Bring your Manners with you/mini review 4/7 magic

bobar

Just got off the Carnival Magic and had a 2yo and 4yo with us and sailed 6 months ago with a cousin in a wheelchair so both cruises gave me a different perspective to what the other 64 I took were like and I d like to share a few things...

1. 2 and 4 yr olds are human too and have every right to have fun and not be sneered at or talked bad about as if the kids on the ship are ruining your cruise.

2. if you are able bodied and only have to go a flight or 2, take the stairs. I cant believe the people who cut in front of mobility impaired and wheel chair people to get in an elevator

3. say excuse me when you are cutting in front of someone or run in to them. better yet don't cut in front of them or run in to them

4. be nicer to the crew members and they will probably be nicer to you(although everyone we dealt with went above and beyond)

5. just because you on on vacation is no excuse for every other word out of your mouth to be an expletive, especially around kids..

I think just being aware of and improving on these simple things will make for many more enjoyable cruises for many more people...thanks for letting me vent

by the way the Magic was an incredible ship. so many wonderful areas on so many levels to hang out and relax. great live music all night in the atrium and ocean plaza. lots of dancing....comedy club was great. steak house and Italian restaurants were great.. got addicted to the indian food and burrito bar at lunch...

didn't think charging $35 a day to use steam room and thelosotherapy pool was worth it so didn't get to enjoy my daily steam ,hopefully they will change that..

like I said the ship was clean ,sleak and really amazing so give her a try if you get the chance..will be happy to answer any questions

So what if for me a vacation means getting to curse a lot and push people around and cut in line? I'm special and entitled to be treated as such... 'Merica &$€@ YEAH!!!

just kidding btw

So what if for me a vacation means getting to curse a lot and push people around and cut in line? I'm special and entitled to be treated as such... 'Merica &$€@ YEAH!!!

just kidding btw

We were in line for customs when returning to US waters (docked in Key West). A lady in line in front of us would NOT shut up about how ridiculous it was that she had to wait in line, "because she's an American".

We were in line for customs when returning to US waters (docked in Key West). A lady in line in front of us would NOT shut up about how ridiculous it was that she had to wait in line, "because she's an American".

WOW! Just wow. She was rocking that badge of entitlement. Takes all kinds, I guess.....:-)

Just got off the Carnival Magic and had a 2yo and 4yo with us and sailed 6 months ago with a cousin in a wheelchair so both cruises gave me a different perspective to what the other 64 I took were like and I d like to share a few things...

1. 2 and 4 yr olds are human too and have every right to have fun and not be sneered at or talked bad about as if the kids on the ship are ruining your cruise.

2. if you are able bodied and only have to go a flight or 2, take the stairs. I cant believe the people who cut in front of mobility impaired and wheel chair people to get in an elevator

3. say excuse me when you are cutting in front of someone or run in to them. better yet don't cut in front of them or run in to them

4. be nicer to the crew members and they will probably be nicer to you(although everyone we dealt with went above and beyond)

5. just because you on on vacation is no excuse for every other word out of your mouth to be an expletive, especially around kids..

I think just being aware of and improving on these simple things will make for many more enjoyable cruises for many more people...thanks for letting me vent

by the way the Magic was an incredible ship. so many wonderful areas on so many levels to hang out and relax. great live music all night in the atrium and ocean plaza. lots of dancing....comedy club was great. steak house and Italian restaurants were great.. got addicted to the indian food and burrito bar at lunch...

didn't think charging $35 a day to use steam room and thelosotherapy pool was worth it so didn't get to enjoy my daily steam ,hopefully they will change that..

like I said the ship was clean ,sleak and really amazing so give her a try if you get the chance..will be happy to answer any questions

Glad you had a great time and the Magic is a fabulous ship - we loved her! It's amazing how rude some folks can be and how they feel completely entitled to act as such just because they're on vacation....well, so are other people - be respectful, please.

PLEASE & THANK YOU go a long way....oh, and a smile :-) more folks should keep that in mind!

1. If your children are running and shrieking like banshees in my presence, they are ruining my cruise. Control 'em or take 'em elsewhere.

2. I don't cut in front of others but I will take an elevator whenever I please. Being in a wheelchair does not make you better than anyone else and you have no idea what kind of physical impairments an apparently able-bodied person might actually have.

just kidding btw

LOL!! Love the 'Merica, btw......

1. If your children are running and shrieking like banshees in my presence, they are ruining my cruise. Control 'em or take 'em elsewhere.

2. I don't cut in front of others but I will take an elevator whenever I please. Being in a wheelchair does not make you better than anyone else and you have no idea what kind of physical impairments an apparently able-bodied person might actually have.

1: Well it depends. There are kids that are running around shrieking and there are kids being kids. I remember my kids being that age and I remember the jerks that wanted an adult only vacation.

2: I agree that everyone should take the elevator when they want but it's the cutting that is insane. I remember on Disney we had our kid in a stroller and people would line up on the side and push in front of us. It was incredible how bad it was. We waited for 4 elevators once.

One of my biggest pet peeves is that people think that just because someone can walk, that they have no issues. While I do agree that people could stand to be more polite with elevators there is no reason that an able bodied person should not take the elevator if they so chose.

I love kids and they should have fun. It's parents who give up all parenting when cruising that annoy me.

Some of the worst behavior I've seen on board came from those in wheelchairs or the people with them.

Just because you've convinced somebody you should have a scooter doesn't mean you and your entire clan

should get to push your way to the front of every line. Wait your turn.

This doesn't mean that ships should should not accommodate those in wheelchairs.

I'm agreeing that manners are in order. As to the wheelchair/scooter, I've been in an elevator and try to accommodate. Many times just because there is a little room they try to get in. I've had my toes run over so many times. Just remember that the people in the elevator that opens can only squish together so much. You may have to wait again, I have a hip problem but you wouldn't know unless you see me try to get up the stairs. Most cruisers I've seen are kind but it works both ways don't expect me to get out so you can get in.

People don't generally sneer at or talk bad about small children, unless they are being disruptive or misbehaving. And it really isn't your place to tell people not to take the elevator. Everyone has the right to use them, not just handicapped people. Now, I agree people should be mindful if a handicapped person needs to use the elevator, but people who have been waiting for one before a handicapped person arrives do have the right to get on first if they so choose. Just because a person is in a wheelchair shouldn't give them "front of the line" access. They should wait their turn like anyone else. If people swearing bothers you, go elsewhere. And really, you can't control the behavior of other people, only your reaction to them.

I have sympathy for the wheelchair issue. My parents have mobility issues. My Dad can't stand for long periods of time and my Mom is legally blind. They were pushed around quite a bit with people trying to go around them to get on an elevator. At peak times, after dinner is an example, they would have to wait quite a bit to get an elevator. I just wish people would be kinder.

People don't generally sneer at or talk bad about small children, unless they are being disruptive or misbehaving. And it really isn't your place to tell people not to take the elevator. Everyone has the right to use them, not just handicapped people. Now, I agree people should be mindful if a handicapped person needs to use the elevator, but people who have been waiting for one before a handicapped person arrives do have the right to get on first if they so choose. Just because a person is in a wheelchair shouldn't give them "front of the line" access. They should wait their turn like anyone else. If people swearing bothers you, go elsewhere. And really, you can't control the behavior of other people, only your reaction to them.

If people swearing bothers you go elsewhere? In lines for food, or tenders, on the beach, in the store, looking at pictures. What happened to a time and place for everything. I curse....but if a person is in public with other people IN PUBLIC, they should know how to speak without sounding like complete trash. Its not just that everyone is entitled....we are also a product of Jerry Springer and Maury with others. Acting and speaking like that is not normal and should never become the norm.

If people swearing bothers you go elsewhere? In lines for food, or tenders, on the beach, in the store, looking at pictures. What happened to a time and place for everything. I curse....but if a person is in public with other people IN PUBLIC, they should know how to speak without sounding like complete trash. Its not just that everyone is entitled....we are also a product of Jerry Springer and Maury with others. Acting and speaking like that is not normal and should never become the norm.

When on a ship with 3000 other people from all over the globe, different nationalities and upbringings, you can't expect that everyone is going to act the way you deem appropriate. You either have to deal with the fact you may see and hear things you don't like or find a different type of vacation.

The decline in common courtesy. It's sad. Because of cancer related spine issues I did for a time need to use a scooter in the grocery stores. Most people were very accommodating, but there was a percentage that seemed to take offense at my very presence, sneers or grimaces, purposely blocking the aisle with their cart on one side while they considered a product on the other to the point where all I could do was back up. Seems there are a few of those on here.

We still hold doors open, make way for those who need a little extra, say please and thank you. Civility and common courtesy just make everything so much more pleasant for all of us.

Can't wait to get on the Magic for my birthday cruise. Every birthday is a gift now.

The decline in common courtesy. It's sad. Because of cancer related spine issues I did for a time need to use a scooter in the grocery stores. Most people were very accommodating, but there was a percentage that seemed to take offense at my very presence, sneers or grimaces, purposely blocking the aisle with their cart on one side while they considered a product on the other to the point where all I could do was back up. Seems there are a few of those on here.

We still hold doors open, make way for those who need a little extra, say please and thank you. Civility and common courtesy just make everything so much more pleasant for all of us.

Can't wait to get on the Magic for my birthday cruise. Every birthday is a gift now.

And again I ask, who are those rude people in this thread? Where did anyone say that common courtesy shouldn't be used?

The OP didn't say people don't have the right to take the elevator. Everyone KNOWS that we all have the right to use the elevator. But having been in the position of having to use a wheelchair for 6 wks, I have more sympathy for people who are in wheelchairs. I give much more leeway to those people. I think the OP was talking about common courtesy (obviously not so common anymore).

As for the children, some parents get on the ship and take a vacation from parenting. I have seen kids get on the elevator, push every button and then get off. That is just mischief. Kids running on the lido deck, trying to see how many people they can knock down. I firmly believe that if you can't teach your child better than that, put the entire family off the ship at the next port. Sorry, keep your little angels under control or get off. You don't have the right to let your child injure other people. On the flip side, I have seen some of the best behaved children on a cruise.

No matter what, I will enjoy my cruise.

Nobody needs to hear two and four year olds screeching in the dining room nor playing tag there. That's just rude parenting. Kids being kids at a kid venue? That's kids.

If I'm around when someone plows past a wheelchaor to get on an elevator, well....that elevator ain't moving until the lout gets outta the chair's way.

Polite goes a long way. Rude gets a beer spilled onto them.

In case you do not know, being in a wheelchair, makes it much more difficult to get to the door way, because a huge amount of people will rush around the chair to get on. I see this over and over again. Until you experience it yourself, you will never know how frustrating it is. As a courtesy, that is lost, especially on Carnival ships, you should always let the disabled and elderly on first and if need be, hold the door for them, and wait for the next one.

As far as kids, they will cry, and fuss. You were just like them. You can't just hide them away for 18 years. They need to get out too.

Great points!! I fully agree with you. I have seen numerous guests in wheelchairs/strollers/electric scooters go full speed through a crowd injuring those in their way. I have also been smashed in an elevator by strollers/wheelchairs even though we all gave them time to board first. As for the "kids being kids" it's a horrible excuse. They do ruin cruises for others who've paid thousands for a nice vacation. My parents didn't take me on a cruise until I was old enough to stay under control/calm.

I have a family member in a wheelchair and am very careful about not "running over" other guests. Sadly most don't care and act like they ALWAYS should be first, no matter what the situation or length of line.

It should be *equal* access, not superior.

In case you do not know, being in a wheelchair, makes it much more difficult to get to the door way, because a huge amount of people will rush around the chair to get on. I see this over and over again. Until you experience it yourself, you will never know how frustrating it is. As a courtesy, that is lost, especially on Carnival ships, you should always let the disabled and elderly on first and if need be, hold the door for them, and wait for the next one.

As far as kids, they will cry, and fuss. You were just like them. You can't just hide them away for 18 years. They need to get out too.

I used a wheelchair on my last cruise. If people were waiting for an elevator before me/longer then me I never expected them to let me go first and they wait for the next one.

Archived