How Long to Disembark (debark) in Barcelona (Disney Magic)

zerolex

Hello,

My family is going on its first cruise in August 2013 and I was wondering what the debark process is like in Barcelona. Disney's 7 day cruise "returns" at 7am and I am thinking about trying to catch the 9:05 train from Sants Station.

Long story short, I want to take the new high speed line from Barcelona to Paris and it only leaves twice a day right now, at 9:05am and aprox. 4:30pm.

I have ready many posts on the standard warnings but just looking for some perspective from someone who has taken this cruise in the last year or two.

Thank you!

The magic being the smaller ship, this MAY be doable. And unlike a flight there may be other train options just not as high speed.

You would have to self disembark and I would strongly consider a private transfer (I have not idea how long from port to station)

Hello,

My family is going on its first cruise in August 2013 and I was wondering what the debark process is like in Barcelona. Disney's 7 day cruise "returns" at 7am and I am thinking about trying to catch the 9:05 train from Sants Station.

Long story short, I want to take the new high speed line from Barcelona to Paris and it only leaves twice a day right now, at 9:05am and aprox. 4:30pm.

I have ready many posts on the standard warnings but just looking for some perspective from someone who has taken this cruise in the last year or two.

Thank you!

We've gone in and out of Barcelona on DCL several times, most recently in 2011.

It took us no time at all. DCL had a system set up to allow those who had a flight before 10 to do a priority disembarkation--it didn't allow breakfast, but they had juice and pastry in Rockin Bar D (where we were to meet).

What you will do--DO NOT put your luggage out the night before. Keep it with you and wheel it off yourself. As soon as Spanish Customs has cleared the ship, there will be a "self disembarkation" announcement--this is while luggage is being moved into the terminal for people who put it out. You will be allowed to get off and go thru Customs and be on your way.

The hang up is that you are assuming the ship docks on time (it usually does) and that Customs clears the ship on time....and no one can predict that! Customs itself took maybe 3 minutes and there was practically no line. Most people put bags out.

OK, where the tie up was. They were only allowing a limited number of cabs into the port area, and the line for them became long. Don't know how you plan to get from the cruise port to the train station, but it is about a 2 mile walk (not really do-able for Americans with luggage, but we saw a German family doing it!). You might consider a limo service rather than depending on a cab.

Thanks for the quick responses.

We will definitely keep our bags so we can self debark. Google says the distance to Sants Estacion is about 10k (6+ miles) so, if we take the gamble, it sounds like a car service is our best bet.

We have just come back from Barcelona from the 7 night cruise that departed on 1st June. The magic docked at 5 am and we were cleared to debark by about 7. We didn't keep our luggage and didnt use priority debark and we were still off the boat and in our coach with our luggage for the airport by 8am. There appeared to be plenty of taxis and a police officer was making sure all traffic moved well. Hope this helps

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were also on the Magic two weeks ago, and I agree that if all goes well, you can easily be off the ship by 8. We had 2nd seating breakfast and set out our luggage the night before, and we met our car service by 8:45. A fair number of passengers will have flights to the US before 11 and will need more time at the airport than you should at the train station. That said, of course it is possible that the ship docks late or takes longer than expected to be cleared by customs.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...

Archived