Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International > Countdown to Quantum Class

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Post Bumper cars are for the kids - not you!

I would just like to state what I thought was the obvious, but what seems to be missed by several.

I see many, many, many post's of people saying they don't get the purpose or the appeal of bumper cars on QoS. To me this is similar to saying I don't get the purpose of the kid clubs. Are you kidding me!?

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand how bumper cars don't appeal to adults, especially those without kids. But surely everyone can understand that the target audience of bumper cars are not the single traveler, the retiree's, or couples without kids etc...

I have 3 kids from the age of 9 to 14 and I pretty much got a 'wow' from them when telling them about the cars on-board (among other items like those at SeaPlex).

So my opinion on this is that RCI are targeting families with kids. Their purpose is to appeal to them.

That being said, it still may not appeal to all children and the novelty might wear off after a few rides, but doing some quick polling with some friends and family - it looks like these will be a huge hit with KIDS - not you!

So yes we understand that bumper cars may not appeal to you, just like video games in the kids club might not either. But there is more than one demographic to target. I am sure RCI has done their homework on this.

Not looking to get flamed - just sharing an opinion.

P.S. And for those who are "big" kids and want to indulge - go for it!

DaddyBytes

March 08, 2014 RCI Grandeur of the Seas
January 25, 2014 NCL Epic
May 02, 2013 RCI Explorer of the Seas
March 09, 2012 RCI Explorer of the Seas

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree. As an adult I would love to do bumper cars. However, just like I e skating, I am sure the time will be very limited as for as hours of operation.

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM
10,000+ Club

Some friends of mine and myself intend on making the kids wait in line.

I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it. I always loved bumper cars.

Gina

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabean View Post

I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it. I always loved bumper cars.

Gina
I suspect after a few drinks there will be lots of "big kids" in line!

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:23 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBytes View Post
I suspect after a few drinks there will be lots of "big kids" in line!
No drinking and driving!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

This seventy year old perpetual kid plans to ride in the bumper cars. Little whippersnappers can wait their turn.

Last edited by Gangway Style; April 17th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:32 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBytes View Post
I would just like to state what I thought was the obvious, but what seems to be missed by several.

I see many, many, many post's of people saying they don't get the purpose or the appeal of bumper cars on QoS. To me this is similar to saying I don't get the purpose of the kid clubs. Are you kidding me!?

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand how bumper cars don't appeal to adults, especially those without kids. But surely everyone can understand that the target audience of bumper cars are not the single traveler, the retiree's, or couples without kids etc...

I have 3 kids from the age of 9 to 14 and I pretty much got a 'wow' from them when telling them about the cars on-board (among other items like those at SeaPlex).

So my opinion on this is that RCI are targeting families with kids. Their purpose is to appeal to them.

That being said, it still may not appeal to all children and the novelty might wear off after a few rides, but doing some quick polling with some friends and family - it looks like these will be a huge hit with KIDS - not you!

So yes we understand that bumper cars may not appeal to you, just like video games in the kids club might not either. But there is more than one demographic to target. I am sure RCI has done their homework on this.

Not looking to get flamed - just sharing an opinion.

P.S. And for those who are "big" kids and want to indulge - go for it!

DaddyBytes
I don't think that is a new perspective. It has been pretty obvious since Voyager was built in 1999.

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangway Style View Post
This seventy year old perpetual kid plans to ride in the bumper cars. Little whippersnappers can wait their turn.
Pretty close to you in age and could not agree more.

I don't think RCI get that the Baby Boomers think more like us and yet they don't seem to be targeting us.

Where are all these kids (Klingons) coming from between the US Summer Holidays ?? for these cruises especially the longer ones

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I thought it was a dumb idea for a ship but since it will be there, I'll use it.
You know Gina, I thought the same thing about the carousel. I thought it was a dumb idea for a cruise ship. But that stupid thing turned out to be a lot of fun. I guess it's just different when you are in vacation mode and are more willing to let your hair down and just have fun. That's hard to remember when we are typing away on CC.
Sunward II 11/88, Seaward 8/92, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, RCI Monarch 10/02, RCI Enchantment 10/03, RCI Majesty 5/04, RCI Adventure 10/04, RCI Explorer 10/05, RCI Majesty 5/06, RCI Freedom 9/06, RCI Explorer 5/07, RCI Adventure 10/07, RCI Navigator 2/08, RCI Navigator 8/08 (Med.), RCI Majesty 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, RCI Enchantment 7/09, RCI Radiance 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, RCI Majesty 6/10, RCI Majesty 8/10, RCI Oasis 10/10, RCI Radiance 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, RCI Allure 4/11, Nor. Sky 6/11, RCI Majesty 9/11, Nor. Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, RCI Liberty 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), RCI Majesty 8/12, RCI Oasis 10/12, RCI Majesty 11/12, Nor. Dawn 12/12, RCI Liberty 2/13, RCI Majesty 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), RCI Enchantment 9/13, RCI Allure 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, RCI Liberty 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14, RCI Vision 8/14, Nor. Getaway 2/15

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahound View Post
You know Gina, I thought the same thing about the carousel. I thought it was a dumb idea for a cruise ship. But that stupid thing turned out to be a lot of fun. I guess it's just different when you are in vacation mode and are more willing to let your hair down and just have fun. That's hard to remember when we are typing away on CC.
Good points.

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:03 AM
5,000+ Club

When we were on the Oasis a good while back i asked the crew member who was in charge and was a youngish woman, who used the Carousel the most ? ... the reply was Adults ... so i guess the same will happen with the Bumper cars.

Relax Unwind Be Yourself! =Ruby Princess.

www.sunshimmer.proboards85.com- for those wanting to see Corfu

YOU CAN`T APPRECIATE THE RAINBOW WITHOUT THE RAIN.

d.darby3@ntlworld.com

MSC Orchestra November 2014 Venice to Dubai
MSC Divina November 2013 T.A. Venice to Miami
MSC Opera June 2013 Southampton to Norway
MSC Poesia November 2012 T.A. Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale
Norwegian Jade April / May B2B 2012
Norwegian Jade February 2012
Costa Deliziosa December 2011
Mariner of the seas May 2011
Oasis of the seas October 2010
Queen Victoria May 2010
Ruby Princess November 2009....
Vision of the Seas September 2009
Brilliance of the Seas June 2009
Ruby Princess November 2008 ....

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
No drinking and driving!

Isn't that the purpose of having bumper cars on board?

Upcoming:
October 23, 2014 ~ RCI Vision of the Seas ~ JS ~ 4 Night ~ Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Ft. Lauderdale
Completed:
October 28, 2013 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9032 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami
August 13, 2012 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9032 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami

June 26, 2011 ~ Majestic Elegance Punta Cana ~ 5 Night All inclusive
June 20, 2011 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ JS 1580 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami (Wedding Cruise)
June 24, 2010 ~ By the Beautiful Sea ~ 7 Night ~ Key West
June 8, 2009 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ SOV 9532 ~ 4 Night ~ Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West, Miami
October 13, 2008 ~ RCI Enchantment of the Seas ~ OV 4556 ~ 5 Night ~ Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Belize, Ft. Lauderdale
October 19, 2007 ~ RCI Majesty of the Seas ~ OV 4554 ~ 3 Night ~ Miami, Coco Cay, Bahamas, Miami

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangway Style View Post
I'll be right behind you making them youngins wait!

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think the bumper cars will be enjoyed by the whole family! ...just like the carosel on the Oasis Class and the water slides on other lines. I look forward to riding the bumper cars on Quantum

218 Days at Sea!
-Meridian 8/93
-Century 7/96, 4/97
-Galaxy 4/98
-Mercury 4/99
-Carnival Triumph 2/00
-Carnival Destiny 8/00, 8/01
-Carnival Victory 4/8/01, 8/02
-Carnival Conquest 4/03
-Carnival Legend 8/03
-Voyager of the Seas 8/04, 6/05
-Carnival Valor 1/05
-Navigator of the Seas 12/31/05
-Brilliance of the Seas 6/16/06
-Jewel of the Seas 12/30/06
-Liberty of the Seas 6/9/07
-Carnival Liberty 12/30/07
-Carnival Splendor 12/27/08
-Carnival Pride 3/02, 8/7/09
-Explorer of the Seas 5/22/08, 5/8/10
-Oasis of the Seas 11/5/11, 5/26/12
-Carnival Breeze 12/30/12
-Celebrity Silhouette 9/26/13
-Allure of the Seas 5/11/14

Upcoming:
-Norwegian Breakaway 11/9/14
-Oasis of the Seas 5/2/15
-Anthem of the Seas 11/10/15

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I loved bumper cars when I was a kid and I love Carousels. I don't think you ever outgrow them as adults

+

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think the bumper cars is a novel idea. You've got an arcade and a carousel already, why not bumper cars? Next will be some kind of roller coaster that goes throughout the ship!

I certainly would try it, even though I'm a grown adult but still a kid at heart. Just like when they put mini golf and rollerblading on a ship, it's something that you might not think of doing, but you'll probably want to try if the opportunity presents itself.

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Location: South Florida (previously lived in NYC, Washington DC, Israel, Cuba, Uruguay, & NJ)

i'm approaching 60 next year and i gave the wow factor when i saw bumper cars. not sure my back can handle it, but i'm going to try.

The world is not going to come to you. The sooner you realize this, the more time you'll have to pack. Get out there!

Upcoming Sailings
I have no cruise control; it's like the cruises book themselves
11/6/2014 - Regal Princess - U.S. Inaugural (Inside) Princess virgins
4/6/2015 - Rhapsody - Queensland (JS) BOGOHO precruise to Sydney, Adelaide, McLaren Vale & Barossa wineries, Melbourne and Kangaroo Island
9/18/2015 - Brilliance OTS - 9 night New England/Canada (corner aft) BOGOHO

Upcoming Business land based
October - Mexico[/color]
November - Mexico

Past Cruise History
RCI - Enchantment 2X, Navigator 2X, Mariner; Grandeur, Jewels 2X, Majesty 6X, Allure 2X, Oasis 2X, Radiance, Liberty 6X, Independence, Monarch, Serenade 2x, Legend, Adventure
Celebrity - Reflection, Constellation, Infinity
Carnival - Glory; Destiny; Celebration
Disney - Disney Dream
Other Travel History
North America (includes Central & Caribbean): United States (45 of 50 states plus DC & PR), Canada (5 Provinces), Mexico (21 of 31 states) plus Mexico City, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba (work related), Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Dominica, Belize, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Cayman
South America: Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil
Europe: Germany, France, Finland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Vatacin City, Austria, Greece
Africa: South Africa
Asia: China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Philippines, Korea, VietNam

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:53 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

Gina
I'm going to add two opinions, and this is related to an attitude I picked up on Allure. This is of no interest to me, but it means a little less crowds at whatever I'm interested in. That was key to Allure not feeling crowded to me.

My other thought was, if this fails totally the area can quickly be converted to something else as it is also a basketball court. Maybe this is where Quest will be held on this class of ship. I will eventually sale this ship, but I anticipate it being a year old. I went on Freedom when it was 2 years old and Allure when Oasis was a year old. Works for me. I look forward to hearing from all of you in the first season.
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise
7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route
9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know plenty of adults who love bumper cars. Granted, this may not be the thing for retirees, but I think anyone else will have a blast.

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillOh View Post
I'm going to add two opinions, and this is related to an attitude I picked up on Allure. This is of no interest to me, but it means a little less crowds at whatever I'm interested in. That was key to Allure not feeling crowded to me.

My other thought was, if this fails totally the area can quickly be converted to something else as it is also a basketball court. Maybe this is where Quest will be held on this class of ship. I will eventually sale this ship, but I anticipate it being a year old. I went on Freedom when it was 2 years old and Allure when Oasis was a year old. Works for me. I look forward to hearing from all of you in the first season.
It really could be a while before I go on Quantum, too. I'm finally going on Oasis next month - only because a friend of ours wants us to go for his birthday.

I am a little more interested in Quantum though just because it's not quite as large as Oasis class.

Gina

Last edited by mommabean; April 17th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.