Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old May 25th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Should I wait to book my Sept. '13 Alaska Cruise to get a better price?

I've been pricing a cruise on the NCL Pearl (Sept 8 departure). The cruises leaving in the summer are cheaper at this point, I'm wondering if my cruise will come down in price. Should I wait to book? I usually book pretty last minute so that doesn't bother me. I can see that the balcony cabins leaving during the summer months are in some cases below $1,000, but right now I can't find a balcony cabin under $1,500. Any advice on this? You would think the Sept. Alaska cruises would be less than the summer dates. Thanks!

Old May 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM
10,000+ Club

The standard advise given every time this question is asked is book now. If the price goes down prior to final payment, most cruise lines will give you the lower fare. After final payment, some compensation for the price drop might be given, but is not required.

Waiting until the last minute has three problems. First, far less choice of cabin type level and location. Second last minute airfares and inconvenient routes might eat of any and all of your cruise fare savings. Lastly, if you are set on a certain sailing date, what happens if all of a sudden that cruise sells out. You now don't have a cruise. And there won't some warning like "Buy now, only 3 cabins left!!"

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Final payment shoud be due in the next 6 weeks. You seem comfortable waiting for a last minute booking. If you are flexible enough to perhaps have to change cabin category, wait and see what happens. I would continue to monitor the website to see if certain categories are selling out.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Scrapnana; May 25th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:23 PM
50,000+ Club

If you live near the cruise ports, then you may not have to worry about booking flights like some of us.

Prices of flights can be higher for last minute bookings.

You have a lot to think about.

Old May 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketCruiser View Post
I've been pricing a cruise on the NCL Pearl (Sept 8 departure). The cruises leaving in the summer are cheaper at this point, I'm wondering if my cruise will come down in price. Should I wait to book? I usually book pretty last minute so that doesn't bother me. I can see that the balcony cabins leaving during the summer months are in some cases below $1,000, but right now I can't find a balcony cabin under $1,500. Any advice on this? You would think the Sept. Alaska cruises would be less than the summer dates. Thanks!
there is a late aug balcony on princess for 799

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:17 PM
50,000+ Club

The lowest and highest price rooms go first along with the best rooms in each category. I believe in booking early and if rates go down try to get a lower rate.

Keith

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapnana View Post
Final payment shoud be due in the next 6 weeks. You seem comfortable waiting for a last minute booking. If you are flexible enough to perhaps have to change cabin category, wait and see what happens. I would continue to monitor the website to see if certain categories are selling out.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

How can I monitor what categories are selling out? I would love to know how to do this. We normally book our cruise 30-60 days out and get what we want, but we're flexible.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiana View Post
there is a late aug balcony on princess for 799
Thanks, I'm checking it out right now.

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketCruiser View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses.

How can I monitor what categories are selling out? I would love to know how to do this. We normally book our cruise 30-60 days out and get what we want, but we're flexible.
There is a website for monitering cabins/prices. Since we aren't allowed to post the name if you do a google search about a "cruise" and going to "fish" I think you will be successful in finding what you are looking for.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for,
12 - 1991 Souvern of the Seas Caribbean, 1993 Star Princess - Caribbean, 1994 Regal Princess - Caribbean, 1995 NCL Dreamward - Caribbean, 1996 Veendam - Cruise with MOM - Caribbean, 12-31-2001 Granduer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2003 Veendam - our first girls cruise - Caribbean, 1-3-2004 Splendor of the Seas - Panama Canal, 1-1-2005 NCL Sun - Caribbean, 3-12-2006 Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2007 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 2-25-2008 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 10-8-2008 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 1-19-2009 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 1-2-2010 Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, 4-25-2010 Statendam - Panama Canal, 8-7-2010 Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda, 10-18-2010 Celebrity Mercury - Caribbean, 03-04-2011 Rotterdam - Hawaii & Tahiti-Amazing, Eurodam - Caribbean Nov 2012, Veendam - Canada/NE - Aug 2013, Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Dec 2013