Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadimis View Post
I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?
When I did excursions there were always so many more things to do that couldn't be done in just one visit to the island.

Now I cruise for the ship and don't really care where we go. If I get off the ship at all it's just to wander around the port area, have something to eat or drink and people watch.

Festivale 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008,
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008, Glory 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009, Conquest 9/2009,
Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010, Conquest 9/2010,
Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011, Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012,
Conquest 9/2012, Breeze 1/13/13 & 1/19/13, Conquest 4/2013, Magic 10/2013, Sunshine 2/2014, Magic 8/2014

Cool Cruiser

Doesn't matter where the ship goes. Just love the Caribbean and the water. Love to Cruise.

Aquarium Countdowns from 123mycodes.com

Cool Cruiser

Some of us like doing what we know. In most ports there are new things to do or some of us just like being on the ship, cruising to anywhere. We have sailed on one ship 4 times. We did this mainly because we received a very good price that we did not want to pass up.
Star Princess (Love Boat, 2004) Fantasy 2007 (New Orleans), Elation 2010 (Mobile), Esctacy 2011 (Galveston), Esctacy 2011 (Port Canaveral), Oosterdam 2012 (Alaska), Esctacy 2012 (Port Canaveral), Esctacy 2013 (Port Canaveral, Spring Break, one last time), Elation Summer 2013

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Because people like "the ride".

IMHO...if I really wanted to visit someplace...I'd take a land vacation. Being on a cruise gives you only limited time in a port and doesn't even guarantee getting into the port.

Although I do prefer "different ports".....the specific ports themselves are secondary.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sometimes it's not about the destination. it's about the million enjoyable things while cruising. Sometimes people really like a place and want to keep going back. Sometimes its the economics. Why should it matter to you?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM
5,000+ Club

Lack of other options. When you're locked into a certain time of year and a certain few departure ports, and then add in a price point, voila- welcome to the same ports. I've done the NY-Port Canaveral-Nassau-Great Stirrup Cay so much that I could be relied upon as a backup navigator . Now off I go to the Maritime Provinces again. I really can't fly myself and a spouse or a couple of kids from the northeast to Seattle or Civitavecchia in July without adding many thousands to the price. When I sail alone with DH in the off season we have a little flexibility and reach a little- a little .

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

To be honest there is only so much of a country you can experience when you stop at the port for a few hours. If I really wanted to know what Greece is like, a land-based vacation would probably be a better option than a Mediterranean cruise. But most cruisers simply love being on a ship, so this is the main consideration.

Maybe people have a favorite beach, restaurant or like the climate in a certain part of the world.

I know a lot of people who go on the same land vacation every year - a resort or cabin somewhere .. or Disney World 10 years in a row (!!!) because they don't want to take a risk and are happy with what they are familiar with.

I do agree with you though - we love to explore new places on our cruises. I am looking forward to a world cruise to the Far East when/if we retire

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
There are so many different things to see and do on most of the islands. We use to do a lot of beach excursions, now we do excursions that focus on history and architecture. For example, I can't imagine doing the beaches at Cozumel, but missing the ruins.

Some of the islands I can agree that once is enough, but it is more a product of your initial experience there, not that there is only one thing to see or do!
Carnival Legend 2012
Carnival Liberty 2010
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Sensation 2008 (Carol Girls Trip)
Carnival Triumph 2007
Carnival Fascination 2007 (Carol Girls Trip)
RC Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Carnival Legend 2005 (Carol Girls Trip)
Carnival Glory 2004

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I would prefer to go to the same places over and over again. I am not one that would like to cruise to Alaska, just not my cup of tea. Plus I love the Caribbean, so I'm happy with cruising to those destinations over and over again. If I'm on a ship where there are palm trees, sand, water, and sun I'm happy!
Carnival Pride - May 2008

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

The ship is our destination. Could care less where it goes.
Carnival - 1

Old June 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

I cruise for the ship, not for the ports.

Norwegian - Majesty, Epic, Sky, Dawn, Jewel, Star, Breakaway (x2), Getaway (X2)

Royal Caribbean - Mariner, Sovereign, Navigator, Radiance

Princess - Crown

Carnival - Glory x3

MSC - Divina

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your responses everybody. I see there are many different reasons, some I never thought of. We cruise for the ports and like the easiness of a floating hotel but not everybody does
And to croooze, thanks for reminding me why I usually don't post on cc and just keep my questions and comments to myself. Does it matter to me...yes, or I wouldn't have asked. I was interested and curious and thought I'd ask and see if anyone was willing to answer and thankfully nice people did.

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can do 2-3 Caribbean cruises for 1 Europe one.

Having said this we are thinking we are about done with 1 week Caribbean and if we can get reasonable price air will start doing 2 week European cruises starting next year.

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm all about the ship not the ports.

2015 Carnival Fantasy
2014 Carnival Breeze
2013 Carnival Breeze
2011 Carnival Fascination
2010 Carnival Fascination
2006 Carnival Fantasy
2004 Carnival Conquest
2003 Carnival Inspiration
2001 Carnival Imagination
1998 Carnival Ecstasy

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are lots of things I want to do in the ports and I only get to do one or two things each time I'm there. I'm going to have to make a few trips.

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks for your responses everybody. I see there are many different reasons, some I never thought of. We cruise for the ports and like the easiness of a floating hotel but not everybody does
And to croooze, thanks for reminding me why I usually don't post on cc and just keep my questions and comments to myself. Does it matter to me...yes, or I wouldn't have asked. I was interested and curious and thought I'd ask and see if anyone was willing to answer and thankfully nice people did.
You asked a question and croooze asked one in return, nothing wrong with either question, really.

I can only answer for myself but we've done the same itinerary because 1) it's all we could afford or 2) because it's the only itinerary we can do because we can drive to the departure port (which kind goes back to reason 1). Someday when the kids are on their own we will be able to travel to different ports and experience different itineraries.

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Email sparks1093

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
5,000+ Club

Luv2Cruz outta NYC so I don't have to fly!

NCL Breakaway 3.29.15 Port Canaveral; Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Nassau, Bahamas Click Here!
M&G’s and More… Details Sign Up

Previous Cruises:
NCL Breakaway Fla, GSC, Nassau 3/14 Pics, Carnival Splendor GT, HMC, Nassau 10/13 Pics, Vids, Carnival Miracle Fla., Nassau, Freeport 11/12 Pics Vids,
NCL Jewel Fla., GSC, Nassau 5/11
Pics Washy, Washy Vid, Carnival Miracle "Ocean Blue Miracle Crew" CC Group E. Carib. 5/10 Pics, NCL Dawn "Kings Wharf Rats" CC Group Bermuda 6/09 Pics Vids, Carnival Destiny Southern Carib 5/08, NCL Crown Bermuda 8/06, Carnival Destiny Southern Carib 4/04,
Royal Caribbean Bermuda 8/02, Princess Western Carib 4/00, Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 8/97
S2C

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I like to mix the itineraries up but there is just only so many to chose from and as a result sometimes we end up going back to a place we've been to before. What we do try and do is do something different when we go to a place that we really are not that keen on. For instance last time we went to Cozumel (our third time) we went to a resort out on San Juan beach and had a great time.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

5 reasons to use Linux
http://brajeshwar.com/2008/choose-li...windows-vista/[/b]

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:17 AM
20,000+ Club

Question Bored much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs52 View Post
I cruise for the ship, not for the ports.
I'm getting like that myself.
Have always found The Ship to be one of the destinations.
Now it's getting like The Ship IS The Destination.

But I also find myself wondering why some people are constantly seeking novelty.
Do they cruise a different ship each time, as well?
Maybe they'll run out of new/different ships?
and that'll be the end of their cruising career until a fancy new-build comes along?