Has Anyone Cruised with Carry-on Only?

Chelly

Every time I return from a cruise I say "Next Time I'm Traveling Carry-On Only". But when time comes to cruise again, out comes the luggage AND the carry-on.

Has anyone ever cruised with just a carry-on and a small personal bag?

I'd love to know how to do that.

Thanks,

Chelly

Yes, did it when we took 7 grandkids and didn't want to pay luggage charges for 9 people. It was a 5 day cruise with 3 days in Florida.

It's not my choice but wasn't really that hard, and I had two formal (ok, cocktail) dresses. I mostly did it by wearing my sneakers on the plane, having one pair of casual sandals and one pair of black heels. I cut down a lot on my usual toiletries and 'what if' stuff and took my most packable and versatile clothes.

I didn't even do much hand washing, which I usually do, because we were just too darn busy! It was a great time with the kids, though.

We cruised on Oasis last summer and each took a rolling carryon and a backpack for 7 days, including clothes for formal night. Our motivation was we didn't want to pay to check luggage for our flight. (If I could drive, I would take a big suitcase.) Limiting your shoes helps a lot. Mix and match is a must. I wore my walking shoes instead of packing. My husband folded his suit and packed in his carryon, with the intention of having it pressed onboard. Didn't need to as it didn't wrinkle. I discovered that on sea days I mostly wore a swimsuit and coverup, except at meal times. I'm not the type of person that needs to wear a different outfit for every event/day, so that's one thing that made it easier. I wore the same skirt for both formal nights with different sparkly tops. On smart casual dinner nights, I wore the same black pants with different tops. It's doable with planning.

Every time I return from a cruise I say "Next Time I'm Traveling Carry-On Only". But when time comes to cruise again, out comes the luggage AND the carry-on.

Thanks,

Chelly

Yes all the time. Only pack a 18"carryon and a small tote.

Thanks,

Chelly

Wowwwwwwwwwww !! Is THIS topic even possible when you travel with 99% of the women, in this universe ?? ( Just kidding !! ) I realize MOST women, when they go anywhere LONGER than three days, OUT come the suitcases. Somthing in their DNA, I guess ? :)

Wowwwwwwwwwww !! Is THIS topic even possible when you travel with 99% of the women, in this universe ?? ( Just kidding !! ) I realize MOST women, when they go anywhere LONGER than three days, OUT come the suitcases. Somthing in their DNA, I guess ? :)

Agreed!

We cruised on Oasis last summer and each took a rolling carryon and a backpack for 7 days, including clothes for formal night. Our motivation was we didn't want to pay to check luggage for our flight. (If I could drive, I would take a big suitcase.) Limiting your shoes helps a lot. Mix and match is a must. I wore my walking shoes instead of packing. My husband folded his suit and packed in his carryon, with the intention of having it pressed onboard. Didn't need to as it didn't wrinkle. I discovered that on sea days I mostly wore a swimsuit and coverup, except at meal times. I'm not the type of person that needs to wear a different outfit for every event/day, so that's one thing that made it easier. I wore the same skirt for both formal nights with different sparkly tops. On smart casual dinner nights, I wore the same black pants with different tops. It's doable with planning.

I like your answer. I'm going to try this. Not on upcoming cruise, but for Caribbean. Thanks!

Kudos to those that can...I'll never be one of them.. ;)

I could. I don't want to ;)

I've traveled for work many times only with a backpack and a carry-on. I've been away for ten days and fit all the stuff in those two bags.

I always had a full toiletry bag, two pairs of shoes (plus the ones I'm wearing) and a hair straightener.

If you have three tops and three bottoms, you have nine different outfits. That's it.

Of course, other passengers on a plane carrying several of your sort with rolling carry- on plus back pack ( not no mention one or more "personal items") often wind up having to wedge their single carry- on under the seat in front of them. Sure, it's great to avoid luggage charges, but I feel it is about time for the airlines to enforce the " one carry-on" rule.

Thanks,

Chelly

Leaving tomorrow and tried to do just that.......AND FAILED!

I'll be cruising with a carry-on and a garment bag for 7 days. Oh well, I gave it a shot!

I have the hardest time with toilettries (taking up space).

but in may carryon I can fit

8 or 9 tops, 3 bottoms, 1 cardigan or jacket, 2 prs of shoes, my makeup, socks/undies etc.

in my personal item has my camera, iPod Touch, chargers, a book, wallet, passport etc. If I check my suitcase (direct flight), I'll have an extra top, undies and socks here to.

On the plane i wear a shirt, cardigan, jeans, light jacket and my bulkiest shoes.

lots of options but it does take some planning.

I'm lucky if I can get by with one 26" rolling duffel and 2 carry-ons (one carry-on is my laptop bag). I don't know how I'm going to handle 23 days on a ship next spring; lots of laundry sessions I guess. That or a 2nd duffel.

I am leaving Sunday - I will pack in a carry on & big purse - DH will have have carry on & backpack - we are traveling on an 11 nt TA followed by 30 days in Europe by train - would not want any more luggage that that.

I'm lucky if I can get by with one 26" rolling duffel and 2 carry-ons (one carry-on is my laptop bag). I don't know how I'm going to handle 23 days on a ship next spring; lots of laundry sessions I guess. That or a 2nd duffel.

Sounds like you are not talking about OP's topic: cruising with just A carry-on.

A "26 inch rolling duffel and 2 carry-ons" is not traveling with just A carry-on (even if one is a laptop bag - some of which hold a lot more than just a laptop).

Great if the gate people let you get away with it, although a bit tough on your fellow passengers whose overhead space you expropriate.

I'm all for packing light. I almost always have only one suitcase and NO carryon except my hands-free travel purse. I don't want to have to stuff a carryon under the airline seat and take up my foot room. I find my one suitcase easy to handle and I'm happy to check it and not deal with a bag at all while shlepping through airports. And since I don't pay luggage fees cost isn't an issue. What does matter is that I am NOT going to do laundry on vacation. Or iron clothes I've smashed into ziploc bags. I'm not going to risk ruining a port intensive cruise with a blister because I only have one pair of walking shoes. I read a lot. I want a book. Or two. And a book light for when DH is sleeping. I want a notebook or my laptop for keeping my travel diary. And without even thinking about toiletries I can't imagine how to get even that much into a single carry on bag! I know people do it and I'm amazed. And if you're backpacking across a continent I can understand why. But getting a suitcase onto a cruise ship is a pretty easy feat so I've never seen much need to downsize more than I have already. Maybe I'm just too attached to my stuff :-)

Of course, other passengers on a plane carrying several of your sort with rolling carry- on plus back pack ( not no mention one or more "personal items") often wind up having to wedge their single carry- on under the seat in front of them. Sure, it's great to avoid luggage charges, but I feel it is about time for the airlines to enforce the " one carry-on" rule.

Our rolling carry-ons are easily within the size limits for carrying on and our backpacks are not the huge hiking backpacks. They are small. That's it. No other personal bags, etc. The airlines allow it, so I'm going with it. And, by the way, the backpacks are smaller than a lot of the women's handbags or totes they carry on as a personal item.

Thanks,

Chelly

Many times! It is so liberating to cruise with a carry on!

We have been doing it for about 4 yrs now and it certainly is doable. If you are flying to the port, double check the allowable size of carry on with your airline as it changes depending on what type of airplanes they have. If you don't end up using carry ons this time, pay attention when you are packing to come home to see what you actually used vs what you could have left at home.

Even though we pack light, we always bring a ziplock bag of back up meds just in case. The time I had to spend $12 on Benadryl on board when I had $4 meds at home taught me that one. I take the blister packs of pills out of the packaging to save space and cut out the dosage info and hold them together with an elastic. As well, since we travel with kids, it can be difficult to find children's meds on board. Good luck with the packing.

Archived