Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old April 30th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity Vs. Princess

We've sailed on the Disney Wonder and the Dream and liked both, but especially the Dream. We just got back from a cruise to the Caribbean on the Ruby Princess, and we liked that ship, too. So should we try a Celebrity cruise or stick with either Disney or Princess? Just looking for some guidance! I know it's good to stay with one cruise line to get loyalty benefits. Thanks for any help!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have cruised with R.C.C.L., Celebrity, Princess, N.C.L., and Carnival and have found different, wonderful things with each of them. I know that loyalty has perks, but why limit yourself to one or two line...
Try all of them or just pick where you want to go and who will take you there, you will learn so much about the wide world of cruising than you never knew. Remember Cruising Is The Best Vacation On Earth!!! The world is out there for you to grab a hold of. Reach for the stars, you never know what you will find... Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!! C.G.

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
50,000+ Club

I think Celebrity also is quite nice. I would see if you can take one of their newer ships.

Keith

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylie View Post
We've sailed on the Disney Wonder and the Dream and liked both, but especially the Dream. We just got back from a cruise to the Caribbean on the Ruby Princess, and we liked that ship, too. So should we try a Celebrity cruise or stick with either Disney or Princess? Just looking for some guidance! I know it's good to stay with one cruise line to get loyalty benefits. Thanks for any help!

We have also enjoyed many cruise lines, but Celebrity compared to Princess wins IMO! The food is much better- including the buffet, MDR , Blu and the speciality restaurants cannot be beat. I truly recommend the newer ships- solstice class. The Martini Bar and Molecular bar are fun and they make excellent drinks. They also have very limited announcements. Another perk is the adult pool. When we travel on princess, it is so crowded that we pay to enjoy the santuary all week- it is pricey, but you don't have to fight for a chair. Celebrity also offers specials, so you get tips, a cash amount and or unlimited beverage packages which really keep the costs down. Enjoy
Carnival Liberty,Carnival Victory,Carnival Legend, Carnival Glory
Crown Princess, Caribbean Princess (2)Celebrity Eclipse12/ 2012, CelebrityReflection3/23/13,Celebrity Summit 08/04/13, 8/10/12
Celebrity Silouhette 1/5/14, 3/23/14 Celebrity Summit FUTURE CRUISES: 8/10/14 and 8/12/2015- Quantum of the Seas 3/13/15 , 1/4/15-Celebrity Eclipse, 3/19/16 Anthem of the Seas

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM
20,000+ Club

We have done a number of cruises with Princess and will do more, however we are finding Princess is getting a bit stale and the cut backs annoying. We have only done two Celebrity cruises with 2 more coming up....I have to say we are finding Celebrity more to our liking but at the end of the day the two lines are pretty close.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old April 30th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
We have done a number of cruises with Princess and will do more, however we are finding Princess is getting a bit stale and the cut backs annoying. We have only done two Celebrity cruises with 2 more coming up....I have to say we are finding Celebrity more to our liking but at the end of the day the two lines are pretty close.
We will be on the Silhouette Jan 5th 2014, the week before you! On the Allure Jan 12, 2014. I also found that especially on the Caribbean Princess, as they added more staterooms, the public space , including the theatre was is inadequate. I also like(d) Princess, but agree that the budget cuts, perhaps the Carnival Management, has decreased the quality of the cruise experience.
Carnival Liberty,Carnival Victory,Carnival Legend, Carnival Glory
Crown Princess, Caribbean Princess (2)Celebrity Eclipse12/ 2012, CelebrityReflection3/23/13,Celebrity Summit 08/04/13, 8/10/12
Celebrity Silouhette 1/5/14, 3/23/14 Celebrity Summit FUTURE CRUISES: 8/10/14 and 8/12/2015- Quantum of the Seas 3/13/15 , 1/4/15-Celebrity Eclipse, 3/19/16 Anthem of the Seas

Last edited by Cruise a holic; April 30th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

While Princess is our favorite cruise line, we are aways very happy with the Celebrity cruises we take!
For sure ... give Celebrity a try!

LuLu
~~~~

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
You may already know this, but your upcoming cruise is going to be a Boston Red Sox themed event, featuring both fans and players/broadcasters. As a Red Sox fan, that's not necessarily a BAD think in my view, but a lot of people are hesitant about theme cruises.

Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Last edited by printingchick; April 30th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Old April 30th, 2013, 02:57 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by printingchick View Post
You may already know this, but your upcoming cruise is going to be a Boston Red Sox themed event, featuring both fans and players/broadcasters. As a Red Sox fan, that's not necessarily a BAD think in my view, but a lot of people are hesitant about theme cruises.

Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014
Yes, thank you I am aware of this and are thinking of what we may want to do.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I vote for Celebrity

Quote:
So should we try a Celebrity cruise or stick with either Disney or Princess? Just looking for some guidance! I know it's good to stay with one cruise line to get loyalty benefits. Thanks for any help!
I've been on 14 cruises including some ships no longer sailing. And, I've never been on a bad ship...there's always something to like. My absolute favorite is Celebrity. I think the level of service is superior to all others on which I've sailed. I still have some lines to go and don't believe in 'brand loyalty' til I've tried them all. And, maybe, not even then if a particular itinerary strikes my fancy. I will say that it is obvious that Carnival has made cutbacks which impact the guests. And, I know this because I've been on a Carnival run of late due to other cruisers in my group. And, well, Princess belongs to the Carnival group, though I've not been aboard Princess in about 3 years and it was very enjoyable. It's not BIG things but there is a difference from several years ago -- dirty tables in the Lido area, less waiters, over-worked waiters with not-very-proficient help, stewards with too many cabins assigned, etc. Is it still worth doing? Absolutely! But Celebrity is a better product and - if you are canny - you can get just as good a deal! Happy cruising whichever decision you make. I'm planning on a Norwegian - THAT should be interesting - and then a HAL for my next outings. However, I've heard negative rumblings about HAL slipping in service and food, too -- yet another Carnival holding. And, well, Carnival's Costa ships will never be an option for me - not with captains like Schettino!

Nancy and Ryan * August 16th * Montreal,
Quebec Canada

The fascination began in 1989:
1989 - Queen of Bermuda - Cruise to No Where; 1990 - Canada Star - Western Caribbean; 1992 - Celebrity Meridian - Bermuda; 1999 - M/V Island Holiday - Bahamas; 2002 - Carnival Holiday - Southern Caribbean; 2003 - Carnival Fascination - Western Caribbean; 2008 - Carnival Holiday - Mexico; 2009 - Carnival Victory - Southeastern Caribbean; 2009 - Caribbean Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean; 2010 - Celebrity Millennium - Southern Caribbean; 2011 - Carnival Glory - Bahamas; 2012 - Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean; 2012 - Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean; 2012 - Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean; 2013 (May) - Carnival Glory - Bahamas; 2013 (Oct) - Carnival Glory - Bahamas

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Keep trying other cruise lines. That way you'll get to experience each brand for yourself. You'll find the one or two lines that are a perfect fit for you. We've cruised Costa, Princess, NCL, Celebrity and RCI. Our favorite is RCI with Celebrity as a close second.

Old April 30th, 2013, 09:36 PM
5,000+ Club

Do you always drive a Ford ? Give X a try !
Royal 3

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default The Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Golfer View Post
We have cruised with R.C.C.L., Celebrity, Princess, N.C.L., and Carnival and have found different, wonderful things with each of them. I know that loyalty has perks, but why limit yourself to one or two line...
Try all of them or just pick where you want to go and who will take you there, you will learn so much about the wide world of cruising than you never knew. Remember Cruising Is The Best Vacation On Earth!!! The world is out there for you to grab a hold of. Reach for the stars, you never know what you will find... Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!! C.G.
This!!

We've been on RCI and Carnival but this fall, we'll be on Celebrity! To me, each line is a different adventure and we always look forward to something new about cruising. Our reason for choosing Celebrity? The Aqua Class and Blu. We were sold on them!
Norwegian Getaway, May 2014 - Eastern Caribbean

Old May 1st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Princess and Celebrity are my favorites. Princess does a great job with the big screen tv. Late night movies, football games and many other things. Celebrity has great service and even better food. Either way you will be a winner. Have a great cruise.
Royal Caribbean: Sovereign of the Seas -August 2006
Carnival: Glory -November 2007
Princess: Caribbean -January 2008
Princess: Ruby -November 2009
Princess: Crown -January 2 2010
Princess: Crown - November 27 2010
Royal Caribbean: Navigator of the Seas - December 10 2011

Booked:
Carnival: Freedom September 8 2012

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

If traveling with kids, I'd go Princess over Celebrity. If traveling with just adults, I'd probably go Celebrity.

RCCL Navigator of the Seas -- 03/30/13
Dawn Princess -- 10/24/04
Celebrity Horizon -- Jan 2003
HAL Nieuw Amsterdaam -- Jan 1987
Carnival Festival -- April 1982