Review - Carnival Breeze 4/21/13

Hey, everyone! We returned from the Carnival Breeze on Saturday, and boy did we have fun!! I am going to attempt a quick review for anyone who is interested… We have a lot going on in our family at the moment, so I’m going to try to just hit the highlights. If anyone has questions, please let me know! I always tell myself I'm going to write things down during the cruise - and I never do. I will try and remember as much as I can. I have about 7 loads of laundry to do today... So I'll be doing this in between loading & unloading. Here it goes~

Miami:

We stayed at the Intercontinental on Chopin Plaza. WONDERFUL. I highly recommend it! Great location, beautiful rooms, a fantastic view of the harbor….

image11.jpeg

All the employees we spoke with were friendly and helpful. Hector even walked me around the area to show me the “running trail” that people use while downtown.

I do not remember the exact room number we were in, but it was on the 25th floor. Our view was SO COOL, but our cameras didn’t really capture it the way it was.

image7.jpeg

All the rooms have Keurigs in them, and the kcups are complimentary. I was pleasantly surprised by this; we were in Vegas last year, and they were definitely not complimentary. Or cheap. But hey, we were in VEGAS – how could we complain about ANYTHING? J I digress…..

262325_10151614677066122_1770149550_n.jpg

So. We walked to CVS to pick up a few things. It’s not far at all. Here I am standing on the corner right in front of CVS. You can see the IC behind me.

image10.jpeg

We ate at Bubba Gumps at Bayside Market. The stuffed shrimp were delicious. Two in our group had the regular margaritas and said they were some of the best they had ever tasted. If you are a margarita fan (I am not!) I will suggest, on their behalf, that you try them out. Our server was not good. I feel bad saying that, but man. It was bad. I was a server for years. I know it can be hard. But dang. It was just bad, lol. But ya know…. maybe she was having a rough week personally. Yes, let’s go with that. We’ll be going back there in 4 weeks, and I’ll probably be requesting a different section. Just in case.

image9.jpeg

Had to get a picture here!!!

942731_10151614697361122_18258872_n.jpg

Any other Burn Notice fans out there? Gah, we LOVE that show.

When we woke up the next morning, Mom and I went for a walk through downtown. It was tons of fun! We decided to look for a Publix, so I asked Siri how to get there. We hopped on the Metro Mover (and really – how cool is that thing?? For those of us in Atlanta: It’s like free Marta. No, free *clean* Marta) and we got a little lost. Oops! It was quite a fun adventure though. When we got back to the hotel, I ran through Bayside. It’s a beautiful place to run. DH and I will be staying there again for our next cruise and we’re looking forward to some nice runs for a couple days before we set sail again.

image8.jpeg

Well, we got ready and grabbed a taxi. It was around $15 for the 4 of us to get to the port. The porter took our luggage and attached the “Faster to the Fun” tags.

946609_10151614685321122_144511794_n.jpg

Off we went to board this ship!!

Embarkation:

We got there around 10:00ish and there was no line at all. We went through security, got our S&S cards, and it was around 10:30 when we sat down. I don’t remember exactly, but I believe they started priority boarding around 11:15. We joined the line of priority boarders, took our embarkation photo, and began the walk to the ship.

935077_10151614706501122_17425654_n.jpg

I guess I’ll add my opinion here: Best. Ship. Ever. It really is gorgeous. I may think of something later, but I can’t recall anything that I did not like about the ship itself.

We headed to our rooms to drop off our carry-on items. It was not ready. The bed had been made (ours was set as a King) and the steward came out to greet us and apologize that it wasn’t ready. She told us we could drop our stuff off and we appreciated that. I told her then that we needed twin beds. (I had checked online several times to assure that I had selected “2 twin beds” but it was still set as a king when we arrived.) It was no trouble at all to have them switch it, I just felt really bad that they had done all that work and then had to redo it.

(a picture of our room from later - we were in room 1387 and we LOVED the location)

163530_10151614685026122_487483207_n.jpg

We headed to lido to eat and made our first appearance at Guy’s. Yep, it’s as good as everyone says. I think I ate it 5 times that week. We ate and checked out the Fun Times and headed back to our room at 1:10. I remember looking at my watch when we got there, because our luggage wasn’t there. This surprised me since we had the FTTF tags. I called Guest Service just to make sure (I always have an irrational fear that our luggage will get left sitting on that sidewalk outside the port). The woman I spoke to was EXTREMELY apologetic and in a hurry to find out where our bags were. I assured her it was okay, I was just wanting to make sure nothing was wrong. I don’t know her name, but she was very polite and helpful. (I guess I’ll add this in here: everyone at guest service was friendly and hospitable. Okay, everyone on the whole SHIP was friendly and hospitable!) After 2:00 our luggage arrived and we changed into our swimsuits and cover-ups. Our Meet and Greet was scheduled for 3:00 at the Tides Bar so we hung out around the ship until then.

Meet and Greet:

So. Much. Fun.

601025_10151614712456122_850528793_n.jpg

We had such a great group from this roll call and I’m thankful I had a chance to meet such fun friends on this cruise! The location itself was great. However, there was absolutely no breeze at all (which we all found comical). Of course, we were in Miami - it was hot! But the Tides Bar offers no breeze or air whatsoever. I don’t completely recommend this spot for a M&G, but it did serve it’s purpose well.

Okay so I remember the most details from that 1st day. I guess because we were so excited. The rest of the days all kind of run together, so I’m just going make a list of things to make this a little easier.

Next up ~ Day 2

Day 2: Sea Day

-We hung out on lido most of the morning/afternoon.

-Chairs did not fill up until around 9:30 most days, one day it was 10:00 before we noticed a crowd.

-On the first sea day, a man came and dropped off 4 towels on the 4 chairs next to us and left. He was gone for almost 2 hours. A worker put those little stickers on the towels, but no one ever moved them. He & his (just out of bed) family came back and laid there most of the day. But that was really the only time we saw this happen on the whole cruise. We thought chairs were really easy to find throughout the sailing.

-Carlos from the Blue Iguana was fantastic and we got a mimosa from him most mornings. He was such a nice man!

-The “barefoot guitarist” I believe is what he called himself - was awesome. I LOVED it. Ryan? I think was his first name. Last name McIntyre? I can't remember exactly. Anyway- He played great songs: Some country: Chicken Fried, Cruise (my fav), some Third Eye Blind, Dave Matthews, a little Michael Jackson thrown in.... I know people have many different opinions on music, but I personally LOVED the acoustic guitar on lido. High-five, Carnival.

- Blue Iguana Cantina was my favorite food on the ship. Those tacos? Oh. My. Word. I couldn’t tell you how many times I ate them. I never tried the burrito bar for lunch, I just stuck with those mouth watering tacos. HIGHLY recommended. Again, kudos to Carnival. That was brilliant.

-Dinner was formal night; always a great time. I had 2 lobsters and they were delicious.

-I couldn’t tell you the name of our Maitre’d. He only spoke about 3 times the whole week, and never came by our table. When we booked the cruise, Ken Byrne was onboard, and were really disappointed to see that he had left. He has really spoiled me in the MDR.

Lido on the first morning:

You can see Carlos!

IMG_2124.jpg

Those delicious tacos that I devoured:

IMG_2128.jpg

Formal Night in the Blush Dining Room:

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

** I just remembered something from night one**

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show.

What in the WORLD happened? We saw the "show" and did not go back to a single one during the cruise. I love shows. We are in that theater everytime there's a show. Not this time. I had heard they changed the shows and format.... but dang, you changed it to THAT?! Again, this is my opinion and I know many people have many different tastes, opinions, etc. But, as much as I don't like saying this, that welcome aboard "show" was terrible.

Although during it, I did hear the best news of the week: Thomas Brown was one of the comedians on our cruise. My husband and I have been on a couple cruises with him and he is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. That man has made me laugh so hard I have fallen out of my chair.

So with that said - of course that's where Mom and I went on night 2!!! (We went to all of his shows - he is that good.)

IMG_2156.jpg

Also: from our experience - this was the most crowded place on the whole ship (with the elevators coming in at a close 2nd). We were fortunate to get a seat at all Thomas Brown's shows - but there were probably 100 people or so who were standing in the back with lots of others sitting on the floors, piled on stairs, etc. But I really, really prefer the Punchliner setting rather than the theater setting. I'm glad Carnival has changed that.

Afterward, we hit up the Piano Bar. Ron Pass was the Piano Man - and all I can say is: That man is good. Real good.

We were in the Piano Bar every single night (with the exception of his one night off). Adi and Lyudmyla were the bartenders there and I think they were my favorite Carnival workers of all time. Their personalities and they way they interacted with us and with Ron made the Piano Bar our favorite spot of the week. They are both leaving for vacation within the next few weeks, but if you ever spot them on one of your cruises, be sure to speak with them. They were just fantastic.

IMG_2268cr.jpg

Day 3: Grand Turk

AKA - my favorite

I'm a beach person. Well, I guess I'm just a sun person in general. Stick me outside in the sun in a swimsuit, and I'll be happy no matter what. This port is one of my all time favorites. It's a free beach day, who can argue with that? The women in my group had never been there, so we made a stop at the Margaritaville pool first. Then we headed down the beach to Jack's Shack.

Margaritaville pool:

IMG_8594.jpg

The beach:

IMG_8622.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

Volleyball at Jack's Shack:

IMG_8618.jpg

Jack's Shack was pretty fun. The workers were really nice. I liked the volleyball net, but I couldn't find anyone to play with me!! I made my Mom, Aunt, & Cousin play - but that didn't last long. I kept playing a little just by myself. It's been 10 years since I've played and I miss it. Oh, and we couldn't connect to the free wifi at Jack's - which was the reason we were there. Oh well. We had one of the local beers and we thought it was really yummy.

IMG_8614.jpg

My group walked back to the ship and I just stayed on the beach and soaked up the sun. I played in the ocean and rolled around in the sand for a while. Hey, I'm from Atlanta, we don't have beaches!!

Back on the ship, I hit up the Blue Iguana Cantina. Again.

IMG_8632.jpg

Day 3 - night:

I believe this was the night we went to the Italian Restaurant. It wasn't awful. But I wouldn't pay $12 again.

Some pictures:

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

Okay, these were delicious:

IMG_2170.jpg

They were the only thing that stood out to me during the dinner. I recommend them!

I know, I know. Who orders steak at an Italian restaurnat? But the server highly recommended it, and the 4 of us wanted to order different things. I'm not quite sure why he recommended it. Steak in the MDR is much better.

IMG_2172.jpg

My dessert was okay. Not the best, but it was alright.

IMG_2175.jpg

Moral of the story: We won't be doing that again. My cousin ordered Chicken Parmesan and it was the best thing of the 4 we ordered. Mom & my Aunt both ordered the cannolis. Neither of them liked it. We had a good time together and enjoyed the scenery. The restaurant is absolutely gorgeous.

IMG_8534.jpg

Day 2: Sea Day

-We hung out on lido most of the morning/afternoon.

-Chairs did not fill up until around 9:30 most days, one day it was 10:00 before we noticed a crowd.

-On the first sea day, a man came and dropped off 4 towels on the 4 chairs next to us and left. He was gone for almost 2 hours. A worker put those little stickers on the towels, but no one ever moved them. He & his (just out of bed) family came back and laid there most of the day. But that was really the only time we saw this happen on the whole cruise. We thought chairs were really easy to find throughout the sailing.

-Carlos from the Blue Iguana was fantastic and we got a mimosa from him most mornings. He was such a nice man!

-The “barefoot guitarist” I believe is what he called himself - was awesome. I LOVED it. Ryan? I think was his first name. Last name McIntyre? I can't remember exactly. Anyway- He played great songs: Some country: Chicken Fried, Cruise (my fav), some Third Eye Blind, Dave Matthews, a little Michael Jackson thrown in.... I know people have many different opinions on music, but I personally LOVED the acoustic guitar on lido. High-five, Carnival.

- Blue Iguana Cantina was my favorite food on the ship. Those tacos? Oh. My. Word. I couldn’t tell you how many times I ate them. I never tried the burrito bar for lunch, I just stuck with those mouth watering tacos. HIGHLY recommended. Again, kudos to Carnival. That was brilliant.

-Dinner was formal night; always a great time. I had 2 lobsters and they were delicious.

-I couldn’t tell you the name of our Maitre’d. He only spoke about 3 times the whole week, and never came by our table. When we booked the cruise, Ken Byrne was onboard, and were really disappointed to see that he had left. He has really spoiled me in the MDR.

Lido on the first morning:

You can see Carlos!

IMG_2124.jpg

Those delicious tacos that I devoured:

IMG_2128.jpg

Formal Night in the Blush Dining Room:

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

** I just remembered something from night one**

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show.

What in the WORLD happened? We saw the "show" and did not go back to a single one during the cruise. I love shows. We are in that theater everytime there's a show. Not this time. I had heard they changed the shows and format.... but dang, you changed it to THAT?! Again, this is my opinion and I know many people have many different tastes, opinions, etc. But, as much as I don't like saying this, that welcome aboard "show" was terrible.

Although during it, I did hear the best news of the week: Thomas Brown was one of the comedians on our cruise. My husband and I have been on a couple cruises with him and he is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. That man has made me laugh so hard I have fallen out of my chair.

So with that said - of course that's where Mom and I went on night 2!!! (We went to all of his shows - he is that good.)

IMG_2156.jpg

Also: from our experience - this was the most crowded place on the whole ship (with the elevators coming in at a close 2nd). We were fortunate to get a seat at all Thomas Brown's shows - but there were probably 100 people or so who were standing in the back with lots of others sitting on the floors, piled on stairs, etc. But I really, really prefer the Punchliner setting rather than the theater setting. I'm glad Carnival has changed that.

Afterward, we hit up the Piano Bar. Ron Pass was the Piano Man - and all I can say is: That man is good. Real good.

We were in the Piano Bar every single night (with the exception of his one night off).Adi and Lyudmyla were the bartenders there and I think they were my favorite Carnival workers of all time. Their personalities and they way they interacted with us and with Ron made the Piano Bar our favorite spot of the week. They are both leaving for vacation within the next few weeks, but if you ever spot them on one of your cruises, be sure to speak with them. They were just fantastic.

IMG_2268cr.jpg

Great review!!!! We got off the day you got on......AnyWHOO, Carlos made me my Bloody Mary every single morning. He was AWESOME!!!!!! Wahhhhhhhhhh....I want to go back!!!! lol

Day 4: Jamaica

This was a late port day. We didn't arrive until 11:00. So Mom & I hung out on Serenity Deck from 8:00 til about 11:30. It was deserted and we had fun watching us sail in. We saw about 50 dolphins swim in front of the ship and it was AMAZING. They would swim across in groups of about 10 and jump in sequence.... this was my 11th cruise and I've never seen dolphins before. I was a tad bit excited. Here are some pics from our lazy morning:

DSCF0291cr.jpg

DSCF0309.jpg

We met our group, and wondered off the ship and did just a little shopping. I got a bag of Blue Mountain Coffee and a pack of Curry powder. It was a cute little label and my pastor & his wife love cooking with Curry powder, so I grabbed one for them.

It's a lot prettier there than I expected it to be - though I'm not sure where my expectation actually came from since I've never been there.

IMG_2197.jpg

If you look at the right of this picture: down that main road you can see what looks like 3 little yellowish roof tops ..... those are the stores we walked to. Oh, and it was HOT in Jamaica. I mean it was a scorcher. Which I absolutely loved ~ bring on the Summer weather!!!!

IMG_8641.jpg

Back on the ship, we hit up Guy's. Again.

I never stood in line there. Not once. I heard the line would be terrible, but I never experienced that. I did see a long line on one Sea Day right before it opened. We never went right at noon.

IMG_8643.jpg

....and then hung out at the Beach Pool for the rest of the day. We had SPF 30, 50, and 100 with us. I got fried. Make sure you hit ALL exposed areas, everyone! I tend to casually spray it and miss spots.... oops. I don't recommend it, lol!!

My cousin & I did the ropes course that day. It wasn't what I had imagined! I thought it was super cool though. I was scared at first, but got over it about half way through. I recommend everyone try it! The guys up there, Nate & Nicholas, were nice and gave us a good laugh since we were so scared... and the 8 year olds were running circles around us.

Ah, yes - one other thing about Jamaica:

If you're on deck 1 - don't change clothes with the curtains open.

IMG_8639.jpg

They might not could've see in, but I'm glad I noticed all those people walking by when I did! haha

Next up ~ another Sea Day. Aka - Mom's birthday!!!

When we woke up the next morning, Mom and I went for a walk through downtown. It was tons of fun! We decided to look for a Publix, so I asked Siri how to get there. We hopped on the Metro Mover (and really – how cool is that thing?? For those of us in Atlanta: It’s like free Marta. No, free *clean* Marta) and we got a little lost. Oops! It was quite a fun adventure though. When we got back to the hotel, I ran through Bayside. It’s a beautiful place to run. DH and I will be staying there again for our next cruise and we’re looking forward to some nice runs for a couple days before we set sail again.

Well, we got ready and grabbed a taxi. It was around $15 for the 4 of us to get to the port. The porter took our luggage and attached the “Faster to the Fun” tags.

Off we went to board this ship!!

Embarkation:

We got there around 10:00ish and there was no line at all. We went through security, got our S&S cards, and it was around 10:30 when we sat down. I don’t remember exactly, but I believe they started priority boarding around 11:15. We joined the line of priority boarders, took our embarkation photo, and began the walk to the ship.

I guess I’ll add my opinion here: Best. Ship. Ever. It really is gorgeous. I may think of something later, but I can’t recall anything that I did not like about the ship itself.

We headed to our rooms to drop off our carry-on items. It was not ready. The bed had been made (ours was set as a King) and the steward came out to greet us and apologize that it wasn’t ready. She told us we could drop our stuff off and we appreciated that. I told her then that we needed twin beds. (I had checked online several times to assure that I had selected “2 twin beds” but it was still set as a king when we arrived.) It was no trouble at all to have them switch it, I just felt really bad that they had done all that work and then had to redo it.

(a picture of our room from later - we were in room 1387 and we LOVED the location)

We headed to lido to eat and made our first appearance at Guy’s. Yep, it’s as good as everyone says. I think I ate it 5 times that week. We ate and checked out the Fun Times and headed back to our room at 1:10. I remember looking at my watch when we got there, because our luggage wasn’t there. This surprised me since we had the FTTF tags. I called Guest Service just to make sure (I always have an irrational fear that our luggage will get left sitting on that sidewalk outside the port). The woman I spoke to was EXTREMELY apologetic and in a hurry to find out where our bags were. I assured her it was okay, I was just wanting to make sure nothing was wrong. I don’t know her name, but she was very polite and helpful. (I guess I’ll add this in here: everyone at guest service was friendly and hospitable. Okay, everyone on the whole SHIP was friendly and hospitable!) After 2:00 our luggage arrived and we changed into our swimsuits and cover-ups. Our Meet and Greet was scheduled for 3:00 at the Tides Bar so we hung out around the ship until then.

Meet and Greet:

So. Much. Fun.

We had such a great group from this roll call and I’m thankful I had a chance to meet such fun friends on this cruise! The location itself was great. However, there was absolutely no breeze at all (which we all found comical). Of course, we were in Miami - it was hot! But the Tides Bar offers no breeze or air whatsoever. I don’t completely recommend this spot for a M&G, but it did serve it’s purpose well.

Okay so I remember the most details from that 1st day. I guess because we were so excited. The rest of the days all kind of run together, so I’m just going make a list of things to make this a little easier.

Next up ~ Day 2

Hello fellow Atlantian! I read this post and Marta jumped right out at me. :D

Day 5: Sea Day #2

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

There's really not a lot to talk about here... We hung out on lido all day ~ got in the pool, I did the water slide once... I only did the yellow one. The orange one with the big thing at the bottom - it kinda scared me. I know, I'm too old to be scared of water slides. But I am. I thought I'd wait and try the orange one until my DH is with me on our next cruise. He loves water slides - plus he makes me feel protected. :p ....Yeah that probably sounded cheesy. But I don't care, it's true!!

After dinner, we went to the Piano Bar where Ron helped us celebrate all night long. We did SOCIAL!! after SOCIAL!! for DORIS!! and it was great fun. He sure knows how to make people laugh. There were 8 of us from our roll call there and we had an absolute blast. Lyudmyla brought out a huge birthday cake hat and stuck it on Mom's head. It was quite funny.

She had all kinds of stuff show up in our room throughout the day. Gifts from Daddy, me, even Brent Mitchell our CD.... Who, I might add, was FABULOUS. I have heard bad reviews on here about him, and honestly - it hurts my heart that people are saying those things. He was the nicest, most genuine guy... Did a GREAT job at the deck parties and morning shows ~ he and Brittany were so good together. I can't say enough nice things about him. We were really disappointed that Butch wasn't going to be there, but that disappointment was gone after the 1st day. Brent is awesome.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Day 6: Nassau.

Our last day.

Packing Day.

Ugh.

Our last day ~ we woke up and found out that those sneaky little towel animals took over lido! Can you believe that? They all snuck out during the night and had a little deck party of their own!

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

teehee! It was so stinkin' cute, I just had to take pictures.

So we stopped by the Blue Iguana Cantina for the breakfast burritos. Seriously. Carnival hit the jackpot with that place. I'm obsessed with it. It's delicious and there was NEVER a line. It was kinda crazy how I never stood in line there. Just walked right up every time.

The food is amazing, the salsa bar is PERFECT, and down to every last detail: Carnival nailed it.

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

We got off the ship in Nassau and took a cab to Atlantis. My Aunt & cousin had never been there, so we walked around and experienced it. I feel quite dumb to be honest... I never knew there was a public beach there. For free! I'm probably one of the only people who never knew that. Gosh, we have gone there on cruises so many times and we could have been enjoying a beach! Well, lesson learned - and next time we stop at Nassau, I know where we will be!!

We played in the casino a little bit - we enjoy it a lot. I played the WHAMIE game.. ya know? That old game show that used to come on TV? It was a lot of fun! I played for probably an hour and a half. Put in $20 and left with $14. I figure: I had a ton of fun for $6. (I'm that person in the casino that gets ridiculously excited about winning $1 on a single spin. The security guy was cracking up at me. He was cheering along with me as I spun 2 pennies each time).

We had heard from someone in Starbucks that you could get free wifi in the library. So my Aunt & cousin went to check it out. The person there told them they could get on the computers upstairs for free for 15 minutes. We didn't do it - but in case anyone is interested, you may want to check that out.

Nassau pics:

IMG_2238-1.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

942335_10151615135191122_1594855602_n-1.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

Back on the boat, we hung out at Red Frog on lido for lunch and then relaxed in the pool. Mom went to the spa (she bought the week pass thing) and I went back to the room to pack. Packing is the saddest part about cruising, isn't it??

We finished out the cruise with one more night at the Piano Bar and then the last thing we did was hit up Bonsai Sushi. We went their twice, it was really yummy.

IMG_2272.jpg

How cute is that?! Gah, I could put away some sushi right now.

Well - I know that was a rushed review and kinda choppy... I hope it made sense. I'm sure I forgot all kinds of stuff ~ if you have any questions, just let me know. Hopefully this will help someone out there! Happy sailing!!

I loved your review. Thanks for posting it and your pictures.

I loveddddd your door decorations and the birthday flags in front of the picture/inside the room. Where did you get the decorations? I'm also celebrating my birthday on the Breeze in September and I'm looking for ideas to decorate my door/cabin.

Archived