Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default menu for carlos bakery on breakaway

can someone please be kind and post a menu from carlos bakery along with the prices please

thanks so much

Old May 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

I just had a frustrating experience with ordering cakes available from Carlo's Bakery on the Breakaway. About two weeks ago there was a listing on myncl.com of cakes available to order while on the cruise. There were about 10 different varieties and the list gave prices. I wanted a carrot cake, which was not on the list. So I didn't order at the time and when I went back on to order my second choice about a week ago the list was gone! Believe me, I looked everywhere on myncl.com for it! As our cruise leaves this Sunday (today is Friday) I finally called NCL yesterday to find out where the ordering information was on their site. After about 1/2 hour of customer service frustration the agent told me that the listing wasn't on my myncl.com site because cakes have to be ordered at least 4 days before sailing!

I find this ridiculous and implausible and will be following up with Event Planning at ncl and Carlo's Bakery itself later today!

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubtiques View Post
. After about 1/2 hour of customer service frustration the agent told me that the listing wasn't on my myncl.com site because cakes have to be ordered at least 4 days before sailing!

I find this ridiculous and implausible and will be following up with Event Planning at ncl and Carlo's Bakery itself later today!

Needing to have an order placed four days prior to sailing is not ridiculous. NCL not having that information on their website is wrong. I looked quickly at myncl up to the point of placing an order and there was no mentioned of it unless I missed it.

I am sure Carlos has a contract with NCL stating they need a certain amount of days to place an order. I do not know what the logistics are (if cakes are made at one of his shops or actually onboard).

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Cruise View Post
Needing to have an order placed four days prior to sailing is not ridiculous.

I am sure Carlos has a contract with NCL stating they need a certain amount of days to place an order. I do not know what the logistics are (if cakes are made at one of his shops or actually onboard).
Agree - keep in mind it's not NCL making the cakes on behalf of Carlo's. It's Carlo's making the cakes and stocking them on the ship. They need time to make sure they make all the cakes and the treats to accommodate 4,000 people at least a few weeks before sailing. Don't worry - I'm sure they make extra cakes in case people who didn't order ahead of time decide they want to buy a cake while on board. I'm sure you will still get your cake. Have a great trip!
NCL Star, Bermuda - October 2012
Carnival Glory, Canada - July 2012
NCL Gem, Bahamas - September 2011
RC Explorer of the Seas, Bermuda - September 2010

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think that the cakes are made in Carlos's bakery and sent to the ship. Think about it....the Breakaway leaves on a Sunday, lets say someone ordered a special occasion cake for that Thursday on their cruise. You think they're delivering and serving a 5 day old cake to the person who special ordered it? I hope not! I think all the cakes and pastries are Carlos's bakery own recipes and they're recreated on board by the pastry chefs.
NCL Breakaway 8/25/13 Haven Spa Suite 40th Bday
NCL Gem 11/15/13 1 Night CTN
NCL Gem 1/10/14 1 Night CTN
NCL Getaway 1/27/14 1 Day Tour of the Ship

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleboo View Post
can someone please be kind and post a menu from carlos bakery along with the prices please

thanks so much
Please do not take this the wrong way, but Carlos products are average at best. I have eaten products right from his shop here in NJ and they really are not special by any means. Are they good? Yes. Special? No.

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agree with that. Even Ferraras, considered a to be NYC tourist trap, is way better than Carlos'.

QE2 to Bermuda (a long time ago)
Norwegian Spirit, Eastern Caribbean, June 2006
Norwegian Pearl, Western Caribbean, December 2011
Norwegian Breakaway, Bermuda, June 2013

Work (noun, verb, adjective. Middle English worke): That annoying thing one needs to do between cruises.

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddysDad View Post
Please do not take this the wrong way, but Carlos products are average at best. I have eaten products right from his shop here in NJ and they really are not special by any means. Are they good? Yes. Special? No.
My thoughts exactly.

Caribbean Princess 07/03/2004
Caribbean Princess 05/21/2005
Radiance of the Seas 04/16/2006
Caribbean Princess 07/15/2007
Caribbean Princess 05/11/2008
Adventure of the Seas 07/06/2008
Celebrity Summit 07/24/2011
Oasis of the Seas 07/21/2012
Norwegian Breakaway 08/11/2013

Old May 17th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alg7334 View Post
Agree - keep in mind it's not NCL making the cakes on behalf of Carlo's. It's Carlo's making the cakes and stocking them on the ship. They need time to make sure they make all the cakes and the treats to accommodate 4,000 people at least a few weeks before sailing. Don't worry - I'm sure they make extra cakes in case people who didn't order ahead of time decide they want to buy a cake while on board. I'm sure you will still get your cake. Have a great trip!
They aren't baking them on the ship? We might be eating 4 or more day old cake then?

Old May 18th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hubtiques- your just a bundle of laughs

Old May 18th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhus View Post
They aren't baking them on the ship? We might be eating 4 or more day old cake then?
And paying for the privilege.
Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC, Carnival, Carnival Glory Feb 17, 2013, Carnival Breeze Feb 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas Oct 25, 2013, Upcoming Caribbean Princess Nov 10, 2014 & MSC Divina Jan 24, 2015
"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"
Cruising is the Best Vacation!

Old May 18th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddysDad View Post
I couldn't agree with this more! When the father was alive the bakery was the best around! They had the best cannoli,best Italian cookies, and the best crumb cake. Now it's all about the look and design of the special occasion cakes the taste is not great.
RCCL Nordic Empress Sep 99
CCL Destiny Sep 00
RCCL Serenade Oct 03 "Honeymoon Cruise"
RCCL Adventure Nov 03
NCL Dawn Oct 04
RCCL Voyager Oct 05
RCCL Freedom May 06 "2 nt pre-inaugural"
RCCL Explorer Oct 06
RCCL Explorer Jun 07
RCCL Explorer Nov 08
RCCL Explorer Nov 09
CCL Glory July 10
NCL Jewel Feb 11
RCCL Explorer Oct 12
NCL Breakaway Nov 13

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

My local supermarket now carries the cakes - frozen - for $22.95!

Darcy

Old May 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

My cousin's bakery bakes her cakes on a Wednesday for a Saturday pick-up: bake on Wednesday night, icing and filling on Thursday, decorate on Friday, deliver on Saturday. I think this is pretty standard in most bakeries for special orders and elaborate cakes. On-the-shelf cakes are probably baked two-three days in advance.

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhus View Post
I'm assuming they make the special order cakes and freeze them to preserve them. So it's not like you would be eating a cake that has been sitting out rotting for 4 days.... I was under the impression that Carlo's is a family owned bakery and they keep their recipes in the family, therefore would be making all the products themselves prior to the ships sailing. I could be wrong though.
NCL Star, Bermuda - October 2012
Carnival Glory, Canada - July 2012
NCL Gem, Bahamas - September 2011
RC Explorer of the Seas, Bermuda - September 2010

Old May 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry but this is incorrect.

As per http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruise...-ship/2120479/

"Belgiovine says he's training the new shop's staff to bake the Carlo's way, and he's getting a kick out of all the passengers coming in for a look-see."

Old May 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I actually like Carlos bakery, in fact my daughter just had her 10th Birthday party there yesterday. However, I am not a fan of fondant (we call it fonDONT) and I would not be happy getting, let alone paying that price for one. Now give me their red velvet cake, crumb cake, lobster tails or cannoli and I am happy (their carrot cake is not the best I have had but pretty good).

Old May 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I highly doubt that - any more than Zakarian making the meals at Blue!

Total Days at Sea: 109
Carnival: 95 (with 4 booked)
NCL: 14 (with 14 booked)

Up Next:
NCL Getaway - February 2015
Carnival Victory - May 2015
NCL Escape - February 2016

Completed:
Carnival Miracle - February 2014
NCL Breakaway - September 2013
Carnival Breeze...again! - August 2013
Carnival Breeze - February 2013
NCL Epic - February 2012
Carnival Magic - December 2011 - Platinum!!
Carnival Miracle - January 2011
Carnival Dream - January 2010
Carnival Spirit - February 2009
Carnival Splendor - November 2008
Carnival Legend - February 2007
Carnival Triumph - February 2006
Carnival Destiny - February 2005
Carnival Glory - February 2004
Carnival Pride - February 2002

Old May 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva830 View Post
I don't think that the cakes are made in Carlos's bakery and sent to the ship. Think about it....the Breakaway leaves on a Sunday, lets say someone ordered a special occasion cake for that Thursday on their cruise. You think they're delivering and serving a 5 day old cake to the person who special ordered it? I hope not! I think all the cakes and pastries are Carlos's bakery own recipes and they're recreated on board by the pastry chefs.
Yes! Thank makes MUCH more sense.

We can get cakes "from Carlos's Bakery" here in one of our local supermarket chains - so he's already trusting is recipes to those outside 'his" bake shop!

Total Days at Sea: 109
Carnival: 95 (with 4 booked)
NCL: 14 (with 14 booked)

Up Next:
NCL Getaway - February 2015
Carnival Victory - May 2015
NCL Escape - February 2016

Completed:
Carnival Miracle - February 2014
NCL Breakaway - September 2013
Carnival Breeze...again! - August 2013
Carnival Breeze - February 2013
NCL Epic - February 2012
Carnival Magic - December 2011 - Platinum!!
Carnival Miracle - January 2011
Carnival Dream - January 2010
Carnival Spirit - February 2009
Carnival Splendor - November 2008
Carnival Legend - February 2007
Carnival Triumph - February 2006
Carnival Destiny - February 2005
Carnival Glory - February 2004
Carnival Pride - February 2002

Old May 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: A perpetually fog shrouded wasteland below the arctic peaks of the Zokov islands.

As we haven't seen a menu, I don't know if this is relevant, but there are quite a few bakery items that should be made fresh each day, like croissants, or fragile items stuffed with wet items, etc.