Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default drop off for terminal question

we were thinking of having a friend drop us off- looking at the port fees, it seems as though there is a 30 drop off fee? What is that a fee for? If they are just dropping us and going- is there a fee?

Old June 24th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were dropped off last week and there was no fee. There was no place for pick up except across the street.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Old June 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkandpan View Post
we were thinking of having a friend drop us off- looking at the port fees, it seems as though there is a 30 drop off fee? What is that a fee for? If they are just dropping us and going- is there a fee?
That's a parking fee, not a drop off fee. No one (or at least almost no one) parks their car at the cruise terminal when dropping off passengers. They pull up to the terminal door (or alternatively pull over to the curb on the opposite (uptown) side of 12th Ave., drop off their passengers and leave.

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:41 AM
5,000+ Club

Question I don't know what you mean.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcuse View Post
We were dropped off last week and there was no fee. There was no place for pick up except across the street.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
.....you don't have to be picked up across the street from the terminal, you can be picked up at EITHER the upper or lower access road to the terminal.

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

wasiii

Fear - Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea!

Coral Princess - 7.31.06 - Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Whittier
CCL Victory - 8.31.06 - New York, Halifax, Canada, New York
CCL Miracle - 8.31.07 - New York, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, New York
CCL Victory - 6.10.08 - New York, St. John, Canada, New York
CCL Inspiration - 8.21.08 - Tampa, Cozumel, Tampa
CCL Inspiration - 8.25.08 - Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Tampa (Half way to Platinum!)
CCL Destiny - 11.17.08 - Miami, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Miami
CCL Miracle - 12.7.08 - Ft. Lauderdale, St. Maarten (Happy Birthday to Me), St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Ft. Lauderdale
CCL Miracle - 4.16.09 - New York, Bermuda (overnight), Newport RI, New York
CCL Fantasy - 8.27.09 - New Orleans, Cozumel, New Orleans
CCL Fantasy - 8.31.09 - New Orleans, Progreso, Cozumel, New Orleans (Platinum 3 years to the day since my first Carnival cruise!)
RCI Monarch of the Seas - 12.14.09 - Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau, Miami
CCL Freedom - 8.28.10 - Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama, Ft. Lauderdale
CCL Miracle - 8.2.11 - New York, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, New York
NCL Star - 8.19.12 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York
CCL Miracle - 12.16.12 (Doomsday) - New York, Port Canaveral FL, Freeport, Nassau, New York
NCL Breakaway - 8.25.13 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York

Countdown Widgets

NCL Breakaway - 9.14.14 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York

Website Countdown Clock

NCL Sun - 6.01.15 - Seward, Icy Straight Pt, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Vancouver

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:46 AM
50,000+ Club

There are no drop off fees.

Keith

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:13 AM
20,000+ Club

I think you are confusing parking versus drop off fee.

Old June 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasiii View Post
.....you don't have to be picked up across the street from the terminal, you can be picked up at EITHER the upper or lower access road to the terminal.

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about.

wasiii
We just arrived home on Sunday & at disembarkation you can only be picked up across the street from the terminal. First time we've ever seen this while cruising the Port of NY. All was normal at embarkation.
Carnival Miracle - April 2012
Carnival Glory - July 2011
Carnival Miracle - April 2010
NCL Pearl - September 09
NCL Spirit - July 08
Carnival Destiny - April 99
Carnival Destiny - Oct. 98
Carnival Sensation - April 97
Carnival Fantasy - May 94

Old June 25th, 2013, 09:08 AM
5,000+ Club

Unhappy First time I heard about this too Tink.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink35 View Post
We just arrived home on Sunday & at disembarkation you can only be picked up across the street from the terminal. First time we've ever seen this while cruising the Port of NY. All was normal at embarkation.
.....I always had someone pick me up right outside the terminal, either upstairs or downstairs. This is completely foreign to me.

Hope they change it back to normal by September 1.

wasiii

Fear - Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea!

Coral Princess - 7.31.06 - Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Whittier
CCL Victory - 8.31.06 - New York, Halifax, Canada, New York
CCL Miracle - 8.31.07 - New York, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, New York
CCL Victory - 6.10.08 - New York, St. John, Canada, New York
CCL Inspiration - 8.21.08 - Tampa, Cozumel, Tampa
CCL Inspiration - 8.25.08 - Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Tampa (Half way to Platinum!)
CCL Destiny - 11.17.08 - Miami, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Miami
CCL Miracle - 12.7.08 - Ft. Lauderdale, St. Maarten (Happy Birthday to Me), St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Ft. Lauderdale
CCL Miracle - 4.16.09 - New York, Bermuda (overnight), Newport RI, New York
CCL Fantasy - 8.27.09 - New Orleans, Cozumel, New Orleans
CCL Fantasy - 8.31.09 - New Orleans, Progreso, Cozumel, New Orleans (Platinum 3 years to the day since my first Carnival cruise!)
RCI Monarch of the Seas - 12.14.09 - Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau, Miami
CCL Freedom - 8.28.10 - Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama, Ft. Lauderdale
CCL Miracle - 8.2.11 - New York, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, New York
NCL Star - 8.19.12 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York
CCL Miracle - 12.16.12 (Doomsday) - New York, Port Canaveral FL, Freeport, Nassau, New York
NCL Breakaway - 8.25.13 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York

Countdown Widgets

NCL Breakaway - 9.14.14 - New York, Kings Wharf, Bermuda (3 days), New York

Website Countdown Clock

NCL Sun - 6.01.15 - Seward, Icy Straight Pt, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Vancouver

Old June 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ouch. That is good to know, as we normally take the elevator to the second floor and grab a cab. That changes things a bit for us.

Thanks for sharing.

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure why you had a problem. We got home Sunday as well, and the porter took us to the shuttle bus area, and even left his cart there for us to sit on. My husband pulled up to the curb in an empty shuttle bus slot, we loaded, and left. No problem at all. Wonder if using a porter makes a difference?

terry

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Not sure why you had a problem. We got home Sunday as well, and the porter took us to the shuttle bus area, and even left his cart there for us to sit on. My husband pulled up to the curb in an empty shuttle bus slot, we loaded, and left. No problem at all. Wonder if using a porter makes a difference?

terry

Old June 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel2 View Post

terry
Unfortunately, there are some workers at the pier who will try to force you to go across the street. I guess it's their way of trying to cut down on traffic entering the cruise terminal. After Hurricane Sandy all pick ups were being made across the street until all the facilities at the pier including elevators and escalators were repaired. After repairs were completed, pickups at the pier resumed.

Unless orders are being given by a police officer, you should feel free to go upstairs if you want.

And yes, it does help to hire a porter. They'll take you where you want to go.

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
Unfortunately, there are some workers at the pier who will try to force you to go across the street. I guess it's their way of trying to cut down on traffic entering the cruise terminal. After Hurricane Sandy all pick ups were being made across the street until all the facilities at the pier including elevators and escalators were repaired. After repairs were completed, pickups at the pier resumed.

Unless orders are being given by a police officer, you should feel free to go upstairs if you want.

And yes, it does help to hire a porter. They'll take you where you want to go.
Maybe it depends on the time? Especially with passengers arriving for embarkation. We were off at 9:20 and used a porter as well. We did park at the pier but officers were also there directing anyone who was to be picked up to go across the street. Not sure what was going on.
Carnival Miracle - April 2012
Carnival Glory - July 2011
Carnival Miracle - April 2010
NCL Pearl - September 09
NCL Spirit - July 08
Carnival Destiny - April 99
Carnival Destiny - Oct. 98
Carnival Sensation - April 97
Carnival Fantasy - May 94

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Maybe it depends on the time? Especially with passengers arriving for embarkation. We were off at 9:20 and used a porter as well. We did park at the pier but officers were also there directing anyone who was to be picked up to go across the street. Not sure what was going on.
There usually aren't a large number of passengers arriving for embarkation at 9:20...that's typically an hour or more later.

I've given up trying to predict the directions they give departing passengers...it seems to change at whim. I'm willing to bet most of the port workes on the ground level insisting you have to cross the street to get picked up don't even know there's a taxi stand one level up.

Last edited by njhorseman; June 26th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old June 27th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll be traveling solo in October. If you need to go across the street to be pick up by the car service, will the porters bring your luggage across the street. I won't be able to manage my luggage by myself. Last time I sailed out of NY the porter brought me to a pick up location with numbers at each space. I called the car service, told them where I was, and it was so easy.

Explorer of the Seas 10/04/14
Explorer of the Seas 03/29/14
Explorer of the Seas 10/13/13
Explorer of the Seas 05/11/13
Explorer of the Seas 09/23/12
NCL Gem 04/08/12
Explorer of the Seas 09/24/11
Explorer of the Seas 10/09/10
Carnival Fantasy 2003
Oceanic 1975
Oceanic 1973