Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old June 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Breakaway - MDR Question

I was recently on the Breakaway and one of the things I disliked most was that each night we waited 30-45 minutes for a table in the MDR for dinner. Since I have been back Iíve heard people mention making reservations. Could we have made reservations? I didnít see this mentioned at all in the daily. I donít know if it matters, but we were a party of three.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug18 View Post
I was recently on the Breakaway and one of the things I disliked most was that each night we waited 30-45 minutes for a table in the MDR for dinner. Since I have been back Iíve heard people mention making reservations. Could we have made reservations? I didnít see this mentioned at all in the daily. I donít know if it matters, but we were a party of three.
I believe reservations can only be made for large parties.

What time did you go to dinner? I believe the time has a lot to do with the wait.
Just returned yesterday and never waited more than 5 - 10 min. however, we always were there between 5:30 and 6 p.m. Only ate at the Manhattan room once....it seems to big and reminds me of a wedding reception dinner room! LOL

Completed:
May 2014 NCL Getaway - 7 night Caribbean
Feb. 2014 NCL Star - 14 night Panama Canal to Miami
Jan. 2014 NCL Star - 14 night Panama Canal to LA
Oct. 2013 NCL Sun - 11 night Southern Caribbean
June 2013 NCL Breakaway - 7 night Bermuda
Jan. 2013 NCL Pearl - 7 night Caribbean
Sept. 2012 Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas
March 2012 NCL Dawn - 11 night Southern
Jan 2012 Navigator of the Seas-RCL-7 night Caribbean
Nov. 2011 NCL Star - 7 night Caribbean
Oct. 2011 Golden Princes - 14 night Hawaiian
June 2011 NCL Spirit - 7 night Caribbean
April 2011 NCL Pearl - 7 night Caribbean
Jan. 2011 Jewel of the Seas Ė RCL - 10 night Caribbean and Panama
Oct. 2010 Disney Wonder - 5 night Bahamas
Sept.2010 NCL Epic - 7 night Caribbean

Old June 25th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We would normally go to dinner around 8 and always had a half hour to 45 minute wait. All three of the MDR's had the same wait time each night. We ate at Savor one night and the other nights at Manhattan. I actually preferred the Manhattan as the night we ate at Savor the service was terrible so we stayed away from it. It might have been just that night but we were happier in Manhattan.

Old June 25th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I actually preferred the Manhattan as the night we ate at Savor the service was terrible so we stayed away from it. It might have been just that night but we were happier in Manhattan.
we didn't have to wait long to be seated (part of 5 eating between sometime between 7-8) but the servers in the MDRs were awful to just ok (except the last night in Savor when we had an excellent server)...the first two nights (Savor and Taste) the waiters never introduced themselves and barely even acknowledged we were there...basically they filled the water glasses, dropped off the bread, then came back and said what do you want to order, delivered the food, and didn't come back until dropping off the desert menu...no introductions, offering of wine or other drinks, telling us the specials, refilling water glasses, etc...the second night we made our concerns known to the asst. matri'd when she came by (we didn't seek her out) who tried to correct the situation but getting us a new waitress and offering us a bottle of wine the next night when we told her we would be in the Manhattan Room ( the table next to us also complained about the waiter to her as he was rude to them also)...service in the MR the third night was slightly better but not by much

Old June 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's funny you mention the specials as they never told you what they were unless you asked which I found very odd.

Old June 27th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It's funny you mention the specials as they never told you what they were unless you asked which I found very odd.

I guess it must have been the server because each time we were told what the specials were without having to ask.

Completed:
May 2014 NCL Getaway - 7 night Caribbean
Feb. 2014 NCL Star - 14 night Panama Canal to Miami
Jan. 2014 NCL Star - 14 night Panama Canal to LA
Oct. 2013 NCL Sun - 11 night Southern Caribbean
June 2013 NCL Breakaway - 7 night Bermuda
Jan. 2013 NCL Pearl - 7 night Caribbean
Sept. 2012 Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas
March 2012 NCL Dawn - 11 night Southern
Jan 2012 Navigator of the Seas-RCL-7 night Caribbean
Nov. 2011 NCL Star - 7 night Caribbean
Oct. 2011 Golden Princes - 14 night Hawaiian
June 2011 NCL Spirit - 7 night Caribbean
April 2011 NCL Pearl - 7 night Caribbean
Jan. 2011 Jewel of the Seas Ė RCL - 10 night Caribbean and Panama
Oct. 2010 Disney Wonder - 5 night Bahamas
Sept.2010 NCL Epic - 7 night Caribbean

Old June 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default what specials were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpecorari View Post
I guess it must have been the server because each time we were told what the specials were without having to ask.
Could you please post what specials were? Thank you.

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just got back today- the back page of daily under "Reservations" states "Reservations can be made for Manhattan, Taste, Savor and all specialty restaurants by visiting the reservation desk in the Atrium from 8:00am-5:00pm or by dialing 050."

I made reservations for 10 but based on above it seems you can reserve for any size party

Old July 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I too just got back today, and we were a party of 6. I was told that I had to be a party of 10 to make a reservation, but when we got there (manhattan room) others had reservations. I know you could not make them over the touch screens. We never had to wait, but we too were down by 6pm. The waiter in the MR was wonderful, one night we had good service in Taste but we ate another night in savor and he was plain awful. And yes, I did find that you had to ask for the specials- here are the three I can recall:
first night- was a red snapper with beurre blanc type sauce which was rather tasty
second night- was a cocounut curry chicken and shrimp which I thought was very good.
last night was a tilapia but nobody ordered it so I can't tell you how it was.

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the June 2nd sailing and just looked at my daily to see if I missed the information about making a reservation for any of the MDR's and it is not listed. Perhaps they have changed it since the earlier sailings. The daily states the hours the reservation desk is open but doesn't mention any of the MDR's.

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

are the daily specials not listed on the menu?

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

No. Every night there is a regional speciality that you need to ask the waiter about

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope they do open up reservations for all size parties. It would alleviate the lines, disgruntled and hungry guests and the staff would know what to expect and can prepare better. Not exactly freestyle cruising but much preferable to waiting 30-45 minutes just to be seated.

We are going on the Breakaway this coming Sunday the 14th and that is the only thing worrying me about the trip.

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Granted we ate early ( like 6) but we did the main dining rooms three nights or maybe even four and never waited. We were a party of six with a wheelchair and were easily accommodated. Hopefully that takes some pressure off you!

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

We sailed the Breakaway on May 12. One day we were out and about and decided we should get some lunch. We stopped by Savor about 10 minutes after they closed. We were ready to just go seek out the other options, but the manager insisted it was no problem and that we come in and enjoy ourselves. The staff was just as friendly and warm.

We were really impressed. These crew members had already worked several hours and had other duties to do in order to prepare the restaurant for dinner. It is this kind of service that helps set NCL above some of their rivals.

**Pictures from our 2013 Breakaway Cruise to Bermuda!** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeVK...ature=youtu.be

Wedding website: http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/
Wedding Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079834
NCL Getaway 4/2015
NCL Breakaway 4/2014
NCL Breakaway 5/2013
NCL Pearl 4/2012
NCL Epic 2/2011
NCL Pearl 2/2009
NCL Spirit 9/2006
Celebrity Summit 9/2002

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default MDR specialties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandpan View Post
I too just got back today, and we were a party of 6. I was told that I had to be a party of 10 to make a reservation, but when we got there (manhattan room) others had reservations. I know you could not make them over the touch screens. We never had to wait, but we too were down by 6pm. The waiter in the MR was wonderful, one night we had good service in Taste but we ate another night in savor and he was plain awful. And yes, I did find that you had to ask for the specials- here are the three I can recall:
first night- was a red snapper with beurre blanc type sauce which was rather tasty
second night- was a cocounut curry chicken and shrimp which I thought was very good.
Thank you very much for the info!

Old July 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Could the other people with reservations have been suiteguests? The concierge reserved a table for us in the MDR on the Jade a few years ago. Since there was no queue, the reservation wasn't necessary. If there had been a queue, we had passed it since we had a reservation.
2008 Norwegian Jewel, Transatlantic, 11-nights, Balcony (10034)
2006 Norwegian Dawn, Western Caribbean, 11-nights, Balcony (9576)
2004 Norwegian Wind, Hawaii, 11-nights, Superior Oceanview (0010)

Old July 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Granted we ate early ( like 6) but we did the main dining rooms three nights or maybe even four and never waited. We were a party of six with a wheelchair and were easily accommodated. Hopefully that takes some pressure off you!
Oh that is wonderful to hear! Thank you! We are a party of 7 with a 1 year old which will require a booster seat.

Old July 9th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just off the 4th of July sailing and never had to wait. We were a party of 3 and made reservations for 6pm every night.
Rotterdam 1979, Big Red Boat 1989, Regal Empress 1996, CCL Victory 2000 & 2001, NCL Dawn 2003 Twice, NCL Dawn 2004, NCL Dawn 2005, NCL Dawn 5/06 & NCL Spirit 9/06, And NCL Dawn 6/07, NCL Spirit 5/08, Gem 1/09, Dawn 8/09, CCL Dream 11/09,
NCL Jewel 5/10, Gem 11/10, Gem 1/11, Jewel 5/11, CCL Glory 7/11, Disney Dream 9/11, NCL Epic 11/11, NCL Jewel 3/12, NCL Star 4/12, Celebrity Summit 7/12, NCL Jewel 10/28-B2B-11/4/12, NCL Jewel 3/13, NCL Breakaway 6/13, NCL Gem 8/13, NCL Breakaway 10/13, NCL Breakaway 3/14, NCL Gem 4/14, CCL Splendor 5/28, NEXT UP:

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just got off the ship on July 7. We were a party of 6 and ate in each of the dining rooms. We were there between 6:30 and 7 and never had a wait. I did ask about making reservations because I thought the Manhattan room would be crowded. I was told you could make them, but when I called it was after 5 and they won't take a reservation once the dining room is open. Didn't matter, as we were seated quickly.

There is a section on the menu that says regional specialty. Can't miss it! If your server doesn't mention it, ask what it is.

One night we had reservations for Rock of Ages. I don't remember what time we got to the dining room, but I was worried about cutting it close. I told the hostess and she said as long as we ordered dinner only, no apps or dessert, we would make the show. The servers knew and we made the show in plenty of time.