Lobster and adventure in Halifax or Saint John?

Boarding the carnival Glory with my husbandbon August 5th stopping in Halifax and Saint John. I saw carnival has an excursion including kayaking and a lobster bake. However, I feel it's pretty pricey. Does anyone know of any excursions similar or just plain adventurous and cool like that that are not cruise line sponsored? Looking to save money and have a great time! We're both 27 and not looking to sit on a boring tour bus all day. Thanks!

Boarding the carnival Glory with my husbandbon August 5th stopping in Halifax and Saint John. I saw carnival has an excursion including kayaking and a lobster bake. However, I feel it's pretty pricey. Does anyone know of any excursions similar or just plain adventurous and cool like that that are not cruise line sponsored? Looking to save money and have a great time! We're both 27 and not looking to sit on a boring tour bus all day. Thanks!

You can easily kayak on your own at Rockwood Park and have a lobster dinner or roll from several places near the ship - and save the cruise line mark up. If you are an adventurous couple perhaps zip lining or a jet boat thrill ride at reversing falls would interest you?

This may not fit the budget but great reviews and lots of fun!!! You can also get them to stop at Ryers' lobster pound for the freshest, best flavor and price steamed to order!! Also have mussels, clams and oysters all eaten casually on picnic bench on the dock.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154976-d2166457-Reviews-Bluenose_Sidecar_Tours-Halifax_Halifax_Regional_Municipality_Nova_Scotia.html

We also are considering options for Halifax during this port stop. Great Earth Expeditions is our top pick. The tours they offer look unique and I have been in contact with the owner, fast reply and we were well informed about the tour and confident this will be our choice in Halifax.

Here is the link to their website.

http://www.greatearthexpeditions.com/

In Halifax and Saint John next week. Our choices were: Great Earth Expeditions to Peggy's Cover while in Halifax, and renting a car and driving to St. Martins, the sea caves, and the Fundy Trail Parkway while in Saint John. Will try to post a report when we return.

Returned yesterday from the Glory We did our own lobster bake in Halifax Rented a car in Halifax IATA Alamo across the street in the rail station for $75 including tax and gas Saw Peggy's Cove and onto Ryers for lobsters For 7 1.25 lb lobsters one pound scallops muscles and a couple of sodas for only 84$ for 4 people Yes we ordered a lot of seafood Saw the Titanic cemetery on the way back We returned the car by 3pm and was able to go to the Titanic Museum before the 5.30 on board time So we did our own excursion not including museum for myself for $40 $ pp

did the ReversingbFalls Jet Boat on our own for about $48 pp plus $10 cab each way An amazing exciting once in a lifetime experience and I highly recommend!!!

Returned yesterday from the Glory We did our own lobster bake in Halifax Rented a car in Halifax IATA Alamo across the street in the rail station for $75 including tax and gas Saw Peggy's Cove and onto Ryers for lobsters For 7 1.25 lb lobsters one pound scallops muscles and a couple of sodas for only 84$ for 4 people Yes we ordered a lot of seafood Saw the Titanic cemetery on the way back We returned the car by 3pm and was able to go to the Titanic Museum before the 5.30 on board time So we did our own excursion not including museum for myself for $40 $ pp

did the ReversingbFalls Jet Boat on our own for about $48 pp plus $10 cab each way An amazing exciting once in a lifetime experience and I highly recommend!!!

We are thinking of possibly doing this too. Just curious though, did you purchase insurance for the rental car or did your own insurance cover you?

This sounds like a great shore Halifax shore excursion, I think we do this as well.

I think we'll rent a car in Saint Johns as well instead of the jet boat.

We are thinking of possibly doing this too. Just curious though, did you purchase insurance for the rental car or did your own insurance cover you?

My insurance is through Progressive. I emailed them through their website. The response was that the rental car was covered through my policy but I needed request a Canadian ID Card to carry while traveling in Canada.

We waived the insurance using our Chase Saphire Mastercard.Wealso prebought 1/2 tank of gas from Alamo which was cheaper than filling up prior to returning it the gas station across the street was actually more expensive)

Archived