Vote: Which is your favorite river cruise line?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:51 PM.
Poll: My favorite river cruise line is....
Poll Results
My favorite river cruise line is....

Avalon Waterways
6.87%

Scenic
1.41%

Viking River
36.16%

Tauck
4.44%

AMAWaterways
29.29%

American Cruise Line (Queen of the Mississippi)
0.20%

Uniworld
10.91%

Grand Circle
3.43%

American Queen Steamboat
0.40%

A-ROSA
0%

Don't know yet; I'm a river cruise virgin.
8.48%

Multiple Choice Poll.

Voters: 495.  You may not vote on this poll.

New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Hi. Tell us, in our poll, which is your favorite river cruise line (you can vote for more than one). Feel like telling us why? Please share below. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Santa Paula CA
3,415 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Ours is Vantage, but there was not a place for them in your poll
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It serves no purpose to list all the cruises I have been on chronologically. Many of the lines or ships do not exist any more, or have been renamed. I have sailed on NCL,Bermuda Star, Regency, Royal, Silverseas, Mississippi Queen, Vantage, Marco Polo, Scottish Highlander, Princess, Victoria, Hebridean Princess, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Rembrandt, and Lev Tolstoy.
Astoria Oregon US
32 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Uniworld is top in its class, and our favorite. Doing the Grand France in June.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
06-06-2008 River Duchess

Vancouver Island, Canada
639 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
I have my 4th cruise booked with Viking. They have everything I want in a river cruise so I don't see any need to try another line.
Delaware
292 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Most of the lines do a good job of taking care of their passengers when things are going well, the difference is when things are not so good!

I can tell you that when we took a cruise from BUD to AMS a couple of years ago there were low water level issues.

I saw on these boards where some river cruise lines cancelled the trips mid-way and, according to posts by some passengers on some of the well known lines, they were left without any effort to help them get to the destinations, etc. They were left to scramble using their own devices!

Some of the cruise lines did finish the cruises but were relegated to them turning in to "bus trips"

We were on the Tauck cruise during the very same time and, without going into all of the details, the cruise was completed as a river cruise and we were very, very happy with how they handled the "crisis". The pax on board were very pleased as well.

In my opinion, that is why one would choose to go with a company that makes a commitment to superior customer service...and fulfills that commitment to the best of their ability!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Encinitas, CA
627 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We cruised Uniworld when it was combined with Avalon 10 years ago. It was great for us because the demographics were younger. WE were still the youngest on the ship, but the other passengers were all very active and it made the shore excursions sooooo much better!

Marti
Encinitasgal
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2,495 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Although we have never cruised with Tauck, I agree how a line handles problems, both from nature and the mechanical ones show how a line really cares about the customer. Feel this poll will bring out the cheerleaders in full force. Pat
Miami, FL
903 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I will be going on my third river cruise with AMA Waterways (Istanbul to Vienna) in about a month, and I have already booked a Tulip Time cruise for next year with them. My previous cruises had been excellent in every way, and I see no reason to cruise with another line right now.

Their loyalty program for past passengers is also very good, which is a good incentive to sail with them.

Sergio
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Hi, Pacmom. We like to check in every now and again to see what our readers like -- cheerleaders or no. But: That's why the comments portion of this forum really matters because travelers can explain why they prefer a certain line.

I am totally in agreement that it's when a cruise faces challenges that lines have the best opportunity to show their stuff. All too often they don't rise to the occasion. But when any kind of company does take great good care during a less than ideal scenario, well, they own my loyalty moving forward.

Carolyn

Originally posted by pacmom
Although we have never cruised with Tauck, I agree how a line handles problems, both from nature and the mechanical ones show how a line really cares about the customer. Feel this poll will bring out the cheerleaders in full force. Pat
2 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We have traveled 10 times on Uniworld and, obviously, much prefer them over all the other river cruise companies that we have traveled on. Their service and attention to detail is far superior to what we have experienced on other companies....
2,495 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Carolyn, thanks for taking the time to read these posts. We experienced first hand excellent proaction from AMA during the "winter of low water" in 2012. The only boats the weeks we sailed that made the entine trip were older AMA boats. We were warned in advance that there would be a slight chance and it was just that. While underway, we lost a thruster--informed promptly and part driven from Rotterdam to Regensberg and fixed with a loss of 3 hours sailing. AMA and Uniworld rank neck and neck at the top of our list for customer satisfaction, attention to detail and crew. We are running out of rivers and DH is not one to repeat trips. This June we sail with Road Scholar on the Gironde--getting there before many others. Thisis the most pleasant of all the boards I have read---chherleaders and all. Pat
south burlington,vt.
3,929 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
We have sailed Tauck for the fact that you can get more than two to a cabin and kids are onboard. We would try another but our family is three so calling around no other major lines handle that configuration.
San Francisco, CA
1,083 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
We sailed AmaCello on a Rhine cruise a couple of weeks ago and I cannot imagine a better line. We were satisfied with all aspects of the experience and the service and quality exceeded our expectations.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
.Mark Katzenberger

Upcoming Queen Mary 2 - RT N Atlantic crossing - 2018
Queen Mary 2 - RT crossing + Bruges - 2017, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2016, Celebrity Infinity - S. America - 2015,
Star Princess - Pacific repo - 2015, AMACello - Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011,
Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009, Eurodam - Baltics - 2009,
Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008, Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007,
Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005, Star Princess - Mexico - 2002,
Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001, Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000,
Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999, Zenith - Bermuda - 1998,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997, Celebrity Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991, Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989, Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
The Gironde's on my wish list, Pacmom! Hope you'll tell us about it.

I hear you about running out of rivers. I've done the Danube a bunch of times, and the Rhine -- I'm on it now, maybe my fourth? -- but honestly, I never tire of 'em. Some ports are old friends (Durnstein, Regensburg, Rudesheim, Strasbourg).

Carolyn

Originally posted by pacmom
Carolyn, thanks for taking the time to read these posts. We experienced first hand excellent proaction from AMA during the "winter of low water" in 2012. The only boats the weeks we sailed that made the entine trip were older AMA boats. We were warned in advance that there would be a slight chance and it was just that. While underway, we lost a thruster--informed promptly and part driven from Rotterdam to Regensberg and fixed with a loss of 3 hours sailing. AMA and Uniworld rank neck and neck at the top of our list for customer satisfaction, attention to detail and crew. We are running out of rivers and DH is not one to repeat trips. This June we sail with Road Scholar on the Gironde--getting there before many others. Thisis the most pleasant of all the boards I have read---chherleaders and all. Pat
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Hi, MarkBearSF. Looking forward to AMAPrima later this summer!!!

Carolyn

Originally posted by MarkBearSF
We sailed AmaCello on a Rhine cruise a couple of weeks ago and I cannot imagine a better line. We were satisfied with all aspects of the experience and the service and quality exceeded our expectations.
Scotland
540 Posts
Joined May 2007
Why is there not an option - "None of the above" or "unsure"? or "cant decide"?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous cruises: QE2 X3, Viking Pride X1, Arcadia X1, Avalon Scenery X1, Avalon Creativity X1, QVX1. Viking Douro X1
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Because I messed up! Again, apologies. But I'm curious -- you have done a few river cruises. Do you not have a favorite? Or is it you can't decide? Tell us why in either case!

Thanks.

Carolyn

Originally posted by Nippy Sweetie
Why is there not an option - "None of the above" or "unsure"? or "cant decide"?
Coastal NC
3,236 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by [email protected]
Because I messed up! Again, apologies. But I'm curious -- you have done a few river cruises. Do you not have a favorite? Or is it you can't decide? Tell us why in either case!

Thanks.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I agree with Nippy Sweetie. I have been on 11 river cruises (Viking, Uniworld, AMA, Gate One and Grand Circle) and I don't have a "favorite". I really don't care who I cruise with as long as I get to see things and have fun. I have only been on one cruise where the water level impacted the cruise, been on two where larger groups have kind of taken over the boat, but neither situation impacted my vacation.

Sharon
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon

Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011.
Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. 12/11/11.
Grand Circle's [i]Essence of the Elbe: 5/27/12/ to 6/11/12
Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn , 2012. .
Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G
Grand Circle, Burma and the Irrawaddy, Thailand and Cambodia. Nov 25, 2014. RV Paukan 2012.
Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian
AMAWaterways: Magnificent Europe. Aug 30 to Sept 14, 2015. AMACerto. Budapest to Amsterdam
Vantage: The Peruvian Amazon and Machu Picchu. 3/12/2016. Post trip to Lake Titicaca. Ship: RV Amazon Discovery
Grand Circle: Grand Baltic Sea Voyage. . 7/30/2016 to 8/15/2016. Ship: Corinthian
Viking: Castles & Legends. Munich to Budapest. 12/5/16 to 12/16/16. Viking Ve.
Viking Sky: Mediterranean Getaway, Rome to Barcelona, 2/25/17 to 3/4/17.

Grand Circle: Maritime Jewels of the British Isles. 7/23/17. Ship: Corinthian
Avalon Affinity: Burgundy & Provence with London, 10/2/17
Viking RA: Pharaohs & Pyramids. March 8, 2018
florida
3,654 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
in different countries.Such as Russia,Egypt,Portugal,etc. Think some require various regulations.I noticed a difference in SAME company,but different country. Am I correct?Some lease them,others own.Then variety in EACH ship in EACH line also.
Notice that the larger lines also have MORE passengers and thus will vote MORE for that one, so smaller lines may be under represented.
Have been on MOST of the major lines, and trying Scenic next yr.for first time.If I had to choose,would be AMA so far(but with above caution re differences)/