Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Coffee Reviews from Celebrity Millennium?

Coffee can make or break my day - can anyone tell me how the regular drip coffee is on board? I typically drink a fresh ground french roast. I'm considering bringing Starbucks Via and ordering hot water. Can anyone give me a review?
Thanks in advance!

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bring the Via. It's small and light and you'll be prepared if you don't like the coffee

Last edited by WestLakeGirl; June 19th, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbyOR View Post
Coffee can make or break my day - can anyone tell me how the regular drip coffee is on board? I typically drink a fresh ground french roast. I'm considering bringing Starbucks Via and ordering hot water. Can anyone give me a review?
Thanks in advance!
I'm just like you, and start my day exactly the same way. Dining room and room service coffee on all the X ships is the pits, so I order hot water and plenty of half&half with my room service breakfast and enjoy my Starbucks's Via French Roast. After breakfast, and once I am up and about on the ship I go to the Cafe for a breve latte or a mocha. BTW, Costco usually has multipacks of Via at one third less than from Starbucks directly.

Liesa

"To move, to breathe, to fly, to float; to gain all while you give; to roam the roads of lands remote; To travel is to live." - Hans Christian Andersen

Cunard QE2-1980-Transatlantic
K-D Line Deutschland-1980-Rhine Cruise
Royal Viking Line-1986-Alaska
RCCL-various-1999, 2001, 2002-Caribbean
CostaAtlantica-2000-Caribbean
Celebrity Solstice-10/30/2009-Eastern Med
Celebrity Eclipse-2/5/2011-Western Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette-11/4/2011-Pre-Inaugural 2-day
Celebrity Silhouette-4/22/2012-Transatlantic to Rome
Celebrity Summit-9/2/2012-Bayonne to Bermuda RT
Celebrity Summit-10/20/2012-Bayonne to San Juan
Celebrity Reflection-11/18/2012-Inaugural Transatlantic
Celebrity Sihouette-5/11/2013-Venice, Adriatic & Croatia
Celebrity Infinity-08/16/2013-Norwegian Fjords
Celebrity Infinity-11/22/2013-Panama Canal Eastbound
Celebrity Solstice-4/11/2014-Sydney to Hawaii, Transpacific b2b
Celebrity Solstice-4/28/2014-Hawaii to Vancouver, B.C., Transpacific b2b
Celebrity Equinox-10/27/2014-Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Coffee makes my day...and the regular coffee on the Millennium does NOT make my day start well ! Thus my frequent visits to Cafe al Bacio !!

I am sure some others will agree, and still others will find that the coffee was satisfactory to their tastes.

If you don't like espresso based drinks (or want to pay for them)...take the Via !!

Woody

Last edited by rwr235; June 19th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Regular coffee on Celebrity still beats Starbucks, although thatmis not exactly difficult.

Cafe al Bacio serves good quality European Espresso style coffee.

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
5,000+ Club

I'll quote myself from an earlier thread:

"How is the coffe? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.'

Old June 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisestitch View Post

"How is the coffe? Here's an anecdote. Was sitting yesterday at a luncheon with five other people. Everyone had coffee. The waiter poured all from the same carafe. The woman on my right said, oh that's good coffee. The man on my left said, that coffee is way too strong, and poured some water into his cup. The woman across from me said, this coffee is really bitter. Her husband asked, why can't you make coffee this good. The woman next to him made a face and said that it tasted stale to her. I thought it was too weak.

So how's the coffee on board? Probably too strong, too weak, too bitter, too stale, too hot and too cold.'
Good answer!

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, Cruisestitch - I totally get that but Thursday and rwr get me and my coffee habits so I'm heading to Costco today. Thank you for all of your replies!

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Coffee makes my day...that's way I don't have instant out of a freeze dried pack I've brought on board.

Just go and buy one at the cafe...
Princess.
NCL (never again).
CTC Lines (USSR - actual wasn't bad).
Celebrity Cruises.
Chandris Lines.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Solstice leaving Auckland 17/3/2013

Solstice anchored in Akaroa, New Zealand harbour -March 2013

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland close to fraser Island (World Heritage Island)

Good to read all these previous reports & replies. This was going to be my next question regarding our next cruise of Celebrity Millenium, how good is the coffee from the ship's cafe?
My wife & I have a coffee once each day, and always at a cafe in the bayside town in Queensland, Australia. We are fortunate to have some good Baristas in our town, and also we have cafes situated very close to Bay's beaches. One cafe owner actually serves take away coffee to persons seated/or lying on the beach (now that's service I say)
On the our last cruise, Sun Princess, we had coffee once each day (enough caffeine we reckon) in the ship's cafe, and strangely enough, it was quite passable. We both like Cappucino style, with a good sprinkling of chocolate on the top, and it must be extra hot, without burning the milk. A tall order, but a good barista can get it right.
Not sure about American style coffee's - but I am sure we will find it okay.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebay View Post
Good to read all these previous reports & replies. This was going to be my next question regarding our next cruise of Celebrity Millenium, how good is the coffee from the ship's cafe?
My wife & I have a coffee once each day, and always at a cafe in the bayside town in Queensland, Australia. We are fortunate to have some good Baristas in our town, and also we have cafes situated very close to Bay's beaches. One cafe owner actually serves take away coffee to persons seated/or lying on the beach (now that's service I say)
On the our last cruise, Sun Princess, we had coffee once each day (enough caffeine we reckon) in the ship's cafe, and strangely enough, it was quite passable. We both like Cappucino style, with a good sprinkling of chocolate on the top, and it must be extra hot, without burning the milk. A tall order, but a good barista can get it right.
Not sure about American style coffee's - but I am sure we will find it okay.

Hi,

The machine brewed coffee in the Ocean View Cafe (buffet) leaves much to be desired...but the staff (Baristas) at Cafe al Bacio make some great espresso based coffees...so you should be good-to-go with your daily cappuccino ! And they'll make it any way you desire....you might just find yourself...wanting a second cup !! (or in my case...8 or 9....no such thing as enough caffeine)

Enjoy

Woody

Last edited by rwr235; July 3rd, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisestitch View Post

That proves that it depends on where the coffee is in the pot. Apparently at different levels it is different because of gravity. The top is probably weaker and it get stronger towards the bottom. If it stands too long it will be bitter so the coffee at the very bottom will be bitter because it has been in the pot the longest. The coffee on the top will be the hottest and etc.

and doing more of doing less therefore I am working harder.

Warning: You will not be able to drink unlimited drinks all day long with the drink packages unless you start very early in the day. 🍸🍻🍺🍧☕

Important Health Information: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN 🙌

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

I do not like the coffee they serve for room service. I bring my own Via and get hot milk on my breakfast order to make my own latte.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Which coffees are included with the 123 promo?

Last edited by Travel2Learn; July 3rd, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel2Learn View Post
Which coffees are included with the 123 promo?
All of the coffees at Al Bacio except the ones with alchohol, my personal mid-morning fav is an Affogatto! Can't wait, only 352 more days, darn!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland close to fraser Island (World Heritage Island)

Thank you, each & everyone for their advice. Firstly, I should have stated that we only have coffee once or twice in a day (2nd coffee well after the first)
At home, when we go for coffee, we pick places, which not only serves great coffee - we like the brand of coffee they have - but MOST OF ALL, the cafe or its location should have ambiance, ie, nice location/furnishings, or more so what does it look out onto, water/ocean views. To us, having a coffee, is a pleasant quiet time where we both discuss things, enjoy the view, and relax.
We have one cafe here in the bay, that serves Di Bella coffee, but also has "guest coffees", eg. coffee from Mexico, New Guinea, & other exotic locations. The Barista at this Cafe, is passionate about making the best coffee for his customers, he experiments with various parts of his coffee machine to produce a darn good coffee. He loves to talk to us on how he does it. I told him, "You can't improve upon perfection" (he smiled)
Well, once again, thanks each & every one for their advice, we will certainly visit Cafe al Bacio each day.

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I think Cafe Al Bacio makes better espresso than Starbucks, and the snacks are some of the best desserts on the ship. They make lattes (caramel and mocha I think, I didn't order) and cappuccino (I drank 4 to 6 a day). I'm a coffee snob with my own espresso machine and had no complaints with the specialty coffee. The drip stuff in the buffet was undrinkable though, IMO. I hope this helps!
August 2012: Celebrity Millenium Alaska Northbound
December 2013: Celebrity Infinity FLL to Valparaiso, Chile (Panama Canal repositioning)

Cruise Bucket List
✓ Alaska
✓ Panama Canal
Baltic Sea
Transpacific or Transatlantic
Egyptian / Middle East
Eastern Med
Southeast Asia

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default De-caf?

Hi, I love a nice coffee and could drink it all day if it wasn't for the caffeine. Do they do any decaf options in Cafe Al Bacio?

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Do they use fresh milk in the cappuccinos at Cafe Al Bacio on the Millennium?
We were on the Solstice in April and they used long life milk which affected the taste of the coffees. They were still OK but would have been much better with fresh milk. I asked why and they said they couldn't source enough fresh milk in Sydney!
We are going on the Millennium in November and hoping they will use fresh milk.
Celebrity Millennium, 20 Nov, 2013 - Sydney to Singapore
Radiance of the Seas, 27th January, 2014 - Tasmanian Explorer
Celebrity Century, 29th March, 2014 - Pacific Coastal
Celebrity Century, 5th April, 2014 - Pacific Coastal
Celebrity Infinity, 14 April, 2014 - Panama Canal
Celebrity Solstice, 27 January, 2015 - Sydney to Auckland

Old July 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Coffee prices, beverage packages?

My wife and I are going on Constellation in Nov. We are serious coffee geeks (home roasting, espressos for me and caps for her) who can just survive on on Starbucks if we have to. From what I'm reading here we'll be going to the specialty shop.

So, my question is how much these coffees cost and how they relate to the beverage packages. Neither of us drinks soda, juices, or mixed drinks and in her case no alcoholic beverages. She drinks probably 6 caps a day at home so I'm trying to figure out if one of the beverage plans would be good for her or me. (I'll deal with my wine habit as a separate issue.)

Also she has a hand-pumped espresso maker that uses boiling water and capsules to make OK espresso, but I gather that Celebrity forbids in-room boiling of water?