Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Main dining room-what time is best?

I know this is a general question but does anyone recommend a time that is best to dine in the main dining room. I'm cruising on the allure of the seas in November.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth View Post
I know this is a general question but does anyone recommend a time that is best to dine in the main dining room. I'm cruising on the allure of the seas in November.
Well, will you be taking Traditional Dining at one of the two set times (usually 6:00, and 8:00 or 8:30 pm), or My Time Dining, when you pre-pay your tips before you leave home and can dine anytime you want to? The decision is yours, unless the choice you want is full in which case you can try to switch when you board the ship.

Up next:
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old June 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Langley cruises... I have chosen my time dining...but I would like a set time each night.

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Normally the best time is 6:18.

Really...if you are not doing My Time, there are two set times for dinner. Pick one .

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would go with my time dining.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:33 PM
5,000+ Club

If your shows are around 8:30 and after, then 6:30 is good.

Royal Princess 10 Night Repo Cruise

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I prefer MTD as 6 is too early and 9:30(Eurocruiser) is too late.

But we don't like prepaying tips either.

We normally end up booking the early sitting but if we can't be bothered leaving the pool deck at 5 to shower and change(this happens more days than not) we go to the windjammer at around 7:30

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Langley cruises... I have chosen my time dining...but I would like a set time each night.

I would look at the show schedules and then make a decision on a night by night basis. It is best to reserve your shows in advance for the Allure so once you are able to do that, then I would book reservations for either MTD or specialty restaurants.

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
I would look at the show schedules and then make a decision on a night by night basis. It is best to reserve your shows in advance for the Allure so once you are able to do that, then I would book reservations for either MTD or specialty restaurants.
That is probably the best way to go. Gives you maximum flexibility in reserving shows.
Imma Critter #21
+
Holiday - December 1993, Song of America - August 1996, Song of America - August 1997
Norwegian Crown - August 1998, Grandeur of the Seas - July 1999, Oceanic - December 1999,
Carnival Destiny - July 2000, Mercury - July 2001, Sovereign of the Seas - November 2001
Zenith - August 2002, Carnival Legend - August 2003, Voyager of the Seas - July 2004
Zenith - April 2005, Voyager of the Seas - July 2005, Explorer of the Seas - July 2006
Empress of the Seas - August 2006, Explorer of the Seas - July 2007, Rhapsody of the Seas - July 2008
QM2 - July 2009, Explorer of the Seas - November 2009, Summit - July 2010, Allure of the Seas -Pre Inaugural December 2010,
Explorer of the Seas - August 2011, Explorer of the Seas - December 2011, Caribbean Princess - October 2012,
Allure of the Seas - December 2012, Explorer of the Seas - May 2013, Explorer of the Seas - May 2014
Staten Island Ferry - many times

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Every person is different but since you asked I will tell you what we do. I look at the itinerary and the sail away times then book My time dining about two to three hours after that. The reason we like to be on the top decks enjoying a drink and the music and scenery at sail away, we can then take our time to get ready and then head to the champagne bar for a pre dinner cocktail. As I said everyone is different but that's our way. We really disliked the structured time dining, Since RCL started my time dining we never looked back.

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Also, please know that you are not required to make a reservation each night. You are encouraged, but it is not necessary. You may simply show up when you are hungry and be seated, with or without a wait. If you are just going to "walk up", I would suggest an off-peak time, such as PLEIKU68 suggested - seriously, a time off the quarter hour might yield you less wait time. 6:18 pm, 6:48, 7:23... see? Not on a quarter hour - it works.

Up next:
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old June 12th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just a little confused. I have the 6:00 dining time, but tips are prepaid. How will the wait-staff know that their tips are paid? Is it customary to still provide envelopes with additional money at the end of the week, even though tips were paid? Thanks.

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post
Well, will you be taking Traditional Dining at one of the two set times (usually 6:00, and 8:00 or 8:30 pm), or My Time Dining, when you pre-pay your tips before you leave home and can dine anytime you want to? The decision is yours, unless the choice you want is full in which case you can try to switch when you board the ship.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have my time dining...my question is do I have to still reserve a time...or do I just show up at the MDR?

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEIKU68 View Post
Normally the best time is 6:18.

Really...if you are not doing My Time, there are two set times for dinner. Pick one .
Wow..this comment seems to be a bit cheeky It's my first time cruising...I'm not sure how my time dining works. Thanks for the reply

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetz View Post
If your shows are around 8:30 and after, then 6:30 is good.
Thanks janetz for the suggestion!

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfm18 View Post
I prefer MTD as 6 is too early and 9:30(Eurocruiser) is too late.

But we don't like prepaying tips either.

We normally end up booking the early sitting but if we can't be bothered leaving the pool deck at 5 to shower and change(this happens more days than not) we go to the windjammer at around 7:30
Yes that's what I was afraid of...6 being to early! Thanks for the reply!

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneclear View Post
Every person is different but since you asked I will tell you what we do. I look at the itinerary and the sail away times then book My time dining about two to three hours after that. The reason we like to be on the top decks enjoying a drink and the music and scenery at sail away, we can then take our time to get ready and then head to the champagne bar for a pre dinner cocktail. As I said everyone is different but that's our way. We really disliked the structured time dining, Since RCL started my time dining we never looked back.
Thanks for the great suggestion!

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post
Also, please know that you are not required to make a reservation each night. You are encouraged, but it is not necessary. You may simply show up when you are hungry and be seated, with or without a wait. If you are just going to "walk up", I would suggest an off-peak time, such as PLEIKU68 suggested - seriously, a time off the quarter hour might yield you less wait time. 6:18 pm, 6:48, 7:23... see? Not on a quarter hour - it works.
Hi! That's great information! Thanks for the reply!

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi! Thanks for the reply! I have my time dining...my question is do I have to still reserve a time...or do I just show up at the MDR?
No, you don't have to reserve a time, you can just show up. They will encourage you to pick a time, but you don't have to.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager