Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Newly Elite...how does free laundry work?

This is DH and my first cruise after attaining Elite status. Yippee!! How exactly does the free laundry work? Do I just stuff the clothes into the paper bag and fill out the form and do they know I'm Elite, or is there some other procedure I should follow? How long does it take to get the clothes back?

Upcoming: Hal Prinsendam, Amsterdam to Barcelona, Sept. 2014

Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Last edited by sunsetbeachgal; June 28th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:17 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
This is DH and my first cruise after attaining Elite status. Yippee!! How exactly does the free laundry work? Do I just stuff the clothes into the paper bag and fill out the form and do they know I'm Elite, or is there some other procedure I should follow?
Just stuff the bag and fill out the form. I never bother putting the $$ amount in, just the number of each type of item. They will catch that you're Elite but I put a bit squiggle down each side where the charges should be and write in big letters at the bottom, "Elite." I usually leave my bag on the bed before heading to dinner, mostly because I'm never sure what time I'll be up in the morning. The bag has to be out by 9am for the next day service. If I don't leave it out the night before, I stick it outside my door when I get up so it makes the 9am cut-off.

You do not get same day service with Elite to make sure you check the "Next day." Otherwise, you'll be charged the full amount for the rush service.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15 (NEW)
Another safari?

Last edited by Pam in CA; June 28th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Perfect! Thanks! My only other concern is the mini-bar, as we do not drink hard liquor, but I understand that I can trade in the little liquor bottles for soda, bottled water or beer, one for one. We are now both Elite...is there only one "set up" per cabin?

Carole

Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Last edited by sunsetbeachgal; June 28th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
5,000+ Club

Carole, congrats!

All that I can add to Pam's excellent synopsis is that we separate cleaning (aka dry cleaning) and laundry into two separate bags with two separate slips.

Don't worry about $ on the slip, but do make a big issue of number of items in the bag. I write it in the special instructions area, circle it and write Free Elite.

Laundry on the Emerald last year routinely stretched to 2 days (i.e. in by 9am Monday, back Wednesday evening). Hopefully you'll have better luck, but plan accordingly.

As for your minibar, yes you can get sodas and waters for the liquors and beer. As Astroflyer posted earlier, you can also get two coffee cards.

A Med cruise on a new ship as an Elite! Aren't you a happy camper..er, cruiser?

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:40 PM
40,000+ Club

Yes, one mini bar per cabin.

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks! My only other concern is the mini-bar, as we do not drink hard liquor, but I understand that I can trade in the little liquor bottles for soda, bottled water or beer, one for one. We are now both Elite...is there only one "set up" per cabin?

Carole
The set-up for two Elites in a room is two bottles/cans of each item. Identify what you don't want and phone Room Service. They will come and trade out the bottles you don't want, leaving cans/bottles of what you do want.

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Think all above have answered everything.

Just saying we do use two bags with we're sending out cleaning and laundry the same day and we do write Elite on the tags.

Enjoy!

LuLu
~~~~

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

hi Jeanne!

Yes, a good cruise to start off Elite with! I will definitely be checking out the pool and hot tub areas on the Royal, especially on the sea days and will report live if the internet isn't too slow, as some have reported it is. We are traveling with family members and have three inside cabins in a row near the forward staircase on Baja Deck, so balcony size and lack of center stair case won't affect us as much. I hope I love the ship...am looking forward to something different!

Last edited by sunsetbeachgal; June 28th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Old June 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
30,000+ Club

One other tip is that I take a photo of each slip so I can remember exactly what and how many went out when.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969

Upcoming:
Another safari?

Old June 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.
Joe

Last edited by waltd; June 28th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltd View Post
One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.Joe
I don't have Elite yet, but I noticed the same problem with shrinking in the self-service laundry. My clothes never fit at the end of the cruise as well as they did at the beginnning

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVeteran View Post
I don't have Elite yet, but I noticed the same problem with shrinking in the self-service laundry. My clothes never fit at the end of the cruise as well as they did at the beginnning
I have heard that there may be another reason for this.

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now Paul we all know the real reason. Bad material.

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
One other tip is that I take a photo of each slip so I can remember exactly what and how many went out when.
Aren't digital cameras great? Everyone has loads of new uses. Thank God we don't have to pay for developing any more.

Stan

Apr-76 Carib. 7d Fairwind *** Mar-78 Carib.10d Fairwind *** Feb-80 Carib. 14d Vistafjord *** Jan-85 Mex.7d Fairsky *** Mar-87 Carib. 11d Atlantic *** Jan-89 S.Pac. 14d Fair Princess *** Oct-90 Carib. 7d Song of America *** Jan-92 Trans-Pac. 6d Pacific Princess *** Jan-92 Hawaii-Tahiti 11d Pacific Princess *** Aug-93 Alaska 14d Star Princess *** Mar-94 Carib. 7d Horizon *** Apr-95 Trans-Atl. 19d Pacific Princess *** Apr-96 Orient 14d Golden Princess *** Dec-96 Carib. 7d Star Princess *** Jun-97 Bermuda 7d Zenith *** Jan-98 NZ- Aus. 14d Sky Princess *** Sep-98 Trans-Atl.13d Grand Princess *** Dec-99 Carib.7d Grand Princess Aug-01 Trans-Atl.16d Crown Princess *** Dec-01 Carib.7d Millenium *** Apr-02 Pan.Canal 14d Summit *** Nov-02 Carib. 7d Grand Princess *** Apr-03 Trans-Atl.14d Constellation *** Jul-03 Russia 11d Viking Kirov *** Feb-04 Aus.-Asia 18d Star Princess *** Jul-04 Yangtze 12d Viking Century Star *** Apr-05 Mexico 7d Diamond Princess *** Sep-06 Trans.-Atl. 15d Constellation *** Apr-07 Carib. 7d Caribbean Princess *** Jul-08 Baltic 10d Crown Princess *** Apr-09 Mexico 7d Sapphire Princess *** Nov-09 Trans-Atl. 14d Equinox *** Oct-10 Trans-Atl 16d Ruby Princess *** Oct-11 Trans-Atl. 14d Liberty of the Seas***Apr-12 Panama Canal 10d Island Princess***Nov-12 Trans-Atl. 16d Mariner of the Seas***Oct-13 Trans-Atl. 18d Royal Princess***Mar-14 Carib. 7d Celebrity Silhouette

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
Just stuff the bag and fill out the form. I never bother putting the $$ amount in, just the number of each type of item. They will catch that you're Elite but I put a bit squiggle down each side where the charges should be and write in big letters at the bottom, "Elite." I usually leave my bag on the bed before heading to dinner, mostly because I'm never sure what time I'll be up in the morning. The bag has to be out by 9am for the next day service. If I don't leave it out the night before, I stick it outside my door when I get up so it makes the 9am cut-off.

You do not get same day service with Elite to make sure you check the "Next day." Otherwise, you'll be charged the full amount for the rush service.
As usual, excellent suggestions from Pam.

We also write "ELITE" in big block letters on the bag as well as on the tag. We also leave the bag on the bed when we go to dinner and our room steward usually takes it when the bed is turned down. You will find laundry charges on your shipboard account, but they will be followed by equivalent credits categorized as type "LL-WASH RFD".

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Now Paul we all know the real reason. Bad material.
Yeah, bad material. That's what I figured.

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Carole
There is only one set up per cabin. You can also trade the entire set up for 2 coffee cards if that's your preference. Call room service to arrange the trade.

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
One side note about laundry that I have read on CC. They can be a bit hard on your cloths. Possible fading, shrinking has been reported. We have not had those issues but just be aware of what you send.
Joe
Even more fun is finding the little self adhesive tags they put on everything, I just found another one on DH shirt....we last sailed in January 2012! And he wears this shirt all the time!

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:29 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled2Trvl View Post
Even more fun is finding the little self adhesive tags they put on everything, I just found another one on DH shirt....we last sailed in January 2012! And he wears this shirt all the time!
I come across one every now and then too.

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickled2Trvl View Post
I found one just this morning.

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:
Another safari?