Norwegian Breakaway inaugural transatlantic Review

Ok, so I've finally got back to UK time after flying back from New York yesterday morning.

If my review is anything like my previous ones this is likely to be A) lengthy, B) take some time to complete (so bear with me) but hopefully mostly C) fun and informative.

I've posted it here rather than the final countdown section just in case that disappears as sometimes happens on CC!!

So first some quick background info.

Solo/single cruiser from UK, still in his 30s (just!).

This was my 11th cruise, 4th with NCL, and 3rd transatlantic cruise.

Booked via an agent with NCL flights back from Newark Liberty to Birmingham UK delayed 2 days for a stop-over in New York.

Right here goes.. hold on tight.. (if for any reason any pics don't load correctly in here then they will be on my flickr account - flickr.com/single_cruiser/ in the Breakaway set (but if you look now you'll spoil the review :) )

being from the UK, the Southampton departures are a lot easier (wel that was the theory).

As this was only one way and flying back I had to position the car strategicaly at the airport I was flying back into (Birmingham International) and then catch the train down to Southampton. Where I had booked a room in the Novotel right next to the train station and the City cruise terminal.

I'd also planned to meet some of the other cruisers I had met on previous cruisers and pop along to the Cruise Critic pre-meet at the Duke of Wellington.

On arrival at the station and my hotel the first glimpses of the Breakaway (which had arrived into port earlier than morning) could be seen above the dock and surrounding buildings.

View from my hotel room:

8727095125_6c372ac9a1_b.jpg

image by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I then popped along to meet my fellow passengers and headed to the Duke for a drink or 4/5/6.. well.. It was very busy but had some great ales that had to be sampled and we met some of the CC roll cal members there.

8727095169_3853d625d1_c.jpg

Later that night on my return walk along the front I could hear the music from the ship which was entertaining the UK travel agents, the stories heard onboard from the crew of this night where somewhat eye opening..

8727095205_db95b2a621_c.jpg

So awoke with not too bad a head considering the Swordfish ale drunk the previous night contains a drop or two of Rum!

After breakfast it was the usual "what do we do now" wait. Boarding on the ticket said from 12PM and not to arrive before 1hr before (i.e. 11) but as we all know everyone tries that little bit earlier.

I'd decided to walk the short distance to the terminal and had estimated it would take me 15-20mins dragging my case so checked out about 10:30 and started to make my way. As it was it's only 10mins walk/drag to the terminal so I stopped and took a pic or two (and also pics for others walking along).

8727111513_492bd2cf09_b.jpg

Untitled by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8728231062_dea92b061c_b.jpg

I got to the terminal just before 11 and droped off my case with the waiting porters near the entrance.

As with my previous experience with Southampton city cruise terminal everything was smoothly done. I'm Silver Lattitudes (well Gold now post this cruise) but was directed to the general check-in line as the lattitudes one was much larger. I actually got processed quicker than some of my cruise buddies who were the last to join the lattitudes line just before me..

They asked for a printed ESTA (luckily I had it, others who didn't were directed to a group who were online and retrieving the docs).

Into the departure lounge (that was already about 50-60% full) and give a card with a colour on for groups to be called onboard.

No dailies were available but what I did notice was that the ship's wifi extended into the terminal (also its only one network rather than the two that were used on Epic). I'd already got the iconceirge app installed on my phone and so was able to register with my cabin no. and personal details and get access to the online dailies whilst waiting.

Our colour was called just before 12 and we boarded into a stairwell lobby on deck 5. We had been told that cabins were available from 12 so I decided to head straight there and drop my bag off before heading down to O'Sheehan's for some lunch..

So this time I booked a studio. I'd previously had sailed Epic three times and so had stayed in a studio before and thought the studio lounge would be ideal to meet others on this ship.

First problem was finding the studios. I'd walked past the "unmarked" door on both corridors. The sign is on the wall next to the door but it looks just like a crew cabin door. There is no glass door type onto the lobby area as used on Epic.

the Studio lounge itself was very disappointing. It's probably less than a third of the size of the one on Epic.

No vending machine for water/soft drinks but they put in two self-serve wine chillers!!

No fridge with snacks (sandwiches/salads)

But more importantly no whiteboard/flipchart for people to write on. This was mentioned at the first solo travellers gathering but Megan (the cruise directors staff assigned for the solos) said she had been told that she couldn't have one!

The upstairs part (and the better if I'm honest was never/hardly used) meaning that the downstairs part was packed, cramped, and noisy!

Upstairs studio Lounge.

8727114583_74ccabf572_b.jpg

8727115159_2b65faf738_b.jpg

downstairs studio lounge

8728236246_b0ba0aa495_b.jpg

8728236748_2bdb21ac7d_b.jpg

So I was in Cabin 11567 (easy to remember).

For those who have stayed in an Epic Studio Cabin the differences are:

1) The stool that fitted under the small table under the TV now doesn't fit as it's a square one. This meant I couldn't open the sliding door to the right!!

This was the first and only time I saw my cabin steward Winston and he said they were all wrong, most people ended up using them as a night-stand next to the bed below the phone.

2) The above mentioned phone is no longer touchscreen with that dimmer light to remove the screen but a standard button phone (saving money?)

3) The mood lighting has gone!

4) the shower door now opens like a normal door rather than on Epic where it slides inside the cubical. This has thw awkward affect of when you open the door not being able to reach the towels hanging on the inter-cabin wall mirrored door without getting fully out the shower and closing the door!!

5) Life jacket is now under the bed in one of the clothes bins rather than at the bottom of the wardrobe.

6) new switches in the cabin (in all cabins I think) for make up and do-not disturb. here's a pic of said switches.

8725301763_e98a8fdb9d_b.jpg

IMG_1061 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

you can't press both at the same time (I did try to see :D ). the affect is that above the cabin doors there are three little LEDs. One lights when in theory someone is in the cabin (a card in the light/power slot), thats a yellow/white one, a green one for when make-up switch is pressed, red one for do not disturb.

7) For the ladies (and some guys) in the shower is a new foot rail!!

8726468376_6f012807ee_b.jpg

IMG_1101 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

so less blood should be spilt.

8) The card slot that used to just control lights now controls all the power as well. If a card is not in there the plugs dont work and anything left on charge wont charge! Not sure how that works if people have health equipment or other stuff in there but it was a pain if you wanted to charge phones/cameras say in the evening when at dinner. Some people put their own card/store type card in the slot to fool it. I heard of at least one person who's steward removed this said card!

So pics of the studio cabins and usual questions.

No fridge. Yes hairdryer. Lots of power sockets (see pics below) including two euro, but mainly US.

8726418842_b51198dca5_b.jpg

IMG_1062 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725299833_b8cff73307_b.jpg

IMG_1063 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8728232388_36ce235830_b.jpg

8728232888_232808b2a7_b.jpg

8727115851_eb4bb7bb75_b.jpg

8727116493_f25906bccf_b.jpg

I had a quick look at the TV and it said the following channels were available although in reality a few (including the bow camera channel) did not appear to be working throughout the cruise. Hopefully thats a technical glitch they can fix. But an inside cabin without as much as a bow camera. And yes one morning I dressed in shorts as per forecast and wandered downstairs to be greeted with rain (which of course you would have seen on the bow camera if one had been available).

8725248727_e30206bd53_b.jpg

IMG_1039 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

pic of the phone

8726366024_ea9dc0300a_b.jpg

IMG_1041 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

the best bit was when checking the location for my muster station I looked on the back of the door.

8725304031_ccdac29c58_b.jpg

IMG_1058 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

it appears the German writer didn't get it proof read and all cabins now have life wests and you pushin the connectors together.

We had no boarding drinks or anything special as an inaugural cruise except a cheap tatty bag with a free NY guide book which seemed a bit like an after-thought.

8726467632_8dd0d78c04_b.jpg

IMG_1102 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

final thing on the studio cabins. I had a whole total of 5 plastic coat hangers in the wardrobe. I made do as was going to ask the steward, others did and got extras but as I never saw to speak to him again I just made do..

right time for a short break.. I'll be back later with my walk around the open decks, the beverage package debate and more... :D watch this space..

Yay!! Welcome back Craig! :)

I can see this is going to be a detailed report as usual!

Great photos of all the important things.....such as the new foot rest in the shower!! Less chance of blood spillage indeed!! :eek:

And as a previous poster said......I hope you reveal the gossip about the Travel Agents!! ;)

Looking forward to more! :)

I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the mis-spelling on the muster drill signs. We had a good laugh, I took a picture too.

As for the bag, we had three cabins, we are all different last names and all at different addresses. One cabin got the bag and booklet. Our steward told us that he was told only one per family??? Seems strange as while we are all related we don't live together. But he did go and find us two more bags, that we got near the end of the cruise. Oh we also got a little blue bracelet on Monday morning I believe it was. We saw Clark multiple times every day, he always greeted us even if he was several doors away. Only issue we never really got any ice in our bucket but I also didn't really worry with asking either.

back..

So I think this deserves its own section. One of the first things we all said we would do after boarding was to buy the package so after dumping valuables in the safe, (same size as on Epic and at an angle I could get my full-size ipad in), I headed to O'Sheehan's.

My Cruise friends were already there and had purchased the package. Just under $400 for the week. ($49+tip per day per person). They had been told that it was available from any bar but in fact it wasnt and people were being sent down to the Atrium bar as only there did they have the stickers.

I popped down and there was a queue (line) there, took about 20mins to get there sign the form and the sticker, we were supposed to get a printed list of what was in and out but I think they had already run out due to the high demand (NB lots of Brits onboard).

Key things about the package.

Even if a brand is shown doesn't necessary mean its included at all bars, I'll explain.

Newcastle Brown Ale for example. A small draft is below the $5.50 beers and bottles (pre-tip) limit however a can of same substance at another bar which doesn't sell draught is more and thus excluded!!

Also the large drafts are not included. But you could buy a small draft and then another a few mins later.. :rolleyes:

Basically most single spirits (not ultimate premium brands), soda and juices, beers and bottles less than $5.50 (also Smirnoff ice is included) , wine less than $10 per glass and some of the cocktails, here was a more grey area as it appeared to depend on what liquers were used to create them! Drinks like Red Bull are excluded.

You still had to sign all the receipts which was a pain and the bar tender/waiting staff should write BP or UBP at the top of the receipt.

Now I had the iconcierge app and saw that drinks purchased were still being added as well the package amount, lots of confusion and visits to reception by many confirmed that your iTV and app will still show ALL drinks but the final receipt doesnt, however it's worth mid cruise getting a printed statement to confirm your actual spend.

Overall I was about $120 up and whilst I drank a bit more than normal I didn't drink to excess and often didn't start until mid-late afternoon on alcoholic, with sodas and juice on it in the day..

Whilst I had mobile data in port at Southampton I decided to do a quick tour of the upper decks to upload some to my twitter account and familiarise myself with the ship.

Starting from the forward lobby, only certain elevators go up to deck 16, check above.

From deck 16 there are steps to deck 17 which is above the Haven.

deck 17 Port side.

8728240226_da26bca0fd_b.jpg

Just before the Haven roof on the right is a public bar link to the Beach Vibe club one the other side, this was a quiet bar which we had drinks at a few times when it was warm enough to sit outside.

here's the beach vibe (public) bar

8727120699_82b0d3e581_b.jpg

If you continue all the way to the front of deck 17 there is forward facing chairs and canopy type enclosures as well as hammocks and fwd facing views!

8727122299_814f533866_b.jpg

8728242650_c6e4f9f0ec_b.jpg

Craig:

Since you also sailed in a Studio onboard Epic...Did you notice that on Breakaway (unlike Epic) that they "fixed" the issue with the bed being 6" from the cabinets? You could actually walk between the bed and the wall! :D

So in an earlier shot next to the bar Port side is the steps to the upper "freestyle" sun-deck. Highest public point on the ship, deck 18.

Looking down to the Vibe beach club forward-starboard

8728244138_34d08c99d0_b.jpg

Looking towards back of the ship

8727126037_cf0005c6b7_b.jpg

From the freestyle deck there are double sets of stairs which take you down 18 to 16, however from these steps you can clearly look over into the "Vibe" Beach club.

8728245588_0155d915c2_b.jpg

Looking aft from these stairs you see this view, the steps are down to deck 15 the main sun deck

8727127369_7ea41ef2f7_b.jpg

Continuing along deck 16 Starboard side walking aft..

This view shows the fwd main pool, the two wave bars and also the stage where the singers/Nick/etc.. performed.

8726344910_f026d05a2e_b.jpg

IMG_1005 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

The deck is segmented with glass dividers/wind partitions which breaks up long flows..

Next up is the aqua park and the slides.

8726343638_11f759167a_b.jpg

IMG_1006 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

below which you can just make out the second pool.

8725223939_53bbd69797_b.jpg

IMG_1007 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

eventually you get to the Uptown Bar and Grill

8725223023_b4d2ff5a20_b.jpg

IMG_1008 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

now from here the small jogging track runs around the aqua park. For walking I actually used the waterfront. More on that later...

also you'll see from here there are some steps up to deck 17 to the sports complex. On this side you'll come to the 9-hole mini golf course..

8725329347_ab0e4394d3_b.jpg

IMG_1127 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

on the other side is the entrance to the ropes course

8726340494_72c5fa5985_b.jpg

IMG_1009 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Craig:

Since you also sailed in a Studio onboard Epic...Did you notice that on Breakaway (unlike Epic) that they "fixed" the issue with the bed being 6" from the cabinets? You could actually walk between the bed and the wall! :D

yes I think the bed is just a few inches narrower!

:D

the stairs both sides of deck 16 that go up, go directly to entrances in the sides of the netting for the sports court..

8726339554_113a017ece_b.jpg

IMG_1010 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

and finally for completness, looking forward from deck 17 on the Port side. The blocky building bottom right is a restroom/toilet block on deck 16.

8726338184_5b30e5f336_b.jpg

IMG_1011 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Now by this time with all this picture taking and being a whole 30mins since I last used the ultimate beverage package :eek: I decided I needed a drink and attempted to get to Spice H2O. But hold on.. I couldn't go down to the back from deck 17.

back to deck 16 I had a sign for the Video arcade Port side and the grill starboard side!!

Anyhow Spice can only be accessed via the rear elevator/stairwell lobby, however you can reach this lobby by either the door that says Video Arcade or the door at the end of the serving/bar section in the uptown bar grill area..

head through that and you reach some sliding doors which head out to Spice H2O

8726335676_c669d65245_b.jpg

IMG_1014 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8725216909_0fb4399ea7_b.jpg

IMG_1015 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726334082_bd07b087fd_b.jpg

IMG_1016 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

8726332978_e9179a16f5_b.jpg

IMG_1017 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I preferred the terraced larger spice on Epic but can see what they have done and its a bit more secluded with no kids accessing the sports courts as they do on Epic. Also there are some sun trap seats down the sides just past the bar on the Starboard side of the ship..

I used the waterfront more when the weather was warm enough, only a few days on our cruise..

right.. moving on. the rest of the pics will appear in future posts..

So Day 1 ents had Graffiti Classics in the theatre, I didnt have a daily so was using my app to get the info. But we decided to go to howl at the moon instead. but before that.. time to set sail..

8725247941_ba2f6340c0_b.jpg

IMG_1040 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

4:30PM was the Muster Drill. Many of the studio cabin residents seemed to have the theatre as the muster station.

We went, scanned in, sat and waited.. and waited...

the time came when we should have heard whistles and bells and we didn't, the time came when we should have heard the capt speak and the safety announcement and it didn't!

The crew muster station lead then advised that they couldn't get the PA piped into the theatre, nor the alarm by the sounds of it!! :eek:

So he said they had to do plan B and he just showed everyone how to put on a life vest (or west if you want) and then let us go.. Kind of a major fault and presumably it had been working on the Rotterdam sailing??

anyhow before the muster I had gone back to my cabin and left my phone on charge, making sure it was charging before I left.. I quickly ran back to grab it before sailaway.

Got into my cabin and inserted my card in the slot and heard a beep, the beep that you get when you first connect power!! yes without the card, as soon as I had taken it out it had turned off the sockets and thus not charged! :mad:

Anyhow for sailaway we were camped on the sunny side of the waterfront by Maltings watching the container ships go by and then eventually set sail.

8725249841_e0e4140c22_b.jpg

IMG_1037 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

not many more pics day 1 due to lack of aforementioned charge!

We ended up in Headliners until the early hours, clocks went back 1hr, supper was had at O'Sheehans. I had also attended the solo gathering at 7 which was litterally standing room only as the venue is too small and the low ceiling made it one loud constant noise. Not a nice experience..

Final pic for day 1 of the delightful Desiree in Headliners..

8724886621_156a60b4fc_b.jpg

IMG_1117 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

I'd got a daily last night in my cabin. woo hoo.. but the app had also updated..

8725320253_33e10cd339_b.jpg

Breakawayday2 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

pre-breakfast I decided to do what would become my daily laps, not of the jogging/walking track but the waterfront.

I had grabbed a drink in the studio lounge and had noticed a lack of breakfast cereals/juices etc.. it appears its not due to be serviced in the same manner as on Epic and only a few pastries/muffins.

After some contact by a fellow studio passenger juice appeared the next day and then a few more selections but nowhere near that of Epics.

At this stage I'm applying some journalistic license as not all pics were taken at the same time but I've stitched them together.

The Waterfront is a U-shaped starting and ending at the foreward Lobby which is about a 1/3rd along the ship. The 0.25ml front was very popular with the walkers each morning and then crossing the lobby to complete a loop (that carpet is so going to have worn tracks across it!).

So going clockwise starting at Starboard side fwd.

After going through the door (which all external doors are not automatic sensors but require touching a pad on the side inside or on the door outside to trigger the opening).

First stop is Fat Cats, with TV screens and music piped/can listen in the evening to the band.

Sitting outside at fat cats at sunset

8724876621_51162bdc29_b.jpg

IMG_1178 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Fat cats looking foreward

8726368972_b0b67ddb4d_b.jpg

IMG_1036 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

next up is Maltings on Waterfront

8726376640_0c5180d86b_b.jpg

IMG_1026 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Then Ocean Blue on the Waterfront

8726378550_c861a9bb53_b.jpg

IMG_1024 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

with menu:

then a long part outside the shops looking foreward,

8725261201_e076d54c85_b.jpg

IMG_1023 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

before reaching the Gelato shop, now looking aft from spot previous shot taken towards Moderno.

8725294391_971ed04b92_b.jpg

IMG_1067 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Archived