as well... on Oceania.

So... a walk around the Riviera.

8630711574_d2088bd381_b.jpg

We were in a Concierge Level cabin, midship on Deck 9. We choose the "A" category for the Spa Terrace access and overall location.

The size and layout of the cabin was excellent and worked well for both of us.

8629589359_8a20185842_b.jpg

8630695188_ac049782ce_b.jpg

8630693606_a2f8638279_b.jpg

We found the bath layout and appointments to be wonderful.

8629590689_5fae77e0c3_b.jpg

8629592121_c36c440685_b.jpg

8630696370_eeb75532b5_b.jpg

The Culinary Center was just off the Pool deck, behind Waves Bar

8629610929_fc8b800069_b.jpg

At the other end was Waves Grill. Place your order with the waiter and the food is delevered to your table.

8630717384_a46f1a1d47_b.jpg

8629632723_132fbf9660_b.jpg

Ice Cream and Milkshake Bar was also in high demand, right next to the grill.

8630716760_fc39f73000_b.jpg

The Grand Dining Room.

The pictures do not even do justice to the beauty and grace of this room. Service was impeccable for any of the three meals available here. We had several wonderful dinners... with wine-pairing specials offered each night.

8629616241_27d7027cdf_b.jpg

8629617843_2f16bc1c97_b.jpg

8630722406_decb3e628b_b.jpg

8629616751_a5e968f836_b.jpg

8629614045_35c6df0d27_b.jpg

8629614529_09b4d5d440_b.jpg

Back to the cabin deck...

Here is the Guest Laundry room. This pleased us on first blush, but really the trip wasn't long enough for us to make use of it.

Besides... we are compulsive overpackers. :o

8630693162_74a18ab4fd_b.jpg

8630692808_074d4781af_b.jpg

Down to deck 5 for a look at The Lounge (Theater)

8630689692_dd2d1363e1_b.jpg

8629597743_4b39530be4_b.jpg

Ron, thanks so much for posting this comprehensive photo tour of Riviera. Although I still am more than year away from our cruise, your photos just add to my anticipation.

We loved our Marina cruise, and so look forward to enjoying a similar experience on Riviera.

Beautiful pictures.

We just bought the same camera today as I mentioned in a different post. Would like to ask you regarding the Wi Fi, does it only work with a computor or does it work with an iPad? Thanks.

I saw this posted online for iPad use:

1. From the camera viewer (not the shooting mode), press on the menu button.

2. In the menu, select wifi>view on smartphone>share image (or any of the 2 other options)

3. On the iPad or iPhone, go to settings>network, and select your camera

4. Enter password that is shown on your camera viewer -- you only need to do this once.

5. On the iPad or iPhone, launch "PlayMemories Mobile" (you have to download this app from the app store).

6. The transfer of photos happens automatically.

Computerworks.

Congratulations.

When I first saw this post I entered with some trepidation as nearly all the efforts along these lines have been badly thought through in showing a ship ,and very slack photography , composition ,lighting etc.

As an old Navy Phot who spent a hell of a long time being trained I think these images are really good.

The colour balance , depth of field and natural lighting ,compostion etc are superb. I am really impressed

by how the camera has got detail in the bright areas and also right into the shadows.

I have looked but can not see what the camera model is.( Nikon :confused:) .

Were they touched up at all in an Photo Editor ???

Beautiful pictures.

We just bought the same camera today as I mentioned in a different post. Would like to ask you regarding the Wi Fi, does it only work with a computor or does it work with an iPad? Thanks.

Not Ron but I was on the same cruise. The ship Internet works on Ipads and Smartphones as well. As other people have mentioned, the service is spotty and slow.

Not sure now if that was your question now that I see Rons' answer.

Edited by cruisingxpert
cancel message