I have one brother and his wife who have also cruised a lot but no-one else in the family has. (I've got 11 other brothers and sisters, BTW).
I'm trying to organize the aforementioned family cruise in Spring 2015. My brother and I were discussing what type of Caribbean cruise to go on.
Our own cruise requirements:
- 7 day cruise
- Eastern/Southern Caribbean cruise only
- Must not have 2 consecutive days at sea, especially at start*
- Specific Islands not important
- Will be either RCCL or Celebrity (due to prior cruising by me or brother)
I've heard this from every cruise virgin I've ever talked to about cruising.
We are also concerned by having "too many" stops. I don't want them feeling rushed, or feeling that they have to do something at every port. I don't want them complaining afterwards that the trip was too hectic. I want them to want to cruise again!
With that said, I have picked out 1 ship from each which has itineraries that we think will meet the above conditions:
- Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan
- 4 stops with two Days at Sea (stop, stop, Day at Sea, repeat)
- 5 stops with one Day at Sea at the beginning
- Celebrity Summit out of San Juan
- Various itineraries
- Either Day at sea first and then 5 stops, or
- 5 stops with Day at Sea before final stop
- Siblings range from 45 to 65
- 2 siblings will have high school age children, otherwise the rest of us would be just husband/wife
- We are all in the Midwest (MN/WI)
- Organizing these people is like herding cats
I'm interested in opinions. For you well seasoned cruisers, who know all the ins and outs, you'll have to think back to some of your first cruises.
"Original" Star Princess, Jan. 1990 (FLL to Nassau, ST. Thomas and San Juan)
Splendour of the Seas, April 2007 (Galveston to Cozumel and Costa Maya)
Adventure of the Seas, March 2009 (San Juan to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas)
Voyager of the Seas, February 2012 (NO to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
Liberty of the Seas, February 2013 (FLL to Labadee and Jamaica)
Rhapsody of the Seas, Aug 2013 (Alaska)
Adventure of the Seas, March 2015 (San Juan to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao)
Freedom of the Seas, Feb 2016 (Pt. Canaveral to Labadee, Falmouth, Cayman's, Cozumel)
Majesty of the Seas Nov. 2016 (Pt. Canaveral to Coco Cay and Nassau)
Allure of the Seas Feb 2018 (FLL to Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Kitts)
Radiance of the Seas, August 2018 (Alaska)