Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Back from AMA Paris-Normandy cruise

Just back from my first river cruise, AmaLegro, Paris-Normandy. We couldn't have been happier with the cruise line! The crew was awesome, food and wine good and plentiful, rooms were small but very well-designed. There were choices of excursions which, frequently, included bike tours and slow or active walking tours.

We were a couple, traveling on our own, and found it easy to make friends. The dining room setup encourages mixing. There seemed to be mostly Americans on board, with a smattering of Canadians and Aussies.

The itinerary worked for us since I was pining for another visit to Paris and my husband wanted to see the landing beaches. We did Paris on our own, staying at the delightful and perfectly-located Hotel Britannique. I think, however, that some of the other rivers may be more scenic for cruising. Plus, the trip to the beaches required long bus rides.

If we take another river cruise, I wouldn't even look at another line. AmaWaterways will be the one! And to drive home the point, not only did they provide a gift of a custom-designed scarf to every woman on board at the end of the trip, but a hand-written "thank you" postcard, signed by the captain, hotel manager and cruise director just arrived in my mailbox!

Old May 21st, 2013, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We leave Monday for Paris and our cruise on the Amalegro.This will be our third AMA cruise.

You are probably right about the other rivers being more scenic but Paris is ... Paris!

Lorraine

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for sharing, and so happy to hear that you were pleased with AMA Waterways.

We're going on our first river cruise in August. Can't wait!
California Coastal - Golden Princess, Nov 2013 Alaska RT Seattle - Golden Princess, August 2012Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver - Zuiderdam, May 2012 Greek Isles - Star Princess, July 2011 Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess, September 2010 Western Mediterranean - Holland America Noordam, August 2010 Baltic - Emerald Princess, August 2009 Alaska Cruisetour Southbound - Coral Princess, August 2008 Mexican Riviera - Diamond Princess, November 2006 Mexico Cabo San Lucas - Carnival Elation, 2008 Mexico Baja - Royal Caribbean Monarch, 2007

River Cruises:
Danube Budapest to Prague - AmaLyra, August 2013
Seine Paris to Normandy - AmaLegro, July 24, 2014

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default More AMA benefits

There were so many positives about AMA that I left out a few:

>Free wifi all over the boat and a computer as part of each room's entertainment system.
>Coffee, tea, beverages and snacks all day long in the lounge.
>Massages are available (for a fee).
>You can bring your own alcoholic beverages onboard. We did cocktails in our cabin and, with the free-flowing wine at meals, had absolutely NO charges, other than gratuities, on our bill at checkout. Truly "all-inclusive."
>Something to do every night if you had the energy. And piano music in the lounge every afternoon.
>A treat ready each time we returned from an excursion.

I guess you could say I was completely satisfied .

Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocatraveler09 View Post
There were so many positives about AMA that I left out a few:

>Free wifi all over the boat and a computer as part of each room's entertainment system.
>Coffee, tea, beverages and snacks all day long in the lounge.
>Massages are available (for a fee).
>You can bring your own alcoholic beverages onboard. We did cocktails in our cabin and, with the free-flowing wine at meals, had absolutely NO charges, other than gratuities, on our bill at checkout. Truly "all-inclusive."
>Something to do every night if you had the energy. And piano music in the lounge every afternoon.
>A treat ready each time we returned from an excursion.

Except for the in-room computer, we had the same amenities on Uniworld. But your point remains valid - amenities like this really enhance the cruising experience. Glad you had such a great time on AMA!

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocatraveler09 View Post
There were so many positives about AMA...

Welcome to the AMA fan club.

We discovered AMA three years ago when we were just not sure that river cruising was for us, after trying several cruises on another line.

For what we enjoy, they really deliver with wonderful attention to detail and the best staffs and crews we have experienced to date.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks! I know I am being effusive, but we really were impressed.

Last edited by bocatraveler09; May 22nd, 2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: quote function didn't work correctly

Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default High water

We just received word of high water on our Amalegro cruise leaving on Friday.
We are in Paris pre cruise. Did you have any problems with river levels?

Glad you had a great time.

Deena

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

We had to be bused to meet the boat in Conflans (40 min.) because the river was high on boarding day. Had no problems after that and were able to dock in Paris on our return.

Enjoy the trip!

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
5,000+ Club

Glad to see that AMA continues to satisfy. I would like to try other river cruise lines; but worry that they will not come up to AMA's quality. The Amalegro crew was really outstanding.

See reviews and pictures of our Island Princess Alaska Cruise and Land Tour
Now Posted; Oceania Regatta - Bermuda; HAL Westerdam; Celebrity Reflection; New England/Canada; Celebrity Eclipse Baltic cruise and England land tour; Celebrity Century Hawaii cruise; Celebrity Silhouette Mediterranean Adriatic cruise; Allure of the Seas; Paris to Prague River Cruise; South America; SE Asia; Danube River Cruise; Celebrity Solstice; Alaska; Egypt; NZ/Australia; Fr. Polynesia/Marquesas; Mediterranean; British Isles/Norwegian Fjords; Panama Canal and other cruises at: Mike and Carol's Website LINK

Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Eclipse - Oct 2014 - Spain & Canaries
Celebrity Infinity - Nov 2014 - Westbound Panama Canal
Oceania Riviera - Dec 2014 - Mayan Mystique
Oceania Nautica - March 2015 - China/Japan

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Weather and water levels

We are leaving Monday for France. We are doing Avalon to Normandy. I am glad you had a great trip. I will have check out your boat the next time. How was the weather? Getting ready to start getting my clothes together today!

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by admax View Post
We are leaving Monday for France. We are doing Avalon to Normandy. How was the weather? Getting ready to start getting my clothes together today!
Weather was less than great. Paris was okay but as we headed north, is was overcast, windy, chilly with some showers. We had leather jackets and wore layers. I was thankful for scarves. But the week before it had been lovely! Still had a blast but did bring home French colds.

Old May 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We hope the weather will improve. We're watching the forecast to decide what to pack but layers are always a good idea!