Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Member Cruise Reviews > Cruise Reviews of the Week

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Reviews of the Week

Every week we'll choose member cruise reviews to feature and if we choose yours, we will send you some cool Cruise Critic logo stuff!

Share Your Cruise Stories -- Click Here To Write A Review and maybe you'll win!

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Reviews of the Week by SuzCruise, kjquilts, ConnieG, Suchan & Regta!

Every Thursday, we'll randomly select five cruise reviews to feature here! Plus, we'll send each member a Cruise Critic logo item. We hope they enjoy it!

Silver Shadow Beautiful Alaska with gorgeous service! by SuzCruise
This is a review of the Silver Shadow cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. It will also be a bit of a comparison of this cruise with Regent Seven Seas, simply because that is the line we have cruised most often and comparisons just happen naturally. I'll post this as a review as well, but it seemed like a good idea to post it here for those planning. A bit about us, we are in our early 40s and this is our 7th cruise but our first with Silverseas. As I look back over this now it is quite long, and I apologize for my verbosity! We started it just making notes while on the cruise, and it has really taken on a life of its own! Pre-cruise: We spent a couple of days in Denali park doing it on our own. We were there during the short shoulder season when the park road is only open to mile 29. You can either take the Teklanika tour on a bus or you can drive to the same point in your own car. We did it on our own. The road is very well maintained and nice and wide so you can stop as you please and there is always room for others to go around you. Continue reading... The Only Way To Go

Norwegian Sun Outstanding Trip to Alaska on the Norwegian Sun by kjquilts
This is new itinerary for Norwegian this year - Sun alternating Vancouver BC to Whittier AK and then Whittier AK to Vancouver BC with slight itinerary changes on the return trip. Our Northbound itinerary was Monday - Vancouver BC - Tuesday Cruising Inside Passage - Wednesday Ketchikan 7 to 4 - Thursday Juneau 10 to 8 - Friday Skagway 7 to 8 - Saturday Glacier Bay - Sunday Hubbard Glacier - Monday Whittier AK. We thought the scenery was just amazing - much better than our previous round trip Alaska out of Seattle. The mountains are glorious. Only had a little drizzle a couple of times - most days the high was in high 50's or low 60's but Anchorage was an amazing 79. Seas were very smooth. There were four of us 60 someones on this sailing - myself, dh and our two best friends. We shared bow balcony stateroom 1002 which was just perfect for the Alaska one way itinerary. We took stretchy bands to tie the curtains back for better view. All of our luggage fit under the bed. It was our turn for the real bed but we were told couch was comfortable as bed without egg crate. Supplied pillows were on the firm side but received soft one without any problem. Continue reading... Outstanding Trip to Alaska on the Norwegian Sun

Westerdam Aboard the Westerdam in Alaska by ConnieG
This LONG review of my Westerdam, Alaskan Cruise on June 1, 2013 has a lot of helpful advice and I hope I have demonstrated discernment that includes the great experiences and the ones that need improvement. My hope is that this review will help you make great choices and stay on budget. I love to get my money's worth! We chose HAL Westerdam to Alaska because we wanted to try out HAL after noting that it has many fans and were expecting just a tad above NCL and RCCL. The Westerdam has many nice features, but HAL comes in as number three. BTW, a customer rep from HAL just called as I was writing this review, so I have to give their website, my booking experience and customer service a very high grade. Continue reading... Aboard the Westerdam in Alaska

Freedom of the Seas Fantastic Family Vacation on Freedom of the Seas! by Suchan
BACKGROUND: Our family (my husband, my kids 19 and 12, and I) love to travel internationally and usually opt for a DIY "cultural" vacation rather than cruising. However, we decided to give cruising a try, despite the tendency for a couple of us to get motion sickness and for my daughter to have lots of issues with food allergies. We chose RCCL's Freedom of the Seas based on terrific reviews. EMBARKATION: Embarkation was pretty efficient, considering the number of passengers . After my husband dropped us off with the rental car and returned to the terminal, we entered with our baggage and did not realize that porters were supposed to take our bags to the ship. After asking a number of RCCL personnel how to give our bags to porters, we were advised by other seasoned passengers to walk onto the ship with our bags to avoid having to go back through security. This is the only fault I found with the cruise line; the RCCL personnel at the terminal only knew their own jobs and did not know how to resolve the issue. Not a huge problem, as we ended up storing our bags in our staterooms while they were still being cleaned. Continue reading... Fantastic Family Vacation on Freedom of the Seas!

Star Princess When your biggest complaint is the scrambled eggs . . . by Regta
First time with Princess and first time to Alaska, and we would recommend this cruise and cruise line. We have only sailed with NCL before, and we found the overall quality of Princess to be at least a half a cut above. This was just the second sailing to Alaska for the season, so the value was great, and we could not have asked for better weather. We enjoyed every port, especially Skagway (the train trip was spectacular!), and the scenic cruising day to Sawyer Glacier was breathtaking! Our cruise director and the naturalist on board added a lot to the cruise. Both were locals, offering narration, whale and other wildlife sightings and information about ports and local people that we found interesting. We decided to go with a balcony room and were really glad we spent the extra money. The scenery right outside was so beautiful that we sat on our balcony with binoculars and cameras until the sun went down almost every night, finding this to be far better entertainment than whatever was being offered elsewhere on the ship. Continue reading... When your biggest complaint is the scrambled eggs . . .

Why not share your own cruise stories by writing and submitting your review! Your could be featured, and *you* could be wearing some logo stuff on your next cruise!

Write a Cruise Review

Last edited by Admin; June 19th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.