Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old April 27th, 2013, 04:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Century Dry-Dock..Straight from the "horse's mouth"! :)

Just off the Century this AM...and spoke to the Hotel Director at the Captain's Club Cocktail Party 2 nights ago. We asked him directly about if and when the Century would be going into dry-dock and he said "In January '14 for ONE month". We also spoke to the Future Cruise rep and she said she had been told to sell no sailings to Hawaii for the month of Feb. '14.

SO...it looks like it is really going to happen!!! And with a full MONTH (which I'm sure they will need) it should be a major make over!!

This was our 3rd time on Century...and we really love the size and lay-out of the ship. But...it is well past the time of a major "re-hab". I would guess they will be up-dating pretty much everything...what a treat it will be to sail on her when she is all "done up"!!!! LuAnn

Old April 27th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks for the update.

Regarding the current state of the ship, what seemed to be the worst area?

We love the Aqua Spa Cafe, did you have lunch there? Grilled salmon or tuna?

Again thanks for the update.

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old April 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Update!

I was a little nervous when you mentioned that it was going to be in dry dock on Jan 15th. We are booked for a Panama Canal cruise on Jan 5th-20th. I was concerned so I just called Celebrity and asked them if they had heard when it would be going into dry dock and they stated that it was scheduled to go in three days from now. This is great news to hear. I talked to someone named Dalton. But then again you never know if that is the correct info. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he was very helpful and professional. It's nice to know that Celebrity has a wonderful staff working for them.

Last edited by Droop; April 27th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Old April 27th, 2013, 05:23 PM
5,000+ Club

Default It is READY for the dry dock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cruzer View Post
Thanks for the update.

Regarding the current state of the ship, what seemed to be the worst area?

We love the Aqua Spa Cafe, did you have lunch there? Grilled salmon or tuna?

Again thanks for the update.
If you are sailing before the dry dock here is what we saw/observed:

The public areas are showing wear and tear...and a really "outdated" look...but really pretty ok. The main wear and tear was in the cabin...when we first got to the room we thought the carpet had white "spots" on it...when looking closer we discovered that they were wear spots that were holes down to the padding. The "soft" furnishings in the cabin were old, tired, and frayed. (etc. bedspread, towels). The table and chairs on the balcony were all peeling...where the white paint was gone and the metal was showing. TV remote did not work. All "wood-work" was showing wear and tear...

Keep in mine...we still had a great time...and love the lay-out and size of the ship!! But it is more than ready...in fact we booked a T/P for 9/14 from SF to Sydney based on the fact that she will be "fresh" then!!

Please don't be put off by these comments...the staff and officers etc. were great!! Very helpful and kind...and concerned about your enjoyment!!!

When she is "brand new"...it will just be awesome!!! LuAnn

Old April 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
I was a little nervous when you mentioned that it was going to be in dry dock on Jan 15th. We are booked for a Panama Canal cruise on Jan 5th-20th. I was concerned so I just called Celebrity and asked them if they had heard when it would be going into dry dock and they stated that it was scheduled to go in three days from now. This is great news to hear. I talked to someone named Dalton. But then again you never know if that is the correct info. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he was very helpful and professional. It's nice to know that Celebrity has a wonderful staff working for them.
The OP stated that the Century would be going onto dry dock in January 14 but did not give a specific date in January 2014. Could be after your cruise.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Droop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droop View Post
I'm sorry you mis-read my statement...or I didn't type it right!! I said it was going into dry dock in Jan'14...the year of 2014 not Jan 14th. And...bless his heart....Dalton....Century is sitting in SD Harbor right now...ready to do an 8 day cruise up to Vancouver...and then do the Alaska season...sorry ...but Dalton doesn't have a clue!!! LuAnn

Old April 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Goodbye Crystal Room .. hello Spa Staterooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn View Post
Just off the Century this AM...and spoke to the Hotel Director at the Captain's Club Cocktail Party 2 nights ago. We asked him directly about if and when the Century would be going into dry-dock and he said "In January '14 for ONE month". We also spoke to the Future Cruise rep and she said she had been told to sell no sailings to Hawaii for the month of Feb. '14.

LuAnn
we were on the same cruise....
In addition to what you found out when i was talking with Rich the cruise director he informed me that they are actually getting rid of the Crystal Room.. in order to add 100 spa staterooms...

Account Deleted

Old April 27th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 100???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucrazy View Post
In addition to what you found out when i was talking with Rich the cruise director he informed me that they are actually getting rid of the Crystal Room.. in order to add 100 spa staterooms...
100 state rooms? I can't see how that is possible but.... Sad to see that wonderful room go but they do not use it much so I can see why. I do hope they do not add too many rooms or there will be too many extra passengers for some areas of the ship. Looking forward to the news of what they are doing. We want to go on here 9/14 SF to Sydney but will wait for more news. We will be on here Dec. 6th before the changes. I plan to enjoy the Crystal room one last time.

Old April 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucrazy View Post
That does seem highly unlikely, if you go up one deck there are around 52 cabins in the footprint of the Crystal lounge. If they put 100 cabins in there, they'll be really tiny.

Laissez les bons temps rouler Let the good times roll!

Song Of Norway, Tropicale, Costa's Daphne, Regent Sun, Seabreeze, Regent Sun, Horizon, Crown Princess, Regal Princess, Statendam, Monarch Of The Seas, Carnival Spirit, Infinity, Mercury, Mercury, Mercury , Carnival Spirit, Serenade of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Mercury, Mercury, Carnival Elation, Zaandam, Radiance of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Carnival Spirit, Celebrity Century, Zuiderdam, Celebrity Century, Celebrity Century , Carnival Conquest B2B, Celebrity Eclipse April 5th 2014 Southern Caribbean, Legend of the Seas November 3rd, 2014 Quebec to Ft Lauderdale, Celebrity Equinox April 17th Southern Caribbean , October 2015 B2B Carnival Dream from New Orleans; March 26, & April 2nd 2016 B2B Celebrity Reflection
cool:

Old April 28th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZBUDS View Post
That does seem highly unlikely, if you go up one deck there are around 52 cabins in the footprint of the Crystal lounge. If they put 100 cabins in there, they'll be really tiny.
Maybe not 100 cabins, but 50 cabins = 100 passengers

Sorry, maybe you will find some mistakes, but English ist not my native language.

Old April 28th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Don't hold your breath for "brand new". Almost every Celebrity or Royal ship going into drydock since the day the "Solcistisation" programme started has only had some new cabins added in what were public areas and/or additional money generating venues added. Apart from a repaint, new carpets in some public areas, and a de barnacle that's it.

Very little if anything, has been done to existing tired cabins, which on the "M" class and Century are well overdue for a strip out and refit.

Last edited by harz99; April 28th, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Old April 28th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default thank you extremely helpful

Quote:
If you are sailing before the dry dock here is what we saw/observed:

The public areas are showing wear and tear...and a really "outdated" look...but really pretty ok. The main wear and tear was in the cabin...when we first got to the room we thought the carpet had white "spots" on it...when looking closer we discovered that they were wear spots that were holes down to the padding. The "soft" furnishings in the cabin were old, tired, and frayed. (etc. bedspread, towels). The table and chairs on the balcony were all peeling...where the white paint was gone and the metal was showing. TV remote did not work. All "wood-work" was showing wear and tear...

Keep in mine...we still had a great time...and love the lay-out and size of the ship!! But it is more than ready...in fact we booked a T/P for 9/14 from SF to Sydney based on the fact that she will be "fresh" then!!

Please don't be put off by these comments...the staff and officers etc. were great!! Very helpful and kind...and concerned about your enjoyment!!!

This is extremely helpful. It wil set my expectations properly. We book inside cabins which is an indication that we really aren't "into" spending tons of time in the cabin. If we can get some good/ok bedding and towels, we're happy.

What about the Aqua Spa Cafe? How was it? Salmon and/or tuna? Anyone?

Thanks!

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM
10,000+ Club

Just keep in mind that Celebrity's rumor mill including among those "in the know" is terrible and has been for years. During Celebrity's last drydock the big rumor was that it was going to be cut in half and stretched. Keep things in perspective and don't believe anything until you see a press release.

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am not doubting your info OP but this is what's listed on a internet TA for the Century for Jan/Feb 2014.

15 days Jan 5,2014 Fort Lauderdale, FL San Diego, CA Celebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,199
15 days Jan 20,2014San Diego, CA Fort Lauderdale, FLCelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,449
15 days Feb 4,2014Fort Lauderdale, FL Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,599
15 days Feb19,2014Los Angeles, CA Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,399
Celebrity Summit -March/2013
Carnival Glory -July/2013
Celebrity Constellation -March/2014
UpcomingWoo Hoo - First Princess Cruise Booked !
Regal Princess-March/2015:

Old April 28th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL_01 View Post
Maybe not 100 cabins, but 50 cabins = 100 passengers
My apologies... you are correct... yesterday when I posted ..it was near the end of a long day ...

Account Deleted

Last edited by rucrazy; April 28th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:16 AM
5,000+ Club

We are booked on the Century; San Diego, Dec 21st, 2013 to Ft Lauderdale, Jan 5th, 2014. If a January dry-dock is to take place, I would think it would be at the conclusion of our Panama Canal cruise and it would take place in Freeport, Bahamas. So a month long dry-dock would be Jan 6th -- Feb 4th, which would fit the beginning of the Ft Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise.

By the way, we are also scheduled to cruise the Century April, 2014 (California Coastal cruise), so we may get a pre and post dry-dock experience.

What do others' think?

Enjoy!
Kel

Celebrity -- Horizon (‘93), Galaxy (‘97), Zenith (‘98), Constellation (‘02), Century (‘02), Millennium (‘03), Summit (‘04), Mercury (‘05), Galaxy (‘05), Century (‘06), Millennium (‘06) , Constellation (‘08), Constellation (‘08), Solstice (‘09), Solstice (‘10), Eclipse (‘11), Summit (‘11), Millennium (‘11), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('13), Infinity ('13), Infinity ('13), Century ('13), and Century ('14)
Holland America -- Veendam (‘03), Volendam (‘04), Zuiderdam (‘05), Westerdam (‘06), Maasdam (‘07), Maasdam (‘07), Westerdam (‘08), Maasdam (‘09), and the Nieuw Amsterdam (‘11)
Royal Caribbean -- Rhapsody of the Seas (‘01), Voyager of the Seas (‘02), Splendor of the Seas (‘02), Grandeur of the Seas (‘04), Vision of the Seas (‘04), Radiance of the Seas (‘09) and the Allure of the Seas ('12)
NCL -- Starward (‘78), Norwegian Dream (‘95), and the Norweigan Sea (‘01)
Princess -- Star Princess (‘03), Caribbean Princess (‘05), and the Golden Princess ('13)
Azamara -- Journey (‘07) Oceania -- Regatta (‘09) Cunard -- Queen Mary 2 (‘10), and Queen Mary 2 ('13)
Sitmar -- Fairsea (‘82)

(428 days total)

--------------------------------
Future Cruises: Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas (11/2014), Celebrity Eclipse (12/2014), NCL Jewel (03/2015), Celebrity Reflection (6/2015), Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas (6/2015), Celebrity Equinox (12/2015), and Celebrity Silhouette (3/2016).

Old April 28th, 2013, 12:56 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac View Post
We are booked on the Century; San Diego, Dec 21st, 2013 to Ft Lauderdale, Jan 5th, 2014. If a January dry-dock is to take place, I would think it would be at the conclusion of our Panama Canal cruise and it would take place in Freeport, Bahamas. So a month long dry-dock would be Jan 6th -- Feb 4th, which would fit the beginning of the Ft Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise.

By the way, we are also scheduled to cruise the Century April, 2014 (California Coastal cruise), so we may get a pre and post dry-dock experience.

What do others' think?

Enjoy!
Kel
Kel, we're booked on the holiday eastbound Canal cruise, with you. I hope your predictions about ours being the very last cruise before dry-dock is not true. Not only would the ship be in the worst condition ever, but I've heard stories where the crew actually starts tearing things up, and closing areas off to the public, on those cruises.

Old April 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cruzer View Post
This is extremely helpful. It wil set my expectations properly. We book inside cabins which is an indication that we really aren't "into" spending tons of time in the cabin. If we can get some good/ok bedding and towels, we're happy.

What about the Aqua Spa Cafe? How was it? Salmon and/or tuna? Anyone?

Thanks!

No cooked to order items in the Aqua Spa cafe anymore On previous ships/cruises this has been one of our favorite places but we found the offerings on Century very limited.

The maintenance staff is constantly, painting, varnishing and sprucing things up! She will certainly benefit from a dry dock but that wouldn't prevent me from booking another cruise before then. We cruised Hawaii RT and turned around and booked the 5 day coastal when we got home so for us, we very much enjoyed the ship.

Old April 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Default bobnjeff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnjeff View Post
100 state rooms? I can't see how that is possible but.... Sad to see that wonderful room go but they do not use it much so I can see why. I do hope they do not add too many rooms or there will be too many extra passengers for some areas of the ship. Looking forward to the news of what they are doing. We want to go on here 9/14 SF to Sydney but will wait for more news. We will be on here Dec. 6th before the changes. I plan to enjoy the Crystal room one last time.
We booked that cruise while on board!!!! It was not showing on the Celebrity website yesterday afternoon...but we were able to book it on board!!! We booked a Sky Suite...but considering down-grading to a balcony...because of the price difference....

I can't see how they could get 100 cabins out of the Crystal...on this past cruise they used it for the Captain Club AM & PM events and the CC Cocktail event...not sure what else they used it for??? LuAnn

Old April 28th, 2013, 03:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstowe View Post
I am not doubting your info OP but this is what's listed on a internet TA for the Century for Jan/Feb 2014.

15 days Jan 5,2014 Fort Lauderdale, FL San Diego, CA Celebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,199
15 days Jan 20,2014San Diego, CA Fort Lauderdale, FLCelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,449
15 days Feb 4,2014Fort Lauderdale, FL Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,599
15 days Feb19,2014Los Angeles, CA Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,399
I am just "reporting" what the Hotel Manager and the Future Sales person told me 1) Hotel manager....going to drydock for 1 month in January-Feb. and 2) Future sales manager....told not to book anything for Feb '14....

At the beginning of this cruise I asked the Future Sales person (this past Tuesday) if and when Century would be going to dry-dock...she said she didn't know....but by this last Friday...when we met with her again...she told us she was told not to book anything on Century for Feb. '14....I'm just telling you what the people from Celebrity told me!!! I would hope that these people might know more than an Internet T/A...especially since this is "fresh" news. I guess time will tell...just trying to give those interested an update...based on what I was told! LuAnn